Start by marking “The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)

The Hunter (The Forbidden Game #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  4,987 Ratings  ·  299 Reviews
He sold her the game, and Jenny Thornton walked out mesmerized by Julian, the gorgeous cyber-punk with electric blue eyes and frost-white hair. When she and her friends open the plain white box at her boyfriend Tom’s birthday party, she chills to the warning: “Entering the Shadow World can be deadly. Do so at your own risk.” Spellbound, they piece together the rooms with t ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Simon Pulse (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter

Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 Emily May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, young-adult, fantasy
Julian is one of the sexiest characters in the whole of literature, seriously. Even if the story hadn't been a wonderful and gripping adventure with an array of colourful and interesting characters, it would still have been worth the read for Julian. But that aside, the book was wonderful, as soon as I finished it I instantly picked up the sequal. What a great and original story, a bit scary in parts but always entertaining - I couldn't put it down.
The Dark Krystal
Aug 21, 2008 The Dark Krystal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Becky, Vanessa, Dawn, Jenn
Shelves: more-than-once
To anyone who has ever loved Labyrinth, you would think this novel somehow tells the history of The Goblin King. Well, there is no actual tie-in to Labyrinth except the one I make in my mind.

Jenny only wanted to get a game for her boyfriend's party she was throwing that night. She ducks into a store in the sketchy side of town and impulsively buys a plain white glossy box--without knowing what's in it--from a handsome man in the store. Boyfriend who?

She gets home and realizes how stupid her deci
notyourmonkey
Feb 10, 2008 notyourmonkey rated it really liked it
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Jenny is just looking for a party game when she comes across a strange store, and a gorgeous boy who wants to sell her exactly what she wants.
What is the game that Julian sells her? And will Jenny and her friends make it to the end alive?

I haven’t read this book for years, but thankfully it was as good as I remembered.

I liked Jenny although she did irritate me a bit at times. As fearless as she was in some respects, she was a bit of a pushover when
Carla
Nov 21, 2007 Carla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LJ Smith fans, horror fans, teen fiction readers, faery tale lovers
What teenager hasn't dreamt of being taken away by David Bowie? Not too shabby, I say. Even if he is a demony creature from Beyond!
It's pulp. Pseudo Sexual horror romance for teens. I was compelled to finish the series by my libido, plus the spooky bits aren't bad at all.
First book I read as a kid that had words I didn't recognize, too, like laconic.
The description of the things the kids are afraid of, sticks with me the most--especially the one of the Black Forrest. Fairly creepy.
Megan
Jan 13, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
Book 1 of 3. The Forbidden Game trilogy. Very good. Middle school level reading. However, has many classic themes that all ages will enjoy. Find, read, and re-read! (put on keeper shelf!)

The first book in the trilogy which introduces Jenny and group (her boyfriend Tom, her cousin Zach, her friends Audrey, Michael, (who are dating each other) and Dee) to the Shadow Man- Julian who has fallen in love with Jenny and won’t rest until she is his. Jenny buys The Game from Julian (unbeknownst to her at
Maxi (slothreads)
Avevo comprato questo libro a gennaio e non l'avevo ancora toccato quindi mi sembrava doveroso smaltirlo, arrivata a maggio inoltrato.
Non ho un'alta opinione dell'autrice; ho letto Vampire Diaries sino all'ottavo volume a quanto ricordo (o qualcosa di simile) e mi sono volutamente spoiilerata i rimanenti libri per concludere la serie.

La Casa degli Orrori ha lo stesso stile dei libri del Diario del Vampiro: la narrazione è banale, i personaggi, anche quelli principali, sono poco caratterizzati e
Abbie
Feb 20, 2014 Abbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
It's been 5 years since i read this series, and i still love it!

Some of the nightmares were really creepy. I would have had nightmares for life if i took part in them!

The characters were really good. Jenny was really brave and clever. There is no way that i would be able to work that riddle out so quickly!

Julian was creepy and very sneaky, but i couldn't help but love him.
I'd lose a good hour in the games if Julian appeared - I wouldn't be able to stop staring at his blue eyes!

