Start by marking “Talker (Talker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Talker (Talker, #1)

Talker (Talker #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,970 ratings  ·  234 reviews
Tate "Talker" Walker has spent most of his life hiding his scars under a bright punk facade, and until he sat next to Brian Cooper on a bus, it worked. But Brian has spent his whole life being the invisible man, and he's used to looking below the surface. What he sees in Talker is a fragile and lovable human being.

Brian is outwardly straight, but Talker is desperate for lo
Published September 1st 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Talker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talker

Ami

Brian Cooper first met Tate Walker on a bus, when the latter came to sit right next to him. Tate was an extraordinary sight, half his face was taken up with a glorious tribal tattoo, his right ear, nose, eyebrow, and lip pierced, and his dark hair cut into a Mohawk. However, after they became friends and moved in together, Brian learned that there was more to Tate than just a kid with strange look and non-stop talk. Brian couldn't help to want to protect Tate from all harm, to save him
DarienMoya
^^ALL TALK AND NO LISTENING!^^

I really enjoyed this short, but lovely story. It offers up great conflict and a character that is sure to break your heart. I was just blown away by the many messages offered in this story. It can be interpreted many ways by each individual reader, for it brought back memories of being close to someone who never saw through, she is my friend and that’s all there is. I wish; I had the guts Brian had to make Tate (Talker) finally see him.

Tate aka Talker is covered i
julio
She's just so damned good at this. Too much beauty. Too much love. Too much wit, and heart, and kindness.

Been crying for 3 days, already.
Bookwatcher
Short story, intense feelings! I LOVED IT!

Brian a shy and lonely young guy, in the bus ride to school will meet Tate, aka Talker.

Lovely story! Strong and contradictory feelings not only made me give 5 stars, but I just bought the second and I'll start it right now!
Talker's Redemption (Talker, #2) by Amy Lane

5 stars... and if you have this book in your to read shelf don't wait any more... I did it... left there... and now I really regret it! I should read it a long time ago! Loved it loved it love it....
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I have had this series on my iPad forever, and I seem to be really behind the curve in reading it, so I am going to rectify that and start now. :)

4.25*

Ok, first I am very happy I waited to start this book until all three stories were out, if I had read this and not known there was more of their story for me to get to right away..I would have been grumpy-Mandy.
Brian is a sweetheart and I hate that he keeps thinking he is slow and stupid, he isn't, he might not have 'gotten' a vital part of himsel
Kassa
Coming late after many have read this one so there’s little I can add that hasn’t already been said. It’s typically well written like Lane is fast becoming known for and the subject matter is honest, affecting, and moving. The characters have so much texture and depth that they are really quite fascinating even though not much happens over the course of the story. It’s a character driven piece about accepting love and growing from pain. If there’s any fault it’s that I wish the story had been fl ...more
Debra
This review is for the 3 books in the Talker series as they are all make up the story. If I was to rate them individually I would give the first two 4 stars and the third one 3.

