Start by marking “Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)” as Want to Read:
Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)

Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #7)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,109 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Deep in the jungles of South America, an incredible treasure has been hidden for centuries. Archaeologist Nina Wilde possesses the key to finding it - but in her way stand revolutionaries and drug lords, all fighting for control over the riches from a lost empire!
Published February 1st 2011 by Headline (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Empire Of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire Of Gold

Jeninne
I didn’t dislike this book. I think that’s important to say right off the bat. In fact, I still generally really like this entire series. The problem, however, is that for the first time, I’m starting to see the same things cycle through thematically and plot wise, and it’s starting to get a little tiresome. This series is starting to skirt that really dangerous line that longer series often fall prey too, and I’m really hoping the next veers away sharply.

See, for as often as I’m going on about
Jess
This was one of the better ones of the series. I enjoyed the differing events in this book and the tensions that will be explored in the next book. I especially enjoyed the last parts of the book and the convergence from the usual formula of the previous novels; actual twists - nice touch. I'm starting to find that the constant 'action action action' is getting quite redundant though. The purpose of action in a book is to drive events forward. When a book - such as this one - is basically all ac ...more
Theresa
We get something a bit different. Instead of starting off with an innocent group of people getting wiped out by the bad guys, this goes back and shows us a Special Forces incident from Eddie’s past. A very enlightening look.

The majority of this story takes place in the jungles of Venezuela, Columbia and Peru as they fight off mercenaries, revolutionaries and drug dealers in search of El Dorado.

Eddie is being childish again. He needs a big spanking (and I don’t mean the good kind). You’d think
Kevin Kazokas
I'm angry with Andy McDermott, and no this is not a bad review. He simply ruined my summer.

Oh, he wrote a quality book in "Empire of Gold." The adventure captured me from first page to last. The problem is, the story goes beyond the last page -- way beyond. Into a whole other book. Those hoping to read "Empire" as a standalone -- it is summer after all and there are concerts, sporting events and vegging on the porch with your favorite beverage -- prepare for disappointment. Consider this a preca
Graeme Stokes
Finished the latest book in the Eddie Chase and Nina Wilde series. Promised so much and yet felt the book was overly long with fillers. I have read all Andy's books and have loved them all so very much. Maybe for the next novel Eddie's father could get together with Nina, after all they would have so much in common (neither listen). I would have thought after all their adventures and years together that Nina would have understood Eddie and his actions. The ending was some what, how can I put it ...more
Gopal (The Minion)
Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase are back again in Book#7 by Andy McDermott. This time it is Venezuela & Peru which is their in their cross sites. The mysterious statues introduced in The Cult Of Osiris and The Sacred Vault is brought to the fore again.

There is a 3rd statue and a mysterious organization called Group wants them all. But they need Nina Wilde's help to put together all the statues. Wilde and Chase are put on it's trail by Ankit Jindal the interpol head of cultural investigations wh
Robin Carter
Book Description (from back of book)

" Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are back for their seventh blockbusting adventure by the bestselling author of THE HUNT FOR ATLANTIS, Andy McDermott. When archaeologist Nina Wilde and her husband, ex-SAS soldier Eddie Chase, are given the chance to work on an Interpol investigation into smuggled artifacts, they are stunned to realise that the artifacts hold clues to the location of a lost Inca settlement hidden somewhere in South America. As Nina and Eddie dig de
Mike
Andy McDermott continues his series of the adventures of Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase with what is possibly the most emotional book yet in the series. I wasn't expecting for this book to have a moment at the end where the characters had a fight that felt real, but it sure enough does. It's a big spoiler to say why it happens, or what the aftermath is, but it leaves a very big cliff hanger for the next book, even more so than the other at least two cliff hangers that had already been created.

I am s
Willa
Deep in the jungles of South America, an incredible treasure has been hidden for centuries. Archaeologist Nina Wilde possesses the key to finding it - but in her way stand revolutionaries and drug lords, fighting for control over the riches of a lost empire!

Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are back for their seventh blockbusting adventure by the New York Times bestselling author of THE HUNT FOR ATLANTIS. Their goal this time is the legendary last outpost of the Inca Empire - which could point the way
Dan
I picked this up in Chicago OHare International Airport a few years ago to supplement the dwindling remainder of the last of the paperbacks that I had taken on vacation. It was an impulse buy based on the cover for the most part. And I found it quite enjoyable..
J. L.
Please note: This book was NOT abandoned due to the quality of the writing, which was still going strong once I hit the 50 page mark. Unfortunately, I continue to not be one for thrillers, especially if I try to pick it up in the middle of a series.
Mark Bond
Yet another cracker! Eddie and Nina head to South America for this adventure, tracking ancient gold and stopping a military coup! If you've read the others, read this!
Andy Plonka
A blockbuster thriller for sure. nonstop action in which one must accept the premise that the main protagonist is just one short step away from being superman. The number of difficult situations that he gets himself in and manages to escape with only minor (I assume they are minor since he;s up and running off to his next encounter quite quickly) injuries is amazing. The story is Eddie Chase and his archeologist wife are hot on the trail of discovering the location of El Dorado, the city of gold ...more
Timothy Vogel
Oops! I read this between Graham Brown books (Black Rain/Sun), and got my mind all fuzzed with different Mayan Doomsday prophecies. Did the same thing a few years ago by reading 3 different Atlantean myth stories in too small a timeline.

