Start by marking “The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse ” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse

The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  925 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Do you ever feel that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? Well, so did Johnny Town-Mouse and Timmy Willie. One was a town mouse and one was a country mouse, and when they end up in each other's worlds they soon discover that they were much happier where they started!

The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse is number 13 in Beatrix Potter's series of 23 little b
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published January 1st 1918)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth GrahameMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'BrienThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhitePrince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
Best Books Featuring Rodents
29th out of 131 books — 49 voters
Swallows and Amazons by Arthur RansomeThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Tale of Benjamin Bunny by Beatrix PotterThe Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle by Beatrix PotterThe Tale of Squirrel Nutkin by Beatrix Potter
Lake District authors
25th out of 44 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth - I SNIFF BOOKS
I don’t remember reading any Beatrix Potter as a child so when I saw a basket full of small-sized Beatrix Potter books at my library, I borrowed a few.

The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse is WONDERFUL!!!

Just check out the first page of narrative:
“Johnny Town-mouse was born in a cupboard. Timmy Willie was born in a garden. Timmy Willie was a little country mouse who went to town by mistake in a hamper. The gardener sent vegetables to town once a week by carrier; he packed them in a big hamper.”

That fi
Prashant
Apr 04, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I guess this one was really personal for Beatrix Potter. Seems like she wanted the world to know that she liked the way she lived and the classic parable "to each his own".

The story is of Johnny Town-Mouse and Timmy Willie, the country mouse. Timmy Willie accidentally reaches the town and is heartily welcomed by Johnny and his entourage. In the town the customs, food and even the sounds are all different. This makes the country mouse nervous and sick.

Timmy decides to return for good and after
Izida
Apr 03, 2016 Izida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cute and smart mini tale, I enjoyed reading it. Over-cute and beautiful draws :) Recommending!
---
Наистина сладка и поучителна мини история, наслаждавах се на четенето. Изключително сладки и красиви илюстрации :) Препоръчвам!
B-zee
Aug 21, 2014 B-zee rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Timmy Willie adalah seekor tikus desa yang terbawa ke kota. Dia bertemu para tikus kota, salah satunya Johnny, yang menjamunya dengan baik. Sayangnya, tak ada tempat seindah rumah, Timmy tidak betah dan memutuskan pulang ke desa. Lama berselang, Johnny melakukan kunjungan balik, dan sekali lagi, tak ada tempat seindah rumah.

Desa dan kota adalah dua tempat yang sangat berbeda, dengan kelebihan dan kekurangannya masing-masing. Namun bagi penghuni asli, rumah adalah tempat paling nyaman. Dalam kasu
shanay
Nov 22, 2015 shanay rated it it was amazing
there's a mouse named timmy willie, he's a country mouse who falls asleep in a basket of veggies after eating some peas. the basket is picked up by some human and is taken into the city. when timmy awakens, he's in a new strange place. he runs into a large house, and slips through a hole, and lands in the middle of a mouse dinner party that is being thrown by johnny town-mouse.

timmy is welcomed to the party and tries to fit in, but he finds the noises made by the house cat and the maid frighteni
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Sweet story of what it's like to live in town vs. country. I really liked how Potter drew the mice so differently (I should know, I catch both kids all the time in my walls!) Also, I'm with Timmy, the city was too noisey and scary, plus, lots of mice deaths...
Maria Eleynita
Jan 19, 2015 Maria Eleynita rated it liked it
One place suits one person, another place suits another person.
Heila
Feb 12, 2015 Heila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Now I remember. I don't actually like some of Beatrix Potter's books - they kind of give me the willies (mouse pie for instance; and stealing nuts and getting stuck in a tree - yeek, kind of nightmarish in my opinion). But this one I can't get enough of! A couple parts are so funny! Such a great story (based on a fable of Aesop's), and with phenomenal art. Timmy Willie is a great character, who prefers to live in the country like Beatrix. Lots of nice touches of humor and the story clips along.
Wilde Sky
Feb 05, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
A country mouse ends up in the city and finds it doesn’t suit him.

I thought this was a really good short story highlighting how different environments suit different mice (people). The illustrations were enchanting.
Jonathan
Feb 01, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Based on an Aesop's fable, this has a lovely message that we all appreciate different things. What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same things, and a crowded home if we all wanted to live in the same place.
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Kathryn
Aug 02, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
As written on the last page of the story "One place suits one person, another place suits another person. For my part, I prefer to live in the country, like Timmy Willie."
Nina
Aug 08, 2016 Nina rated it really liked it
Shelves: beatrix-potter
This story makes sense for me, amongst several stories of Beatrix Potter I read this evening. The illustrations are beautiful and the story itself is good.
Miri
Oct 28, 2014 Miri rated it liked it
The tale of Johnny town mouse and a little country mouse who gets transported to the city accidentally, very reminiscent of City Mouse Country Mouse.
Dianna
Jan 22, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing
I thought I had seen everything by Beatrix Potter, so I had to pick this one up when we saw it at the library.

It's a retelling of Aesop's story of the Town Mouse and the Country Mouse, and it's very well done. The pictures are charming, of course, and I love the conversational tone of the story that is so typical of Beatrix Potter.

The most interesting part about it to me, though, is the last page, where she writes, "One place suits one person, another place suits another person. For my part, I p
kristen.ferguson
Cool

Cool hsh ejej djej ejdj djjd stop please this is a nic ebook but dont bring it up again please
Joy
Beatrix Potter retells the classic Aesop tale of the city mouse and the country mouse in her own fashion.
Ruth
Aug 26, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. I love Beatrix Potter she is one of my favourite childhokd authors.
Jadalynn
Oct 10, 2011 Jadalynn rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This story is a picture book for nursery to primary readers. It’s about a little field mouse that accidentally ends up in town. There are beautiful little pictures on one page while all the text is on the opposite page. I think it could be helpful to introduce children to what things are like when they’re put in new places. Children move from room to room as they grow older in day cares. Some children move from place to place. Sometimes things seem weird and uncomfortable, but so often they’re j ...more
Ginny
May 27, 2015 Ginny rated it it was amazing
I'm with Timmy Willie (and Beatrix Potter) -- "I prefer to live in the country."
Wsclai
Nov 21, 2015 Wsclai rated it really liked it
One place suits one person, another place suits another person.
jacky
Mar 02, 2010 jacky rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm almost at the end of reading all of Beatrix Potter, and I thought that I was not going to find another story that I really enjoyed. But, then came Timmy Willie. I was first taken in by the adorable mice pictures on every page. The story was also simple, yet fun. It isn't a very original idea (well, I guess it might have been in 1918); it has a town and a country mouse who see the pitfalls of each others way of life. My favorite part might be when Timmy Willie falls into the middle of the tow ...more
Diane
Feb 14, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
cute tale about a country mouse and a city mouse
Christabelle
May 31, 2016 Christabelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
What can I say? We are enamored with these little books! The pictures are excellent and the stories engaging. We look forward to the next one.
Sam
Oct 28, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This tells the tale of Timmie Willie as he manages to find himself in the hamper on his way to town where he meets Johnny Town-Mouse and friends. After finding that town life is not to his taste, he makes his way home where Johnny visits and finds that country-life is not for him. A beautifully written and illustrated story that will appeal to adults and children alike
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection Volume Two

Shouldn't this be called the story of Timmy Willie, instead? Anyway, I agree with the ending lines, each with their own. And although I appreciate the solitude and the serene atmosphere that the country offers, I'd find myself bored to bits thus I am more like Johnny Town-Mouse.
Emkoshka
Feb 27, 2016 Emkoshka rated it really liked it
A classic tale of the differences between country living and city living, the moral being that what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another. Timmy Willie's surprise encounter with Johnny Town-Mouse and his sophisticated friends at tea is amusing, as is Johnny's reciprocal visit to the rustic idyll of a country garden. To each their own.
Mimi
Mar 04, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-children
Apparently when Potter was illustrating this story, her eyesight was beginning to fail her and she was unhappy with the drawings, but I think they are beautiful and delightful as ever.

I love the chubby, happy country mouse and the tall, elegant town mouse. And I thought their actions and behaviors were funny.
Kim
Dec 31, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
I really love this one. I read that Potter wrote it and personally was explaining the "to each her own" and her happiness of how she chose to live her life.

I think this story has a deep meaning; a little read for the future if I need a quick mental break paired with a dose of encouragement.
Steph
Dec 06, 2011 Steph rated it it was amazing
I feel a lot like Timmy in this story about a mouse who accidentally travels to the city. I currently live in the city now and, like Timmy, crave the country. Maybe I will follow Timmy's actions and go back home. Johnny Town-Mouse, on the other hand, is perfectly content in the city.
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear
  • Autumn Story
  • Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • The Children of Willow Farm (Rewards)
  • But No Elephants
  • Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Museum ABC
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of A Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet

“One place suits on person, another place suits another person. For my part, I prefer to live in the country, like Timmy Willie.” 5 likes
“Κάθε άνθρωπος βολεύεται στον τόπο που του ταιριάζει."
"One place suits one person, another place suits another person.”
0 likes