The story of Brian and Tate/Talker is an emotional roller coaster. Tate's horror show of a childhood has left him scarred, but optimistic and looking for love. When Brian meets Tate in college on a bus to their track meet, he instantly finds a friend and is able to look beyond the veneer Tate has created to keep people f
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
~~~

I was fortunate enough to get to buddy read this with fellow book blogger Giulia from www.devastatingreads.blogspot.com and also several other GR friends joined in and shared the experience with us. I think we chose the perfect book to buddy read. The characters were visual, the writing sharp and the story was charming.

THE CHARACTERS

Brian Cooper - Introverted, withdrawn and closeted, even to himself.

In fact, the only thing in his life that was complicated was Tate Walker, and he liked tha
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Talker is about a young man, Tate "Talker" Walker, who as a child, survived a fire that left him horribly scarred. He covered his scars in tattoo's and is out and proud gay. All his flamboyance, though, is a way for him to hide himself. He wants people to see the color and loud, but he doesn't really let people see him. He doesn't see himself as beautiful or original at all. He just sees the scars. I just wanted to hug him and tell him everything would be ok.

Brian Cooper, see's Talker,
Sara
Oh goodness. This was sweet and it just about tore my heart out.
Brian and Tate... sigh.
Such pain, such love, such devotion, so much unknown, so in need of healing heads and hearts and the story is not over so I am gonna shut my yapper and go read the next one.
Lightreads
M/M romance. Our "hero" "tries" to tell his best friend that he wants him, but he never actually, uh, uses his words. So he figures hey, the problem here is that the bestie is just refusing to notice him, and the bestie was recently raped and is really "fragile," okay, so the thing to do – he has a plan, you guys – the thing to do is to manipulate events so he and the bestie are in a sexual situation but the bestie doesn't know who he is until after there are orgasms.

This being a romance, this i
Lola
Woah, this book was so beautiful...
It's my third Amy Lane book and god, how different from one another her books truly are! It's like you can never know what she's preparing next! Mystery boxes...
It also is my favorite so far.
This couple...they're so sweet and good together. I hope they'll have the most perfect happy ever after, as they deserve. And, Amy Lane, I'm ready to face their obstacles, but thank you for the warning in the book, it helped!
*Read it in one sitting because, really, I coul
Meags
3.5 Stars

I reacted fairly strongly to this story, in a number of contradictory ways. I’m new to the whole Amy Lane experience (like, this week new) and I’m not quite sure I like her style of writing. I can’t put my finger on what bothers me about it, but until I work it out I’m intrigued enough to continue my Lane-focused reading quest.

This particular story was gripping and heart wrenching. It made me ache for the characters, but it also angered me several times (view spoiler)
Ingela
4 Stars - a sweet and moving shortie about two young college boys and the first love

A joint review will be written when I read all parts of the compilation edition, The Talker Collection, consisting of three books (novels). My review.

photo pLease_LovE_mE_zps4edd5e69.gif

I Like - Brian's cute love for Tate (Talker)
Mary
Bought this the second it came out and read it and then read it again because with Amy Lane you read the first time for the story and the second for the language. The way she puts words together, phrases things, is just gorgeous. This is a beautiful story that made me cry in places and laugh in others. My hope is for a sequel.
Pickles
Loved it. Like everything else I've read by Amy Lane, it made me cry. And it wasn't just a tear or two, but out and out sobbing as I rocked in place and tried to keep reading. Oh, man. One day maybe I'll make it through an Amy Lane book without crying at least once.
Mandi Schreiner
Thanks so much to an email I received from a blogging buddy recommendig this book. It is a novella, which I read in one sitting - but still throws such an emotional punch.

Talker goes back and forth from past and present - giving us the story of Tate, the very talkative,flamboyant, tattooed, gay college student and Brian, the more reserved, thought he was straight but turns out he is gay roommate. When they become friends, Brian is dating women - but as he gets to know Tate and eventually moves i
Wade
Oh Amy Lane! I can see why so many people enjoy her writing. She had me at "The Locker Room" (my first Amy Lane read) and consequently I knew I needed to read more by her. The Talker series was recommended to me, (I think by Tom originally, but I don't remember) and I had the pfd in my "unread" file for a while now. (I also have the next two & Keeping Promise Rock) Finding time to read when you write is often difficult but there are days when I need a break from ME. Ya know? My characters ya ...more
Paul
What a fantastic little novella, it was a really refreshing read, a compact little book, with great main character because they both had issues dealing with society. Who knew that one bus ride could lead to the places that Tate (Talker) and Brian would end up in. Talker was considered the new collage freak, having half his face and head tattoo'ed with unusual patterns, where Brian had been home schooled by his Aunty all through high school. The first day they met Talker was late getting on the b ...more
Heather C
Sweet story!! I read it all in one sitting and I have to start the next one NOW...so no time for an in depth plot review. Read the blurb.

Oh, and I did tear up a tiny bit at the end!
Td
Dec 18, 2010 Td rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: angst
Liked the story, but the flashbacks kept pulling out.
Grammy 1
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I don't know, Amy Lane writes miracles. Truth in the Dark was so emotional, the characters were flawed and the writing was fabulous and it perfectly suited the fairy-tale mood of the book. Keeping Promise Rock was angsty and the characters were awesome and the writing was great and it carried on a long story of friendship and love. This book is short and it stripped me as raw and naked as its characters.

Brian is a wonderful person, a great and considerate friend and his inability of conveying hi
Hester
I love characters like Talker so much and reading about him was reason I started this book.
I think my issues with the book stem from the narration style, it glazes over things that should be important. The growing friendship of Talker and Brian, 'two years later we were friends' BAM, that's what I want to read Amy Lane! I want to see their friendship growing and becoming real, I felt short changed that I didn't see that.
Talker broke my heart. He was lovely.
Brian got on my nerves because he was
Marc
So, i really LOVE amy lane's promise and johnnies series and i've often seen this book and wondered whether i should give it a try. However, i must admit that i thought the cover weird and thought the book wasn't a good fit for me. After finally reading it, though, i can say that the book is really, really good. The book isn't very long, and it shows just how good an author amy is that readers care so much about the two characters after such a short while. It is a wonderful story and I am lookin ...more
Stacey Jo
This was a very sweet and heart breaking story. It was a short one though. Both Talker and Brian are very loveable. There was a lot of miscommunication in the beginning in that when Brian would actually say what he wanted, Talker would hear it, but not take it for it's true meaning. So that really brought about a lot of angst in the book, which I love. I really loved seeing their relationship develop, all the things that they did for each other that they didn't realize. Looking forward to the ne ...more
Jade Archer
OMG!!!! This book just blew me away completely! There is just no way I can hope to write a review anywhere near good enough to encompass all that I love about this story. Put quite simply, I know I will read this one again and again. The writing was stunning, the characters amazing and the plot...so heartbreakingly beautiful. My only regret is that I'm limited to giving it five stars. Thank you so much Amy Lane for this wonderful book. HIGHLY recommended!
S.J.D. Peterson
Amazing story about two broken men trying to overcome pain and self doubt. The characters were engaging and easy to fall in love with. The story line was unique and kept my attention through to the end. I wish this story was longer. I want to know so much more about Talker and Brian. I can only hope that the (book #1) after the title means I will get my wish. Amy Lane is an amazing writer and story teller and I highly recommend this book.
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥
I was just looking for a short, easy read when I picked this up. Under 100 pages, no problem. But that's not what I got at all.

This is told from Brian's POV, and he tells the story through a lot of flashbacks, and sometimes that can be confusing. I had trouble figuring out the timeline and whether or not I was in their past or present. But besides that, this is a really touching story. It deals with a lot of heavy issues, and it had me crying on more than one occasion. Brian and Tate were reall
Deeze

I really like Amy Lane's characters. They tend to grab me pretty quick, and this was no exception. Tate is such a sweet guy, completely opposite from the punk look he displays. Brian is the loyal kind of guy you always want in your corner.

Buddy Read This Weekend! Jump In??? 88 33 Feb 15, 2013 10:55PM
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Take My Picture
  • Between Sinners and Saints
  • Finding Zach (Finding Zach, #1)
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
  • Stronger In Your Hands (The Making of a Man #3)
  • Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)
  • American Love Songs
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • Admit One
  • Wes and Toren
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
151973
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more
More about Amy Lane...

Talker (3 books)
  • Talker's Redemption (Talker, #2)
  • Talker's Graduation (Talker, #3)
Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1) The Locker Room Clear Water Chase in Shadow (Johnnies, #1) Truth in the Dark

“Turns out that sometimes, faith and a sense of humor really can be all you need.” 9 likes
“He'd always known that shit rolled downhill, but he never knew tears did the same thing.” 8 likes