Batman/Captain America

Batman/Captain America (Batman)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  12 reviews
/John Byrne As World War II rages on, Batman and Captain America, along with their teenaged sidekicks Robin and Bucky, must become allies to combat the villainy of their greatest foes, the Joker and the Red Skull. This fun, fast paced tale is co-published with Marvel Comics and is drawn in a style reminiscent of the 1940s Golden Age of
Published January 1st 1997 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman/Captain America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman/Captain America

Robin
Well, this was fabulous.

I don't read a lot of comic books, which should be obvious from my collection, because I have about three.

I see that I have been remiss.

So, I follow someone on tumblr that talks about comic books past and present, and does a pretty good job of trying to get everyone else up to speed. I think she works in a comic book shop in Asheville, so definitely check that out. I digress. She mentioned this Batman & Captain America in reference to something else in the DC/Marvel...more
Paul Griggs
John Byrne imagines a golden age tale where the Dark Knight detective and America's greatest soldier work together to thwart the evil wartime schemes of the Joker and the Red Skull. It was a different age when Bruce Wayne smiled and the adventures suffused with a sense of fun and adventure. Some great moments, especially when they trade boy sidekicks temporarily.
Callie Rose Tyler
This is a fun comic with the feel of a throwback. Taking place in the 1940's during WWII we get a Red Skull/Joker team up to take on the Bat and Bird with Cap and Bucky. There are some amazingly wonderful lines and just enough camp to give it that vintage Golden Age feel. The only part that left me scratching my head was the epilogue, it is tacked on as an afterthought and completely disregards continuity within both the Marvel and DC universes, completely and totally unnecessary.

I would by no...more
Paul
Old-fashioned retro fun from John Byrne. This isn't high art, as Byrne mostly gives the fans what they'd want in such a crossover. Set during World War II, this features the all-business Nazi-smashing Captain America teaming up with a surprisingly smiley Batman to take on--who else?--the team of The Joker and the Red Skull (with the obligatory fight stemming from a misunderstanding inserted for good measure). It would be wholly by-the-numbers if not for the real sense of affection that Byrne bri...more
Alexander
A fun read from John Byrne in the style of 1940s comic art. Really enjoyed both the artwork and the writing here. If you read and enjoyed "Batman/Superman: Generations", then you should also very much enjoy this story. Highly recommend both.
Boots
dreadful from start to finish: story, art, and all. its only saving grace was just how short it was ~ otherwise i think it's an unreadable disservice to batman and captain america both with the joker and the red skull playing camp as the worst villain team up since the bizarros got together back in the 50s (and frankly that was at least hilariously fun).

if you absolutely must read this, please be sure to especially enjoy the absurd image of captain america awkwardly flying at a perfect horizont...more
Travis
A great Alternate earth story that reads like a really good Golden Age comic as Captain America and Batman team up to stop the Joker and Red Skull.

No modernizing, no attempts to make things realistic, none of that foolishness.
This is pure 'Wouldn't it be cool if...?' that you can feel the love in as Byrne pulls out all the stops. Great writing, beautiful art and just a lot of fun.

Angela
A bit of fun. Set in the 1940s, Batman and Captain America take on the Red Skull and Joker. It works really well, because that Batman is very similiar to Captain America.
Juan Jose
This is great art, great coloring, and the beginnings of the Generations Universe.
S
Jul 25, 2012 S rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Pretty enjoyable Golden Age style pulp, set in the Forties.
PJ Ebbrell
OK, it is a team up and an enjoyable romp from Byrne.
Chris
Worth reading.
Dddd
Dddd added it
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Shayan Alam
Shayan Alam marked it as to-read
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Devero
Devero marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Daken Howlett
Daken Howlett marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rick Hunter
Rick Hunter marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Ryan Pradecta
Ryan Pradecta marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Anne Ritchie
Anne Ritchie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
John Lindley Byrne is a British-born Canadian-American author and artist of comic books. Since the mid-1970s, Byrne has worked on nearly every major American superhero.

Byrne's better-known work has been on Marvel Comics' X-Men and Fantastic Four and the 1986 relaunch of DC Comics’ Superman franchise. Coming into the comics profession exclusively as a penciler, Byrne began co-plotting the X-Men com...more
More about John Byrne...
Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1 Superman & Batman: Generations, An Imaginary Tale (Elseworlds) Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 1 Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 2 Superman (1987-2006) #1

“I may be a criminal lunatic, but I'm an AMERICAN criminal lunatic!” 2 likes