Start by marking “The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself” as Want to Read:
The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself

The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself

The Art of Doing Nothing
Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself

A culture of overachievers, we make things happen--and happen fast. While rushing along, though, the days seem to get shorter and shorter. If only time would hold still, just a little bit, to let us savor life's simplest moments. . . .
The Art of Doing Nothing will help to ease these beat-the-clock jitters. The st
Published August 25th 1998 by Potter Style

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Doing Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Doing Nothing

Stephanie
Jan 06, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My psychiatrist told me to read this book. I used it to pass the time on a two hour plane flight, and while I thought it was pleasant enough reading material I also found it a bit cutesy?

However, I've been finding that the ideas in this book have stuck with me. I've been living in the moment a bit more than I've been wont to do. This book doesn't posit a carpe diem approach to life in the way, say, movies would have you go about it. No admonitions here claiming you should go bungee jumping or y
Katie Herring
Aug 06, 2015 Katie Herring rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
When I first picked this up I thought: 'is this book for real?' But I got it anyway, as it amounted to being less than 25 cents.

This is a simple book for people who want to make their lives more simple. I am one of those people. In all honesty, stress and anxiety hit me more than it should. I try, I really do. This book was a push to try harder.

I'm going to try and get into yoga when I get back to school, and swim regularly. Exercise is always recommended (confirmed in this book) and is somethi
Kelly
Dec 17, 2011 Kelly added it
"A mysterious reflex, yawning seems to be connected with health: people who are acutely ill or severely psychotic hardly ever feel the need to wrench their faces open."

"Make believe it's Friday afternoon- just for a few minutes."

"Make room for mystery."

"The precious minutes, hours, or days we invest anticipating an event - the return of a friend, the birth of a child, the purchase of a house, the last chapter of a book - make everything more memorable. Take the time to wait. In doing so you are
Phair
Jan 26, 2010 Phair rated it really liked it
Given by a friend. Really enjoyed this quickly read little book. Very sensible advice on relaxation, meditation and being in the moment. Good hints and instruction for practical application as well as more philosophical and scientific discourse, Some nice humor, too. Just what I needed as mid winter takes its toll on my psyche.
Kivrin Engle
May 17, 2011 Kivrin Engle rated it liked it
I first read this book a few years ago, while staying in a summer resort cabin. Each of the cabins had a copy. At the time, I remember enjoying it and perhaps even doing one or two of the relaxation exercises. It had been a long time since I read it, so I picked it up during a recent library book sale. It may be the changes I've been through since first reading it, but I wasn't inspired at all by it this time around. It's a very simplistic book, really. It could be a series of articles for a "wo ...more
Jenn
Jun 18, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing
I read this book while on vacation in Hope Valley, CA. I liked that each chapter was short and focused on one thing (breathing, yawning, napping, waiting...) It was a perfect read for the hammocks at the Sierra resort we were staying. I especially liked the chapter on waiting because it gave me a present mindfulness and helped me enjoy our vacation. After reading it, I went back and looked at the pictures, taking the time to take each one in an reflect on them. It stretched out my evening adding ...more
Madonna Analla
Aug 02, 2015 Madonna Analla rated it it was amazing
This book calmed me down a lot and helped me appreciate the slow, simple way of moving through my day. It also gave me permission to lounge for a long time and procrastinate. Which I normally do but now I don't have the guilt associated with it. It also helped be more mindful while doing things like eating, drinking, showering, waiting. It is a quick read and one that I keep handy to review when things get hectic and I get stressed. It helps me refocus.
Samar Hankir
Feb 22, 2013 Samar Hankir rated it it was amazing
I have finally found the book of my dreams! "The art of doing nothing" is amazing, I love everything about it, how it has ideas, and fun ways to do things such as the whistling 101, it's fun to read and keeps your soul entertained with the all of the beautiful pictures. Honestly I think that if I'd ever have another favorite book it would be by Veronique Vienne and Erica Lennard, they did a wonderful job by just publishing "The art of doing nothing".

