Talker (Talker, #1)

Talker (Talker #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,609 ratings  ·  208 reviews
Tate "Talker" Walker has spent most of his life hiding his scars under a bright punk facade, and until he sat next to Brian Cooper on a bus, it worked. But Brian has spent his whole life being the invisible man, and he's used to looking below the surface. What he sees in Talker is a fragile and lovable human being.Brian is outwardly straight, but Talker is desperate for lo...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Talker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talker

Ami

Brian Cooper first met Tate Walker on a bus, when the latter came to sit right next to him. Tate was an extraordinary sight, half his face was taken up with a glorious tribal tattoo, his right ear, nose, eyebrow, and lip pierced, and his dark hair cut into a Mohawk. However, after they became friends and moved in together, Brian learned that there was more to Tate than just a kid with strange look and non-stop talk. Brian couldn't help to want to protect Tate from all harm, to save him...more
DarienMoya
^^ALL TALK AND NO LISTENING!^^

I really enjoyed this short, but lovely story. It offers up great conflict and a character that is sure to break your heart. I was just blown away by the many messages offered in this story. It can be interpreted many ways by each individual reader, for it brought back memories of being close to someone who never saw through, she is my friend and that’s all there is. I wish; I had the guts Brian had to make Tate (Talker) finally see him.

Tate aka Talker is covered i...more
Bookwatcher
Short story, intense feelings! I LOVED IT!

Brian a shy and lonely young guy, in the bus ride to school will meet Tate, aka Talker.

Lovely story! Strong and contradictory feelings not only made me give 5 stars, but I just bought the second and I'll start it right now!
Talker's Redemption (Talker, #2) by Amy Lane

5 stars... and if you have this book in your to read shelf don't wait any more... I did it... left there... and now I really regret it! I should read it a long time ago! Loved it loved it love it....
julio
She's just so damned good at this. Too much beauty. Too much love. Too much wit, and heart, and kindness.

Been crying for 3 days, already.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I have had this series on my iPad forever, and I seem to be really behind the curve in reading it, so I am going to rectify that and start now. :)

4.25*

Ok, first I am very happy I waited to start this book until all three stories were out, if I had read this and not known there was more of their story for me to get to right away..I would have been grumpy-Mandy.
Brian is a sweetheart and I hate that he keeps thinking he is slow and stupid, he isn't, he might not have 'gotten' a vital part of himsel...more
Kassa
Coming late after many have read this one so there’s little I can add that hasn’t already been said. It’s typically well written like Lane is fast becoming known for and the subject matter is honest, affecting, and moving. The characters have so much texture and depth that they are really quite fascinating even though not much happens over the course of the story. It’s a character driven piece about accepting love and growing from pain. If there’s any fault it’s that I wish the story had been fl...more
Debra
This review is for the 3 books in the Talker series as they are all make up the story. If I was to rate them individually I would give the first two 4 stars and the third one 3.

