Start by marking “The Tale of Tom Kitten” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Tom Kitten

The Tale of Tom Kitten (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  4,814 ratings  ·  98 reviews
To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in
Published September 16th 2002 by Warne (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Tom Kitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Tom Kitten

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
268th out of 3,115 books — 5,949 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
5th out of 325 books — 156 voters

More lists with this book...

Prashant
Does someone remember the movie Despicable Me made by Disney. One fine movie and it had an adorable scene of the 3 girls being read a book by their despicable and conniving (adopted) father.
The story that was read to them had three little kittens who were forced to go to bed by their mother. Let me reproduce the little poem here.

3 little kittens loved to play,
They had fun in the sun all day,
Then their mother came out and say,
Time for kittens to go to bed.

3 little kittens started to brawl,
‘mumm
Annet
Traditionally I start the year with a Beatrix Potter, I believe this is my 7th story now... so several more to go. As a child, although loving to read, I was not familiar with the Beatrix Potter books, so I'm catching up.
This is a sweet little story about three naughty little kittens up to mischief, helped by a couple of ducks, in short :-)
I admire Beatrix Potter for her career, her creativity and I love the cute little drawings. 3.5 stars for me.
Manny
"His hat fell off, and the rest of his buttons burst." Isn't that a great line?
Aldon Rau
It is not always easy to find something to read at our house. Reading material is plentiful, but oftentimes immediately after I settle upon a book, some family member discovers that he or she is in dire need of that exact volume. Hence, I have been forced to adopt some stealthy methods of getting my fair share of literary diversion.

For example, today my sister was sitting on the couch, having The Tale of Tom Kitten read to her by our mother. These small volumes are favorites of my sister; as she
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Trying to antropomorphize you cute kittens with clothes seems crazy, but then Tom's mother also beats him... on a side note, I loved my Tom Kitten toy when I was little and was always taking his clothes off, because he just wanted to be a cat!
Shaa
Buku Beatrix Potter kedua yang kubaca setelah The Tale of Benjamin Bunny. Ceritanya lebih seru! Menceritakan kenakalan Thomas--biasa dipanggil Tom--si kucing bersama dua saudarinya, Mittens dan Moppet.

Suatu hari, ibu mereka, Bu Tabitha Twitchit akan kedatangan tamu-tamu terhormat. Maka, ibu kucing tersebut mendandani anak-anaknya dengan pakaian bagus. Tom yang semakin gemuk tak muat lagi pakaiannya sampai kancing-kancingnya terlepas, sehingga ibunya harus menjahitnya kembali.

Setelah ketiga anak
Mimi
Those poor little kittens, expecting to walk on their hind legs in fancy clothes outdoors and stay clean! More than they can handle.

I chuckled when I realized what her explanation was for why ducks put their heads under the water with their tails up in the air.

I love how Potter's different stories connect in unexpected ways, carrying characters from one to another, here and there, popping up like old friends where you don't expect them.
Somerandom
Ahh, another delightful sample of Ms Potter's imagination.

This cute tale is about Tabitha, who has invited her friend over for tea. Of course, this means that the rambunctious kittens must behave prim and proper for their guest. But the rebellious kittens have other ideas. After encountering some ducks, they are busted by their Mother. Uh oh!

I think I like the TV episode version alot better, as it adds another Potter story to the mix. The tale of Jemima Puddle Duck. Which fit in nicely to the na
E.  Talamante
A classic tale about three naughty little kittens. The small book size is perfect for small hands, and the story is perfect for short attentions. Part of a collection of Peter Rabbit Books by Beatrix Potter.
Kalen
This Beatrix Potter book was really cute and the pictures are great. Some of her books I find long for little children and young readers but this one was very nice.
Kevin
C.S. Lewis wrote that Potter has "a secure place among our English prose stylists". He was correct. I love Beatrix Potter's books and illustrations.
Onysha
I love how Tom's buttons keep popping off his coat. Potter has a great explanation for why ducks dunk themselves in water.
Elaine
Fast reads, cute story about cats and the ducks. Cute naughty cats were sent to sleep. oh well, again never disobey your parents.
Gemma
I would recommend this book to
any little imaginative child.
It's wonderful!
Kathryn
Tom Kitten and his two sister Mittens and Moppet have such a hard time staying clean for their mother's tea party. Adorable.
F.J. Ismarianto
Tepatnya 1,5. Aku nggak gitu nangkap apa makna dalam kisah ini.
Aisyah Nassim
better than the other series gotta read
Albina
Mjög skrítin saga! En sætar myndir
FrannieMay
Loved reading this when I was little.
Faith
Read it in 10 minutes.
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection.

AJ
TREES OF REVERIE 72 HR READATHON JANUARY 2015: BOOK #4

Another cute, fun story by Miss Potter.
Yumi Learner
I found the book at a thrift shop in Alabama, and I bought it for one and a half dollars. I love Beatrix Potter's books, and I'm a big fan of Petter Rabbit.

When I saw the illustration of the Tom Kitten, I thought it was just my kitten, Jiji. He is also a tabby cat like Tom.

Both the story and illustrations are very cute, and I really enjoyed both of them. After I return to Japan, I want to paint my kitten like Beatrix Potter did.
Dominika
Imádom a cicákat, és nem volt ez másként a könyvben szereplő kiscicákkal sem! Beatrix Potternek meg volt az a tökéletes képessége, hogy olyan karaktereket kreáljon, amik szerethetőek! Az illusztrációk fergetegesek, de nem csak ebben a könyvben, hanem az összes megjelent könyvecskében! Az biztos, hogy ha lesznek gyerekeim, ők is Beatrix Potter meséket fognak nézni és olvasni! :)
Dominick
I love Beatrix Potter, but she seems to be marking time in this slight tale. Tabitha Twitchett's having guests over, so she dresses her kittens. They go outside, lose their clothes, come home and get sent to bed, where they play instead of being quiet. That's it. It's beautiful to look at as always and amusing, but there's no real meat to it at all.
Sandy Tinsdale
Classic Potter!

Love those kittens just doing what kids do best- not listening, being true to themselves (walk on their hind legs and wear pretty clothes, pffftt not likely) trashing their bedroom and embarrassing their mother!

Have this whole set and it's read to the point of wearing out the spines- now that's a sign of a loved book!
Heather Moss
May 08, 2009 Heather Moss marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Mine is in French: L'Histoire De Tom Chaton: Livre D'Histoires En Couleurs (Dover Little Activity Books) but it has the same ISBN as this edition. Not sure if that was the mistake of whomever put it in this way or not. Anyhow, Tom Kitten is great! I love Beatrix Potter's books and I am glad Dover makes them so affordable to all.
Christy
katsok
Read this one tonight to my son. Fun finding my writing in the front from 1980 when I was six. (I wrote, "To Katherine. Happy Easter, the Easter Bunny 1980"). Not sure if it was truly from the Easter Bunny or I just wanted him to give me a book. Fun to read it to my five year old but wow, quite the vocabulary!
Natasha
Tabitha is having a tea party so she dresses her kittens in their best clothes, then sends them outside to wait until the guests arrive. Obviously, being little kittens, Tom and his sisters don't stay clean for long...
  • Winter Story
  • Oh Say Can You Say?
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
  • Where's Waldo Now?
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • But No Elephants
  • The Gingerbread Boy
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny