Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)

Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #7)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,380 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Published February 1st 2011 by Headline (first published January 1st 2011)

Graeme Stokes
Finished the latest book in the Eddie Chase and Nina Wilde series. Promised so much and yet felt the book was overly long with fillers. I have read all Andy's books and have loved them all so very much. Maybe for the next novel Eddie's father could get together with Nina, after all they would have so much in common (neither listen). I would have thought after all their adventures and years together that Nina would have understood Eddie and his actions. The ending was some what, how can I put it...more
Gopal Iyer
Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase are back again in Book#7 by Andy McDermott. This time it is Venezuela & Peru which is their in their cross sites. The mysterious statues introduced in The Cult Of Osiris and The Sacred Vault is brought to the fore again.

There is a 3rd statue and a mysterious organization called Group wants them all. But they need Nina Wilde's help to put together all the statues. Wilde and Chase are put on it's trail by Ankit Jindal the interpol head of cultural investigations wh...more
Jeninne
I didn’t dislike this book. I think that’s important to say right off the bat. In fact, I still generally really like this entire series. The problem, however, is that for the first time, I’m starting to see the same things cycle through thematically and plot wise, and it’s starting to get a little tiresome. This series is starting to skirt that really dangerous line that longer series often fall prey too, and I’m really hoping the next veers away sharply.

See, for as often as I’m going on about...more
Robin Carter
Book Description (from back of book)

" Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are back for their seventh blockbusting adventure by the bestselling author of THE HUNT FOR ATLANTIS, Andy McDermott. When archaeologist Nina Wilde and her husband, ex-SAS soldier Eddie Chase, are given the chance to work on an Interpol investigation into smuggled artifacts, they are stunned to realise that the artifacts hold clues to the location of a lost Inca settlement hidden somewhere in South America. As Nina and Eddie dig de...more
Mike
Andy McDermott continues his series of the adventures of Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase with what is possibly the most emotional book yet in the series. I wasn't expecting for this book to have a moment at the end where the characters had a fight that felt real, but it sure enough does. It's a big spoiler to say why it happens, or what the aftermath is, but it leaves a very big cliff hanger for the next book, even more so than the other at least two cliff hangers that had already been created.

I am s...more
Willa
Deep in the jungles of South America, an incredible treasure has been hidden for centuries. Archaeologist Nina Wilde possesses the key to finding it - but in her way stand revolutionaries and drug lords, fighting for control over the riches of a lost empire!

Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are back for their seventh blockbusting adventure by the New York Times bestselling author of THE HUNT FOR ATLANTIS. Their goal this time is the legendary last outpost of the Inca Empire - which could point the way...more
Andy Plonka
A blockbuster thriller for sure. nonstop action in which one must accept the premise that the main protagonist is just one short step away from being superman. The number of difficult situations that he gets himself in and manages to escape with only minor (I assume they are minor since he;s up and running off to his next encounter quite quickly) injuries is amazing. The story is Eddie Chase and his archeologist wife are hot on the trail of discovering the location of El Dorado, the city of gold...more
Timothy Vogel
Oops! I read this between Graham Brown books (Black Rain/Sun), and got my mind all fuzzed with different Mayan Doomsday prophecies. Did the same thing a few years ago by reading 3 different Atlantean myth stories in too small a timeline.

Anyway ... sure, sure ... the story is great. But if you have been enjoying the main characters in these (8 so far?) books, this one is a fantastic read. I looooove where this book leaves off.

