Start by marking “The Prairie” as Want to Read:
The Prairie
Read Book* *Different edition

The Prairie (The Leatherstocking Tales #5)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  892 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published January 1st 2010 by MobileReference (first published 1825)

To ask other readers questions about The Prairie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prairie

Neil
I have now read the entire Leatherstocking Tales and regret to say that I rank The Prairie next to last on the good book scale for that series. ( The Pathfinder scored lowest for me, but I will give it another chance and read it again because I really didn’t pay much attention to it the first time. ) My disappointment with The Prairie lay in the plot itself, not the message. Cooper unabashedly criticized western expansion at a time when the nation believed it had a divine right to displace the o ...more
Robin
I actually might have rated this a 3.75 if you could give quarter stars.

I didn't think this book was as bad as some of the others in this Leather Stocking Series. Usually Natty goes off on tangents about Faith, Race and other things, but I found him somewhat subdued in this book. He does go off on how he's an old man, a Chritian and not so educated but again, it's quite mild in comparison to some of the other books.

I found it interesting and exciting here and there too. So almost 4 starts just n
Sarah C
I take it Fenimore was not so familiar with this landscape as his descriptions of the prairie, to me, didn't convince. Natty, now a very old man, is the fittest 80/90 year old man in existence. Still, it was a good story and for me quite emotional at the end as our hero has become "my friend" over all the five books of the leather-stocking series. Very corny in places and sometimes predictable but I shall miss reading about his adventures. I have really enjoyed this series of books, at times the ...more
Jim Kisela
This 1830 novel reads reasonably well today, and in fact, is quite contemporary in its reflection on how civilization is changing the landscape (and not for the better), and how the settlers disrespected and mistreated the original native inhabitants.

I kept stopping myself and asking: "When was this written, because the language and issues are so pertinent".

The use of the word "parachute" really surprised me because I thought of it as a modern word, in relation to airplanes and flying. I wasn't
Trounin
В очередной книге Купера об индейцах прерия становится новой декорацией для происходящих событий. Не так важно, о чём будет сюжет, поскольку он мало отличается от аналогичных ему других произведений автора. Вновь читателя ждут высокопарные слова, романтически настроенные герои, индейские размолвки и бесконечная мудрость людей, осознающих крушение одного мира в угоду процветания другого. Каждый герой увлечён своим собственным делом, а их встреча друг с другом — удачное/неудачное стечение обстояте ...more
Gena Lott
The first book I read by Cooper and I certainly took things out of order. It took a while for me to get into Cooper's stride. But the book is deep and rich, though parts are haunting. I must read some of his other books. I consider his work some that any "well read" person should have purused!
Jonathan
This is not JFC's most scintillating novel. But it's an important glimpse of life on the Great Plains at the end of Natty Bumpo's life. A melancholy, downbeat coda to the energetic stories of the French & Indian War, almost a lifetime before the events of The Pioneers. The hero has lost everything --even his name it seems-- except his rifle, his dog, and his wits. He's on the plains because there is no more solitude in the forest. Most of the characters he meets, Native American and white, a ...more
Mark Oppenlander
Fabian
Analyze the shit outta any of these classics and you are bound to discover the golden nugget that someone somewhere once found and classified as such. Not the case with this, the last of the Leatherstocking tales, one not for modern readers. At all.

Campfire philosophy is perhaps the least interesting aspect of this tale (the opposite case of, say, the superlative "Lonesome Dove") which is about 200 years old… and by setting all players on leveled, even ground (Shakespeare’s plays are often quote
Ross
This book is simply awful. It was written in the 1820's about the far west of which the author knew nothing. Of course he was writing for an audience that also knew nothing of the far west.
The book starts with the characters camped on the west bank of the Missouri River and the next day they reach the Rocky Mountains pulling their wagon by hand. The quality of the prose is childish and the story line is absurd.
This book came out shortly after "The Last of the Mohicans" which I read as a child 6
Tony Paulson
This book was really challenging to read! The plot seemed to never fully develop and the dialogue was absurd at times, especially the long philosophical speeches in the midst of climactic conflicts. Some of the better points were the interesting characters and themes of honor and chivalry common among his other books. I rated this so low because it just seemed to be so incoherently written.
Michael Roy
Worth a read

Not quite at the same level as The Last of the Mohicans, but satisfying overall, as it tells the last years of Leatherstocking. it is also an interesting description of the move westward across the prairies. with examples of both positive and negative interactions between whites and natives.
Kurt
Wow. written in 1827 it's not only a good story, it's the arch type for all Western books and movies to come, and a study in the developing American character, both mythic and real. I'm amazed (and grateful) it hasn't been made into a movie or mini TV series.
Aaron Cance
If one can read books promiscuously, as I was reassured in graduate school that one could, I read all five of the books in this series like a complete whore, giving myself entirely over to the story - loved all five. A word of caution, however: They were written in a different order than the chronology of the narrative. Imagine my disappointment at the Deerslayer's death at the end of the third book out of five.

