Start by marking “The Great American Detox Diet: Feel Better, Look Better, and Lose Weight by Cleaning Up Your Diet” as Want to Read:

Published June 27th 2006 by Rodale Books (first published June 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Great American Detox Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great American Detox Diet

Bark's Book Nonsense
First off, this isn't a "diet" this book expects a complete lifestyle change - forever. It's not a quickie fix cleansing so with that said on to the review.

I didn't learn anything new from this book probably because I've read too many books & seen too many scary documentaries on the sorry state of our food system but it did get me motivated to work my way back to a veggie lifestyle and attempt to cut down on the sweets and caffeine overload that gets me through the day.

This book is a good st
Devon
Feb 05, 2008 Devon rated it did not like it
I got this book out of the library because I found the author's recipe for "Creamy" Potato Leek soup online and I really liked it. I figured the book might have some other good recipes. It has a few but I was mostly disappointed.

As for the book itself - stuff I already knew (Don't eat pre-packaged foods! Drink lots of water!) combined with a lot of pseudo-science. And no citations, even though there should be.
Kate  Maxwell
Nov 10, 2012 Kate Maxwell rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. If anyone is looking for a quick summary of nutrition, this is actually a great book about the basics of nutrition. It looks as if there are some good recipes as well. Alex Jamieson helped to heal her fiance, the man who made 'SuperSize Me' with an eight week program that includes adding more water into your life, getting rid of caffeine and sugar, making sure you eat the right carbohydrates, fats and proteins. But this book does go in to more detail than that, and ...more
Alexandra
May 01, 2008 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who feel unwell and don't know why, people interested in food and effects on the body
Shelves: food-and-cooking
Finished the book and tried quite a few of the recipes. I am still detoxing and lose weight slowly and constantly.
And I feel so balanced :)

I got this book because I felt I needed to detox. This book is great. The author explains in detail which food is doing what to your body and how. How do carbohydrates differ? What exactly does a trans fat do to you that is so bad? And lots more interesting stuff that motivates me to keep eating more healthily. Since I've come to live in the US 5 months ago I
Emily Crow
Aug 31, 2013 Emily Crow rated it it was ok
Shelves: healthy-quest
I enjoyed Alex's part in the documentary "Supersize Me." The food she was preparing (she's a vegan chef) looked delicious, and I liked the dynamic between her and Morgan.

So, as to this book (which I checked out of the library): It's not terrible. The first part, about her own background and why she became a chef, was the best.

As for the rest, the main problem with the book (as with so many other books on this topic) is not that it's bad, so much that there's really nothing new. If you've alrea
Lisa Kekaula
Jan 16, 2011 Lisa Kekaula rated it really liked it
Alex Jamieson is the wife of Morgan Spurlock who created "Super-size Me." This book is the product of his road to recovery from his 30 day McDonalds diet. I have read a number of books on health, nutrition, diet and such. All of which seem to reiterate the same core information that we should be eating "real" food that we prepare and a lot less of it. With her background in nutrition and food preparation, Alex Jamieson's book was factually intriguing and logical. Her approach is vegan but not ...more
Kelly
Jan 19, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Is it possible to highlight an ENTIRE book? I think I got really close. I got this book after eating a bit too much garbage over the holidays and wanted a detox/cleanse type of book. I had heard of Supersize Me but had never actually seen the movie and didn't even realize the connection with this book until it arrived and I started reading it.

Love the way the book is broken down into catagories of foods. And I like how the author gives you just enough science to back up everything and has it mak
Tanya
Jun 26, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013, health
I got this last year after re-watching Super Size Me. I finally read it and it has some useful information. I like how she suggests detoxifying in baby steps-week by week. It does not give a detailed plan, but gives suggestions to rid yourself of sugars, caffeine, fats, processed foods, etc. There are not really any footnotes, but a lot of the information I have also read in other books and in Forks Over Knives. I plan on using some of the suggestions and I use one of the smoothies in the recipe ...more
Linda
Jun 12, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
After meeting Alex at the vegetarian event back in April, I couldn't say no to buying her book. A bit more practical than The Beauty Detox Solution, Jameson instilled the same principles of eat less, more fresh vegetables, reduce gluten and focus on whole grains. Whats really great is the end third of the book is great recipes, many of which I have tried. I did have to buy a bunch of new ingredients, but I find that to be fun and creative. A must read for people interested in nutrition.
Dec 16, 2009 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Shelves: food
I usually shy away from things that say anything remotely similar to "Feel Better, Look Better, and Lose Weight!" but in this case I'll forgive the gimicky title because I've heard that Jamieson includes a lot of great info about the enrichment process, oil processing, and plastics. You know, really exciting stuff! Seriously though, this (I'm hoping) is a book about much much more than just a diet.
Plus she's married to the Super Size Me dude.
Andrew
May 17, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it
A few thing I didn't like and thought maybe she should have researched more was Colonics.They are useless and can do way more harm than good.Your Colon naturally sheds it's lining.You can read more about it if you visit Dr. Weil.com.A world renowned Dr.Juice is the other issue,as it is a empty calorie beverage.Your better off juicing yourself,drinking water or eating the fruit itself.As with any book like this one,it's best to get a few ideas and apply them to your current lifestyle.
David Waller
Oct 15, 2012 David Waller rated it it was amazing
Still reading, but this book will really make you want to better your diet and begin reducing the items on your shelf you currently ingest or completely remove it altogether. Yes, yes. We all die eventually, but wouldn't it be nice to go out dying in a little less pain than the others? I have been reading this on and off for some time, and re-reading sections on and off as time progresses. It is like an instruction manual for life diet.
Randi
So far, so good. She makes an excellent case for encouraging detox rather than use the word diet. Though, a diet change is exactly what we all need and she even says so. Both detox and diet being loaded words, she opts for detox.
Update 12/2012 - Still working on it. Slowly. I get distracted easily from non-fiction works. Can't help it.
Dhali
Feb 02, 2013 Dhali rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
As a near-vegan I like to read food/nutrition/diet/recipe books to remind myself why I'm following the vegan regime. This is a nice summary of good things to do for your body and yourself, i.e. drink more water, eat less fat, stick to while grains and complex carb etc etc.

