Start by marking “The Fat Flush Plan” as Want to Read:
The Fat Flush Plan

The Fat Flush Plan

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  432 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Kiss cellulite goodbye! "The Fat Flush(R) Plan" melts fat from hips, waist, and thighs in just two weeks and re-shapes your body while detoxifying your system. "The Fat Flush Plan" is a groundbreaking low carb/detox diet and fitness program. Fat Flush is known as the only diet program that gets rid of bloat, supports the liver, cleans up the lymph, and helps to eliminate t ...more
Published December 27th 2001 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Fat Flush Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fat Flush Plan

Elisa Bieg
Jan 22, 2008 Elisa Bieg rated it really liked it
I have a very long list of diets I've been on, and none of them every worked, really. It was nothing I could stick to, I just didn't do well physically on them, and I never really lost much weight, anyway. Particularly, the most dangerous, longest-lasting fad of all, the low-fat, high-carb diet left me with an unstanble blood sugar, lack of energy, lots of cravings, and hormonal problems. On the other hand, when I tried Atkins I was so nauseated and physically uncomfortable after 2 weeks that I ...more
Jo Schaffer
Jan 18, 2008 Jo Schaffer rated it it was amazing
I love the science behind this- and how healthy weight is the by product of healthy living and cleaning out your vital organs! Like everything else in society we go amiss by focusing on the external instead of the internal- this will change the way you view weight loss and health.
Robert Beveridge
Jan 21, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Ann Louise Gittleman, The Fat Flush Plan (McGraw-Hill, 2002)

We were doing so well there for a while. Yeah, the book gets a little heavy on the new-age diction (things "resonate to" ideas way too many times in this book), and the constant talking about the necessity for eating organic food (with a helpful recipe in the back for soaking your foods in bleach-water if you can't buy organic) was a bit unnerving, but everything else seemed to be on pretty solid ground. But then came the word that has
Ameena
Jan 28, 2010 Ameena rated it it was amazing
About a month and a half ago I was at the end of my rope. I have been battling some kind of allergy or allergies for a while now that have just baffled me. There have been many times that I've eliminated something from my diet and I thought, awesome, I feel better! I've figured it out! And then a couple of days later the problem would come back and I'd find myself back at square one.

In addition to my stomach aches other symptoms indicated that there was something wrong. I developed some kind of
Dey Martin
Jul 28, 2015 Dey Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ann Louise Gittleman was, as far as I can tell, the first to warn of the effects of pesticides on liver function. So everything that has followed i.e., the organic movement is largely due to her intuitive, erudite and astute warnings about liver health - liver as fat burning organ as professed in this book. Yep, as A.L.G. states, your liver is your body's filter and if it is clogged-up it needs to be flushed. Keeping your liver clean and in tip-top shape is the key to a healthy body. This book s ...more
Joni
Oct 09, 2011 Joni rated it it was amazing
The only system that has ever worked for me. Went from a size 12-14 to size 6-8 in 3 months, and have kept it off for the 6 months since.
I did it, not as a diet, but as a science project - I can do anything for 2 weeks. Lost 5 pounds during that time, and after that sugar and coffee no longer are addictions for me. And roasted dandelion root tea tastes like roasted coffee, but not bitter, so I don't need coffee or all the creamer calories that I used to need.
Kristen
Feb 01, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
This one is ok. I like the focus/emphasis on detoxing the liver, but the book as a whole felt inaccessible. There were a lot of big scary science words and few definitions or layman explanations.

It also felt a little outdated, so I'm looking forward to also reading the newer Fat Flush for Life. One example is the emphasis of flaxseed oil and omega-6 fats over fish oil and omega-3's in general. Based on other reading I've done, most people get more than enough omega-6 fats, and it's easier to di
Melissa
Jul 14, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: my mom
This book is more than just a typical "dieting" book. I think it designed more for changing how we relate to food and how we can eat for better health. There are a few things that seem overly restrictive to me. Part of enjoying life is enjoying the "naughty" foods every now and then which this author seems to view as almost sinful. Whatever. I think my body can better tolerate those kinds of foods once in a while if I take care of it most of the time.

I am currently on Phase 1. It's difficult and
MissAnnThrope
Jun 25, 2010 MissAnnThrope rated it liked it
Recommended to MissAnnThrope by: Adele
What attracted me to this book is Gittleman's focus on balancing the liver, hormones, and lymph system through nutritional healing. Dropping some fat is a nice added bonus.

Similar to The South Beach Diet, this plan is set up in three phases. And like The Zone and South Beach Diet, you eliminate most bad carbohydrates. Once you progress to Phase 2, you introduce a couple of "friendly" carbs back into your diet. For the final "lifestyle" phase, you further introduce more "friendly" carbs.

The Fat F
Surfergirl
Sep 08, 2008 Surfergirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: being-better, health
I view the Fat Flush Plan as an excellent diet book, but valuable for everyone - not just those who want to lose weight. When I originally read the book, I adopted a lot of Ann Louise Gittleman's ideas and incorporated them into my lifestyle. I didn't follow every detail of the plan, and I didn't take every supplement recommended, but even by just following the basics of the program, I saw incredible results.

It did wonderful things for my complexion, and I found that by following the plan, I di
Rachel Sides
Jun 20, 2012 Rachel Sides rated it liked it
This is not my typical book to read and certainly not one I would typically review. But I'm like so many Americans who need to improve my overall health. I need to lose a little weight (let's just say it is more that 5 lbs. and less than 100 lbs.) and I'm looking for the magic button to do it. I've watched several health documentaries on Netflix and downloaded every free Kindle cookbook I can find. To summarize my research I've decided to review this book though frankly I could have confused som ...more
Lia
Jan 11, 2010 Lia rated it liked it
Shelves: health, food
For writing and organization, this book gets three stars. For changing my relationship with food, it gets five.

NOTE: I tried the two-week liver cleanse to try to rid myself of horrible cluster headaches. IT WORKED. For anyone who is trying to use diet to work with on-going pain, the two-week liver cleanse in this book works miracles. I did a vegetarian version of her cleanse, where I used whey protein isolate, omega-3 eggs, and Quorn which is made from egg and mushroom/fungus to create a soy-fre
Kimz Zahour
Mar 13, 2011 Kimz Zahour rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Gittleman's one-two punch attack on body fat was developed partly as a result from her experience working at the Pritikin Longevity Center. She saw first hand the results of putting people on a low fat diet... and those results were NOT good!
This isn't a "looks good on paper theory" put into play but instead stems from years of practical application and study.
You'll discover five (sort of hidden) factors that cause weight gain and make it difficult to lose weight.
*Your toxic liver
*Your bloating
Adrienna
Dad found this book and brought it home. I will listen to audiobook while in the car driving or at home from work. I want to know what is the diet but on the cover states it will melt fat from hips, waist and thighs in 2 weeks, and reshapes your body while detoxifying your system which all sounds good to me!

Not sure if I will actually do this one. Wrote some notes and did rewinds to write it down since I do not have the book. Not available at local library either.

Adrienna Turner
adrienn
Carlotta
Nov 14, 2015 Carlotta rated it it was amazing
I found this book clearly written and encouraging. The author's fat flush protocol is meat centered for protein, so as a long-term vegetarian (40 yrs) I took it as a personal challenge to adapt her protein suggestions to fit our plant-based protein lifestyle. My husband and I both feel it's working.
Julia
Dec 28, 2010 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: diet-food
This is a diffcult diet, because it requires careful meal planning, expensive ingredients, and food preparation. Her diet plan is based on anectodal observations....what she has personally experienced in her own life and practice. There's not enough research to back up some of the claims made in this book, which is why I tend to be a skeptic reader. For example, there is no substantial research that shows that evening primrose oil helps to burn brown adipose tissue (belly fat) and balance hormon ...more
Suzanne
May 20, 2011 Suzanne rated it liked it
I don't buy into everything Gittleman has to say, especially her take on meat. I don't believe that eating as much meat as she recommends is necessary to a healthy body and lifestyle. However, it is part of the balancing act of her plan. I did find tips like the cranberry-water, the lemon-water, and flax oil useful, and will start incorporating these into my current regimen. I'm already a big believer in whole foods, avoiding sugar and processed foods, etc.

