Start by marking “Rhyme Stew” as Want to Read:
Rhyme Stew

Rhyme Stew

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  569 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
An irresistible, hilarious collection of ribald rhymes featuring characters from fairy tales, fables and nursery rhymes including ‘Dick Whittington and his Cat’, ‘The Emperor’s New Clothes’ and ‘Hansel and Gretel’. The perfect treat for Dahl fans tall and small. ‘There is no end to the Dahl invention, and this will join all the other cherished favourites. Quentin Blake is ...more
Published October 25th 1990 by Puffin (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Rhyme Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhyme Stew

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Hiawyn OramLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlRamona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Books for eight-year-old children
194th out of 558 books — 574 voters
The Ordinary Princess by M.M. KayeGolden by Cameron DokeyDeathless by Catherynne M. ValenteBeauty Sleep by Cameron DokeyThe Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey
Fairy Tale Retellings: Hidden Gems
432nd out of 439 books — 795 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna Kļaviņa
Hey Diddle Diddle
Mary, Mary
Hansel and Gretel
Aladdin and the Magic Lamp

Dahl didn't shy away from horror and violence in his stories for children, and in this collection of retold fairy tales he references to: sexual harassment (A Hand in the Bird, Physical Training, H
Hunter
Apr 13, 2012 Hunter rated it it was amazing
Review by my nine year old daughter:

This book is part of the reading challenge at my school. This book’s category is poetry.

The very famous author Roald Dahl wrote Rhyme Stew. Quentin Blake illustrated it.Roald Dahl is one of my all-time favourite authors. I’ve read just about all his books like ‘Matilda’, ‘BFG’, ‘Witches’, and his boyhood autobiology. And all the rest.

This book is full of hilarious rhymes. Roald Dahl has taken some well known fairy tales and made them rhyme as well as changing
Akhfhin Rahardhiyanto
rated 3 / 5 stars

Synopsis:
An illustrated collection of fifteen parodies ranging from skewered nursery rhymes to epic slapstick sagas.

Review:
I've never really enjoyed a book containing short stories but this one would probably be the one I like more than others. Rhyme Stew contains fifteen parodies of original short stories we know and love. This is my first book by Roald Dahl and I can say that it wasn't a disappointment. Mr. Dahl has such a wild imagination when it comes to his stories.

My favo
Nicole
Nov 24, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Rhyme Stew is a collection of poems by Roald Dahl who has used a range of classic childrens stories and transformed them into short rhymes. Such rhymes include the Emporors new clothes, Hansel and Gretel and the Hare and the Tortoise amongst many more. I enjoyed reading these rhymes because they tell a story whilst still keeping the reader interested. I particularly enjoyed reading the rhyme based on the hare and the tortoise childrens story. Although it has some similarities to the original sto ...more
Rachel
Sep 06, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
Another fabulous quirky book written by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake. This book contains fifteen hysterically written, rhyming poems. Roald Dahl has stamped his unique style and humor within each poem to create a lighthearted read whilst still enabling learning from each poem.

Roald Dahl summaries previous told tales such as "The Hare and the Tortoise" and "Hanzel and Gretel" creating perfectly rhyming, funny poems although some of the subject matters in the poems may be slightly a
Rumput Bergoyang
Rhyme Stew merupakan kumpulan cerita (sebagian besar) berima dan dengan panjang variatif. Bahkan sebagian mengategorikannya sebagai poetry. Di bukunya ditulis buat teenage fiction, sih, memang ada beberapa yang nggak cocok buat anak-anak. Quentin Blake sebagai ilustrator juga berhasil menggambarkan cerita dengan bagus. Saya familier dengan gambarnya karena buku Roald Dahl sebelumnya yang The Witches pun ilustratornya dia. Jadi ini adalah buku kedua Roald Dahl yang saya baca, yay!

Seperti biasa, R
Cruth
Author: Roald Dahl
Illustrator: Quentin Blake
First published: 1989

A poetry collection with Dahl's nonsensical humour, taking well known children's fables, fairy tales and nursery rhymes, and twisting them. They often include an "adult" twist.

(Because the commentary on this book suggests more adult concepts, I bought a kindle version for myself, and did not intend to read it aloud to the ankle-biter. I have since read a few selected poems to her).

The kindle version is well formatted and includes a
Jennie
Mar 24, 2015 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Rhyme Stew is a collection of poems by Roald Dahl with illustrations by Quentin Blake. The poems are humorous and imaginative.
The poems are based around a selection of children's stories. This is a great book to introduce children to poems and rhyme in different forms and how they can be created from stories. It will be a great resource when I am teaching my own class, especially in KS1/KS2.

Adinda
Nov 06, 2015 Adinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kinderboeken
Een hilarische Dahl weer, met een aantal korte gedichtjes en een aantal varianten op bekende sprookjes. Ik denk alleen dat ik dit specifieke boekje toch liever in het Engels zou lezen: sommige woordgrappen zijn heel goed gevonden, waardoor ik me afvraag wat het origineel was, maar ook lopen de versregels vanwege de rijm soms niet helemaal lekker.
Shreya Shreya
Nov 25, 2014 Shreya Shreya rated it it was amazing
Rhyme Stew might be labeled as a children's book, but this book is entertaining to people from all walks of life. there are morals and there are evil twists and every work shows the unprecedented level of imagination Dahl had.

Poetry, to all those who believe need to rhyme, will have a perfect time reading it!
Bussaracum Chuenchomlada
Apr 23, 2014 Bussaracum Chuenchomlada rated it really liked it
Quick and thoroughly enjoyable read. These are poems whose rhymes are both crisp and smooth and funny. Some are a twisted take on a well known fairy tale, some are short poem with a punchline, some can be pretty naughty ( depending on how dirty your mind is). Standard Roald Dahl.
whiskybaker
May 20, 2014 whiskybaker rated it really liked it
Toby loves Roald Dahl so we have a bunch of his books. I didn't notice the note on the front cover "warning unsuitable for small readers." Needless to say Q loves it! Sigh. It's true Dahl but not entirely appropriate for toddlers.
Gwen
Feb 28, 2014 Gwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not meant for the exact same audience as other Dahl books. I though the "Warning" on the front was a joke within the picture -- it's not. Great fun rhymes, but some of the ideas/topics in them aren't for young kids.
Nov 08, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny as 'revolting rhymes' but still a great read. My favourites were 'The emperor's new clothes' and 'Ali Baba and the forty thieves'.
Opat
May 17, 2015 Opat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Kadang-kadang suka mikir, buku ini proper atau nggak buat anak-anak. LOl.

Soal imajinasi dan rima? Nggak usah ditanya lah ya.
Mark Kariuki
Apr 10, 2015 Mark Kariuki rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it made me think in Rhyme. I intend to use that state of mind in my side career as a rapper
Molly
May 05, 2014 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014-reads
Rene Ijzermans
Jul 31, 2015 Rene Ijzermans rated it did not like it
Wat een afknapper, deze rijmelarij van Dahl. Ontstijgt niet eens het niveau van Sinterklaasversjes.
Indah Threez Lestari
711 - 2013

Plesetan dongeng berima-nya Mr Dahl kali ini termasuk cerita Dick Whittington dan kucingnya, Baju Baru Sang Kaisar, Ali Baba, Hansel-Gretel, dan Aladdin.

Kadang-kadang masih ada jejak cerita asli dalam sajak-sajaknya Mr Dahl ini, tapi lebih sering sih ceritanya menyimpang jauh banget.

Ali Baba yang menggunakan kata ajaib Open Sesame untuk membuka semua pintu kamar di Hotel Ritz? Aladdin yang minta dijadikan jin dan membantu seniman seperti Shakespeare dan Mozart?

If you're the djinn then
Laura Clode
Mar 13, 2014 Laura Clode rated it it was amazing
Ingeniously written a fantastic read for adults children one and all
Wayne Farmer
Aug 28, 2014 Wayne Farmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roald-dahl, poetry
Definitely not a book for the kids - this is quite shocking and un-pc in its naughty rhymes, but very funny with it!
Anne
May 19, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fun and lotsa laughs! :D
Mai
Mar 25, 2014 Mai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, funny, kids
Delightfully funny and so rhyming,luved it.
Holly Martin
Jan 21, 2012 Holly Martin rated it liked it
This collection of rhymes by Roald Dahl is suitable for the older reader, he puts a twist on some of the traditional tales such as Aladdin and Hansel and Grettel. The rhymes included are quite humerous which children will find entertaining and also a great way to get children interested in poetry. This is another good book to introduce to children when teaching poetry.Also a nice book to read to children at the end of the day as it is light-hearted and fun.
Michelle
Oct 02, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I first came across Rhyme Stew when I was in year 2. I chose the longest poem in the book (by my count then, it was the Tortoise and the Hare) to present to my class for an assignment.
Over 13 years later, I still relish all of these poems - with a lot more insight into what they mean now than then (as with many of his other books!) despite immensely enjoying it at the time
A testament to the diversity Roald Dahl's appeal!
Leila Anani
Oct 08, 2013 Leila Anani rated it really liked it
After Matilda I think Rhyme Stew was my favourite Roald Dahl as a child. Revisiting it as an adult its actually quite risque in parts, but still bitingly funny. Retold in rhyme we have Dick Whittington, The Hare and the Tortoise, the Emperor's New Clothes, Ali Baba, Aladdin and Hansel and Gretel as you've never seen them before.

Tremendous fun even now.
April
Mar 02, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Brigitte
Dec 07, 2015 Brigitte rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bovenbouw
Het is grappig dat deze verhalen op rijm zijn. Vooral bekende verhalen maar dan anders. Ik denk dat het vertalen moeilijk is geweest, want ik moest aan mijn eigen Sinterklaasgedichten denken. Leuk om een verhaal hieruit te gebruiken bij een poëzieles.
Vanaf groep 6.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
What a hilarious read! I just *love* Roald Dahl and his wicked rhymes:-) I enjoyed all rhymes but I think my favourites were "Dick Whittington and His Cat", "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "Hansel and Gretel" (especially the comments about the Brothers Grimm!).
Mae
Jan 10, 2016 Mae rated it it was amazing
Rhyme Stew doesn't really have a story. It's basically a book made up of rhymes, but the rhymes are all funny and creative, like all of the other books Roald Dahl has created. He was an amazing and creative writer.
  • Les amants papillons
  • Works of Alexander Pope
  • The Cat on the Mat Is Flat
  • Tibet: Through the Red Box
  • The Nation's Favourite: Poems

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...