Start by marking “L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1: Jean De Florette” as Want to Read:
L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1:  Jean De Florette

L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1: Jean De Florette (L'eau des collines #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Défraichi, visuel différentmais sinon ok.Expédition rapide de votre commande avec protection soignée de vos articles.Professionnel de la vente à distance.Professionnal on e-business.Fast delivery of your order.Item very well packed.(réf 40)
Mass Market Paperback, 312 pages
Published September 9th 1998 by Pocket (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'eau Des Collines, Tome 1

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayTime To Let Go by Christoph FischerA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Tempest by William ShakespeareThe Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Books About Old People
160th out of 280 books — 100 voters
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingCarrie by Stephen KingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
159th out of 206 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
You won't find any fancy stuff in a Marcel Pagnol story. He'll simply draw you into the place where he wants you taken, makes his characters alive before your very eyes, and then leads you to believe that like you he also does not know what will happen next or how the whole thing will end. When the tale finally did end here, there was an uncontrollable feeling of outrage. A great injustice has been done! And no one would doubt here that there'll be a much-awaited sequel.

Marcel Pagnol was not onl
Ce livre vous fait prendre une pause bienvenue, surtout si vous avez passé une bonne partie de votre enfance dans les monts et des villages du Var où se déroule le drame. On peut comprendre pourquoi le vallon fertile attire tant ces paysans, mais on ne peut pas leur pardonner le double jeu qu'ils mènent...
Wow, over a year to finish this one. I lost my first copy when I moved apartments and just recently acquired a replacement. So heartachingly good. Makes me want to move to Boulder, Utah to raise goats in the hills.
Tricia Rose
Oh dear, I give everything five stars! (because I only finish books I love).

I read this in French, with a dictionary, and slowing down like that so deepened my enjoyment. Watched the film at the end as a treat.
Was an entertaining read during a long flight between Poland and Canada.
Andrea Bellinghausen-rarey
my summer is not complete without having read Jean de Florette and Manon des sources, so I've read both countless times both in French and in German and still love them to pieces. vivid descriptions and colorful characters evoke pictures in my mind and I can smell Provence and feel its sun burning. this is perfect literature.
One of my favorite French authors. Pagnol's writing is so clear you really get a sense of 'provence' through his eyes. An unforgetable story.
Czarny Pies
Sep 13, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who saw the movie and liked it.
Recommended to Czarny by: Ray Smith
Shelves: french-lit
Jean de Florette is a novelized version of the first half of Manon des Sources a film that the author had made ten years earlier in 1952. Just like the movie, the novel is a stylistic masterpiece. Nothing is redundant. Every paragraph plays a vital part in the work. The plot is very tightly stitched together and the actions of all the characters are perfectly coherent.

Of course, one should read for the pleasure not to admire the writer's impeccable style. Jean de Florette is indeed a pleasure of
Absoluut een mooi, goed verteld verhaal. Twee hoofdfiguren: de impressionante en tragische figuur van Jean, een stadsman die uit de boeken denkt te weten hoe hij het paradijs op aarde kan creëren en daar bijna in lijkt te slagen; en de weifelachtige Ugolin, die gedreven door hebzucht en een beenharde, cynische oom, Jean ten gronde richt, maar daar tegelijk erg onder lijdt. Met andere woorden: de thema's van de onmacht van het modernisme, en de strijd tussen hebzucht en geweten. Prachtig verteld, ...more
A delightful novel, essentially a tragedy but told with sly wit and warm humor. Great movie, great book.
Stephanie Cullen
Beautiful and sad story, easily my favourite French novel.
I love Marcel Pagnol and his books! Their simplicity and sometimes their innocence are absolutely arresting. Although I enjoyed his Souvenirs d'enfance more, this was also pretty good. The only reason I'm not giving it four stars is that I thought there were parts where it dragged a bit, but I doubt any other author could ever keep me interested in a story about trying to find water! I will read Manon des sources for sure!
Meant to read this years ago. Typically Gallic gloom, and a pleasantly unsympathetic depiction of the antagonists who, apparently get their (deserved) comeuppance in Manon des Sources. Surprisingly quick to read and a definite homage to the peasant rural way of life.
Brian Crawford
Not high literature, but definitely an excellent character study. Pagnol does an excellent job of developing his characters' backgrounds to create a powerful emotional conflict.
This is a book to which I return often. I enjoy Pagnol, and this is my favourite of him. The characters and the detail are perfect. The cruel and tragic actions driven by great and envy...lessons for all.
I first read this book (in French)when I was eighteen. I am not sure if I understood it all since I am getting much more out of the reading now. The saga is perfect in its scope and subject.
Just wonderful. A tragic, absorbing and sensuous tale woven into the French countryside. Just a brilliant brilliant story that has really left an impression on me.
I loved this story-reached me on so many different levels. Thanks Elaine for suggesting it and Julie for buying it for me!
Arthur Canin
Un chef-d'œuvre de la littérature française! Une grande œuvre d'un grand écrivain peu ou pas assez reconnu..
Feb 07, 2011 Malee added it
සිංහල පරිවරතනය කඳුරැලලේ දියදහර ලෙසින 1993දී ආචාරය එලිසබෙත බොපේආරචචි විසින සිංහල පාඨකයාට හදුනවා දී ඇත. ...more
Le soleil de Provence, la lutte entre voisins pour la source d'eau. La cupidité peut aller très loin.
like the other Pagnol books I've read, fresh and easy to read. Light holiday/beach reading
I read this when I was studying French at school, really enjoyed the story.
Que les voisins ne sont pas toujours gentils!
A wonderfully atmospheric book
Simply love this book.
Sunny marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
  • Le Lion
  • Poil de Carotte
  • Thérèse Desqueyroux
  • Les Femmes savantes
  • Regain
  • Lettres de mon moulin
  • La bicyclette bleue, 1939-1942 (La bicyclette bleue, #1)
  • Les Rois Maudits (Les Rois Maudits #1-7)
  • Vipère au poing
  • Contes de la Bécasse
  • La Guerre des Loups (La Moïra, #2)
  • La symphonie pastorale
  • Un sac de billes
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I
  • Carmen and Other Stories
  • Claudine's House
  • The Sea Wall
Marcel Pagnol was a French novelist, playwright, and filmmaker. In 1946, he became the first filmmaker elected to the Académie Française.
More about Marcel Pagnol...

L'eau des collines (2 books)
  • Manon des Sources