Start by marking “The Talmud and the Internet: A Journey between Worlds” as Want to Read:
The Talmud and the Internet: A Journey between Worlds
Preview

The Talmud and the Internet: A Journey between Worlds

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Talmud and the Internet, in which Jonathan Rosen examines the contradictions of his inheritance as a modern American and a Jew, is a moving and exhilarating meditation on modern technology and ancient religious impulses. Blending memoir, religious history and literary reflection Rosen explores the remarkable parallels between a page of Talmud and the homepage of a web ...more
Published September 15th 2001 by Picador (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Talmud and the Internet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Talmud and the Internet

Sellyndavies
What I like about Jonathan Rosen is his craftsmanship as a writer. Unfortunately, in this book, he seems to brush upon a few different themes, without committing to any one of them. The net result is a monologue that meanders without delivering on the promise suggested by the title. The book is part memoir about the lives of his grandmothers - one of whom lived and died in safety in the United States - and the other, who died during the Holocaust. He says his father, who lost his entire family a ...more
Rona
This is a short book of the thoughts of a young man trying to find meaning in his family history, the history of Jewish and European history as it relates to his family, and the meaning of history as he and his family move into the future. It is sprinkled with lovely family stories, nods to great literature, and bits of history. If you want to get a taste of a thoughtful, contemporary Jewish-American life, Jonathan Rosen is one of the go-to authors.
It is a short, pleasant read. It is tender, tho
Ben Pashkoff
Raises some interestingpoints, but.... could have been/should have been/would have been... oh well - probably to be forgotten in the near future. NOT what I would put down as one of my more influential reads. Most interesting point (IMMHO) was a comparison of the lives and times of Flavius Josephus and R Yhanan Ben-Zakkai. Again could have had more to it. Maybe this is what contemporary liberal American Jewry is idolizing?
Noah
This book is really well written and does a good job of weaving stories from the Talmud with the Author's own personal story. It illustrates the relevance of studying ancient texts in post-modern times and offers powerful insight into the human condition.
David
I was delighted to happen upon this little volume which brings together my interests in two areas - Jewish philosophy and modern computer technology. This is a somewhat autobiographical memoir of a man who is Jewish, though not a rabbi or scholar. He's also a fairly amateurish user of the Internet (and the book is now somewhat dated, since it was published in 2000 and so much has happened in technology since then). But he meditates effectively on the relationship and similarities between the Tal ...more
Elizabeth
Through a series of essays, Rosen unpacks the layers of his own relationship to religious and personal ambiguity, to suffering and joy, and to seemingly disparate 'ancient' and 'modern' approaches to knowledge, finding nourishment in the struggle.

He uses what I would call narrative theology to examine the metaphors we use to define our understandings of home, exile, and knowledge. He finds that the structure of the internet mirrors deeper truths of the Talmud and of our own spiritual journeys:
Leah
This book is a small gem. It's a beautiful meditation on Rosen's identity, Talmud, the internet and the bridge between the past and the present. Rosen has an easy and approachable style, and the book is chock full of insight that will appeal to all readers - even those with little interest in ancient Jewish texts or the web. As someone who spends a great deal of time thinking about what it means to be a cultural Jew, I found this book illuminating and thought-provoking. Highly recommend.
Dennis Fischman
The Talmud and the messy Internet of 2001, when this book was written, are both conversations between many different people, across time and space, where one topic can lead to the next in the blink of an eye. Jonathan Rosen suggests that for people living in exile, both are, oddly enough, home. This slim book contains deep wisdom. Read my full review at http://dfischman.blogspot.com/2014/12....
Arthur Gershman

