Start by marking “L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1: Jean De Florette” as Want to Read:
L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1:  Jean De Florette

L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1: Jean De Florette (L'eau des collines #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  962 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Défraichi, visuel différentmais sinon ok.Expédition rapide de votre commande avec protection soignée de vos articles.Professionnel de la vente à distance.Professionnal on e-business.Fast delivery of your order.Item very well packed.(réf 40)
Mass Market Paperback, 312 pages
Published September 9th 1998 by Pocket (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayTime To Let Go by Christoph FischerA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Tempest by William ShakespeareThe Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Books About Old People
172nd out of 290 books — 107 voters
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingCarrie by Stephen KingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Bullying
158th out of 205 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
You won't find any fancy stuff in a Marcel Pagnol story. He'll simply draw you into the place where he wants you taken, makes his characters alive before your very eyes, and then leads you to believe that like you he also does not know what will happen next or how the whole thing will end. When the tale finally did end here, there was an uncontrollable feeling of outrage. A great injustice has been done! And no one would doubt here that there'll be a much-awaited sequel.

Marcel Pagnol was not onl
Ivan
Ce livre vous fait prendre une pause bienvenue, surtout si vous avez passé une bonne partie de votre enfance dans les monts et des villages du Var où se déroule le drame. On peut comprendre pourquoi le vallon fertile attire tant ces paysans, mais on ne peut pas leur pardonner le double jeu qu'ils mènent...
Christopher
Jun 28, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, french
Wow, over a year to finish this one. I lost my first copy when I moved apartments and just recently acquired a replacement. So heartachingly good. Makes me want to move to Boulder, Utah to raise goats in the hills.
Tricia Rose
Sep 11, 2012 Tricia Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear, I give everything five stars! (because I only finish books I love).

I read this in French, with a dictionary, and slowing down like that so deepened my enjoyment. Watched the film at the end as a treat.
Francois
Oct 05, 2015 Francois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was an entertaining read during a long flight between Poland and Canada.
Andrea Bellinghausen-rarey
my summer is not complete without having read Jean de Florette and Manon des sources, so I've read both countless times both in French and in German and still love them to pieces. vivid descriptions and colorful characters evoke pictures in my mind and I can smell Provence and feel its sun burning. this is perfect literature.
Claire
Apr 13, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just wonderful. A tragic, absorbing and sensuous tale woven into the French countryside. Just a brilliant brilliant story that has really left an impression on me.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in Arles, in a perfect bookshop/coffee place/music store/cinema combination (in my next life I will work there!). I started reading it at night, while still on vacation in Provence. The language, the characters, the drama, the hardship, all of it is so deeply connected to the hilly, dry and beautiful countryside. But you don't have to be in love with France to like this novel. The story itself is universal, and the characters come alive and make you suffer with them. In the en ...more
Holly
Aug 28, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite French authors. Pagnol's writing is so clear you really get a sense of 'provence' through his eyes. An unforgetable story.
Arthur Canin
Apr 17, 2015 Arthur Canin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un chef-d'œuvre de la littérature française! Une grande œuvre d'un grand écrivain peu ou pas assez reconnu..
Heidi
Dec 06, 2015 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novel that revolves around a tiny Provencal village and a farmer determined to wrestle a living out of a dilapidated farm, a farm that holds much promise. It is a novel that features lifestyles both simplistic and harsh, as drought and set-backs continue to thwart the farmer. We feel great sympathy for the farmer's plight and his charming family and we crave justice for Jean. This is the first of a series of stories, The Water of the Hills, and reading this novel will inspire you to re ...more
Czarny Pies
Sep 13, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who saw the movie and liked it.
Recommended to Czarny by: Ray Smith
Shelves: french-lit
Jean de Florette is a novelized version of the first half of Manon des Sources a film that the author had made ten years earlier in 1952. Just like the movie, the novel is a stylistic masterpiece. Nothing is redundant. Every paragraph plays a vital part in the work. The plot is very tightly stitched together and the actions of all the characters are perfectly coherent.