Anyway ... sure, sure ... the story is great. But if you have been enjoying the main characters in these (8 so far?) books, this one is a fantastic read. I looooove where this book leaves off.

My reviews for McDermott's Chase/Wilde books are going to pretty much t
Jim Jewell
Decent international conspiracy thriller.
Mattias
I have read all the books about Ninas and Eddies adventures throughout the world. I have enjoyed them all, some more and some less. Empire of gold is an enjoyable read with all the usual action, adventure and banter. Why change a winning formula? But the book could have used some editing (I am looking at you armoured car sequence in the middle) and the story isnt up to its usual standard. But the ending is very good and almost makes up for the books shortcomings. As usual if you didnt like McDer ...more
Karsyn
Not one of the better ones, and I miss Gildart Jackson as narrator. :( Not looking forward to this guy for the rest, he's ok, but not Gildart. :/

The story was ok, sad parts tho. :(
Andrew Anthony
Having not read any of Wilde/Chase books for a year or so, I was looking forward to it filling my plane flight home with something new. Typical book of the series however, with, for me at least, not enough time spent in the ancient ruins/temples exploring and the like. Still worth a read, and with it left as it has been in the final chapter, I will most likely read the next in the series. Not however, before I read Exploration Fawcett.. Oh how I am looking forward to that. When it finally arrive ...more
Larry Johnson
McDermott must have spent a lot of time at the movies as his books cry out to be made into feature films. The action is non-stop with characters and plots that seem to mix Indiana Jones with John McClane. In this novel, Nina and her husband find themselves looking for "El Dorado" and along the way are caught up in an attempt to overthrow a South American government. The ending is a complete surprise and will have the reader, like me, anxiously waiting for the next novel this summer.
Scott Tucker
Not very good at writing reviews about what I thought of a book.
Phyllis
Oh My Gosh! A two parter and I have to wait till next year to find out what happens. This book was great. Couldn't put it down. I was alittle put off that Nina was having hard time believing Eddie's side of the story but that is what makes this book great. It was a non-stop adventure from the beginning and was very emotional towards the end. I have read every one of theses books and I have to say this was one of the best. Can't wait for the next.
Tommy
This was a typical read from this author. Lots of action w/ Eddie & Nina getting into and out of many difficult situations while trying to find the "Loat City of Gold - El Dorado". Every jam that the 2 got into and out of had many hard-to-believe escapes but, of course this is fiction. If you like exciting action this is the book for you. It also does not end w/ the "bad guy" getting caught so, the author can continue the story in his next book.
Denis Scotland
great reading - keeps you interested
Stephen Applegarth
Great book. These aren't great works giving you the atmosphere and feeling of far off places, they're the literary equivalent of the summer blockbuster movie, they read like one, I visualise an epic film as in reading and they work.

Well written, page turning and really enjoyable in the action movie kind of way, ready for the next one to see what will happen
Brenda
This is my least favorite book of the series so far. In my opinion, El Dorado was found too quickly and there was too much time spent on the attempted coup. I realize that is was part of the journey to El Dorado but I prefer to have more archeology/history. I would have also liked to know more about the statues but I guess that will have to wait until the next one.
Partha Chowdhury
High speed roller coaster.
K.l.
Absolutely brilliant!!! They so need to make a movie out of this - he writes so well that you can picture the scenes so vividly, and I really struggled to put the book down! This time Nina and Eddie are on the hunt for El Dorado, the city of gold! Drug Lords, ex-SAS evil mercenaries, and lots of unexpected twists and turns!!!
Larry B Gray
Another great adventure by Andy McDermott. After reading several of his books I really enjoy his characters and can't wait to see what Nina and Eddie will get themselves into next.

This is a fast paced, action packed adventure story from beginning to end. I highly recommend this book and all the books by Andy McDermott.
Joseph
Entertaining, but felt a little "all over the place" at sometimes. It also takes a more serious turn, not in the topic of archeology but characters motives and what's really occurring behind Eddie and Nina's back. Overall a fun read, I really enjoyed the last part of the book and the car chases in the beginning.
Du
If you like these books you'll love this one. I liked the premise originally, but have found the execution to have dropped off. It is really the same old, same old from the banner, to the self created relationship issues, to the unrealistic violence, to the dead ex wife who comes back for a forth time. Ugh. I'm done.
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • The Death Relic (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #7)
  • The Gods Of Atlantis (Jack Howard, #6)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Scarecrow Returns (Shane Schofield, #5)
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...

Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase (10 books)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #9)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1) The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2) The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4) The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3) The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)

“You saying I’m getting old?” Eddie asked, grinning. “It happens to us all, in the end. If we’re lucky.” 0 likes