Overall, an interesting read from whic
Matthew
Jul 16, 2015 Matthew rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas, and healthy tips...but ultimately the plan is another fad diet.
Sharon
Feb 05, 2014 Sharon rated it liked it
Day 3 and not feeling so hot. I think it's a lack of caffeine (but also a lack of food). I have lost 5 lbs. though.
Patti
Sep 02, 2012 Patti added it
This is a great book which focuses on proper nutrition and deals with keeping your liver healthy. It was an easy read, with tons of great information. I am going to try this plan. Not a fan of taking supplements, but will try the lemon water, cranberry with water, and more veggies! It sounds like it can get expensive, but the concept of a 2 week flush/Phase 1 sounds attainable.
Julie
Jan 24, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok
I appreciate the concept, and boy would I love if it works, but I found the program so difficult to follow that I stopped reading about halfway. I started the diet, but there are too many steps each day that are challenging to stay on top of when I'm home all day, to say nothing of trying to follow the program when I'm away from home (say, at work).
Jan 19, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Changed my rating because it does work! If you take the time to prepare and get all of your food ready it is fairly simple to follow and you see quick results. I'm on day 9 of the detox and I have so much energy and feel better overall. Give it a try!
Christine
Mar 09, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
This was a great book. It's the first diet plan that has really helped me. It taught me the right way to cook and plan meals. I'm not a great cook but the recipes in this book were easy and very good. I definitely stopped craving carbs and didn't even need to really add them back when I started Phase 2.
Sherry
Mar 08, 2011 Sherry rated it it was amazing
The one diet plan that really works. I didn't drink as much as I was suppose to but the weight came off quickly and in all the right places. I kept the weight off for over a year even though I didn't stick to the diet. Still weigh less than when I started but could use another jump start now.
Shanin
Feb 18, 2008 Shanin rated it it was amazing
Great information about dieting and nutritien. My husband and I followed the plan and actually lost quite a bit of weight - the healthy way. We recommend this book to everyone who has the willpower and desire. We plan to follow the plan again after second baby is born and weened.
Suzy Atkin
Nov 20, 2012 Suzy Atkin rated it really liked it
A great diet/lifestyle change book. Solid research and well written information. Although I haven't followed this 'diet' strictly I have taken pieces from it and have definitely improved my health and weight. It's worth a look and I would recommend the cranwater instructions!
Tara
Mar 11, 2008 Tara rated it really liked it
I learned that it is possible to budge my weight that has been stuck for about 3 years. This book had wonderful information about cleansing the liver and why. It teaches why we need those omega oils and why you must drink water. This is for all my friends - read this book!
Robyn Carey-holland
Interesting take on when Fat is not Fat. Water retention from inflammation is a big deal. am taking some of the items she discussed to heart.
Already started upping the protein, having organic eggs, cranberry water. and added a evening primrose oil supplement to my day.

Tina
Feb 03, 2010 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: for-me
This book has some good principles. However, it's a bit more extreme in the eating approach than I prefer. I'm sure it works for some people, but I prefer an eating/exercise approach that has more of an emphasis on expending calories, not just deleting calories.
Melissa
Mar 08, 2010 Melissa marked it as to-read
This is hard reading for me. I want to feel enthusiastic about reading it, it has great stuff, very beneficial information... I like a book I can enjoy though, but I am not giving up, I WILL read it and reap some kind of rewards! (I hope)
  • Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Crazy Makers
  • Dangerous Grains
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To:  Free Yourself from Food Cravings:  Achieve Your Ideal Weight;  Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health;  Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You
  • The Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently
  • Our Stolen Future: Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence and Survival? A Scientific Detective Story
  • Get with the Program!: Getting Real About Your Weight, Health, and Emotional Well-Being
  • Pharmageddon
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
Dr. Ann Louise was recognized as one of the top ten nutritionists in the country by Self magazine and was the recipient of the American Medical Writers Association award for excellence.

She was the first to warn of the environmental hazards of parasites in her classic Guess What Came To Dinner? Parasites and Your Health. In Your Body Knows Best, Dr. Ann Louise was the first to discuss the blood typ
More about Ann Louise Gittleman...