Start by marking “Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love” as Want to Read:
Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love

Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love (13 Tales)

3.61  ·  Rating Details ·  2,578 Ratings  ·  343 Reviews
Full of dark seduction and modern romance, this short story collection presents a variety of talented voices sure to satisfy every werewolf, ghost, fallen angel, zombie, and shape-shifter’s dark desires.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Me Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Me Deadly

Khalia Hades
Dec 12, 2010 Khalia Hades rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
***SPOILER ALERT!!!***

The Assassin's Apprentice by Michelle Zink - This was actually one of my favorites stories. It deals with vengeance, danger and love. I really hope Ms. Zink will endeavor in creating a series or even a stand-alone about these characters. I'm definitely interested in learning more about them.

Errant by Diana Peterfreund - If you've read Ms. Peterfreund's Rampant, then you'll definitely recognize this world. It's a story about two very different individuals who can find a comm
Lexie
Mar 12, 2010 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
Stories are reviewed individually with a wrap up overall after.

"The Assassin's Apprentice" by Michelle Zink
A young girl wishes vengeance on the demon who slew her parents, but is she being aided or hindered by a mysterious young man named Asher? Obviously, not set in her Prophecy of the Sisters books. That said, everything I loved about PotS remains true here. Rose is not an easy person to get along with--too stubborn as she freely admits and Asher is much too secretive to be trustworthy in my o
Wealhtheow
A collection of stories, some better than the others. Although all concern the para/super/unnatural, not all of them relate to romantic love, or even love in general.

Michelle Zink, "The Assassin's Apprentice." Clunkily written, with poorly developed characters, a mere sketch of a romance, and sprinkled with malapropisms(ex: "They moved silently through the shadows of our world, doing their duty without worldly aplomb or association.")

Diana Peterfreund, "Errant." Marvelous. In medieval France, a
Greta is Erikasbuddy
The Assasin's Apprentice - Michelle Zink

One of those Warrior Angel stories mingled with a girly who is super smart and talks like she lives in the past but I figure its the future.

Was hard to follow the plot and the romance felt rushed but I guess it has to when its a short story.

I left the story feeling unsatisfied.

2 Stars

Errant - Diana Peterfreund

An interesting take on killer mean blood thirsty marly ugly unicorns. I guess that's how everyone is doing unicorns now-a-days.

Set in a far off time
Catalina Sennett
The Assassin's Apprentice By Michelle Zink
Interesting!! I would read this if it were a longer book, filled with more of the demon hunting adventures! The romance was too rushed, but it is a short story, so...kinda expected right?

Errant by Diana Peterfreund
Unicorns! This wasn't really a romance story, but it had unicorns so it was good.

The Spirit Jar by Karen Mahoney
I didn't get into this one much, I skipped through it mostly. Done with vampires I swear...

Lost by Justine Musk
Cute story based on
Susan
I'm glad to be done with this, if only to get Lita Ford out of my head.

Maggie Stiefvater's contribution was easily the best in the book, and I only wish the other authors had written to her standard. Oh well. I do recommend that Daniel Marks stop writing female characters until he can come up with a motivation that doesn't involve sexual jealousy. It's like a whole story with the sole purpose of failing the Bechdel test.
Donna
Dec 26, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came at this one with two minds. KISS ME DEADLY has been sitting on my review shelf for far too long and I remember when I initially took it on it sounded really interesting and just dark enough that I thought I would enjoy it. When I picked it up to read a few weeks ago, I asked myself, "what the hell was I thinking?" PNR? ME? Do I know me right now? I try to stay as far away from PNR as I can right now. I don't do romance as a default, PNR especially because not only does it not interest me ...more
Nely
Apr 14, 2010 Nely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, autographed
First things first, from the moment I heard of this book I could not help but salivate over it just at the thought of so many of my favorite authors all within the same book. Here is a quick synopsis of the stories inside:

Shruthi
This ranged from Becca Fitzpatrick (she wrote the monstrosity known as Hush, Hush) to Maggie Stiefvater (one of my all time favourite authors).
♔Insomnia
It took me just a half a year and ten days, but I managed to finish this book (yaaay?). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't THAT bad, it's just, I wasn't in the right mood for YA books. And that mood probably shifts every half a year, so I should better spent this half with my nose stuck in all the YA goodness. Back to the book, it had 13 YA stories about paranormal romance. It should have been that way, at least, but this anthology consisted of so much more, so I'll just rate each story separately.

