Start by marking “Self-Portrait” as Want to Read:
Self-Portrait

Self-Portrait

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  396 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Autobiography of Gene Tierney.
Published April 1st 1982 by Peter Wyden (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Portrait

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Books I've read in 2012
54th out of 88 books — 23 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsRena's Promise by Rena Kornreich GelissenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtEscape by Carolyn Jessop
Best Memoirs
141st out of 164 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Denis
Dec 09, 2008 Denis rated it really liked it
One of the best autobiography written by a Hollywood icon. Simply told, humble, painfully honest and heartbreaking, this book is Tierney's vision of her own life, which oscillates between dream and nightmare. The accounf of her descent into madness is chilling. Because it's Tierney who is writing, the book doesn't analyze what made her such a magnetic presence on screen and why she has become such a cult legend (especially in Europe), but it's not really the purpose of the volume.
Sally
I love how sometimes, a really well-written and interesting autobiography can make you like an actress even more, and want to watch more of her films. This is one of the best autobiographies I've read: very honest, humble and unapologetic.
Dawn
May 11, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it
A deeply personal, intimate, candid, glimpse of one of Hollywood's most beautiful women during its Golden Age. To limit the review of this autobiography to the above sentence, however, is a disservice. It is a story of fame, but it's also a very human story, a raw, painfully honest look at mental illness: the downward spiral into its darkness, the struggle to endure its consequences & then, finally, to overcome it.

It's been a few years since I've read this book, but, there are still parts o
Mel
Jan 03, 2014 Mel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I've literally just put finished reading this book and rushed on here to review it.
I was going to say "life changing" but no, that's not quite right. "Life affirming" is better.
Gene Tierney has been my favourite actress for many years, "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir" being my all-time favourite film since I was a child. The grace and poise with which she held herself on-screen testify to the gifted actress she was when you discover the tumult she faced within her own life.
As one other reviewer has
Graceann
Apr 05, 2013 Graceann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
What a profoundly touching memoir. Gene Tierney is painfully honest about her life and the sadnesses within it, and she and her co-writer put together a story that is not only informative, but beautifully written.

Gene Tierney seemed to be doing well, for the most part, and then it all came crashing down. A selfish fan broke quarantine in order to see her at the Hollywood Canteen, exposing her to german measles, which she caught while she was newly pregnant with her first daughter, Daria. Daria
Nisha-Anne
Sep 02, 2012 Nisha-Anne rated it it was amazing
This was such an intriguing and unusually compelling reading experience. Unusual because I can't really pinpoint why I found it so mesmerising. I am a fan, it's true, I am in the process of collecting all Gene's films and I do think she is the most beautiful woman in the world, hands down, no question. But somehow for all of my great fondness, reading her words was something else. I do wonder how much of the narrative was hers only and how much was Mickey Herskowitz the ghost writer. There was a ...more
Leslie
Jan 07, 2016 Leslie rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book, as much a look at mental illness and how it was treated in the 1940s and 50s as it is a Hollywood biography. Gene Tierney's story is that of a woman struggling with a completely misunderstood illness in a time when electro-shock therapy was the norm. Her descriptions of the mental asylums where she spent time as well as the way she describes the onset and worsening of her condition are painful and revealing.

A great read for any Hollywood buff thanks to the many anecdote
Sandy
Aug 23, 2011 Sandy rated it really liked it
It's a shame that this book is out of print, as it is a very brave autobiography by a remarkable woman. Gene Tierney, one of the most stunning-looking actresses to come out of the Hollywood studio system, had a bright and privileged start in life, and made many high-quality--and a handful of true classic--motion pictures, but her middle life was beset by tragedy, divorce and mental illness. She holds little back in this book, and includes details of her 30-some-odd electroshock treatments, her d ...more
Barbara VA
This was just as much a story of a brilliant actress from the golden years as the story of a woman haunted by the demons that sent her to clinics 3 times over 6 years to wrestles with her "weakness". She speaks honestly of the men in her life - Oleg Cassini, Aly Kahn, even JFK, pre Jackie days. I wish there had been more of the movie stories and stories of her co-stars, but think I guess it would have been the same as so many other books. Her struggles with her first born daughter, Daria, we're ...more
Erin
Feb 24, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I saw a "Biography" on Gene Tierney months ago and saw the great films "Laura" and "Leave Her to Heaven". The biography of her tragic life, mental illness, and ultimate happiness after hollywood is not the most fantastic book I've ever read, but she's an actress, not a writer. The book is not chronological, which at times I appreciated. I didn't get a lot of new insight from the book, but it is a nice work from a fine actress who survived a philandering husband (Oleg Cassini), birth of a retarde ...more
Inken Purvis
Mar 11, 2015 Inken Purvis rated it really liked it
One of Hollywood's golden era stars, the stunningly beautiful Gene Tierney will always be best known for her role in the film noir classic, "Laura", playing the title role. She was also nominated for an Oscar as the sociopathic Ellen Harland in "Leave Her To Heaven", but her life wasn't all glamour and glitz. Suffering from what was probably bipolar disorder in a time where mental illness was still totally misunderstood and treated with shame and disgust, Tierney's autobiography is unflinchingly ...more
Celine Godfrey
Jul 14, 2016 Celine Godfrey rated it really liked it
******* SPOILER ALERTS *******
I expected this to be a sugary sweet and immodest autobio by an actress who was beautiful on the surface with no substance underneath. How wrong I was! This is a well written account of her lifelong feelings of abandonment (by her father); her fairly controlling mother; her mental struggles and (drastic, awful & literally shocking) treatments; the tragedy of her first born daughter (severely mentally and physcially disabled following a totally coincidental contr
Alfo
Dec 21, 2008 Alfo rated it it was amazing
If there's one auto/bio book you should read this season, this is it. Probably, out of print at the moment but lucky for me to find this in one of Sydney's prestigious old bookshop.