My reviews for McDermott's Chase/Wilde books are going to pretty much t...more
Mattias
I have read all the books about Ninas and Eddies adventures throughout the world. I have enjoyed them all, some more and some less. Empire of gold is an enjoyable read with all the usual action, adventure and banter. Why change a winning formula? But the book could have used some editing (I am looking at you armoured car sequence in the middle) and the story isnt up to its usual standard. But the ending is very good and almost makes up for the books shortcomings. As usual if you didnt like McDer...more
Andrew Anthony
Having not read any of Wilde/Chase books for a year or so, I was looking forward to it filling my plane flight home with something new. Typical book of the series however, with, for me at least, not enough time spent in the ancient ruins/temples exploring and the like. Still worth a read, and with it left as it has been in the final chapter, I will most likely read the next in the series. Not however, before I read Exploration Fawcett.. Oh how I am looking forward to that. When it finally arrive...more
Larry Johnson
McDermott must have spent a lot of time at the movies as his books cry out to be made into feature films. The action is non-stop with characters and plots that seem to mix Indiana Jones with John McClane. In this novel, Nina and her husband find themselves looking for "El Dorado" and along the way are caught up in an attempt to overthrow a South American government. The ending is a complete surprise and will have the reader, like me, anxiously waiting for the next novel this summer.
Scott Tucker
Not very good at writing reviews about what I thought of a book.
Phyllis
Oh My Gosh! A two parter and I have to wait till next year to find out what happens. This book was great. Couldn't put it down. I was alittle put off that Nina was having hard time believing Eddie's side of the story but that is what makes this book great. It was a non-stop adventure from the beginning and was very emotional towards the end. I have read every one of theses books and I have to say this was one of the best. Can't wait for the next.
Tommy
This was a typical read from this author. Lots of action w/ Eddie & Nina getting into and out of many difficult situations while trying to find the "Loat City of Gold - El Dorado". Every jam that the 2 got into and out of had many hard-to-believe escapes but, of course this is fiction. If you like exciting action this is the book for you. It also does not end w/ the "bad guy" getting caught so, the author can continue the story in his next book.
Brenda
This is my least favorite book of the series so far. In my opinion, El Dorado was found too quickly and there was too much time spent on the attempted coup. I realize that is was part of the journey to El Dorado but I prefer to have more archeology/history. I would have also liked to know more about the statues but I guess that will have to wait until the next one.
K.l.
Absolutely brilliant!!! They so need to make a movie out of this - he writes so well that you can picture the scenes so vividly, and I really struggled to put the book down! This time Nina and Eddie are on the hunt for El Dorado, the city of gold! Drug Lords, ex-SAS evil mercenaries, and lots of unexpected twists and turns!!!
Larry B Gray
Another great adventure by Andy McDermott. After reading several of his books I really enjoy his characters and can't wait to see what Nina and Eddie will get themselves into next.

This is a fast paced, action packed adventure story from beginning to end. I highly recommend this book and all the books by Andy McDermott.
Du
If you like these books you'll love this one. I liked the premise originally, but have found the execution to have dropped off. It is really the same old, same old from the banner, to the self created relationship issues, to the unrealistic violence, to the dead ex wife who comes back for a forth time. Ugh. I'm done.
Chris
Fantastic, heart pumping action, characters great, you can just imagine them in your head as you are reading, Eddie is just a lovable teddy bear (sometimes) storyline well paced, what a twist at the end, amazing who comes to his defence. Now just have to wait for the next book to see how it all unfolds.
Robert
SPOILERS

I am shocked that this got such good reviews by other readers. I thought characters very weak and un likable also left with no answer to the main issue of the statue!!
After 600 pages
I would normally go out and buy next book (like Dragon tattoo) but to be honest couldn't care less in the end

Divya
the action, chase continues , but the spirit is slightly less compared to it immediate prequel(Shiva's vault/sacred vault). Now that Sophia is back, and Chase Sr. has arrived, hoping for drama, archaeological wonders( 3 statues, nina's mytic powers) and lots of "WILDE CHASE"with the sequel.
I read about half of this book. Too many ridiculous things were happening and I couldn't do it anymore. The main character is some kind of magical super hero who can do no wrong. At one point, I was reading portions aloud to my sister and we laughed together about the book's ridiculousness.
Philip Cook
With the exception of the first book in the series this was my favorite. I really like the fact that there is a true cliffhanger in the Eddie/Nina relationship unlike in mosat books where they fight like a normal married couple and then make up. Definately worht the read.
J.a.j. Hutchisson
Whereas Andy McDermott does write well, his books have become predictable. I started noticing it on the third book in and since then I haven't enjoyed his books as well. I think he needs to throw away whatever formula he is using and think of something else.
Scott Widener
Another enjoyable fast-paced treasure hunt/save the world adventure story. Andy has a way of writing in which engages your mind toward the story line and character new and especially old. Love to recommend this to any adventure story readers.
Yvonne Powderly
This started off so good I thought I had found a new author to follow.... Then after the first chapter (prologue) the pace slowed and became less realistic. It turned into a James Bond like fantastical chase. Not my kind of thing.
Lindsay
I so love this series!

I love Eddie the hero and Nina is a good strong female character.

This book ended with quite the cliffhanger so I will be running out to find the next book right quick.

The plot in this one was excellent!
Lori March
Book could have ended about three times but more hitches were thrown into the mix and I am still left anticipating the next book to see how the story will play out. Action, adventure, drama, globe trotting; McDermott never disappoints.
Amos
Fancy action, across the map. Obviously written for movie treatment. interesting Character developement.

Think I may look for the earlier 6 volumns.

Rip-roaring adventure.
bit hard to believe. but great action.
Michelle
Oh this was another fantasic book by Andy McDermott. He sure knows how to deliver non-stop action. I have read all the books in this series, and this one ranks just as highly as the others! Can't wait for the next one!
Goodreads Feedback: Page count wrong 4 32 Oct 16, 2012 03:36PM
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Death Relic (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #7)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Rogue Wave
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
  • Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves (Shane Schofield, #5)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Primeval (Event Group Adventure, #5)
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...
The Hunt For Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1) The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2) The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4) The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3) The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)