Start by marking “Naked Roommate” as Want to Read:
Naked Roommate

Naked Roommate

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  45 reviews

In college, there's a surprise around every corner…

The #1 Student Handbook; Updated 3rd Edition

But that doesn't mean you can't be prepared! From sharing a bathroom with 40 strangers to sharing lecture notes, The Naked Roommate is your behind-the-scenes look at EVERYTHING you need to know about college (but never knew you needed to know).

From sharing a bathroom with 40 st

Published April 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Roommate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Roommate

Rebecca Gordon
As a first generation college student I have received tons of college books for gifts as my family did not have much advice to offer but they wanted to help. I really think college advice books are good for student who parents may have not attended college themselves. The Naked Roomate:And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College by Harlan Cohen is one of the very best college advice books I have read. The book covers many issues faced by college students. It covers topics such as arriving ...more
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
Jul 04, 2011 Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Juniors and Seniors in HS. Freshman in College. Parents
Shelves: how-to-guide
Very Very informative. I really recommend that any ongoing college and or Freshman in College Read this book and utilize the tips. It is very thought provoking and causes the potential student to figure out what type of person they are. It causes one to question themselves. It gives good thoughts to mull over as far as roommates go and school involvement. When reading this, it is important that the reader keep themselves and the type of person they are in the front of their mind. Many of these t ...more
Elizabeth
The book is aimed at new college students, and I'm long past that. But, I'm the parent of a son who is about to be a college student so I decided to read this to see if I could learn anything to help me and my son as he prepares to leave home.
There is a lot of good solid information in this book; the true tales from actual college students are very enlightening and the resources at the end of each chapter contain a wealth of information. Cohen's narration is witty, calming, and helpful. He spea
Alicia
Since freshman year, I've been worrying about college since I will be a first-generation student. This book was exactly what I needed! A little repetitive at times (I think I read that I must wear shoes in the shower at least 8 times!). Very informative though, glad I read it.
Lisa
This book presents issues that face many college students, such as dorm life, roommates, friends, food, class, drinking, drugs, sex, laundry, money, etc. The book is organized and narrated by Harlan Cohen, an encouraging and positive voice, and contains letters, stories,questions, and advice from real college students.

As a parent, I am not as laid back in my attitude about some issues as Harlan, but I recognize college students will be and should be making their own decisions. I would really li
Endia Kneipp
This book is great. When I first read the cover I was skeptical if the information it would present would be silly or not. I didn't think it would really be accurate, but when I finally picked it up I found I was wrong. This book has a flurry of advice on everything you could possibly run into at college. I found myself highlighting every few lines and folding pages to remember them as I read it. I was lucky enough to pick this up right before senior year of high school, and now that I'm going i ...more
Anastasia
Dec 23, 2009 Anastasia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students who are completely clueless
I picked this book up when I was considering writing a How To: College book.

I was very eager to read the many tips and trivia it had amongst it's pages. However, I was fairly disappointed once I did start reading. The tips were genuine and I really appreciated the personal stories it included from some students across the nation. However, the humor was lackluster and the advice was seemingly obvious.

However, I had a few favorite tips that I planned on sharing with a group of first year student
Amy
I read this book during my first semester of college. It gave helpful advice for how to deal with many problems that I know I'll probably encounter, and so now I'm not as worried about them. It also was helpful in telling you how to find your place in college, and I was happy that it said that it can take some time to find that place - sometimes I feel like everyone else has adjusted when I haven't yet. All and all it made me feel not so alone with things like homesickness and fears about dating ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Steph for TeensReadToo.com

I read this book the summer before I started college and it really helped me get a great insight into college life. Harlan Cohen tackles every question and worry that an incoming freshman could think of, and he gives great advice and lots of resources for more information.

