Start by marking “Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  315,931 ratings  ·  16,310 reviews
Magic is dangerous; but love is more dangerous still.

In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into
Published August 31st 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Angel, please sign up.

Julie Stout I actually preferred to read Mortal Instruments before... Gave me a better sense of the shadow hunter world in the Infernal Devices.
Sophie I read the first five books of the mortal instruments first, then the infernal devices, and then City of Heavenly Fire. If you read the infernal…moreI read the first five books of the mortal instruments first, then the infernal devices, and then City of Heavenly Fire. If you read the infernal devices before city of heavenly fire, then it makes the book seen so much deeper and more interesting. You can read either first I guess, it's your choice. But I recommend that you read at least the first three of the mortal instruments before you start the infernal devices.(less)
Moon Called by Patricia BriggsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDark Lover by J.R. WardDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
100 Books to Read in 2011
15th out of 602 books — 501 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
2011 Summer Reading List
2nd out of 50 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
Wendy Darling
A fan of Will Herondale, are you? Prepare to swoon.

The Dirty Sexy Attic Scene, from Will's point of view: http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/loss1

Yeah, yeah, it's a little over the top in parts, but who cares? :D Yum

Merged review:

I don't give many 5 star reviews, but this one is definitely a 5 star book for me. While I liked Mortal Instruments, I wasn't as rabid a fan as I know many people are, so I read Clockwork Angel out of curiosity more than anything else...and I'm so glad I did!

This book is
Etnik
Mountain View

____________________________________________

____________________________________________

Mountain View

☆☆☆☆☆5 FULLY STARS!☆☆☆☆☆

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I never thought this could be that good.I had started "City of Bones" (the first book of The Mortal Instruments by the same author) but it didn't work for me so I thought this could be the same but I was t

Janina
To be honest, I’m not quite sure how to rate this book. It wasn’t all bad, but I wouldn’t say it was good either. It was rather boring at times and the story dragged heavily, especially in the middle and towards the end. None of the characters has become particularly dear to me. I didn’t buy the love story.
However, I think I would have liked it much better if I hadn’t read the Mortal Instruments series before. But the books are so similar (which was to be expected, I know, as they are set in th
Cara
Jul 14, 2014 Cara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A must for TMI fans
Oh you guessed it I read this to up my book count! So, granted it's not an entire book but I really needed to catch up.

For those of you that didn't know about it here is the link. It's the attic scene from the Will's perspective.

This just made me more excited for Clockwork Prince to come out. Goodness I am not patient these days!

Merged review:

Seriously blown away doesn't even cover it. I have to admit I had my doubts and reservations about how this book was going to turn out. We have the eve
Mizuki
This book got 1.5 stars from me simply because I was also reading Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck, and comparing with Tiger's Quest, Clockwork Angel looks like it deserves 1.5 stars...

In order to save you some precious time, I will tell you my honest reaction to Clockwork Angel right here, right now:

Thank you, Shou.

Also, when I first opened the book, I was faced by this description as well:

Magic is dangerous-but love is more dangerous still.

*sighs* What kind of soap-operatic shit is that!? I hat
Kat O'Keeffe
This book was SO GOOD! I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of 3rd person past tense, so it did take me a little while to get into it, but once I did WOW! The world building and the characters and the story are all fantastic and woven together SO well, and the ending was brilliant, full of action and surprises! I've already grown attached to these characters and have become invested in their story and their secrets--I'm especially dying to know what's going on with Will!

Overall, an EXCELLENT fir
Sandra
Most people are constantly raving on about Clockwork Angel and the whole TID trilogy being better than TMI, and i'm like 'I ain't gonna believe that shit til i see it'. So, i brought the book. Was it better from TMI? Big, fat NO.

The beginning (1-100 pg)
tumblr mkgjge Er031qlxvxuo1 500 zps6d211303

100-200 pages
bored zps81708225

The beginning till the middle was horrible. I had to force myself to keep on reading. It was so tedious i had to fight the urge to fall asleep. Most of the stuff was not even relevant and important! There was so much small, annoy
Reader-ramble
Oct 02, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one.
Cassie Clare. We meet again.

I apparently have gained a following because of these reviews, and they have convinced me to use my analytical powers on The Infernal Devices series. You could say I'm easily swayed because I lack dignity. But this is really just too much fun. It's so much fun, I need to be stroking a cat.

First, the usual disclaimer. This review contains spoilers, griping, whining, over thinking, and general ranting. Trolls need not apply.

Let's get started.

Ladies and gents. Gather 'ro
Joyzi
Dec 26, 2010 Joyzi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of TMI trilogy
Recommended to Joyzi by: Cassandra Clare
Heather
As my fellow readers well know, I adore Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments Series with unrivaled passion. After all, Jace Wayland is my fictional husband, it’s only natural I would want to devour anything written by the woman who thought him into existence. But…when I read the synopsis of ClockworkAngel, I was a bit reluctant to begin another journey that existed in the same world as my beloved Jace, Clary, and Co., even it is set 100 some odd years prior. I intuitively felt that the only way ...more
Amy
Having read Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments series beforehand and having only found them to be entertaining but certainly not amazing, I began Clockwork Angel with fairly modest expectations, anticipating at the most, unique characters and humor abound. Never did I imagine that it would find its way into my list of all-time favorites, but very frankly, there it is. Wow. Be forewarned: this book is no literary great. There is no literary aspiration here, no groundbreaking prose, no food for ...more
Katieb (MundieMoms)
I have read some amazing series, by some wonderful authors. Most of the time I find that I love one or two of their books, and only a couple of their characters. Then there's Cassandra Clare, who introduces me to a whole new world in her Mortal Instruments Series. She has a whole cast of unique characters that keep me engrossed in the storyline. Now there's Clockwork Angel.

Cassandra Clare is brilliant! Not only did Cassie captivate me with her Victorian Era setting (in London) and transport me i
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
First rating: 4 stars.
Reread rating: 4 stars again

"This is what is real, and the life I had before was a dream."
"That is correct. And now is the time to wake up"

Cassandra Clare is and always will be a fantastic writer when it comes to worldbuilding and sucking the reader into a book.

photo angelquote.png

Tessa, an American teenage girl in 1878 has recently suffered the loss of her Aunt when her brother sends her a ticket to travel from New York to London. Upon arrival, Tessa is abducted by a sinister duo who c
Kana
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
AHHHHHHH
Penny
**More like 2.9 stars, so I went ahead and rounded it up.**

If you've been following my reviews you know that I love underdogs. I'm not entirely sure why I love underdogs. I just do. Perhaps it's my belief that underdogs typically have the potential to be top dog if they just try a little harder, put a little more effort into whatever they're trying to accomplish.

So I stand on the sidelines cheering like a maniac for the underdog, despite the odds, despite their performance in the past. Thinking
Stacia (the 2010 club)
4.5 stars. This book was a fun read, a bit darker than the MI books, but still easy to enjoy. I know that many of the diehard MI fans say this one isn't quite as good, but I disagree. Clockwork Angel was a better first installment to a series than City of Bones was. Did I like it better than my favorite MI book, which was City of Glass? No. City of Glass is still my favorite. But if I'm only comparing first book vs. first book, this one blows CoB out of the water.

Of course, there are connections
Jason Koivu
Girls deserve better than this. Literarily speaking, this writing is good enough, but damn it, who wants good enough?

I say "girls" because this is the target audience of Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Angel. Love, emotions, strong female characters, this has them in spades. On the negative side, it also panders a bit with overt book love, puppy love and petty angst.

Regardless of the testosterone that was gushing through my boy parts, I might've enjoyed the heck out of this when I was 12 or 13ish,
Amelia
WARNING :
For everyone out there, bookbloggers and mundanes alike, there is no way to avoid the inevitable. You will fall in love with William Herondale, given codename: #101

SYMPTOMS
Include: Crying without stopping. Having dreams which occur after reading about #101. Shortness of breath. The incapability of being about the form sentences. Thinking about #101 non-stop. Day-dreaming about #101. Chest pains. A sudden fear of Ducks. Quoting lines from books at random. Smiling, whilst thinking abou
Ceilidh
My review of the first book in her Mortal Instruments trilogy, “City of Bones”, was hardly the glowing review of the year, and anyone with a white belt in google knowledge can look up the less than clean history of Miss Cla(i)re and her fandom shenanigans. I bring them up here because, as I mentioned in my first review of her work, her work reads like fanfiction (with one whole passage of it taken from her most famous Harry Potter fanfiction, as you can see from here.) So I knew I’d never read t ...more
Kate ♡
Actual rating:
4.5/5
5 months later and i've finally finished this book!! hahahah!!! What an accomplishment, I've been reading it for so long and just kept putting it down, not because i wasn't enjoying it, jut because i have to be in the mood for Cassandra Clare books and i just wasn't at the time i picked it up... anyway...
This book was such a roller coaster! I love Jem, also really like Will, Jessamine, Sophie and Tessa. The characters are so great, much like the setting of London in this book.
Choco
Mar 03, 2014 Choco marked it as apologies-did-not-get-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Choco by: Persephone

Update: Crap, I lost my chapter 1 and 2 nitpicks. I'm so sorry, I took off the links now. If I go back to this book, I'll post them again. I don't know.
-----

This is going to be a slow, long read. Thank you to Persephone for giving me a copy.

----
It is time to explain why Clare's characters and story don't make sense, and I know I'm only 10% through the book, but this is important, because I will forget about it later.

All right, so far, Tessa gets off the ship and then these two ladies are like,
♥ Becky  22

<-- I'm the queen of fanart.

After Reading:
To everyone who told me to read this: Much obliged. ;)
Can I just say that Will and Jem are both amazing in their own ways and I could never choose one of them over the other? That has never happened to me! I'm always so firm in my opinion about which love interest I prefer. But here? Team Both! I love Will (troubled and funny) as much as I love Jem (kind and sweet).

This book was epic from the beginning on. It's been years since I've read TMI, but
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
*Tries to speak and fails* *Pauses* *Tries to speak again …and fails again* I really don't know where to start. This book …it was …AAAHHHH!!!! There is no word to express its awesomeness. I just read it for six hours straight without putting it down. What a page-turner!

Okay okay okay *Calms down a little* I will try to break this down.

So, I'm a huuuuge Mortal Instruments fan. Love the series to death. Read it three times. Thus, I saw two possibilities for Infernal Devices. A) I was afraid it wou
Kira
ARGH!

I'm sorry, Cassandra Clare. I really and truly am. I loved TMI, but this book is insufferable. And that's a shame, because the writing is really quite stellar. If you'd written like this in TMI, I'd probably be less inclined to label the original series enjoyable fluff.

(I feel bad saying that. It's just...yeah. TMI is my guilty pleasure. When I read it, I read it with a big doofy idiot smile on my face. It's just so much fun.)

Okay, so let me confess something: I don't like steampunk. It doe
Lauren DeStefano
I want to jump into the spines of Clare's books and live in the worlds she creates.
Dorothy
First, I'm going to tell you that this is a completely spoiler-free review, so don't be scared of reading on.

Second, I'm going to tell you that I loved this book.

And third, I'm going to tell you why I wasn't sure I would.

I am a huge fan of Cassandra Clare. I have been following her writing since long before City of Bones was published. I run this website, I've stalked her book signings, bugged the heck out of her on Twitter, and I had the privilege of receiving an ARC of City of Glass in January
Donna
POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT!!!

When I read City of Bones, I didn't have much issue with the story itself as I did with the writing. The text was drowning in descriptions and the plot was very derivative. I didn't read on in the series because while I was entertained by the story, I wasn't entertained enough to try and slog through Clare's writing again. I have been told that her writing does get better as the series went on but I still didn't venture.

Until Clockwork Angel. I figured by now the writin
Isamlq
It’s no secret that I’m a big gigantic fan of the Mortal Instruments series. So when news of Infernal Devices came out, I was excited, to say the least. However, when it did actually come out, I made this ridiculous promise to myself not to read it till the rest of the series was out as well. RIDICULOUS, as I have just found out. What was I thinking? Postponing my inevitable falling in love with yet another YA-PNR/UF/Steampunk novel, that's what... ugh! My will power lasted up to a few days ago ...more
  • The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey, #4)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2)
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein Trilogie, #2)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy, #5)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga, #4)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Captivate (Need, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)

“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” 10767 likes
“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.” 6863 likes