Start by marking “The Fat Flush Plan” as Want to Read:
The Fat Flush Plan

The Fat Flush Plan

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Kiss cellulite goodbye! "The Fat Flush(R) Plan" melts fat from hips, waist, and thighs in just two weeks and re-shapes your body while detoxifying your system. "The Fat Flush Plan" is a groundbreaking low carb/detox diet and fitness program. Fat Flush is known as the only diet program that gets rid of bloat, supports the liver, cleans up the lymph, and helps to eliminate t ...more
Published December 27th 2001 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Fat Flush Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fat Flush Plan

Elisa Bieg
I have a very long list of diets I've been on, and none of them every worked, really. It was nothing I could stick to, I just didn't do well physically on them, and I never really lost much weight, anyway. Particularly, the most dangerous, longest-lasting fad of all, the low-fat, high-carb diet left me with an unstanble blood sugar, lack of energy, lots of cravings, and hormonal problems. On the other hand, when I tried Atkins I was so nauseated and physically uncomfortable after 2 weeks that I ...more
Jo Schaffer
I love the science behind this- and how healthy weight is the by product of healthy living and cleaning out your vital organs! Like everything else in society we go amiss by focusing on the external instead of the internal- this will change the way you view weight loss and health.
Robert Beveridge
Ann Louise Gittleman, The Fat Flush Plan (McGraw-Hill, 2002)

We were doing so well there for a while. Yeah, the book gets a little heavy on the new-age diction (things "resonate to" ideas way too many times in this book), and the constant talking about the necessity for eating organic food (with a helpful recipe in the back for soaking your foods in bleach-water if you can't buy organic) was a bit unnerving, but everything else seemed to be on pretty solid ground. But then came the word that has
Ameena
About a month and a half ago I was at the end of my rope. I have been battling some kind of allergy or allergies for a while now that have just baffled me. There have been many times that I've eliminated something from my diet and I thought, awesome, I feel better! I've figured it out! And then a couple of days later the problem would come back and I'd find myself back at square one.

In addition to my stomach aches other symptoms indicated that there was something wrong. I developed some kind of
Joni
The only system that has ever worked for me. Went from a size 12-14 to size 6-8 in 3 months, and have kept it off for the 6 months since.
I did it, not as a diet, but as a science project - I can do anything for 2 weeks. Lost 5 pounds during that time, and after that sugar and coffee no longer are addictions for me. And roasted dandelion root tea tastes like roasted coffee, but not bitter, so I don't need coffee or all the creamer calories that I used to need.
Kristen
This one is ok. I like the focus/emphasis on detoxing the liver, but the book as a whole felt inaccessible. There were a lot of big scary science words and few definitions or layman explanations.

It also felt a little outdated, so I'm looking forward to also reading the newer Fat Flush for Life. One example is the emphasis of flaxseed oil and omega-6 fats over fish oil and omega-3's in general. Based on other reading I've done, most people get more than enough omega-6 fats, and it's easier to di
Melissa
Jul 14, 2014 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Melissa by: my mom
This book is more than just a typical "dieting" book. I think it designed more for changing how we relate to food and how we can eat for better health. There are a few things that seem overly restrictive to me. Part of enjoying life is enjoying the "naughty" foods every now and then which this author seems to view as almost sinful. Whatever. I think my body can better tolerate those kinds of foods once in a while if I take care of it most of the time.

I am currently on Phase 1. It's difficult and
MissAnnThrope
Jun 25, 2010 MissAnnThrope rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to MissAnnThrope by: Adele
What attracted me to this book is Gittleman's focus on balancing the liver, hormones, and lymph system through nutritional healing. Dropping some fat is a nice added bonus.

Similar to The South Beach Diet, this plan is set up in three phases. And like The Zone and South Beach Diet, you eliminate most bad carbohydrates. Once you progress to Phase 2, you introduce a couple of "friendly" carbs back into your diet. For the final "lifestyle" phase, you further introduce more "friendly" carbs.

The Fat F
Surfergirl
I view the Fat Flush Plan as an excellent diet book, but valuable for everyone - not just those who want to lose weight. When I originally read the book, I adopted a lot of Ann Louise Gittleman's ideas and incorporated them into my lifestyle. I didn't follow every detail of the plan, and I didn't take every supplement recommended, but even by just following the basics of the program, I saw incredible results.

It did wonderful things for my complexion, and I found that by following the plan, I di
Rachel Sides
This is not my typical book to read and certainly not one I would typically review. But I'm like so many Americans who need to improve my overall health. I need to lose a little weight (let's just say it is more that 5 lbs. and less than 100 lbs.) and I'm looking for the magic button to do it. I've watched several health documentaries on Netflix and downloaded every free Kindle cookbook I can find. To summarize my research I've decided to review this book though frankly I could have confused som ...more
Lia
Jan 11, 2010 Lia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: health, food
For writing and organization, this book gets three stars. For changing my relationship with food, it gets five.