1s
Franzie Lovegood
Apr 02, 2010 Franzie Lovegood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Assassin's Apprentice by Michelle Zink is a story about Rose, a Descendant. She's determined to avenge her parents' death from the hand of a demon. Aforementioned demon, on the other hand, is determined to kill her. This is were Asher comes into play; an Assassin, determined to protect her... this story is very well-written. I have not yet read The Prophecy of the Sisters, which I will probably do sooner rather than later. I really liked this take on angels although it was pretty short.

Writi
Casey Ann Books
Kiss Me Deadly is a new young adult paranormal romance anthology containing 13 new stories. It is, sort of, the follow up to 'The Eternal Kiss' YA vampire romance anthology that was out last summer. TEK was awesome and completely worth the money, which not all anthos are, and this one had another great line up of authors so I was really looking forward to it.

It is a decent anthology. Lots of different tales, different styles and some interesting romance options. Probably not the best anthology
Lydia Presley
You know, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. There really aren't any "bad" stories in it, more like.. "okay" stories and "better" stories. I intended to write a short review of each one, but then I realized that was a lot of writing and getting up and down and... yeah, so instead I'll give you a few reviews of the stories I liked best.

Errant - Diane Peterfreund

I'm not a big unicorn fan, I admit it. I think I got burned out when unicorns were all over the cartoons when I w
Caitlin
Aug 21, 2010 Caitlin rated it really liked it
“Errant” By Diana Peterfruend is set in her unicorn world but does not need to be read in any order for her series. It’s a interesting story with two girls who don’t understand each other: Gitta, a hunter and Elise, a noble lady. They soon work together to get what they want.

“The Spiritual Jar” By Karen Mahoney gives a second short story about Moth an 18-year-old vampire sent to London to receive a book for her sire, Theo. Who knew a book could cause so many problems. I really like Moth and her
Lizzy
Aug 25, 2010 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Kiss Me Deadly contains 13 short stories involving paranormal romance. There are quite a few recgonizable names among the contributing authors. Michelle Zink, Sarah Reese Brennan, Carrie Ryan, and Daniel Waters were just a few that drew me to the book. Of course, I also love a good paranormal romance.

Each story offers something different to lovers of the paranormal. There were angels, werewolves, Mara (parasitic empaths), zombies, unicorns, witches, djinns, and so much more. As with all antholog
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Jul 29, 2010 Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) by: goodchoicereadin@aol.com
Shelves: for-review
My Review:

A couple of days ago I received an e-mail from someone at Running Press Book Publishers asking me if I would be interested in doing a review and giveaway of Kiss Me Deadly. So I said yes and I was very excited because some of my favorite authors have a short story in Kiss Me Deadly.

Anyway, I finished reading today and I have to say that this is another first for me. I don't normally read short stories. No reason really, but I just never did. However, I did enjoy reading Kiss Me Deadly.
A.M Bells
I can't rate this book as a whole. :( I mean, I had stories I liked and stories that just left me - meh!
So for my favorite stories, here it goes. And no, it's not a top, it's just the order I read them.

1. Behind the Red Door - Caitlin Kittredge THE SCARY
Freaky story! Spooky and I loved it. I actually hoped for that outcome when Nick first appeared.

2. Familiar - Michelle Rowen THE CUTE
Oh dear, how I loved this story. One it had witches, then it had kittens, and then cute boy. I actually would ha
Angie
Mar 19, 2011 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Got this from the library solely to read Carrie Ryan's Hare Moon, which is the story of Sister Tabitha from The Forest of Hands and Teeth when she was young and how she came to be the person she is in The Forest of Hands and Teeth. While I enjoyed Hare Moon and how it revealed a little more about The Forest of Hands and Teeth world, I thought the story was too short and too rushed. Many of the other short stories which I didn't read were much longer. Fortunately, the third book in The ...more
Sabrina
Sabrina Smith
Short Stories