I'm really lo
Rachel E. Carter
Mar 28, 2014 Rachel E. Carter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
Early 90's vibe in the writing, but it doesn't matter because the plot is so fun. This would make a great movie -a house full of nightmares with a hot seductive guy trying to seduce the protagonist. This book is what started my love of all misunderstood bad guys -and I still love it years later!!! Think of it as Hades & Persephone meets Labyrinth, only muchhhh better!
Tanya Nekrasova
Aug 10, 2015 Tanya Nekrasova rated it it was amazing
Мне понравилась эта история. Простенько, но очень увлекательно!! Буду читать дальше :)
Keertana
Jun 14, 2012 Keertana rated it really liked it
I think it would be an understatement to say that I am impressed by L.J. Smith. Smith's name is one that is familiar to nearly everyone, if not for anything else then for her widely popular Vampire Diaries Series. I was more than a little nervous going into The Forbidden Game though, merely because I wanted to like her just as much as everyone else did. I wanted to fall in love with her characters and her world and I can assure you, there are very few authors who I really want to love. I a ...more
Yasi
Dec 20, 2016 Yasi rated it liked it
well,I liked it; my friend recomended this book in school to me & I barrowed it from school library.
I Liked it, but such as other books , as vampire dieries, the main charectors were very pretty &... you know... the cover were'nt good & the translate was awfull;
IT wasnt very huge,U know! It wasnt wow! it was just pretty. nice. good. not well;
& just this
happy yalda

خب دوستم اینو تو مدرسه بهم معرفی کرد و طبق معمول عاشق شخصیت منفی و اصلی داستان شده بود. و گذاشت که بجای اینکه برای 80
Manna
Took me ages to get my hand on this one. For some reason I stuck at the first few chapters for a while. But once the game began, whoosh....

I love the building of suspense. It was like watching a thriller movie. All the sequence building up before the game starts. The footsteps, the reading, those 'off' feelings radiated from the Game sent me on edge. It was nice seeing Jenny, a delicate, kind-heart girl fighting with her friends. Facing fears, and at the same time trying to resist Julian...

Juli
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 Sakura Koneko rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the supernatural
Shelves: favorites
Having gained an interest in L.J. Smith as an author after reading the Vampire Diaries series, I decided to pick up this series of books (it also helped that there was a complete hottie on the cover... come on, I was 13 at the time).

I was thrilled through the entire book by the actions of the antagonist Julian as he tried to woo Jenny in the most outrageous ways possible. While it did seem wrong of him to put her friends in danger in the process, it was still very exciting.
Bibek Thapa
Jan 03, 2014 Bibek Thapa rated it really liked it
I didn't like The Vampire Diaries that much. After reading the first four books in the series, I kinda gave up on the author. Good thing I decided to change that and read this book. The Hunter is a really good book filled with suspense, paranormal beings and race-against-time action. I really enjoyed it. So glad to have started my New Year with a wonderful book. :)
Tinae Goodell
Feb 21, 2011 Tinae Goodell rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book from the beginnig I couldn't put it down! Just loved it and it was suspenseful the whole time. I just have to keep reading the series. I am hooked. This is my favorite of L.J. Smith's thus far. I want to see it put in a movie. It would be an awesome movie!
Serendipity
Nov 20, 2015 Serendipity rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Non sapevo bene cosa aspettarmi da questo libro, l'ho iniziato a leggere più che altro perchè ormai era da troppo tempo che prendeva polvere sulla mia libreria; ed è stata una piacevole sorpresa.

Tutto inizia con l'organizzazione di un innocente festa di compleanno da parte di Jenny ( la protagonista ) per il suo ragazzo storico Tom. Così Jenny s'imbatte in un inquietante negozio di giochi in un quartiere malfamato della sua città, dove un ancora più inquietante ragazzo dagli occhi blu le vende u
Alexandra
The premise for this story is really interesting. The execution of it however I found very bland. This left me very underwhelmed.

The villain isn't sexy or attractive, in my opinion. Just another, sadly typical, jerk who confuses desire to possess and control with "love".

The other characters seemed fairly flat and one dimensional to me. The story should have been suspenseful and even perhaps scary, but really wasn't. The situation certainly is one that should be suspenseful and scary, but the wri
Tabby
Nov 20, 2011 Tabby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ugh I just did not like this book,I don't even want to continue to the next. Even though the premise was good;the book was not. I read this because alot of people compared it to The Labyrinth but even the similarities didn't make me like it. Most of the problems I had was with the main character she just annoyed me.I ended up not liking her or her boyfriend who she obsessed over way too much.

Not gonna lie I was totally rooting for Julian;I liked him way more then I liked anyone else. I think I
Brit
Dec 26, 2008 Brit rated it it was amazing
To me, this book was really good because I'm into all the nineties and eighties stuff...And it was just original...Something I hadn't read before so it became a book I couldn't put down until I finished the series. When I read it I was about fifteen but reading each chapter, I grew more and more compelled with Julian. He turned out to be my favorite character through out the series. The only thing that bugged me about this book was how needy Jenny was of Tom, no matter if there were childhood sw ...more
Hobbes
Oct 17, 2015 Hobbes rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult

Nightmares. Well, we're all acquainted with those in differing degrees and consistencies. And then there is the Game. Players must navigate these nightmares and conquer them. It's life or death. But, there's also the evil overlord of the game... and frankly, I really felt for him. Now that would not happen in one of my mares!

