Start by marking “The Night Caller” as Want to Read:
The Night Caller

The Night Caller (Night #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Young, Beautiful...And DeadWhen he stumbles across his only daughter's corpse in a deserted beachfront bungalow, devastated Ezekiel Cooper vows to find her murderer. What the former NYPD detective doesn't know is that there have been other victims. Women in Queens, Sarasota, Seattle. Women who seemingly had nothing in common, aside from a grisly fate at the hands of a chil ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Pinnacle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Night Caller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Caller

Ed
Well-done, entertaining thriller set in Gotham featuring a serial killer with an unusual twist. Coop is a retired loo and a cancer survivor. His daughter Bette has been murdered, and Coop is in the thick of the her homicide investigation. Violence isn't too gory. Coop enjoys a romance along the way. Bottom line: I'll read more of Mr. Lutz's thrillers.
Blood Rose Books
John Lutz is a well known for his suspense fiction and in the Night Caller, when a former police officer is the one to discover his daughter dead:

Ezekiel Cooper, Coop to everyone, is a former NYPD detective who is about to be pulled into the hunt of his life. His daughter has been murder and he is determined to find who is responsible. He never thought that he would find himself paired with a novelist who is attempting to make a name for herself in True Crime, but Dani has connections that even
Shawnee Bowlin
John Lutz takes his readers through a life of agony that gradually learns to rebuild. The life is that of Ezekiel Cooper, the former NYPD detective who struggled through cancer, divorce, and the death of his daughter.
Coops' journey leads him to Cara Callahan. Cara is brave enough to lure her sister's killer, also the killer of Coop's daughter, into his own destruction.
In the process, Coop finds life still has blessings as Cara becomes his new reason to live and enjoy.
I enjoyed the way John Lutz
Tony
John Lutz- The Night Caller (2001) 3.75 Stars

Ex-NYPD detective Coop is in remission, but he just found that his daughter has been murdered. As he digs into it, he pairs up with a mystery writer, Deni, who is trying to be taken more seriously by going into nonfiction. Together they come to realize that this may be the work of a serial killer. As things heat up they have to wonder who will be coming out this investigation alive.

I wasn’t impressed with the last Lutz read, so I went into this thinki
Trudy
An ex-cop, Coop, teams up with a mystery writer, Deni, to investigate the death of his daughter for a true crime book thought to revitalize her waning career. Deni attributes the death of Coop's daughter and several others to a yet undiscovered serial killer. A killer so crafty that he changes the rules for what law enforcement expect of a serial killer to avoid being detected. Throw in a bitter ex-wife, a greiving sister holding herself out as bait and a "determined" editor and you have an ente ...more
Frank
A library mp3, meaning if I listened to the end I should give it a 3 rating. But. The female characters, especially the detective's ex-wife and the crime novelist, were so self involved and resistant to reason, I down rated it. For that matter, the detective's love interest also didn't listen to advice and did dumb things. Plus, the interior monologues of the serial killer were unpleasant and the killer's murders or women distasteful. Plus plus [is this a spoiler?] the clues to the killer don't ...more
Farhan
Though formulaic but still a good read about a cop with a tragic past who is trying to apprehend a serial killer whose victims are so diverse that police does not even believe that they were killed by the same man.
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Tracy
I listened to the audio version of this book, at times it held my attention but it just didn't have the oomph to stop my mind from wandering away. 2.5 stars.
MountainShelby
+Possible mild spoiler.+ I listened to the Audio version--10 CDs with an excellent narrator. The book was quite compelling--I was actually frustrated when reality took me away from it--until the presentation of the murderer. From that point on, my interest waned. My interest was almost lost listening to the explanation of the murderer's background, motivation, etc.--every detail seemed so contrived. Overall, The Night Caller on Audio was a good listening experience, but not a book I would immedi ...more
Lea
This was another really disturbing and scary book. I know I wouldn't read it again. Not because it was bad but because John Lutz really knows how to capture the mind of a killer. I wanted to scream sometimes as I was reading this. If your all for the scary-I-may-not-sleep tonight kind of book. This one is for you.
Miss-lilly
Super, klasická detektivka. :-)
Trošku tlusčí knížka, dala mi zabrat (málo času).
Ale dokázala jsem se do ní po měsíci zase začíst, že jsem se téměř nemohla odtrhnout. Tohle já beru jako důkaz dobrý knížky. :-)
Melissa
Book #55 read in 2006

I enjoyed this book very much. I think the plot was just creepy enough that I had trouble listening to this during bedtime. I definitely want to read more by this author!
Luann
This is the first Cooper book I've read and I definitely enjoyed it - will pick up the others in the series to read while waiting for the next Frank Quinn to be released.
Marsha
It's a little hokey of a title, but not so bad for a mindless mystery read. Nothing special about the language or description of events or people.
Sayyeda Zonah
Oh My God.Suspense.Action.Climax and a series of overwhelming events!
Last few chapters and i couldn't get my eyes off it! Great Job!!
Kay
All I brought on vacation were Lutz books. I had read a few before and knew I really enjoyed them. This one was no different.
Katie Sunsdahl
I wanted to give it a 3.5, but Goodreads does not allow 1/2 stars... Pretty good book, a bit predictable, but good.
Jan
Rather creepy and unsettling, but I got hooked on it all the same. Would like to read others of John Lutz' books.
Linda
Somewhat predictable serial killer mystery, but it has a likable main character and genuine suspense in places.
Becky
I liked this a lot. I thought it was a bit slow at first but I ended up really liking the story.
Bella
I love John Lutz. He writes as if he is talking to you and takes you right inside the story.
BBBTerri
Easy recreational thriller. Read on the plane from NYC to L.A. and couldn't put it down.
Kcduecker
All the Night Series are the same, but different. They are a good read.
Tracy Jones
Brilliant read - a definite got to read. Gripping from start to end
Amber
Very slow book. A good author but not his best book.
Marla
Just started this series. Enjoyed this book.
Leah (packfan20)
Slow moving, boring, crude.
  • Bird's-Eye View
  • Such Men Are Dangerous
  • Victim Six
  • The Last To Know
  • The Dame (Alan Grofield, #2)
  • The Fourth Order
  • The Next To Die
  • Deadly Secrets
  • Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)
  • The Black Angel
  • The Erection Set
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • Bone Thief
  • Killer Crabs
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • Paint It Black (Louis Kincaid, #3)
  • Watch Me
  • The Tower
John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--virtually every mystery sub-genre. He is the author of more than thirty-five novels and 25 ...more
More about John Lutz...
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)