Start by marking “Brightest Day, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Brightest Day, Vol. 1

Brightest Day, Vol. 1 (Brightest Day #1; issues 0-7)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  946 ratings  ·  63 reviews
The follow-up to the best selling comics event BLACKEST NIGHT, written by Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi!Once dead, twelve heroes and villains have been resurrected by a white light expelled deep within the center of the earth. Called a miracle by many and a sign of the apocalypse by others, the reasons behind their rebirth remain a mystery.

Now, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, F
Published December 7th 2010 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Brightest Day, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brightest Day, Vol. 1

Sesana
Blackest Night was fantastic. One of the best crossover events to come out of DC. And Brightest Day is every bit as good, both as a crossover event and as a follow up to Blackest Night. Make no mistake, this is essentially a direct sequel, and going into this without having read Blackest Night is a big mistake. I'd venture to add that if you read the first without the second, you get an incomplete experience. Brightest Day is about what happened next for the twelve resurrected heroes and villain ...more
Peter
This trade combines the first 7 issues of th Brightest day. I bought this because I am reading Geoff Johns green lantern run, and I couldn't really understand brightest day: green lantern, so I decided to give the main event a try. This is the direct follow up to blackest night, a DC event where all the prior dead superheroes come back as zombies.

In here there are twelve superheroes that used to be dead, but are revived by a white ring/energy. But it seems like the energy has an idea/a plan for
Jesse Athey
Won't lie. I'm more than a bit confused at this point.
Mike McDevitt
Eight heroes, 4 villains, back from the dead- but are they ALL THE WAY BACK? What's up with that White Lantern? The mystery continues to unfold in this wide-reaching follow up to the risen dead of Blackest Night.
I am so far of the opinion that Geoff Johns can do no wrong.
Can't dash hopes like that: the Blue Lantern might flicker and dim!
John Yelverton
This is a fantastic book that amazes you with every page that you turn. A must read for comic book fans.
Kevin
Following directly from Blackest Night, the Brightest Day main series follows Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Deadman and Hawk as they try to figure out why they were brought back.

This volume sets up a lot of mystery and has most of the resurrected heroes afflicted with their zombified Black Lantern counterparts while uncovering mysteries from their past. Aquaman learns that his wife Mera's past is catching up with the both of them. Martian Manhunter hunts a crazed Mart
Barbara
How do you follow up the zombie apocalypse? If you're Geoff Johns, you write about twelve people, heroes and villains alike, who are given second chances at life and also are given duties to perform.

Volume 1 of "Brightest Day" collects issues #0-7 and weaves together several interconnecting storylines. Aquaman is seen with lover Mera at Amnesty Bay, looking contemplatively at the water and seeing his reflection in Black Lantern form. Their story continues with Aquaman summoning dead sea life aft
William Thomas
Some figures in the DC Universe should never die. Cancel their books because of low sales, fine. But don't kill them. Aquaman, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter. These three should be just as constant in the universe as Batman or Superman. The rest of these resurrected fools (minus Deadman) could have stayed in the grave- Firestorm and Hawk. Fairly worthless. And that is reflected in their separate storylines in this volume. Martian Manhunter is playing the detective, as he should be. A dark murder mys ...more
Kat
Stunning, color-filled artwork pushes it up a star

Interesting storyline - I picked it up primarily to find out what happens to the characters after Blackest Night - and wonderful art. But the characters don't seem to have distinct voices, and the dialogue is definitely ham-handed. However, I am caught up enough in the plot to read the other volumes to see what happens. And the coloring work is really marvelously done.
TJ Shelby
This is supposed to be the 1st of a 3 volume series. That being said, it was an okay intro volume but there were some good plot twists and great art so I bumped it up to 3 stars. Okay, just the fact that the Martian Manhunter is included it bumps it up a star for that alone. I'm interested to see where this is going and since Johns is writing it, I'm sure it will be.
Anne
This is excellent storytelling, and I'm totally into every part of it! I'm just glad that I have volume 2 sitting on a shelf waiting for me right now. I'd like to write a longer review, but I really can't wait to see what happens next.
Chris Jahng
Awesome stuff... love the Nova (Marvel) and the Green Lantern (DC) series... very cool stuff! Wish it wasn't so I could stop buying them, but so far I just can't stop reading the GL series by Geoff Johns.
Benjamin
I'm sorry, but I felt the writing was terrible. The multiple threads were messy and not very entertaining. I switched to a Guardians of the Galaxy story halfway and found it a more attracting read.
Craig Powell
In the continuance of the Blackest Night story, Johns plots the aftermath of the Blackest Night events by slowly giving more insight into the newly created White Lantern Corps. It is a mystery what kind of power is behind this new spectrum and exactly what reasoning exists for who was resurrected and who was not. It was breath of fresh air to have the story focus on lesser character such as Deadman, Hawk, and Dove. By incorporating additional character such as Hawkman & Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Fi ...more
Gavin
Brightest Day picks up at the end of Blackest Night, with the 12 resurrected heroed/villains now back alive and wondering what to do. Of the 12, this volume focuses on Deadman, Aquaman, Hawkman/Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter, and Firestorm. Prof Zoom, Max Lord, Capt. Boomerang don't have much to do with the story here; nor do Jade and Osiris. Hawk will end up being involved, but more peripherally.
I imagine you can find out what the other people do in other titles Brightest Day versions (Green Lante
Ander Lilly
Brightest Day picks up right after the events of Blackest Night where twelve heroes and villains have been given a second chance at life.

