Start by marking “The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself” as Want to Read:
The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself

The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Art of Doing Nothing
Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself

A culture of overachievers, we make things happen--and happen fast. While rushing along, though, the days seem to get shorter and shorter. If only time would hold still, just a little bit, to let us savor life's simplest moments. . . .
The Art of Doing Nothing will help to ease these beat-the-clock jitters. The st
Published August 25th 1998 by Potter Style

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Doing Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Doing Nothing

Stephanie
My psychiatrist told me to read this book. I used it to pass the time on a two hour plane flight, and while I thought it was pleasant enough reading material I also found it a bit cutesy?

However, I've been finding that the ideas in this book have stuck with me. I've been living in the moment a bit more than I've been wont to do. This book doesn't posit a carpe diem approach to life in the way, say, movies would have you go about it. No admonitions here claiming you should go bungee jumping or y
Kelly
Dec 17, 2011 Kelly added it
"A mysterious reflex, yawning seems to be connected with health: people who are acutely ill or severely psychotic hardly ever feel the need to wrench their faces open."

"Make believe it's Friday afternoon- just for a few minutes."

"Make room for mystery."

"The precious minutes, hours, or days we invest anticipating an event - the return of a friend, the birth of a child, the purchase of a house, the last chapter of a book - make everything more memorable. Take the time to wait. In doing so you are
Phair
Given by a friend. Really enjoyed this quickly read little book. Very sensible advice on relaxation, meditation and being in the moment. Good hints and instruction for practical application as well as more philosophical and scientific discourse, Some nice humor, too. Just what I needed as mid winter takes its toll on my psyche.
Kivrin Engle
I first read this book a few years ago, while staying in a summer resort cabin. Each of the cabins had a copy. At the time, I remember enjoying it and perhaps even doing one or two of the relaxation exercises. It had been a long time since I read it, so I picked it up during a recent library book sale. It may be the changes I've been through since first reading it, but I wasn't inspired at all by it this time around. It's a very simplistic book, really. It could be a series of articles for a "wo ...more
Kathryn Dechairo
Really enjoyed this read . . . maybe it's what I needed to hear.
Tammy Schultz duletzke
Awesome little book of wisdom.
Samar Hankir
I have finally found the book of my dreams! "The art of doing nothing" is amazing, I love everything about it, how it has ideas, and fun ways to do things such as the whistling 101, it's fun to read and keeps your soul entertained with the all of the beautiful pictures. Honestly I think that if I'd ever have another favorite book it would be by Veronique Vienne and Erica Lennard, they did a wonderful job by just publishing "The art of doing nothing".

Ben McC
The topics covered in this book are often explained in fairly simplistic terms, and once in a while a little too much new-age silliness is tossed in. However, I would recommend that everyone read this book if only for the section on the art of napping. I read this book when I was 15 and in all honesty, the art of napping is something that I have used in my life, almost daily, ever since.
Michael Robinson
In today's American cultural where multitasking and constant connectivity are chic and even expected, this book offers a subversive alternative. For the readers like me who are looking for the exit off today's fast paced highway of life, this book points the way to that exit.
Easy to read and delightfully relaxing. I can't recommend this book enough. I am reading it now for the second time.
Christine Rowlands
I found this book randomly in a secondhand bookstore, and it now lives on the shelf under my coffee table. Whenever I need to chill, I pull it out, read a chapter or so, and try to put its tips into action ... or nothingness. There's something about the writing style that calms me right down, and it always reminds me that the world looks pretty good from a reclining position.
Roxanne
I am certified to teach Doing Nothing at the graduate level, so I figured this little book would be a fluffy way of practicing my art. It turned out to have many flashes of brilliance - so much so that I jotted down many of the ideas. Clever turns of phrase, things I didn't know, peaceful photographs; it's the big picture in a tiny package.
Kyle
Jan 21, 2013 Kyle added it
It's all about the small pleasures, isn't it? And this books delves into those pleasures, mixing a zen artistry (which includes some beautiful photos) with a scientific justification for those of us who need a justification to do nothing. As if...

A quick and worthwhile read - I'm feeling more relaxed already.
Margaret
A short, very picture-esque little treasure of a book. So many charming insights. "For us [English speakers] or [Americans?], the present moment is part of what is around the corner. Our grammar betrays the fact we feel that 'now' is only a prologue to more things to come."
Libraryassistant
Parts of this were delicious, other parts...not so much. Good reminders that our culture values being human doings when we should really live as human beings. Rather heavy on opinionated psycho-babble, though. The accompanying photos were evocative and dreamy.
LemontreeLime
This was not as good as Vienne's 'Art of Growing Up', which I felt was more lighthearted and profound as only good advice can be. This was nice, though. If you like her other books, then yes give this a read.
Brenda Cregor
Honestly, if every human being owned, read, and practiced the precepts presented within the pages of this literary cup of chamomile tea, therapists would have to find a new profession. Mm. Mm!
Pam Herrmann
My favorite line from the book - "Not saying anything when you have nothing to say will always prove wise."
A quick read to help remind you that there is nothing wrong with doing nothing.
Dafne
Lo máximo, especialmente por la mención a CARPE DIEM en su inicio. Excelentes fotografías. Mejores reflexiones. Un pequeño libro para un magnífico rato
Gina
I chose this book because the title states it will give you simple ways to make time for yourself when it actually reads more like a college text book. Boring.
Denise
It's a cookie jar. Nibble. With wine. In the bathtub.

Taoist. Yogic. I'm going to make doing nothing my life's work.

As soon as I get some time off.
E
Apr 08, 2007 E rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read a short book
it's good to be reminded how to destress oneself. but this book isn't that good. maybe interesting if you're in the bathroom for like 3 minutes.
Kristin
Relaxing, helps with the stress relief. Gorgeous photos. Quick read. Another coffee table cook I decided to read cover to cover.
Jackie Gamber
This is a quick read and a really artistic reminder that sometimes doing nothing is really something. Quite enjoyable.
Lisa
This and the other two books I read by this author are just so simple and fun! Very elgant, and well put!
Cherie Kephart
A beautiful book with a simple message; one that we all could use. Do less, be more.
W. Mark
Excellent book for just passing the time with your lover lying next to you!
Ashley
A nice reminder to slow down and enjoy life as it comes.
Meagan Senesac
Wasn't bad... I was just hoping for a little bit more.
Erika Hoogesteger
Simple reminders are sometimes very necessary.
G0rd0
My favorite thing to do.
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Inspiration Sandwich: Stories to Inspire Our Creative Freedom
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • Creating a Beautiful Home
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Baghdad Burning II: More Girl Blog from Iraq
  • Classical Music: The 50 Greatest Composers and Their 1,000 Greatest Works
  • The Paris Review Book for Planes, Trains, Elevators, and Waiting Rooms
  • The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love
  • Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Pagan Ways: Finding Your Spirituality in Nature
  • Original Self: Living with Paradox and Originality
The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself The Art of Being a Woman: A Simple Guide to Everyday Love and Laughter Chip Kidd The Art of Growing Up: Simple Ways to Be Yourself at Last Citizen Designer: Perspectives on Design Responsibility