Start by marking “A. D. 62: Pompeii” as Want to Read:
A. D. 62: Pompeii

A. D. 62: Pompeii

A twenty-first century woman is stranded in first century Pompeii when a time travel experiment goes awry; she is sold to a wealthy family as a house slave. This provides her with an intimate, upstairs/downstairs perspective on household life in ancient times. At first she does menial work, but she improves her situation by telling stories and making prophecies. As her inf ...more
Published February 7th 2003 by iUniverse (first published February 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A. D. 62, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A. D. 62

Kimberly
Nov 03, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was ok
I was so excited to finally get this book on PBS, but have been disappointed with it ever since. The premise is SO good, but the writing really falls short. There is no doubt the author did an amazing job researching, but at many times in the book I felt lectured at on ancient Pompeii, instead of these bits of information seamlessly integrated into the story. What I found most annoying was the fact that she would repeat herself over and over again on small historical details, often using the sam ...more
Erin
Dec 14, 2007 Erin rated it liked it
The historical information that is conveyed in this book is excellent, if a little dry. Essentially, it is a monograph on Pompeii masquerading as a very poorly plotted novel. Still, the historical detail is very interesting, and it is fun to visit the author's website afterwards to see pictures of the artwork and artifacts that appear in the book.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2009 Melissa rated it did not like it
Historical value only. Story is unconceivably dull, repetitive dialogue and narrative, simple. Almost stopped. Should have.
Izilen
This was heading for three stars but then it actually went for the slave/master narrative and I just could not. It was very heavy-handed throughout. I did actually finish it but I found it supremely unconvincing.
J.M.
Jun 30, 2009 J.M. rated it liked it
This story is about a historian who travels back in time to ancient Pompeii, where she is immediately captured and sold into slavery. Because she can read and write, she becomes valuable to her household. Though she possesses the means to return to her own time, she lingers because she falls in love with her master.

While this was an enjoyable story, I have to admit the main character, Miranda, read like a Mary Sue. That is, she seemed to possess superhuman abilities at times ~ indefatigable, per
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Natalie Tsang for TeensReadToo.com

Imagine getting stranded in Ancient Rome! That's what happens to Miranda in Rebecca East's A. D. 62: POMPEII. Miranda has never felt that she belonged in the 21st century, and when a group of researchers approach her about a short trip to the past, she agrees.

Of course, things don't go as planned. First, she is sold to a wealthy family as a house slave and then her time travel device malfunctions. At first, she is resigned to a life of menial labor,
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Generally, I don't read a lot of books from this genre. Is A.D. 62: Pompeii by Rebecca East a Science Fiction story because of the time travel? A little. More than likely, it is more a story about a young woman thrust into a world she thought she knew, only to find out it wasn't exactly as she expected...or hoped for.

Let me say right off that I quite enjoyed the story. Rebecca was a likable character, as were most of the supporting characters in the story. I would have liked a little less descr
Oorla
Nov 07, 2013 Oorla rated it really liked it
The setting attracted me to this book but I was immediately sceptical with the time travel theme, although wanting to know if and how Miranda got back kept me going.