This collection of thirteen paranormal tales covers the spectrum, including vampires, witches, zombies, werewolves, demons, unicorns, and more, and boasting some popular paranormal authors.
Romance is a theme that brings them together, but more than that the dark intrigue and grandiosity make the stories a cohesive set, in spite of their varying paranormal flavor and authors. Teens that enjoy paranormal stories will devour these bite-size portions, which are not overly
The BookWhisperer
Jul 11, 2010 The BookWhisperer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love compilation novels it is my chance to read something from authors that I love, as well as, authors that I am not currently familiar with. Kiss Me Deadly is a very cool collection of stories from some of my faves including: Maggie Stiefvater, Rachel Vincent, Becca Ftizpatrick, Michelle Rowen, and Michelle Zink. With more authors than just these exceptionally talented few I was able to experience writings from authors that I have not had known of. I will definitely be adding to my TBR piles ...more
Lei
May 13, 2014 Lei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story that stuck with me most was Sarah Rees Brannan's the Spy Who Never Grew Up. Quite creepy and intriguing. Although it was about Peter Pan, it was original. I also like the one by Maggie. There was a twist in the character.
I'm gonna look up the books by some of the authors from this book, like the one who wrote The spirit jar.
Annette
Nov 02, 2011 Annette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011
an average anthology. I found myself delaying grabbing this book. I really liked about 5. I thought that 5 were ok. I'd barely read 3 of them.
The story that I really really loved was the one by Michelle Rowen.
Francy Narvaez
Por primera vez experimente terror hacia Patch, realmente se le ve de una forma más siniestra en este relato pero me encanto conocer la historia antes de Nora, aunque sea solo una parte de ella.
Claire
May 12, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
The stories were really good but it got a bit confusing sometimes when you're reading and all of a sudden there is a complete change of plot, character and setting :)
Naomi
Nov 10, 2010 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kira
ETA June 2013: I was unaware when I reviewed this that there was controversy surrounding this editor. Because the original blog post detailing what happened has been taken down, I can only go by hearsay. Apparently in later anthology, one of the authors wanted to include a homosexual love story and Telep insisted the author change it to a heterosexual one. I don't know if Telep was acting on behalf of the publishing house or her own preferences, but needless to say I won't be buying any more of ...more
Brandee Terry
I love these collections because I get a taste of some new authors.
Christine
All of the stories in this collection have interesting premises and characters, yet some authors were more adept than others at introducing their world, developing their characters and writing a cohesive story with closure in such a short number of pages. Also, it took me a few stories to realize that this anthology is not a collection of paranormal romance shorts as I expected, but rather a collection of supernatural, paranormal or urban fantasy type short stories with romantic elements. The ov ...more
Carolyn
This is a book of short stories of paranormal romance by some very famous authors. Each story is only about 25-35 pages long so is a great book for filling in time between books you have read and may be waiting for. This is why I started reading it. I was waiting for Fire to arrive after reading Graceling and didn’t want to start another book in case Fire arrived. I didn’t read this book in order but chose the stories by the authors I knew first then read the others randomly. I do like these boo ...more
Eliora Vespera

"Them. I can't name Them. Not out loud."
-Maggie Stiefvater's The Hounds of Ulster

My Rating: 8/10

Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love is a compilation of 13 short stories from Sarah Rees Brennan, Becca Fitzpatrick, Caitlin Kittredge, Karen Mahoney, Daniel Marks, Justine Musk, Diana Peterfreund, Michelle Rowen, Carrie Ryan, Maggie Stiefvater, Rachel Vincent, Daniel Waters and Michelle Zink.

The Assassin's Apprentice by Michelle Zink
The first story was one of
What is this about and why so many authors???? 5 14 Jan 03, 2012 05:06PM
  • Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy
  • Brave New Love: 15 Dystopian Tales of Desire
  • The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge
  • The First Time
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
  • Kisses from Hell
  • and Falling, Fly (Harrowing #1)
  • Contagion
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep...

13 Tales (4 books)
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • Wicked Pretty Things: 13 Dark Faerie Romances

“Reading a good book in silence is like eating chocolate for the rest of your life and never getting fat.” 35 likes
“She prays to God, but He's silent. She searches for guidance, but the forest only moans.” 20 likes