Creepy tale that was somewhat predictable in its outcome. But fun nonetheless, so I'll be reading the next two books because that cliffhanger is interesting even though the
Jessica
Jul 24, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
This is one of the books that absolutely fascinated me as a kid (and undoubtedly contributed to my obsession with the Byronic hero/ine). Some of it's kind of over the top, but the way L.J. Smith weaves together mythology, fairy tales, fantasy, and good old-fashioned sexy teenage angst makes for a great story. I'm still pretty attached to the series, and I read it from time to time. I get all worked up in the same places every single time.
Maragad
Zakázaná Hra: Lovec je knihou s originálním námětem, kde na čtenáře čeká skvěle promyšlený svět s děsivou atmosférou. Děj má spád a nepostrádá ani napětí, a tak budete rychle přetáčet každou stranu a čekat se zatajeným dechem, jak to vše nakonec dopadne. A jelikož jde o velmi malou a útlou knihu, lze ji přečíst již během pár hodin. Ani tentokrát tomu není jinak a L.J.Smith si opět připravila věčný souboj dobra se zlem.
Bobby
Oct 06, 2010 Bobby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Bowie! That's why I like Julian so much! I had forgotten who he reminded me of. I haven't read this book in a while, but it was one of my favourite early teenage books and I think it may be one that stands the test of time, because it doesn't focus too much on the romance, and the actual plot is quite inriguing. Plus, I love me some Julian :D
Milenne
Mar 26, 2015 Milenne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-bad-books
Chuťovka přečtená za "chvilku", hrdinky, které bych nejraději přetáhla pánvičkou, ale jinak docela fajn. I si nejspíš přečtu další díl. Nejspíš.
❀EᖇYᑎ❀
Feb 06, 2017 ❀EᖇYᑎ❀ rated it liked it
Shelves: average
2.75 stars.

Good story. Average writing.
The Bookavid
Originally Published On My Review Blog

In THE HUNTER, Jenny buys a mysterious boardgame from a handsome Cyberpunk and gets sucked into the Shadowworld along with her friends.
What intrigued me: I love her Vampire Diaries books.

Incredibly Captivating

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: L.J. Smith knows darn well what she's doing. There's a reason both her Vampire Diaries series and The Secret Circle series got turned into tv shows. She just writes captivatingly. This isn't the first t
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Aug 31, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old School 'Are You Afraid of the Dark' Fans
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
I went into this audiobook thinking, "Wow!! THis is dated!"

I mean, they are talking about Ren and Stimpy and some Hollywood people that I don't even know.

SO, I Wiki-ed it. I mean... everything on Wiki is true, right? Well, what I looked up probably is:

The Forbidden Game Trilogy was originally published in three parts, in 1994, by Simon & Schuster

Okey doke!! So, that makes sense. I was probably 15 or 16 when this book came out.

I felt this was really close to Are you Afraid of the Dark which
Swati
Jan 01, 2014 Swati rated it liked it
Not exactly a mature book

I must admit this book was a surprise discovery. I have read L. J Smith’s work before and did not like it at all. The book in question was “Vampire Diaries” (though the show is excellent and so different from the book) and then even “The Secret Circle” was a big disappointment. After two disappointing reads, I had reached a decision never to touch anything by L.J Smith ever again.

However, one day when I found myself with nothing to read and so in order to pass my time

Anna
Aug 28, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok
Good premise, mediocre book with one-dimensional characters. The main character, Jenny, has no personality except for how other people keep saying she is a wonderful person (spoiler: it never shows.) Oh, and someone dies and the group's reaction is basically "noooo... what are we going to tell their parents?".
Also, I honestly thought Tom was going to turn out evil and that he had Jenny under an enchantment. But no, she was just that in love (read: insecure, needy, disturbingly dependent on her b
  • The Dance (Final Friends #2)
  • Fatal Secrets (Point Horror, #24)
  • Crimson Night (Crimson #2)
  • The Yearbook
  • Horrorscape (Horrorscape, #2)
  • The Mummy
  • Heart of the Hunter (Fear Street Sagas, #9)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Forbidden Game (3 books)
  • The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)
  • The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3)

“I fell in love with you. I didn't do it on purpose” 495 likes
“I have never been in love before," Julian said. "You're my first-and you'll be my only.” 234 likes