Marci Stone
Dec 18, 2016 Marci Stone rated it really liked it
This is an inspirational book about growing up, taking responsibility and living life to the fullest. It includes beautiful photographs, and descriptions about beginning your life, changing your life, choosing your life and knowing who you are and who you want to become. This would make a great gift.
Ben McC
May 09, 2012 Ben McC rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The topics covered in this book are often explained in fairly simplistic terms, and once in a while a little too much new-age silliness is tossed in. However, I would recommend that everyone read this book if only for the section on the art of napping. I read this book when I was 15 and in all honesty, the art of napping is something that I have used in my life, almost daily, ever since.
Christine Rowlands
Apr 21, 2013 Christine Rowlands rated it really liked it
Shelves: coffee-table
I found this book randomly in a secondhand bookstore, and it now lives on the shelf under my coffee table. Whenever I need to chill, I pull it out, read a chapter or so, and try to put its tips into action ... or nothingness. There's something about the writing style that calms me right down, and it always reminds me that the world looks pretty good from a reclining position.
Michael Robinson
May 25, 2013 Michael Robinson rated it it was amazing
In today's American cultural where multitasking and constant connectivity are chic and even expected, this book offers a subversive alternative. For the readers like me who are looking for the exit off today's fast paced highway of life, this book points the way to that exit.
Easy to read and delightfully relaxing. I can't recommend this book enough. I am reading it now for the second time.
Roxanne
Dec 09, 2013 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
I am certified to teach Doing Nothing at the graduate level, so I figured this little book would be a fluffy way of practicing my art. It turned out to have many flashes of brilliance - so much so that I jotted down many of the ideas. Clever turns of phrase, things I didn't know, peaceful photographs; it's the big picture in a tiny package.
Pranay
Jan 22, 2016 Pranay rated it really liked it
I sooooooo much loved this book, one that I will cherish for my life. Read it through a friend in US. Don't get it in India yet. Want it to be a part of my library - someday.

Read it. you will have no option but to fall in love with doing nothing. Oh and yes, the pictures are the best part!
Kyle
Jan 21, 2013 Kyle added it
It's all about the small pleasures, isn't it? And this books delves into those pleasures, mixing a zen artistry (which includes some beautiful photos) with a scientific justification for those of us who need a justification to do nothing. As if...

A quick and worthwhile read - I'm feeling more relaxed already.
LemontreeLime
This was not as good as Vienne's 'Art of Growing Up', which I felt was more lighthearted and profound as only good advice can be. This was nice, though. If you like her other books, then yes give this a read.
Margaret
Jun 29, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
A short, very picture-esque little treasure of a book. So many charming insights. "For us [English speakers] or [Americans?], the present moment is part of what is around the corner. Our grammar betrays the fact we feel that 'now' is only a prologue to more things to come."
Libraryassistant
Nov 08, 2012 Libraryassistant rated it liked it
Parts of this were delicious, other parts...not so much. Good reminders that our culture values being human doings when we should really live as human beings. Rather heavy on opinionated psycho-babble, though. The accompanying photos were evocative and dreamy.
Kathryn Dechairo
Apr 25, 2014 Kathryn Dechairo rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this read . . . maybe it's what I needed to hear.
Chris May
Jul 13, 2016 Chris May rated it did not like it
meh.
Erika Hoogesteger
May 11, 2013 Erika Hoogesteger rated it liked it
Simple reminders are sometimes very necessary.
E
Apr 06, 2007 E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read a short book
it's good to be reminded how to destress oneself. but this book isn't that good. maybe interesting if you're in the bathroom for like 3 minutes.
Denise
Oct 21, 2007 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
It's a cookie jar. Nibble. With wine. In the bathtub.

Taoist. Yogic. I'm going to make doing nothing my life's work.

As soon as I get some time off.
Brenda Cregor
Feb 20, 2010 Brenda Cregor rated it really liked it
Honestly, if every human being owned, read, and practiced the precepts presented within the pages of this literary cup of chamomile tea, therapists would have to find a new profession. Mm. Mm!
Jackie Gamber
Jul 23, 2010 Jackie Gamber rated it liked it
This is a quick read and a really artistic reminder that sometimes doing nothing is really something. Quite enjoyable.
Meagan Senesac
Sep 26, 2009 Meagan Senesac rated it it was ok
Wasn't bad... I was just hoping for a little bit more.
Royale
Jul 23, 2015 Royale rated it really liked it
A gorgeous book. A brief sometimes tongue in cheek treatise on the lost art of relaxation in today's world.
Lisa
Nov 27, 2007 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feel-good
This and the other two books I read by this author are just so simple and fun! Very elgant, and well put!
Gina
Apr 20, 2013 Gina rated it it was ok
I chose this book because the title states it will give you simple ways to make time for yourself when it actually reads more like a college text book. Boring.
Cherie Kephart
Nov 19, 2012 Cherie Kephart rated it really liked it
A beautiful book with a simple message; one that we all could use. Do less, be more.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicated book 3 9 Oct 31, 2016 03:14AM
  • The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year
  • Creating a Beautiful Home
  • Simply Irresistible: Unleash Your Inner Siren and Mesmerize Any Man, with Help from the Most Famous - and Infamous - Women in History
  • The Feminine Face of God: The Unfolding of the Sacred in Women
  • The Handy History Answer Book
  • Secrets of Simplicity
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day
  • Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal With People Who Try to Control You
  • The Love Spell: An Erotic Memoir of Spiritual Awakening
  • The Book for People Who Do Too Much
  • Drawing for the Artistically Undiscovered
  • The Last Resort
  • Hereditary Witchcraft: Secrets of the Old Religion
  • Dealing with the CrazyMakers in Your Life: Setting Boundaries on Unhealthy Relationships
  • Advanced Witchcraft: Go Deeper, Reach Further, Fly Higher