Spoilers ahead so be warned.

Each one is assigned a specific duty to fulfill in order to find the new champion of Earth. This volume focuses on Deadman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl/Hawkman, and Firestorm while the other characters like Reverse-Flash, Boomerang, and Maxwell Lord don't really have much of a part. Deadman finds himself the only one to be
คุกกี้
The Brightest Day is the direct sequel/follow-through after the Blackest Night.
Its not recommended to be read on it's own.

This one is good enough to get you interested in the fringe characters.

The art work is not consistent yet not bad.

The story is about the purposes waiting for them after the rebirth of various superheroes and their uses of the 2nd chance they got.
The book is quite good considering that it's the first part, the appetitiser of the maincourse which serve a mixture of cold and hea
Paul Riches
So with the conclusion of the hugely successful, both critically and commercially, Blackest Night crossover event, DC Comics launched two bi-weekly twenty four issues series to deal with the ramifications of everything that happened.

One series, Justice League Generation Lost, pops in with a wonderful premise and not so wonderful result. Its twin series, Brightest Day, is an improvement, but only just a smidgeon, which also makes it just a slightly above average read.

With Blackest Night, the dead
Justyn Rampa
I really really really liked this! Although after finishing the brilliance that is "Blackest Night" I expected to really enjoy this and it lived up to all my expectations!

This almost directly follows the conclusion of Blackest Night, so I won't reveal any spoilers here. However, while Blackest Night was mostly a clever story with really AWESOME moments and opportunities for ridiculously cool things to occur, "Brightest Day" is a bit more complex.

The storyline, the characters, everything is a bit
M
Boston Brand is back. The former spirit Deadman is now the sole bearer of the White Ring, and is tasked with a mission to help protect the world. Yet Brand is not alone, as others resurrected by the Entity are feeling their way back into the world of the living once again. Hawkman and Hawkgirl must break the cycle of death and resurrection to stop an invasion from Hawkworld. Aquaman must find the newest Aqualad before Black Manta, Martian Manhunter may have to burn down Star City's forest, Capta ...more
Caz Edmunds
As this is only Volume 1, Geoff clearly sets up the pieces to this big tapestry of sn event in thr DC Universe. Reading this had piqued my interest on the lives lived by Hawkman & Hawkgirl and prophecy that surrounds them.

Geoff's work on Green Lantern brought me back to rediscovering a childhood hero. With Volume 2 and Green Lantern: Brightest Day to be released this year, I'm excited to discover what surprises he may have for us. As Brightest Day follows the storyline of Blackest Night, it
Lisa
I think I keep getting in over my head on some of these books. The book could have been the most awesome book ever, but I don't really know some of the characters and even though I thought I was getting in on the beginning of a storyline, I find that I am knee deep in the extended story of a previous storyline. Once I started catching on to what was going on and learning a little more about the characters, I finally started getting into it.

The art was nice, the story moved well. Will read the n
Lindsey Stock
The art is really good, but the story never really gets better than just alright. In the wake of the near incomprehensible Blackest Night crossover event, several dead characters get returned back to life for about the bajillionth time. Seriously, does no one ever stay dead anymore? It was entertaining enough, but some of the plotlines left over from Blackest Night can be a bit confusing, so I wouldn't recommend it to casual readers. Hopefully this will be the end of major cross over stories for ...more
Dave
Damn Geoff now I have to get the other volumes because this story is so great!
Tyler
This was an epic story, really brilliant.

Well done, Geoff Johns, for bringing in obscure characters with whom I felt no connection or emotional investment and absolutely manipulating me into caring. This deftly deals with the traumatic events of Blackest Night while simultaneously raising a whole new set of terrifying and impossible to predict issues. What you think you know, you don't. What you think will happen, won't.

I loved this.
Lyall
Jun 13, 2012 Lyall added it
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes super heroes because you have to know a lot about them and their personalities and you also have to have read the book before this called darkest night to fully understand whats going on in the plot. As you might expect this book has a lot of action and the plot is good but hard to understand if you haven't read any other comics before it.
Steven
Oct 21, 2014 Steven rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: all
Not the best follow up for Blackest Night.
Fiannabear
Alex Sarll
There's a back cover quote praising the accessibility of this fairly unnecessary Blackest Night sequel. True up to a point in that, central mysteries aside, the unfolding story does explain what is going on fairly well. What it omits is why, unless you're already deeply invested in Hawkman et al, you should care.
Tom
Following Blackest Night was, of course, Brightest Day. I got these three for a third of the price each for my Kindle, so I was ahead on that to begin with.

Anyway, some of the plot lines were work better than others. The Martian Manhunter storyline is great, the Aquaman good, the others OK at best.
  • Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps, Vol. 1
  • Countdown to Final Crisis, Vol. 3
  • Blue Beetle, Volume 1: Shellshocked
  • Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint Featuring The Flash
  • JLA: A League of One
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990’s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career ...more
More about Geoff Johns...
Blackest Night Batman: Earth One Green Lantern: Rebirth Justice League, Vol. 1: Origin Infinite Crisis (DC Comics)