The order that the author produced them:

The Pioneers
Last of the Mohicans
The Prairie
T
Tahca
I loved this book ,however, I found that at times it dragged on a little too far. But other than that its plot, characters , and description were amazing!
Patrick Walsh
In The Writer's Almanac for 15th September 2013, the writers noted the birthday anniversary of James Fenimore Cooper, the author of the series known as the Leatherstocking Tales. The comment was made that Cooper made the "wild, untamed America seem romantic." Having read the entire series, I can understand that comment as it applies to some of the storytelling, but I find the notion that the fourth and fifth novels in the series (in historical order, not order of writing) are romantic to be at o ...more
Cemal Özenir
The entire Leather-Stocking series by James Fenimore Cooper ...
5 books ...
approximately 2400 pages ...
just over 9 weeks of reading ...

An excellent slice of classic American literature - well worth the effort ! ! !
Lukerik
Reading the Leatherstocking Tales is a bit like being gang raped: there are five of them, it went on for hours and I didn't enjoy it.
D. Fackelman
An outstanding finish to The Leatherstocking Tales.
Michael
Lindsey
I read most of this book for a class earlier in the semester, but I didn't have a chance to finish it until today. Yes, Cooper can be longwinded, but for the most part I found the descriptions beautiful, and I was surprised by how involved I became in the plot. Also, since this is the final book in the Leatherstocking series, Natty's character is quite old, which makes him more humble and less obnoxious than he is in the Deerslayer (at least from what Brian has told me). Overall, a thoroughly en ...more
Data
Hawkeye rules forever! Cooper is once again the master of action, with some soliloquy that rivals the bard. You can find a wide range of truths in this novel, with some wise comment on human nature and the environment. It's worth wading through the prose of the time to get a darn good story, and realize that logical thinking has always given good answers on a lot of subjects. A little slow to get into it, but I couldn't put it down by the end.
Tessa
2.5 I'm done! Cooper is long winded. He's a better storyteller than Brockton Brown, but holy cow, get to the point. It didn't help that I was behind the reading schedule for class and was constantly trying to catch up.

Influential contribution to American literature, but it in no way compels me to read more of Cooper. Good discussions in class about it.

I did like the portrayal of Ishmael and Mahtoree.
Melodee
Aug 28, 2008 Melodee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys reading adventures
Shelves: misc
This book continued the Leatherstocking Tales series. It tells the story of a man who loves the wilderness, and fights against the progress of "civilization." He befriends certain Indians, and fights with others, then goes his own way. I won't spoil the ending for anyone who wishes to read it, but it is sad. I enjoyed this book, and look forward to reading the next installment.
Kendra
Another book club pick. Almost exactly what I expected. Quite lovely in parts, unbearably tedious in others, with dialogue that makes you want to tear your hair out (if real frontiers-people were this long-winded, they all would have been dead before finishing a sentence). Still, entertaining to a certain degree.
D
A neat story and a worthy completion of the Leatherstocking Tales. The Deerslayer is still my favourite.
Peter Wolfley
There's a reason James Fenimore Cooper is no longer read and it almost all has to do with the fact that he takes 500 pages to tell you a story he could have told in 150. It was good to get at least one of his books under my belt because he was a big deal in 19th century America.
Michelle
I didn't love it, even after talking about it in my English class. The characters were flat. The action scenes not exciting enough. There is some value, but I don't think it is Cooper's best work. Plus, it needed a good editor. It is a good example of early American literature.
Fredrick Danysh
The closing work of the series featuring Natty Bumppo. Seeking solitude on the Great Plains, he is drawn back to society through interaction with an emigrant group. Once again he comes into conlict with civilization.
  • Kenilworth
  • The Sea-Wolf and Selected Stories
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
  • The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes & Misfortunes, His Friends & His Greatest Enemy
  • New Orleans Sketches
  • Osceola the Seminole: The Red Fawn of the Flower Land
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • No Thoroughfare
  • Winnetou III: Winnetou Gugur
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea / The Mysterious Island / Journey to the Centre of the Earth / Around the World in Eighty Days
  • Бегущая по волнам
  • At the Foot of the Rainbow
  • The Wrong Side of Paris
  • Fairoaks
  • The Angry Wife
  • Selected Writings
James Fenimore Cooper was a popular and prolific American writer. He is best known for his historical novel The Last of the Mohicans, one of the Leatherstocking Tales stories, and he also wrote political fiction, maritime fiction, travelogues, and essays on the American politics of the time. His daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper was also a writer.

Series:
* The Leatherstocking Tales
* The Littlepage Man
More about James Fenimore Cooper...

The Leatherstocking Tales (5 books)
  • The Deerslayer (The Leatherstocking Tales, #1)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2)
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
  • The Pioneers
The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2) The Deerslayer (The Leatherstocking Tales, #1) The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3) The Pioneers The Spy

“Advice is not a gift, but a debt that the old owe to the young.” 3 likes
“The air, the water, and the ground are free gifts to man, and no one has the power to portion them out in parcels. Man must drink, breath, and walk - and therefore each has a right to his share of earth.” 3 likes