Some references or sources would have been nice.
Susan
Jan 10, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Great recipes!

A lot of this is not really groundbreaking, but Jamieson explains in a clear, conversational, non-hysteric way why certain things are good for you, while other things are not. Though she is vegan, I didn't feel as if any agenda was being pushed--it was just "please improve your health." Refreshing!
Liz
Jul 11, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved Alex's writing style--so practical and helpful. She really knows her food--and the chemical make-up of different food elements and how it affects the body. I found this book fascinating, and very educational!
leanne
Dec 20, 2008 leanne rated it really liked it
5 stars for the delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes in the back, 3 stars for the nutritional argument Jamieson makes in the first three-quarters, don't like how the book's title pushes the nutritional concepts discussed under the guise of a weight loss tool-type book.
Nicole
Mar 07, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
She definitely makes some interesting points in this book. After reading it my fiance and I are making a point to eat better and eat more organic or locally grown food. She has some quick and easy recipes included.
Julia
Sep 03, 2009 Julia rated it it was ok
This book was written by the wife of Morgan Spurlock, the man who ate only McDonalds for 30 days and filmed the results for 'Supersize Me'. It's a fairly basic nutritional book with some recipes at the end. It's interesting, but nothing ground-breaking.
Angeline
May 29, 2009 Angeline rated it liked it
By the partner of Morgan Spurlock who did Super Size Me. She's a vegan chef and unveils the truth about the gunk in our food.
Tauna
Jun 15, 2010 Tauna rated it it was ok
Good info, nothing "new". We are making some changes based on it though. Would be nice if she had data and references to back up her info.
Elise
Mar 01, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is the only true and not trend not.Healthy eating needs to be coupled with exercise as well as a healthy social life.Plus,it has great recipes too!
Kim
Jul 23, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
Pretty standard vegan advice from the girlfriend of Morgan Spurlock (of "Supersize me" fame). Not as easy to read as some.
shannon
Oct 12, 2008 shannon rated it it was ok
i always turn to hippie crap during fibromyalgia flareups. i probably should start looking at more gluten-free stuff. sigh.
Tonia Johnson
Aug 15, 2007 Tonia Johnson rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Everyone
Pretty good book, but you probably won't learn anything new. Drink lots of water, eat right and exercise. How many times can you hear that? Good vegan recipes.
Tessa
Feb 18, 2010 Tessa rated it liked it
I liked the emphasis on eating whole grains, fruits, and vegetables and how they can make us feel better. I am going to try some of the recipes.
Deb
The book by "Supersize Me" author Morgan Spurlock's wife. The plan that "detoxed" him after his experience and a good basic guide to the why's and how's of a vegan diet.
Jeff Wilson
Pretty good. Nothing too groundbreaking...but some good ideas. Good for those needing some motivation when it comes to eating better.
Alissa
Jun 05, 2007 Alissa rated it it was ok
Full of facts with no sources listed, this book could have been written by grabbing info while surfing the web.... But the recipes are great.
Christopher Brehm
Dec 16, 2015 Christopher Brehm rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, food
Good explanations of how food affects health and a plan to eat well. Even if you don't follow the plan exactly and implement a few of the changes it will make a big difference in your health.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • Living Cuisine: The Art of Spirit of Raw Foods
  • Overcoming Binge Eating
  • The Tapping Solution for Weight Loss & Body Confidence: A Woman's Guide to Stressing Less, Weighing Less, and Loving More
  • Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide
  • Turbo-charge Your Life in 14 Days
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source
  • The 3-Day Cleanse: Drink Fresh Juice, Eat Real Food, and Get Back into Your Skinny Jeans
  • Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet Cookbook & Cure
  • Green Smoothies Diet: The Natural Program for Extraordinary Health
  • The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss
  • 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • The Thrive Diet
  • The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharp Brain, Balanced Mood, and Lean, Energized Body
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Williams-Sonoma Collection: Soup
Alexandra Marie "Alex" Jamieson is a natural foods chef, author, speaker, TV personality, and holistic health counselor.

She was married to documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock from 2006 to 2011. They have one son together.
More about Alex Jamieson...