I enjoyed the setting and the events, particularly meeting Petronius. I was disappointed that Miranda did not save Marcus’s son because of her initial ignorance of the remedy. Maybe the author thought to uphold the myth Miranda surrounded herself with, infuriate the mistress or use it to blossom the romance between Miranda and Marcus
Mary
Jun 19, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction enthusiasts
I finished Rebecca East’s novel “A.D. 62: Pompeii” and I, too, have added Marcus Tullius to my pantheon of Roman heroes. Since he did actually exist, I can hope that he was as noble, sensitive, astute, and talented as Rebecca’s portrayal. Since most of the novel occurred in the Tullius villa and focused on the daily lives of its residents, the novel provided a revealing window on the world of a Roman equestrian family - the operation of their household, their family, their social lives, and the ...more
Poli
Mar 18, 2015 Poli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
Good premise, but that is all.
The beginning- because it's very rushed- is surreal and Miranda's weakness doesn't help me liking the story. I find her too settled in her new life as a slave and her relationship with Marcus reminds me for a saying we have in my country relating to those women who are victims of domestic violence but are unable to leave their husbands because they love them, "The more you beat me, the more I love you".
As for the narrative, it is extremely repetitive. for instance
Kristen
May 30, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
I thought the premise of this novel was fun and very promising: Miranda, a modern Classics scholar is transported back in time to the year A.D. 62 and must soon adapt to a new life once she realizes that returning home will not be as easy as planned. Unfortunately, it was not carried out as well as it could have been. Numerous times, Miranda the narrator repeats herself with information already given in previous chapters. I also felt that the book needed more dialogue; there were sections where ...more
Dan
Apr 17, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel
Pro: 1) The story gave a somewhat in-depth look at life in ancient Rome, although it was probably much too positive with regard to the life of a slave. 2) I thought the story would end differently, even up until the very last pages, so it was an interesting surprise. 3) I enjoyed the premise of how the main character ended up back in time—it was simple (no real details), but satisfactory. 4) The story kept my interest the entire way through.
Con: 1) Better editing would have helped. For example,
Barbara Sabet
Oct 17, 2015 Barbara Sabet rated it liked it
I wanted to read the book since I read everything I can get my hands on that has to do with Pompeii. I enjoyed her storytelling a lot and found that she did a lot of research to make the read true to fact. However, I was bothered by the repeating of information. It was almost like the author had forgotten that she had already told us this certain thing or maybe didn't read her manuscript over before continuing on with the story. I found myself wondering how this could happen.
Overall, it was a n
Keeley Brooks
Quick and simple read

A delightful time-travel romance. In need of some quite severe editing; there are many many repetitions in the middle chapters, some things repeated not just once but several times. Some descriptions of shocking or surprising events are written in a flat, bland, and emotionless manner. A few more rewrites would probably have been helpful.
If you suspend your disbelief and understand you're reading something light and non-taxing, it makes for an enjoyable evening.
Tanya Romero
May 06, 2010 Tanya Romero rated it it was ok
This book could be so good! It was good enough that I did finish it, but really had to force myself a couple times.
As others have stated, the author repeats herself. I wondered a couple times if I had lost my place and was rereading a passage. At times the story dragged along slowly but then towards the end seemed rushed and like the author just wanted to finish the book. The last quarter of the book lacked the interesting details found in the first sections.
If the writing could be tightened up
Deba
Oct 01, 2014 Deba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read about Pompeii, and this book was fairly inexpensive. It is a time-travel genre, but thought I would try it anyway. It is very detailed about the area, and is immensely prominent on the architected description of Pompeii. The story has good premise, and I enjoyed most of it. The repetitiveness in the book is a little tiresome. I enjoyed her story telling immensely, but the author does like to prattle on and on, and so I skipped over the repeated parts. She is also a little stiff ...more
Lacey
May 21, 2013 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fini-ebooks
3.5 rating

This story was actually pretty cute. It's about a woman named Miranda who gets to go back in time to 20 years before the volcano Vesuvius erupts in Pompeii. It didn't expand much on the technology of "how" she got back, which I think would of been good to add in, but it focused more on her story there. She becomes a slave to Marcus Tullius, and later they fall in love. It was a pretty cute love story. It was a unique time travel story!
Linda B.D.
Sep 26, 2012 Linda B.D. rated it liked it
The book was interesting. I'm glad I read it, but at times it seemed to be lacking. Maybe not exciting enough. The main character, Miranda, sent back into A.D. 62 gave a vivid detail of what it was like there at that time. I commend the writer for so much research.Even at the end of the book there is a special section telling where she did her research, titiled, "Brief Historical Notes for A.D.62:Pompeii". the author then tells what & who was true in this book which I found very refreshing.
The Cat  In The Hat
Aug 27, 2008 The Cat In The Hat rated it it was amazing
I've always been fascinated with Mt Vesuvius and it's turbulent history of erruptions. Read lots of stuff on Pompeii and Herculaenum and the current excavations. Hope to visit there next year while we're in Europe and culminate a childhood dream. Can't wait to see all the mosaics. Roman, Italian, geology.
Calypso The Pirate
Excellently done