Of course, one should read for the pleasure not to admire the writer's impeccable style. Jean de Florette is indeed a pleasure of
Marc
Aug 05, 2012 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absoluut een mooi, goed verteld verhaal. Twee hoofdfiguren: de impressionante en tragische figuur van Jean, een stadsman die uit de boeken denkt te weten hoe hij het paradijs op aarde kan creëren en daar bijna in lijkt te slagen; en de weifelachtige Ugolin, die gedreven door hebzucht en een beenharde, cynische oom, Jean ten gronde richt, maar daar tegelijk erg onder lijdt. Met andere woorden: de thema's van de onmacht van het modernisme, en de strijd tussen hebzucht en geweten. Prachtig verteld, ...more
Corey
Apr 30, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful novel, essentially a tragedy but told with sly wit and warm humor. Great movie, great book.
Stephanie Cullen
Beautiful and sad story, easily my favourite French novel.
Hanna Douaud
Pakko lukea uudelleen, koska en ymmärtänyt juuri mitään lukemastani
Serenella
Dec 15, 2010 Serenella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
I love Marcel Pagnol and his books! Their simplicity and sometimes their innocence are absolutely arresting. Although I enjoyed his Souvenirs d'enfance more, this was also pretty good. The only reason I'm not giving it four stars is that I thought there were parts where it dragged a bit, but I doubt any other author could ever keep me interested in a story about trying to find water! I will read Manon des sources for sure!
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-1962
Theme tune (think Stella Artois) http://youtu.be/KFNt8XYR4Yo
Lynne
Jul 22, 2013 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meant to read this years ago. Typically Gallic gloom, and a pleasantly unsympathetic depiction of the antagonists who, apparently get their (deserved) comeuppance in Manon des Sources. Surprisingly quick to read and a definite homage to the peasant rural way of life.
Brian Crawford
Dec 22, 2013 Brian Crawford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not high literature, but definitely an excellent character study. Pagnol does an excellent job of developing his characters' backgrounds to create a powerful emotional conflict.
Imogen
Oct 18, 2014 Imogen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to which I return often. I enjoy Pagnol, and this is my favourite of him. The characters and the detail are perfect. The cruel and tragic actions driven by great and envy...lessons for all.
Erin
Feb 10, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book (in French)when I was eighteen. I am not sure if I understood it all since I am getting much more out of the reading now. The saga is perfect in its scope and subject.
Jeaneane
Feb 11, 2011 Jeaneane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story-reached me on so many different levels. Thanks Elaine for suggesting it and Julie for buying it for me!
Malee
Feb 07, 2011 Malee added it
සිංහල පරිවරතනය කඳුරැලලේ දියදහර ලෙසින 1993දී ආචාරය එලිසබෙත බොපේආරචචි විසින සිංහල පාඨකයාට හදුනවා දී ඇත. ...more
Elisabeth
Le soleil de Provence, la lutte entre voisins pour la source d'eau. La cupidité peut aller très loin.
3/5
Victoria
Sep 02, 2013 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
like the other Pagnol books I've read, fresh and easy to read. Light holiday/beach reading
ChristinaJL
Feb 12, 2011 ChristinaJL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
I read this when I was studying French at school, really enjoyed the story.
Eightyeightkeys
Que les voisins ne sont pas toujours gentils!
Olivia
Aug 13, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1960
A wonderfully atmospheric book
  • Le Lion
  • Colline
  • Le diable en rit encore, 1944-1945 (La bicyclette bleue, #3)
  • Les Femmes savantes
  • Lettres de mon moulin
  • Poil de Carotte
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • La symphonie pastorale
  • La Guerre des Loups (La Moïra, #2)
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo II
  • Chroniques de la haine ordinaire I
  • Vipère au poing
  • Ceux qui vont mourir te saluent
  • Contes de la Bécasse
  • The Dragon at Noonday (Brothers of Gwynedd, #2)
  • Un sac de billes
  • Claudine's House
Marcel Pagnol was a French novelist, playwright, and filmmaker. In 1946, he became the first filmmaker elected to the Académie Française.
More about Marcel Pagnol...

L'eau des collines (2 books)
  • Manon des Sources