The story of Brian and Tate/Talker is an emotional roller coaster. Tate's horror show of a childhood has left him scarred, but optimistic and looking for love. When Brian meets Tate in college on a bus to their track meet, he instantly finds a friend and is able to look beyond the veneer Tate has created to keep people f...more
LisaT - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog LisaT131
~~~

I was fortunate enough to get to buddy read this with fellow book blogger Giulia from www.devastatingreads.blogspot.com and also several other GR friends joined in and shared the experience with us. I think we chose the perfect book to buddy read. The characters were visual, the writing sharp and the story was charming.

THE CHARACTERS

Brian Cooper - Introverted, withdrawn and closeted, even to himself.

In fact, the only thing in his life that was complicated was Tate Walker, and he liked that
Lola
Woah, this book was so beautiful...
It's my third Amy Lane book and god, how different from one another her books truly are! It's like you can never know what she's preparing next! Mystery boxes...
It also is my favorite so far. ♥
This couple...they're so sweet and good together. I hope they'll have the most perfect happy ever after, as they deserve. And, Amy Lane, I'm ready to face their obstacles, but thank you for the warning in the book, it helped!
*Read it in one sitting because, really, I cou...more
Ingela
4 Stars - a sweet and moving shortie about two young college boys and the first love

A joint review will be written when I read all parts of the compilation edition, The Talker Collection, consisting of three books (novels). My review.

photo pLease_LovE_mE_zps4edd5e69.gif

I Like - Brian's cute love for Tate (Talker)
Mary
Bought this the second it came out and read it and then read it again because with Amy Lane you read the first time for the story and the second for the language. The way she puts words together, phrases things, is just gorgeous. This is a beautiful story that made me cry in places and laugh in others. My hope is for a sequel.
Harper
Loved it. Like everything else I've read by Amy Lane, it made me cry. And it wasn't just a tear or two, but out and out sobbing as I rocked in place and tried to keep reading. Oh, man. One day maybe I'll make it through an Amy Lane book without crying at least once.
Mandi Schreiner
Thanks so much to an email I received from a blogging buddy recommendig this book. It is a novella, which I read in one sitting - but still throws such an emotional punch.

Talker goes back and forth from past and present - giving us the story of Tate, the very talkative,flamboyant, tattooed, gay college student and Brian, the more reserved, thought he was straight but turns out he is gay roommate. When they become friends, Brian is dating women - but as he gets to know Tate and eventually moves i...more
Wade
Oh Amy Lane! I can see why so many people enjoy her writing. She had me at "The Locker Room" (my first Amy Lane read) and consequently I knew I needed to read more by her. The Talker series was recommended to me, (I think by Tom originally, but I don't remember) and I had the pfd in my "unread" file for a while now. (I also have the next two & Keeping Promise Rock) Finding time to read when you write is often difficult but there are days when I need a break from ME. Ya know? My characters ya...more
Lightreads
M/M romance. Our "hero" "tries" to tell his best friend that he wants him, but he never actually, uh, uses his words. So he figures hey, the problem here is that the bestie is just refusing to notice him, and the bestie was recently raped and is really "fragile," okay, so the thing to do – he has a plan, you guys – the thing to do is to manipulate events so he and the bestie are in a sexual situation but the bestie doesn't know who he is until after there are orgasms.

This being a romance, this i...more
Td
Dec 18, 2010 Td rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: angst
Liked the story, but the flashbacks kept pulling out.
Grammy 1
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I don't know, Amy Lane writes miracles. Truth in the Dark was so emotional, the characters were flawed and the writing was fabulous and it perfectly suited the fairy-tale mood of the book. Keeping Promise Rock was angsty and the characters were awesome and the writing was great and it carried on a long story of friendship and love. This book is short and it stripped me as raw and naked as its characters.

Brian is a wonderful person, a great and considerate friend and his inability of conveying hi...more
Hester
I love characters like Talker so much and reading about him was reason I started this book.
I think my issues with the book stem from the narration style, it glazes over things that should be important. The growing friendship of Talker and Brian, 'two years later we were friends' BAM, that's what I want to read Amy Lane! I want to see their friendship growing and becoming real, I felt short changed that I didn't see that.
Talker broke my heart. He was lovely.
Brian got on my nerves because he was...more
Stacey Jo
This was a very sweet and heart breaking story. It was a short one though. Both Talker and Brian are very loveable. There was a lot of miscommunication in the beginning in that when Brian would actually say what he wanted, Talker would hear it, but not take it for it's true meaning. So that really brought about a lot of angst in the book, which I love. I really loved seeing their relationship develop, all the things that they did for each other that they didn't realize. Looking forward to the ne...more