I never buy e-books I always buy an actual book. I'm very glad I bought this as an e-book. I hope the author writes more books like this is very well done and very well edited. It's nice to read a book without a lot of grammatical and spelling errors. I also like that the book is long and not a short quick read .
Beth
Jun 09, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has an interesting premise - - time travelling modern person goes back to A.D. 62 Pompeii. Anybody interested in the ancient times, or Pompeiian history would like that. And the story itself is okay, but the book suffers greatly due to poor editing. Heck, I could have edited this book better. Entire sentences are repeated throughout, incorrect words, grammatical mistakes.
Patti
Jun 18, 2016 Patti rated it really liked it
My favorite genre is Historical Fiction, particularly historical fiction involving time-travel. Copious repetition and some typographical errors notwithstanding, I found the storyline very absorbing. If you can get over the former (which I made myself do), it's an enjoyable read.
Victor
Jan 30, 2013 Victor rated it liked it
not bad... very soft science fiction time travel plot, but the research into Roman life was through enough to make that part enjoyable. Fun way to learn some history. Also try the Roma sub Rosa series featuring a detective in Rome around the time of Cicero.
Andrea
Dec 17, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it
This was a rather silly book about time travel and Pompeii. It talks about the earthquake of AD 62--not the eruption in AD79, so I appreciated them mixing it up a bit. A good read on the plane or by the beach.
Bridgett
Jul 09, 2009 Bridgett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I learned a lot about ancient Roman culture and the story was original for time travel, I thought. I am curious about the repercussions of the protagonist's changing of events.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Jan 05, 2011 Rachel (Sfogs) rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
The brilliant ending and the wit of Julia Felix got this book a good review. A good, if long-winded story.
Melissa
Sep 14, 2013 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
Looking for a good book about time travel to Ancient Rome- Household Gods by Tarr and Turtledove is a much better read!
Anne
Jul 25, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok
One reason for not buying cheap Kindle books recommended by Amazon because you bought something else with Pompeii in the title!
Nancy
May 31, 2015 Nancy rated it did not like it
Pretty cute premise and I assume she knows her stuff, but the atrocious prose killed it. I don't know that I've read a worse narrative, and this in a DTB book that cost money, not a freebie ebook.
Geoffrey Thomas
I enjoyed this book.
Nice novel tied to interesting history.
A little too girly for me. But the main character was a woman.
Nicely done. Recommended.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • When There is Hope
  • The Demon Creed (Demon Outlaws, #3)
  • The Autumn Lord
  • The Queen's Man
  • Once Upon a Pirate
  • Heart of an Outlaw (Heart & Soul #1)
  • Jacq's Warlord
  • A Hoboken Hipster in Sherwood Forest
  • The Complete Pompeii
  • The Last Girls of Pompeii
  • Must Love Chainmail (Must Love Time Travel, #2)
  • No Proper Lady (Englefield, #1)
  • Rings of Passage: A Time Travel Novel with Richard III
  • Island Heat
  • Once a Pirate
  • Kiss the Earl (Geek Girls, #3)
  • The Pleasure Master
  • Forever Mine

“Touch can have two meanings: it can be an intimate gesture between equals, a way of saying: I care for you. But between people who are unequal, there’s an asymmetry: the powerful may touch the weak — a pat on the back, for example; but the weak may not lay hands on the powerful. His touch probably meant nothing. Any touch I might receive from a family member would be difficult to interpret. It could be a gesture of affection, a bit of condescension, or worst of all, a sexual overture. Or perhaps it might be a confusing mixture of all of these.” 0 likes