NOTE: I tried the two-week liver cleanse to try to rid myself of horrible cluster headaches. IT WORKED. For anyone who is trying to use diet to work with on-going pain, the two-week liver cleanse in this book works miracles. I did a vegetarian version of her cleanse, where I used whey protein isolate, omega-3 eggs, and Quorn which is made from egg and mushroom/fungus to create a soy-fre
Kimz Zahour
Gittleman's one-two punch attack on body fat was developed partly as a result from her experience working at the Pritikin Longevity Center. She saw first hand the results of putting people on a low fat diet... and those results were NOT good!
This isn't a "looks good on paper theory" put into play but instead stems from years of practical application and study.
You'll discover five (sort of hidden) factors that cause weight gain and make it difficult to lose weight.
*Your toxic liver
*Your bloating
Julia
This is a diffcult diet, because it requires careful meal planning, expensive ingredients, and food preparation. Her diet plan is based on anectodal observations....what she has personally experienced in her own life and practice. There's not enough research to back up some of the claims made in this book, which is why I tend to be a skeptic reader. For example, there is no substantial research that shows that evening primrose oil helps to burn brown adipose tissue (belly fat) and balance hormon ...more
Suzanne
I don't buy into everything Gittleman has to say, especially her take on meat. I don't believe that eating as much meat as she recommends is necessary to a healthy body and lifestyle. However, it is part of the balancing act of her plan. I did find tips like the cranberry-water, the lemon-water, and flax oil useful, and will start incorporating these into my current regimen. I'm already a big believer in whole foods, avoiding sugar and processed foods, etc.

Overall, an interesting read from whic
Sharon
Day 3 and not feeling so hot. I think it's a lack of caffeine (but also a lack of food). I have lost 5 lbs. though.
Patti
Sep 02, 2012 Patti added it
This is a great book which focuses on proper nutrition and deals with keeping your liver healthy. It was an easy read, with tons of great information. I am going to try this plan. Not a fan of taking supplements, but will try the lemon water, cranberry with water, and more veggies! It sounds like it can get expensive, but the concept of a 2 week flush/Phase 1 sounds attainable.
Changed my rating because it does work! If you take the time to prepare and get all of your food ready it is fairly simple to follow and you see quick results. I'm on day 9 of the detox and I have so much energy and feel better overall. Give it a try!
Christine
This was a great book. It's the first diet plan that has really helped me. It taught me the right way to cook and plan meals. I'm not a great cook but the recipes in this book were easy and very good. I definitely stopped craving carbs and didn't even need to really add them back when I started Phase 2.
Sherry
The one diet plan that really works. I didn't drink as much as I was suppose to but the weight came off quickly and in all the right places. I kept the weight off for over a year even though I didn't stick to the diet. Still weigh less than when I started but could use another jump start now.
Shanin
Great information about dieting and nutritien. My husband and I followed the plan and actually lost quite a bit of weight - the healthy way. We recommend this book to everyone who has the willpower and desire. We plan to follow the plan again after second baby is born and weened.
Suzy Atkin
A great diet/lifestyle change book. Solid research and well written information. Although I haven't followed this 'diet' strictly I have taken pieces from it and have definitely improved my health and weight. It's worth a look and I would recommend the cranwater instructions!
Tara
I learned that it is possible to budge my weight that has been stuck for about 3 years. This book had wonderful information about cleansing the liver and why. It teaches why we need those omega oils and why you must drink water. This is for all my friends - read this book!
Robyn Carey-holland
Interesting take on when Fat is not Fat. Water retention from inflammation is a big deal. am taking some of the items she discussed to heart.
Already started upping the protein, having organic eggs, cranberry water. and added a evening primrose oil supplement to my day.

Tina
Feb 03, 2010 Tina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: for-me
This book has some good principles. However, it's a bit more extreme in the eating approach than I prefer. I'm sure it works for some people, but I prefer an eating/exercise approach that has more of an emphasis on expending calories, not just deleting calories.
Melissa
Mar 08, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read
This is hard reading for me. I want to feel enthusiastic about reading it, it has great stuff, very beneficial information... I like a book I can enjoy though, but I am not giving up, I WILL read it and reap some kind of rewards! (I hope)
Alyn
Sep 25, 2007 Alyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those trying to lose weight
Shelves: non-fiction
similar to liver detoxification. you will lose weight for sure, but i find the fit-for-life program more effective in the long term. like the waterfall diet, it makes one lose 'water' weight fast, but it is not for the long haul.
Rosanna
I can honestly say I have never felt better in my entire life than the week and a half I followed this plan. Yet, who can live that way forever, without falling into the temptations of sugar? Not me.
Rebekah
This is a food plan that i have read that does a very good job of explaining how our bodies work and lays out an eating plan to clean your body and get your engine running smooth:)
Mrs.
When you bake as much as I do, you tend to read a few diet books. Basically, the author advocates healthy eating and drinking watered-down cranberry juice to clean out the system.
Gail
Great book; great diet and lifelong eating plan. Author gets quite detailed in beginning of book with technical nutritional information that is a little tedious to get through.
  • Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug
  • Life Without Bread Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Dangerous Grains
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • The Crazy Makers
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Our Stolen Future: Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence and Survival? A Scientific Detective Story
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Sugar Blues
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
Dr. Ann Louise was recognized as one of the top ten nutritionists in the country by Self magazine and was the recipient of the American Medical Writers Association award for excellence.

She was the first to warn of the environmental hazards of parasites in her classic Guess What Came To Dinner? Parasites and Your Health. In Your Body Knows Best, Dr. Ann Louise was the first to discuss the blood typ
More about Ann Louise Gittleman...
Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution The Fast Track Detox Diet Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause Fat Flush for Life: The Year-Round Super Detox Plan to Boost Your Metabolism and Keep the Weight Off Permanently