This is amazing read plus photos of one of Hollywood highly respected actress..arguably, hollywood's most beautiful woman during her heyday.

I normally give away books ive read, but this is a must kept.
Diana
Jun 04, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
I find it quite interesting.....I don't think it is actually very well written but it is an autobiography written by an actress with help from Mickey Herskowitz..... so I do feel I am getting a good window into her life, family and The acting world at the time! My favorite of her films is "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" with Rex Harrison....that is what drew me to read about her!
Laura Edwards
Feb 18, 2015 Laura Edwards rated it really liked it
Shelves: performing-arts
I usually approach celebrity autobiographies with a great deal of trepidation. Most of these people come off as whiny, self-centered and/or narcissistic. I was pleasantly surprised by "Self-Portrait". Ms. Tierney searches to identify her problem and faces her illness without placing blame or falling into self-pity. A strong and admirable woman who reminds that mental illness should not be hushed up and swept under the rug. Unfortunately, with the current budget cuts in our country, too many peop ...more
Corinne Driscoll
Apr 15, 2015 Corinne Driscoll rated it liked it
Very brave woman who writes openly and frankly about her struggle with depression and mental illness. It's hard to imagine that she was in the throes of an episode as she acted in The Left Hand of God with Humphrey Bogart. That was her last movie for 5 years, and she spent much of that time in three different hospitals. Glamorous lifestyle isn't necessarily glamorous.
Mrs. Palmer
Nov 02, 2015 Mrs. Palmer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, 2015, hollywood
A very open account of the actress and her life, her family, her relationships, and her struggles with mental illness. Harrowing in parts, woefully out of date in others. It is definitely a relic of the past, as it was written in the 70s, but it feels very honest. Probably one of the better Hollywood memoirs.
Joanne
Mar 18, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it
A friend gave me this book and while I was not familiar with the works of actress Gene Tierney it was an interesting biography. Gene was active in motion pictures in the 1940 – 1950’s and truthfully, I think I’ve only seen part of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. She was married to Oleg Cassini and had two daughters one of which was born retarded. She was also a love interest of JFK and Howard Hughes.

What struck me different in this Hollywood biography was how it changed from her life as an actress to
Julian
Jun 08, 2014 Julian rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about the life of the late actress Gene Tierney - her career and her battle against mental illness! Very insightful and a real gift for people to learn the tragedies that one faces who has a mental disorder. Highly recommended!!!
Wayne Paul
Mar 28, 2016 Wayne Paul rated it it was amazing
A great Book about a great Actress..if you are interested in the Hollywood of the past and of a complex person complex who lives a life read this. You will love it and you will love her..
Asia
Feb 01, 2016 Asia rated it it was amazing
A chilling yet inspiring autobiography of one of old Hollywood's most underrated actresses and her descent into madness. Took forever to find this out-of-print book and I didn't want it to end. Could read it two times in a row.
Stephen
Oct 26, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
For a quick read, I picked up Self-Portrait by Gene Tierney. She made a lot of great movies that I have enjoyed. This is an autobiography so Tierney is not to critical of her own movies which makes the reading a little bland. But sadly Tierney was one of the few celebrities that had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized at the Institute of Living in Hartford, Ct. That section of the book, including horrific shock treatments was excellent reading. She comes to a final awareness of what caused ...more
Winter Sophia Rose
Oct 28, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, Hard To Put Down!
Hannah
Jun 01, 2014 Hannah rated it it was ok
Rating Clarification: 2.5 Stars
Susan
May 18, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Well written book, in my opinion, about a Hollywood legend. She was just as mysterious as her classic character Laura.
woody fanon
Jan 03, 2015 woody fanon rated it it was amazing
one of the best, well written autobiography. Granted, it's by an actress but the stories are neither shallow or tedious like most actor bio. Discussions of social taboo, mental illness, and kind approach to otherwise, terrible people are unique for this kind of lit. No obnoxious namedropping but gentle and nice stories that you often hear from kindly and wise older figure. Excellent!
Titi Meche
The price of stardom!
Cami
May 12, 2008 Cami rated it really liked it
This was a great first person look into one of the most over-looked actresses of the 40s-50s. Star of Laura, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Heaven Can Wait.
It explores her life in controlling Hollywood, her family life and her decent and return from mental illness.
Barbara
Mar 11, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
Gene Tierney put out a well written and interesting story of her life. What makes it particularly fascinating is her detailed account of her mental illness. I applaud her for being honest about the situation and brave enough to write about it.
Nel
Dec 02, 2008 Nel rated it liked it
Found this in a used bookshop shortly after seeing the film noir Laura last year (and becoming a bit fixated with Gene). It's interesting not only if you're curious about Old Hollywood but as a memoir of her spiral into mental illness.
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
  • Tallulah: My Autobiography
  • Montgomery Clift: A Biography
  • Lana: The Lady the Legend the Truth
  • Lulu in Hollywood
Gene Tierney was born in Brooklyn, New York, on November 19, 1920, to well-to-do parents. Her father was a very successful insurance broker and her mother was a former teacher.

By 1938 she was performing on Broadway in "What a Life!" and understudied for "The Primerose Path" (1938) at the same time. Her wealthy father set up a corporation that was only to promote her theatrical pursuits.

After b
More about Gene Tierney...

“She's another Deanna Durbin,' [Harry] Cohn said, 'except that she can't sing.” 1 likes