Jade Archer
OMG!!!! This book just blew me away completely! There is just no way I can hope to write a review anywhere near good enough to encompass all that I love about this story. Put quite simply, I know I will read this one again and again. The writing was stunning, the characters amazing and the plot...so heartbreakingly beautiful. My only regret is that I'm limited to giving it five stars. Thank you so much Amy Lane for this wonderful book. HIGHLY recommended!
S.J.D. Peterson
Amazing story about two broken men trying to overcome pain and self doubt. The characters were engaging and easy to fall in love with. The story line was unique and kept my attention through to the end. I wish this story was longer. I want to know so much more about Talker and Brian. I can only hope that the (book #1) after the title means I will get my wish. Amy Lane is an amazing writer and story teller and I highly recommend this book.
Deeze

I really like Amy Lane's characters. They tend to grab me pretty quick, and this was no exception. Tate is such a sweet guy, completely opposite from the punk look he displays. Brian is the loyal kind of guy you always want in your corner.

Heather C
Sweet story!! I read it all in one sitting and I have to start the next one NOW...so no time for an in depth plot review. Read the blurb.

Oh, and I did tear up a tiny bit at the end!
Monica
Rating 5 Stars

I loved the unique way the story was told and was hooked on page 1. For such a short story I felt both characters were fully developed lovable, believable characters.

Talker is an amazing man with a loving spirit and a zest for life. He had a horrendous accident when he was six years old that he didn't let stop him from seeking love and happiness.

Brian was a strong and gentle guy with self-esteem issues. Brian had me yelling at him from time to time to step up to the plate and claim...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
"Achingly beautiful" are the words that come to mind to describe this story. I'm quickly learning that Amy Lane specializes in giving us very complex, flawed characters in her stories and then brings them to life in such a way that you can't help but fall in love with them! This is definitely the case with Tate/Talker and Brian. They both suffered hurt and loss as young children that made a profound impact on the young men we see in this story. They were really perfect for each other - one needi...more
Eden Winters
I've got great friends that know me well, so when they said, "You gotta read Talker," I pretty much dropped everything and did just that. This story worked for me on so many levels. The two main characters have been through more than anyone their age should have to. They're working their way through school(with a bit of help from Tate's scholarship), living hand to mouth, and doing without what they can't afford. They're real, multi-dimensional, and I fell in love with them both. The writing is...more
UKSandy
Well Amy Lane you certainly didn't disappoint with Tate & Brian. Once again, you have delivered on everything, I loved the characters, the background of Brian & Tate and when I'm reading your books I always feel like I'm there within the story and that is why I will keep on reading your books.

The story is very short so I don't want to give away too much detail, all I will say is that this story is about Brian & Tate who both have suffered in the past. Tate just needs someone to love...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
I really liked this story. Talker is so sweet, yet sad and and vulnerable. His circumstances broke my heart. He wanted to be loved so badly and had so much to give, only to be used and abused time and again. Thankfully, Brian was there to fill the void. It was frustrating that it took so long for Brian to get it together and get through to Talker, but I was glad he stuck with it. They make a great couple, and I look forward to reading the next book and seeing these guys again.
Seregil

A lovely and touching book. Two friends who are a bit anti-social, one of them because he's very silent and introverted (though he seems the jock type, he was actually home schooled by a hippie aunt after his parents died) and the other because he is very scarred, phisically and emotionally and tries to hide it under tattoos and a talkative nature (but really has no friends).
Buddy Read This Weekend! Jump In??? 88 32 Feb 15, 2013 12:55PM
  • Take My Picture
  • American Love Songs
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Stronger In Your Hands (The Making of a Man #3)
  • Finding Zach
  • Between Sinners and Saints
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
  • Regularly Scheduled Life (Ohio Books, #1)
  • Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)
  • Life After Joe
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
  • Admit One
  • Squire (Indigo Knights, #1)
  • Trust Me
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u...more
More about Amy Lane...
Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1) The Locker Room Clear Water Chase in Shadow (Johnnies, #1) Truth in the Dark

“Turns out that sometimes, faith and a sense of humor really can be all you need.” 9 likes
“He'd always known that shit rolled downhill, but he never knew tears did the same thing.” 7 likes