Cohen tackles the tough and combats the easy in his book THE NAKED ROOMMATE. He does this with such a flair that readers feel that they can trust him and his advice. The pages full of his h
Erica
For anyone going to college: Read this book. Not all of the tips will apply to you. All of them are phenomenal. I don't usually write reviews, but for this I will make an exception. The tips and stories in this book are truly helpful. Even though I felt confident going into college, I feel even better about my experience now. The Naked Roommate covers everything from relationships (with professors, roommates, friends, and parents) and getting involved on campus, to drug/alcohol abuse and mental ...more
Catherine
A must-read for anyone going to college. Reading it makes me feel so much more prepared, and gives lot of insider info on what college is really like. The author presents the tips with stories from college students from all across the country, giving the reader an idea of just what can really happen. He's very real and unpretentious with his readers, making the book humorous and fun to read. I checked out this book from the library, and liked it so much that I'm probably going to buy myself a co ...more
Sydney
I got this book as a graduation gift before I went to college. It helped me a lot to hear about and get advice before I had to actually deal with those things myself.
Morgan Cheng
Good advice with nice stories
Zach Wener-fligner
I read this book some 4 years ago when I was about to go to college. It is kind of entertaining. Harlan Cohen is like a comforting therapist who makes lame jokes and knows nothing about you. Definitely worth thumbing through when you pause at the "College Guide" shelf at Barnes and Noble. Not worthy of your hard-earned bills, but perhaps worthy of your helicopter parent's.
Megan Pertiet
Very much a tip book with a comedic commentary. Very easy to read and geared towards students. The storys from actual students along with a tip and an explaination make it really relatable. Also this book has a ton of resources for each chapter. Very helpful for a beginning college freshman.
Skye Williams
Defiantly a good book to read if you are about to go to collage. Covers a wide variety of problems student MIGHT face. I had to read this for work training, and while I did find it enjoyable, some of the tips were a bit on the extreme side and may only apply to a very select few.
Kylie
This should be required reading for every kid who is even thinking about college. Filled with tons of practical advice, about every possible situation, it's a great book. It's definitely worth every penny and can be looked back on for reference time and time again.
Hannah
i know it was meant to calm, but really this book just convinced me that i'm going to get a roommate who steals my things and pukes in my clothes and plays metal all night long.... at least it showed me how to deal with it?
penelopewanders
Preparing a "what to expect" meeting with the seniors...
I've read bits and pieces of this, but will not read it cover to cover. For now I'm putting it on the college advising shelf. We'll see if I com back to it.
Gena Stack
Great resource for all college students - fun to read and incredibly useful information. Go get it for all the college students you know who are just getting started (or those who will be going next year).
Kelly
Good, a book that I wished I would have read in college. But even if someone had given it to me - I don't know that I would have.

Dry in some parts..but I slogged through it.
Linda
Comprehensive - covers just about every issue a college student might face. Although, how to recognize a con game on the El is a conspicuously missing chapter.
Jean Johnson
I read this for work and wished I had read this prior to going to school myself. I've heard the parents book is great and will be reading that one too.
Kelsey
A funny spin on learning what you need to know about college. For me, this is a good bathroom read/sit around with friends and peruse this book.
Kristen
Good advice, with a few intriguing stories, but it gets a bit preachy for me at times. Still an excellent reference for first time college students.
Kelsey
Extremely helpful to new college students, especially those who are new to the entire process. Can't stress how much of a useful tool this is.
Polly Callahan
lots of very helpful tips.
could be read the summer before college and then used as a handy reference during college.
Mark
Fun and very necessary, I had four different roommates years, not counting a summer with lovely girls in a sub-lease
Kailee
This book was pretty funny, as well as extremely helpful. I highly recommend it for anybody going to college.
  • 1001 Things Every College Student Needs to Know: Like Buying Your Books Before Exams Start
  • The Freshman Survival Guide: Soulful Advice for Studying, Socializing, and Everything in Between
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Life
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways
  • Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything
  • How to Win at College: Surprising Secrets for Success from the Country's Top Students
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Uncle John's Unsinkable Bathroom Reader
  • Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories About College
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • Where's My Jetpack?: A Guide to the Amazing Science Fiction Future That Never Arrived
  • Dance First, Think Later: 618 Rules to Live by
  • Abuse Your Illusions: The Disinformation Guide to Media Mirages and Establishment Lies
  • Acceptance: A Legendary Guidance Counselor Helps Seven Kids Find the Right Colleges---And Find Themselves
  • The Heart of Higher Education: A Call to Renewal
  • The Official Filthy Rich Handbook
  • In the Hot Zone: One Man, One Year, Twenty Wars
Dad's Pregnant Too Getting Naked: Five Steps to Finding the Love of Your Life (While Fully Clothed & Totally Sober) The Naked Roommate: For Parents Only: A Parent's Guide to the New College Experience: Calling, Not Calling, Packing, Preparing, Problems, Roommates, ... Matters when Your Child Goes to College Happiest Kid on Campus Training in Your Naked Dating Thong: Get Ready to Find the Love of Your Life (While Fully Clothed)

“Take a break from dating. This can be for as long as you need. But give yourself time to heal. I like to use the Wite-Out example. Unless you allow the Wite-Out to dry on the paper, writing over it will just cause a smudge and uncover what is still underneath. Wait until you heal before getting back out there.” 6 likes
“Shortcuts to love tend to be the fast route to long-term troubles.” 4 likes