Start by marking “The Tale of Tom Kitten” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Tom Kitten

The Tale of Tom Kitten (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,595 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
The Tale of Tom Kitten is set in the cottage garden Beatrix created herself at Hill Top, the farm she owned near the village of Sawrey. Tom and his sisters look so smart in their new clothes. When their mother sends them outside while she waits for her visitors, she couldn't possibly guess what kind of mess they are going to get themselves into!

The Tale of Tom Kitten is nu
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published 1907)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
268th out of 3,450 books — 6,550 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultSkippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Picture Books about Cats
6th out of 376 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Prashant
Mar 24, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
Does someone remember the movie Despicable Me made by Disney. One fine movie and it had an adorable scene of the 3 girls being read a book by their despicable and conniving (adopted) father.
The story that was read to them had three little kittens who were forced to go to bed by their mother. Let me reproduce the little poem here.

3 little kittens loved to play,
They had fun in the sun all day,
Then their mother came out and say,
Time for kittens to go to bed.

3 little kittens started to brawl,
‘mumm
Gerry
Feb 04, 2016 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This edition of Tom Kitten is different in that the illustrations are not by Beatrix Potter but have been created for the 1990s TV series 'The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends'. This does not detract from the tale or its visual appeal, for the illustrations have their own charm and suit the book perfectly.

In this story there were three little kittens, Mittens, Moppet and Tom Kitten who used to roll about and play in the dust and dirt. One day their mother, Mrs Tabitha Twitchit, was expecting fr
Annet
Mar 22, 2015 Annet rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Traditionally I start the year with a Beatrix Potter, I believe this is my 7th story now... so several more to go. As a child, although loving to read, I was not familiar with the Beatrix Potter books, so I'm catching up.
This is a sweet little story about three naughty little kittens up to mischief, helped by a couple of ducks, in short :-)
I admire Beatrix Potter for her career, her creativity and I love the cute little drawings. 3.5 stars for me.
Manny
Apr 09, 2010 Manny rated it really liked it
"His hat fell off, and the rest of his buttons burst." Isn't that a great line?
Aldon Rau
Mar 30, 2012 Aldon Rau rated it it was amazing
It is not always easy to find something to read at our house. Reading material is plentiful, but oftentimes immediately after I settle upon a book, some family member discovers that he or she is in dire need of that exact volume. Hence, I have been forced to adopt some stealthy methods of getting my fair share of literary diversion.

For example, today my sister was sitting on the couch, having The Tale of Tom Kitten read to her by our mother. These small volumes are favorites of my sister; as she
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Trying to antropomorphize you cute kittens with clothes seems crazy, but then Tom's mother also beats him... on a side note, I loved my Tom Kitten toy when I was little and was always taking his clothes off, because he just wanted to be a cat!
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Ivan
Jul 25, 2016 Ivan rated it it was amazing
Classic Potter.
Shaa
Sep 01, 2014 Shaa rated it really liked it
Buku Beatrix Potter kedua yang kubaca setelah The Tale of Benjamin Bunny. Ceritanya lebih seru! Menceritakan kenakalan Thomas--biasa dipanggil Tom--si kucing bersama dua saudarinya, Mittens dan Moppet.

Suatu hari, ibu mereka, Bu Tabitha Twitchit akan kedatangan tamu-tamu terhormat. Maka, ibu kucing tersebut mendandani anak-anaknya dengan pakaian bagus. Tom yang semakin gemuk tak muat lagi pakaiannya sampai kancing-kancingnya terlepas, sehingga ibunya harus menjahitnya kembali.

Setelah ketiga anak
Mimi
Mar 04, 2012 Mimi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-children
Those poor little kittens, expecting to walk on their hind legs in fancy clothes outdoors and stay clean! More than they can handle.

I chuckled when I realized what her explanation was for why ducks put their heads under the water with their tails up in the air.

I love how Potter's different stories connect in unexpected ways, carrying characters from one to another, here and there, popping up like old friends where you don't expect them.
shanay
Nov 23, 2015 shanay rated it it was amazing
we see tom kitten again! we also see his sisters, mittens and moppet too!

this one starts with tom's mother expecting "fine company" for tea so she brings her dirty kittens inside the house so they can freshen up and get dressed before her friends arrive.

tom is a very naughty kitten and fights with his mother while she attempts to groom him. tabitha dresses moppet and mittens in clean pinafores and tuckers, and tom in "all sorts of elegant uncomfortable clothes" taken from a chest of drawers. bu
Yumi Learner
Oct 06, 2013 Yumi Learner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I found the book at a thrift shop in Alabama, and I bought it for one and a half dollars. I love Beatrix Potter's books, and I'm a big fan of Petter Rabbit.

When I saw the illustration of the Tom Kitten, I thought it was just my kitten, Jiji. He is also a tabby cat like Tom.

Both the story and illustrations are very cute, and I really enjoyed both of them. After I return to Japan, I want to paint my kitten like Beatrix Potter did.
Amarithia Lecroix
Me encanta este libro, lo tengo desde pequeña, como antes no era una lectora tan entusiasta como ahora no tenía idea que la historia era de Beatrix Potter.

Tomi y sus hermanos son gatitos muy juguetones y con hermoso pelaje, como gatitos que son les encanta tirarse al suelo y jugar en la tierra por lo que no duran limpios mucho tiempo, un día Mamá Gata los arregla y viste porque tendrán visitas importantes, pero luego comete el error de dejarlos salir afuera para que ella pudiera terminar de pre
monica ♪
Very cute story. I own kittens too and one of them named Tom as well. And they're all very naughty!! I always feel so exhausted every time I'm done catsitting them.
So I know how does it feel to be Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit. LOL
Heila
Feb 11, 2015 Heila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Outstanding. I didn't read all of these as a kid that I remember. In fact, I'm not sure I liked them then. Now though, the humor, the GORGEOUS natural world portrayed in the illustrations, and the lively, cute characters (and how they're drawn!) are all a perfect combination. I liked this one a lot. The jumbling, active three little kittens, and the three ducks and how they walk/waddle...
Sarah Crawford
Jan 26, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is another in the Beatrix Potter series of books, copyright 1907, with colored illustrations.

There are three kittens in the family, Moppet, Tom and Mittens. Tom is a rather badly-behaved kitten. The mother sends them into the garden to stay out of the way while she gets ready for a guest, but all three kittens manage to lose all the clothes the mother had put on them.

It's quite a cute story without any hidden darker meanings or events.
Somerandom
Jan 20, 2013 Somerandom rated it really liked it
Ahh, another delightful sample of Ms Potter's imagination.

This cute tale is about Tabitha, who has invited her friend over for tea. Of course, this means that the rambunctious kittens must behave prim and proper for their guest. But the rebellious kittens have other ideas. After encountering some ducks, they are busted by their Mother. Uh oh!

I think I like the TV episode version alot better, as it adds another Potter story to the mix. The tale of Jemima Puddle Duck. Which fit in nicely to the na
Mirjam
Sep 24, 2015 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Adorable illustrations, some of which feature Hill Top Farm in the background. Some pretty naïve parenting on Ms. Twitchit's part and some hilariously ill-adjusted puddle duck feature in prominent roles.
Erma Talamante
Dec 03, 2014 Erma Talamante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s
A classic tale about three naughty little kittens. The small book size is perfect for small hands, and the story is perfect for short attentions. Part of a collection of Peter Rabbit Books by Beatrix Potter.
Christopher Cali
Great classic

It is an timeless classic. Children of all ages are enthralled by the story so much so that it does not matter if there are no pictures they love it just the same.
Kalen
Dec 31, 2014 Kalen rated it really liked it
This Beatrix Potter book was really cute and the pictures are great. Some of her books I find long for little children and young readers but this one was very nice.
Colby Coombs
Aug 11, 2016 Colby Coombs rated it it was amazing
Kevin
Oct 17, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing
C.S. Lewis wrote that Potter has "a secure place among our English prose stylists". He was correct. I love Beatrix Potter's books and illustrations.
Ginny
May 25, 2015 Ginny rated it it was amazing
I am particularly fond of the illustration of Tom Kitten getting dressed in the clothes that he's outgrown. He looks so startled!
Onysha
Mar 09, 2014 Onysha rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love how Tom's buttons keep popping off his coat. Potter has a great explanation for why ducks dunk themselves in water.
Marie Gray
As a child, I would get lost in the beautiful illustrations of this little book that fit just right in my hands...
Wsclai
Nov 21, 2015 Wsclai rated it it was amazing
Set at Beatrix Potter's Hilltop, definitely one of my favouite in the collection.
Maria Eleynita
Nov 25, 2014 Maria Eleynita rated it liked it
Fast reads, cute story about cats and the ducks. Cute naughty cats were sent to sleep. oh well, again never disobey your parents.
Vaishali Joglekar
Jul 08, 2016 Vaishali Joglekar rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, art
A delightful journey back into childhood. So innocent and funny!
Joy
A tale about three naughty kittens who ruin their fine clothes.
  • Winter Story
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • Little Fur Family
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • It's a Busy, Busy World
  • Morgan and Me (Serendipity)
  • Babar and His Children
  • The King, the Mice and the Cheese
  • Madeline and the Gypsies
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • My Goodnight Book
  • Oh Say Can You Say?
  • The Caterpillar and the Polliwog
  • The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit