Plainsong for Caitlin

Plainsong for Caitlin (American Dreams)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  12 reviews
It was Rebecca's decision to go west, yet it is Caitlin who blossoms with the beauty and strength of the prairie itself. Challenged by the relentless hard work and life-threatening struggles that overwhelm timid Rebecca, Caitlin is enchanted by the rugged American West. And it is here that Caitlan discovers a love as compelling and dangerous as the land itself.
Mass Market Paperback, 163 pages
Published April 1st 1996 by Avon Flare (first published January 1st 1996)

Katie
Do you have those moments where you just sit back and appreciate how amazing the internet is? I read this book as a kid and it's been on my mind lately, but I couldn't remember the title or author. So I just plugged in what I DID remember--the basic premise of the book--and google found it for me right away. Amazon had a used copy and it was at my doorstep a few days later.

Anyway, this was probably one of the few true YA books I read when I was an actual teen, those pre-Harry Potter, pre-Twiligh...more
Danielle
I got this book back in elementary school...I think I bought it at a book fair. I was probably about 12. I've read this book at least a dozen times. It's a short, quick read. It's not a great read by any means or anything, but it's one of those books that I can pick up late at night if I'm having trouble sleeping and can knock it out in just a couple of hours. I'm not really sure why I like reading it so much. Maybe because it has a bit of adventure to it?

(I don't remember the exact date I bough...more
Brittney
I read this book when I was younger and I really liked it. It's the book that really got me into historical fiction which is my favorite literary genre. It's a romance definitely, but it also has a lot to teach about life in those days. I found that very interesting.
Nicolle
The cover on this book makes me giggle. It is so terrible! It makes it look like a trashy romance novel and I promise it's not. It's for teens and very clean. Cute story I remembered reading it when I was younger and had to buy it for my collection.
Shelley
After the death of Caitlin and Rebecca's father, along with Rebecca's fiancee, Rebecca becomes a mail order bride and the girls head west to Nebraska. Except Rebecca isn't suited to pioneer life or Nate...and Caitlin is. I read this way back in middle school or high school and I don't care how stereotypic romance novel-y it is, I love it so hard. And I always will. Despite the cover. I love Nate. I love how he loves Rebecca despite everything and I love how he loves Caitlin for all her strength...more
Susan
This is a sweet historical fiction novel about the settling of Nebraska in 1872. Sisters Caitlin and Rebecca lose everything when the ship their father and fiancee were on sinks. Rebecca decides to become a mail-order bride. There is no sex or swearing in the book, and the characters have integrity and high moral values. I have no idea why there is a man on the cover with his shirt unbuttoned to his belt. It makes it look like the novel is racy, but it isn't. It seems to me that those looking fo...more
Rebecca
Fifteen-year-old Caitlin's entire world falls apart when she recieves the news that her father has died in a shipwreck. Caitlin's older sister, Rebecca, decides the best thing for the two of them to do is to move west to Nebraska, where Rebecca is to marry a man she has never even met. But from the day they arrive in Nebraska and Caitlin meets Rebecca's husband-to-be, she knows this is going to be harder than she ever imagine. Caitlin and Nate fall in love immediatley, but Nate is determined to...more
Courtney Wyant
Borrowed from a school library, I throughly enjoyed this quick read while i was "listening" to my teacher teach. The characters were all well developed but I wished it to be a bit longer.
The author does a well job on the dialet of the speakers in the time, and I loved the setting with the thatch roof.
Caitlin reminds me alot of myself. She is so stubborn and thinks that if the boys can do it then so can I. She was the one who took care of herself and Rebecca, though Rebecca was the one who a...more
Catherine Boddie
I read this years ago and remember loving it. I have to wonder if I would still think it was as good if I reread it now.
Rebekah
I found this in a pile of free books and it gave me a feeling of nostalgia, so I took it home to love.
I think it was a decent story. It felt like the author was unable to give more depth to her characters and situations. I wish it could be given a non YA do-over.
That being said, I still enjoyed it for what it was.
Kate
So romantic. I loved it.
Nadine
Nadine marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Shae/Shelver
Shae/Shelver marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Jenna
Jenna added it
May 16, 2014
Karolien
Karolien marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Anh Dao
Anh Dao marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Jenny
Jenny added it
Dec 04, 2013
Anajoy-rusticgirl
Anajoy-rusticgirl marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Scribbles
Scribbles marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Wedding: An Encounter with Jan Van Eyck Lonely Heart (Palm Beach Prep, #1) Moving as One (Heart Beats, #1) Body Lines (Heart Beats, #2) Escape (So Weird, #3)