Start by marking “Memoirs Of A Fruitcake” as Want to Read:
Memoirs Of A Fruitcake

Memoirs Of A Fruitcake

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  877 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Continuing the story of the hugely successful television and radio broadcaster, this sequel documents the remaining journey of self-discovery undertaken by Chris Evans. Picking up after the host’s purchase of the immensely popular Virgin Radio, the account depicts how Evans had become a media mogul in his own right, until his life took a darker turn. The end of his caree
Published October 29th 2010 by HarperCollins UK (first published October 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs Of A Fruitcake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs Of A Fruitcake

Godzilla
Having read the first volume of his autobiography, and found it a little dull, I started this with not a little trepidation: yes it should cover the "interesting" years, but what would he really reveal.

I should point out right now that I'm not a Chris Evans fan. I can appreciate his creativity, but he's ultimately a little annoying (not in the Simon Cowell stratosphere of despicability, but annoying all the same)

He certainly reveals quite a few details, but also has the decency to preserve some
Richard
Memoirs of a Fruitcake covers Chris Evans time as owner of Virgin Radio, through the sale of that business - turning Evans into a multi-millionaire, his whirlwind marriage to Billie Piper, and subsequently his time away from TV before returning to the limelight with BBC Radio 2.

Whilst I couldn't put the book down whilst reading it - enjoying every chapter, with hindsight the book doesn't feel very satisfying to have read. Many of the chapters focus on Evans buying and selling property and cars,
Liisa
Have you ever read a book and desperately wanted to like it and/or the person writing it? This was my experience with Chris Evans’ !Memoirs of a Fruitcake". In fact I did immensely like the beginning and wondered why I don’t succumb to the lure more often and indulge in biographies and autobiographies. By the middle, I remembered why I prefer fiction and laboured through the rest of the book until the end.

What I liked about the book:
* I am a highly-organised, slightly oddbod and as such I loved
Mark
Another great book to read. Normally, I wouldn't be able to read any biographies very quickly but this one was very captivating and I read it in just one day. As with the first volume of Chris' biography, its very easy to pick up and dip into in that the chapters are short, but I was quite engrossed and just wanted to carry on reading. Each chapter starts with his top 10's which are quite entertaining to read in their own right. This book carries on immediately from where the first volume finish ...more
Peter Marsh
I was given this book a a present, it's not one I would have bought myself.

I found it disapointing, not neccesarily because it was that badly written (although it's certainly not well written), not because he wasn't honest (he appears as far as I'm aware to be pretty honest) but because Chris Evans doesn't come across as a particularly interesting or for that matter likeable character.
He loves his cars - so what, he has lots of money (most of the time) - so what, he goes out with well known wome
Michael
Chris Evans' Memoirs Of A Fruitcake begins where his first book It's Not What You Think ends. Evans is purchasing his own radio station to continue his successful morning radio career and he could not be happier or at least he thinks.

The second book uses the same format as first one. Each chapter starts with a clever top ten list with number one being the main story of the chapter. Again the stories are told with humor sometimes at the expense of the author himself.

There were a few differences
Paul Wardman
The second book from the madcap ginger radio/ tv presenter.
If I thought his first book showed him making rash decisions then this was just filled with pure insanity and idiocy. From turning down a cheque for £53 million to getting completely wasted for months on end and finding new ways to throw money away this, at times is the story of a man who shouldn't have been allowed to make a decision before consulting an unaffiliated lawyer.
What makes this book such a good read (no pun intended) is th
Stephen Huntley
Chris Evans is a shallow, self-obsessed, annoying man, but his honesty, energy and sunny disposition give him some charm. His book, like him, is very childlike, both in its literary quality and its superficial examination of what is really a remarkable series of events. But Instead of revelatory pearls we get dull, fawning celebratory encounters interspersed with mindless episodes of revolting extravagance, plenty of preening, and a few sobering moments of mea culpa. No dirt is dished, no secret ...more
Mark
A few good anecdotes but a little too self-indulgent in places, which makes the pace alternate between interesting and dull. Worth reading if you like the man and/or his previous book.
Karen
It wasn't a conscious lifestyle choice. Starting to listen to Radio 2, that is. Anyone I mention it to, however, likes to make a dig that I must be getting old, though. I land the blame squarely at the door of the two Chrises - Mr Moyles on Radio 1 for being such a twat and Mr Evans for sounding genuinely warm, sincere and likeable - when my car stereo went a bit bonkers and would only play the radio (and the adverts on commercial radio just makes me want to smash a hole in my dashboard).

And for
Amy Wiley
It took a while to really get into this book. If I am honest I do not really care about Chris Evans, I have only ever seen him on The One Show but the occasional autobiography does not get dismissed.
Chris' writing style was very mature and well paced. I very much enjoyed this as he never dwelled too much on one subject.
The chapters were well paced and I enjoyed the 'Top 10' lists, inviting you to read a new chapter. I also find it motivating to have smaller chapters as I have time to read anot
Kingfan30
My knowledge of Chris Evans before starting this book was not huge, I know about TFI Friday but never saw it, I know he was married to Billie Pipper, I know he loves cars and I know he's a DJ on Radio 2 because my husband listens to it and thats was about it.

It was actually hubby that picked up this book to read and it has sat around the house doing not much, so I got to a point where I need something light and entertaining to read to break up some of the big novels that have dropped through my
Barbara
Funny how so many people who have read this aren't fans. I'm not either, I find him a little annoying, but I do like him better after reading this book. I picked it up mainly because I wanted to know how in the heck he ended up with Billie Piper, a girl who could have most any man she wanted. I get it after reading the book. It may not be the best writing but you can tell he wrote it himself, he said it was important to him that he did. It does seem very honest and reflective and I found it ente ...more
Janet
Actually three and a half. Read the first one and enjoyed it. This was also really good but went on about cars a bit too much for me so that lowered the star rating by half. Just makes you realise that all that money doesn't always make you happy.
Martin Sidgreaves
After reading "It's Not What You Think" I was really keen to read this book.

Like him or loath him, Evans' books are easy to read & entertaining and this one is no different. Continuing the tale of his life, this book covers the last 10 years or so including his financial problems, life with Billie and his rise to the Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 2. Entertaining, short, sharp chapters written with his trademark wit and style make this a fun book from start to finish. For it to make sense thou
Julie
Funny and sad. Was never a Chris Evans fan, in fact in the 90s when he was everywhere I hated him but now he's a grown up you can see just how talented he really is.
Jim
I enjoyed this as much as the first one. I always wonder, with autobiographies, how honest they are and found myself thinking a few times "was he really lucid enough to behave compassionately towards people in the way he described?". A cynical reader could interpret the author's professed 'meaningful relationships' as a series of bunk ups, celebrities using their star power to bed whoever they like and make more out of it than it actually was in order to come across to their readers as a more th ...more
Ruth
I enjoyed this much more than I expected to. It's a story of zero to hero to zero to ... well not quite hero but certainly to someone who has the humility to appreciate the errors of his former spoiled-boy lifestyle. He seems to have led an almost charmed life, always bumping into somebody famous at the right moment and emerging unscathed from many years of heavy drinking and risk-taking. He gained millions and just as easily lost them all again but seems now to have found a point of stability a ...more
David Betts
Can't help liking Chris Evans, even though he ought, by rights, to be one of the world's more unlikeable people. Same goes for this book, which catalogues his descent into lunacy and (at least partial) recovery. Not sure if it's refreshingly honest or blatant self-justification, but I couldn't put it down. Galloped through it in a couple of sittings... mind you, it's not long. Evans writes as he speaks, so short sentences; often slightly frenetic; and jumping all over the place. I loved it. Othe ...more
Lynsey
I'm not particularly a fan of Chris Evans, but I was lent his first book, enjoyed it and was disappointed when it stopped short of the Billie years! So I happened upon this book and dived in feet first. But for me, it lacked something which the first volume had. Maybe it was that Chris was already famous and successful by now. The theme of this book did seem to be 'Whoops, I've got a lot of money'. There were plenty of enjoyable stories but this felt more like fulfiling a book deal that a need t ...more
Louise Cochrane
I'm not normally one to read many biographies, but this one had been read by my boyfriend and came recommended.

I have to admit, I wasn't previously a fan of Evans; I'd found him pretty annoying on his TV shows, but between this book and his Radio 2 breakfast show, I must say that I've become really fond of the guy!

He happily admits that he used to be an idiot and he has done a lot of growing up. I found that him to be endearing and honest and really enjoyed this memoir.
Meredith Walker
Quick and easy to read but not as enjoyable as the first autobiography. The insight into his marriage to Billie Piper was interesting. As were the chapters where he reflects on his alcoholism which reveal what a genuine guy he is. I enjoyed these much more than the stories of the rise and fall of Virgin Radio. The top tens are entertaining highlights again.
Martin
Really enjoyed both parts of Evans' autobiography. As well as being an incredible and honest story of the ups and downs he has lived through, it is laugh-out-loud funny in places. It goes to show that sometimes in laugh you have to take chances and that you shouldn't take life, or yourself, too seriously. Easy to read, it's well worth giving it a go.

Aunty Janet
I'm not a big fan of Chris Evans, but enjoyed his earlier biography. I enjoyed reading this one even more. It gives a fascinating insight into the ups and downs of fame and wealth. I like Evans' writing style, he claims to have written the book himself and just had help with editing. It's his side of the story of his life and I found it quite compelling.
Barry Bridges
I've always liked Chris Evans. I was a fan of Big Breakfast, TFI, Toothbrush et al and have also indulged in the radio shows along the way. And this second part of his autobiography didn't disappoint. I've given it 5 stars because it is a proper page turner, the man bears his soul and comes out more a real person than a cake. Raisins to be cheerful!
Keith Lawrence
Enjoyable read; want to read the previous one now!
Tina
Funny, honest, a bit painful in places as you read with embarrassment for Chris of his mistakes along the way. The love story of Chris and Billie is touchingly sad and very real! If only we all had the guts ti know when it's time to let go, and actually do something about it. A good entertaining read.
Mark Clough
A book in which Chris Evans reveals how he drank too much, lost millions by being pig-headed, but was saved by the love of a good woman. I like him on the radio, but I suspect I'd find him a bit too full on in real life. Nothing to worry about there then, is there?
Colin Lowndes
One mans stories of the wilderness years! What happened between buying his own radio station to his return as he most listened to DJ in he UK. Flash cars, teen brides and weeklong drink sessions ensure at his story I never dull!
Dignan107
Another highly enjoyable insight into Evans' life. Top tens remain honest, funny and highly entertaining - a great idea from the first book. His publicised tabloid stories again written with brutal honesty. A great read!
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • Small Man in a Book
  • A Young Man's Passage
  • Life And Laughing: My Story
  • In Pursuit of Glory
  • Beauty, Disrupted
Chris Evans is a British radio broadcaster.
More about Chris Evans...
It's Not What You Think