A tip of the old hat to Keith Leverberg who expressed my thoughts almost exactly with his title of his Amozon review, although I judge Rosen a little less harshly. This book is carelessly constructed, with such screamers as, at page 130, "The Talmud that my wife and I study from together belonged to her grandfather, who immigrated to Palestine, thanks to the Balfour Declaration, in 1924, was wounded in the 1948 War of Independence and devoted the rest of his life to the study of Talmud." Or some
Rachael
A slim book but not necessarily a quick read. It's an elegant personal essay interspersed with musings about the chaos of the Internet and the Talmud-- and such chaos represents the creativity, dynamic growth, and inter-relatedness of human nature/human society. It made me want to adopt several of his Judaic philosophies about the boundless nature of learning, the unfazed mixture of the divine and the mundane, the embrace of messiness, uncertainty, and all the stuff that as a slightly type-A, ab ...more
Peter
This is my second read of this truly amazing essay/reflection/memoir by Jonathan Rosen, a smart articulate thoughtful writer/editor in New York. The book is a tool, in itself, for navigating the hard questions about who we are, where we position ourselves and how we understand meaning, the sacred and the profane. I read this ten years ago and it was a great book, I read it this year and it was an even better book, I'll read it again in a decade and record my thoughts.
Eric
An interesting meditation on the relationship between the internet and the Talmud, filtered through the death of the author's grandmother. Very enlightening for those not familiar with the ins and outs of the Talmud beyond the occasional Yom Kippur service. It's a short book and that may be its biggest flaw—I really wanted it to go deeper in the end, despite the author's effective matter of fact tone.
Chris
This book has promise. It reads smoothly, yet smartly, like an extended New Yorker article. The authors points and personal touches are well formulated. Unfortunately, a number of his historical facts including dates are incorrect. I think that may be more of an editor issue, given the rest of the book though. Worth a read, but for religious or personal rather than for scholarly reasons.
Mahmoud Haggui
اسمعي يا اسرائيل إلهنا واحد" (شمع يسرائيل أدوناي إلوهينا أدوناي أحد). اباناالذى فى السماء ليتقدس اسمك لتكن مشيئتك" إسمع صوتنا يا ربنا واشفق علينا وارحمنا واقبل برحمة ورضاء صلاتنا ومن بين يديك يا ملكنا لا تردّنا خائبين إذ أنت سامع صلوات كل فم دعاك سبحانك وتبارك اسمك يا سامع الصلوات ومجيب الدعاء
المجد فى الاعالى و على الأرض السلام و بالناس المسرة. #أمين
Sharon Rosenberg-Scholl
The title is a bit misleading as it's not so much about the Talmud and the Internet specifically but about making sense of the contradictions in one's life. Beautifully written, I found myself drawn into the author's story of his life, his parents, grandparents and the histories he brings forward - messily, with conflict and contradictions.
Taylor
I really enjoyed this book. It's funny, easy to read, informative and raises some important questions. He captures a lot of beautiful if esoteric moments that somehow I think we can all relate to. Def. give this one a whirl!
Margo
Although a great example of postmodern fiction and autoethnography, I found this book to just be kinda boring. Maybe it would have been better if I knew more about the Jewish religion but I guess it's too late now.
Peter Wolfley
Pure post-modernism. When you become an established writer you can work out childhood issues in book form. Very similar style to In Bed with the Word.
Meagan
Really interesting look into a modern Jewish-American ethnography. A good, quick read that's really pleasant and gives you some good things to think about.
Heidi Stone
a little bit hard to understand with the Jewish references, but interesting read. Probably wouldn't read again, a one time experience.
Matthew
This is another one that I've read before and am just refreshing.
Melanee
I loved this book. I really can't put a finger on why.
Amy
Jul 03, 2007 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Whitney
This is really awesome I think you would like it.
Joshua
Amazing book
Religion and modern world
postmod
Mitchell Robinson
So good it makes me want to convert to Judaism!
reed
much better than you'd think from the title.
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Cindie Harp
Cindie Harp marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme
  • Standing Again at Sinai: Judaism from a Feminist Perspective
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • The Bible with Sources Revealed
  • Hillel: If Not Now, When?
  • Back to the Sources
  • Yentl's Revenge: The Next Wave of Jewish Feminism
  • Sacred Trash: The Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza
  • How to Read the Bible: A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now
  • Kaaterskill Falls
  • Flaubert and Madame Bovary
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • God Was in This Place and I, I Did Not Know
  • Among the Truthers: A Journey Through America's Growing Conspiracist Underground
  • New Addresses
  • The Gutenberg Elegies: The Fate of Reading in an Electronic Age
  • The Beginning of Desire
  • Gulf Music: Poems
Joy Comes in the Morning: A Novel The Life of the Skies: Birding at the End of Nature Eve's Apple: A Novel Eve's Apple Displaced Persons

“The Talmud tells a story about a great Rabbi who is dying, he has become a goses, but he cannot die because outside all his students are praying for him to live and this is distracting to his soul. His maidservant climbs to the roof of the hut where the Rabbi is dying and hurls a clay vessel to the ground. The sound diverts the students, who stop praying. In that moment, the Rabbi dies and his soul goes to heaven. The servant, too, the Talmud says, is guaranteed her place in the world to come.” 2 likes
“There is a moment in the tractate Menahot when the Rabbis imagine what takes place when Moses ascends Mount Sinai to receive the Torah. In this account (there are several) Moses ascends to heaven, where he finds God busily adding crownlike ornaments to the letters of the Torah. Moses asks God what He is doing and God explains that in the future there will be a man named Akiva, son of Joseph, who will base a huge mountain of Jewish law on these very orthographic ornaments. Intrigued, Moses asks God to show this man to him. Moses is told to 'go back eighteen rows,' and suddenly, as in a dream, Moses is in a classroom, class is in session and the teacher is none other than Rabbi Akiva. Moses has been told to go to the back of the study house because that is where the youngest and least educated students sit.

Akiva, the great first-century sage, is explaining Torah to his disciples, but Moses is completely unable to follow the lesson. It is far too complicated for him. He is filled with sadness when, suddenly, one of the disciples asks Akiva how he knows something is true and Akiva answers: 'It is derived from a law given to Moses on Mount Sinai.' Upon hearing this answer, Moses is satisfied - though he can't resist asking why, if such brilliant men as Akiva exist, Moses needs to be the one to deliver the Torah. At this point God loses patience and tells Moses, 'Silence, it's my will.”
2 likes