Start by marking “Wordless Diagrams” as Want to Read:
Wordless Diagrams

Wordless Diagrams

Award-winning illustrator and graphic designer Nigel Holmes depicts the things we do every day like you've never seen them before.

Pruning a rose or building a sandcastle might seem like common activities, but when you see them visualized on paper in wordless, step-by-step diagrams, you'll discover them anew. From how to tie a knot in a cherry stem with your tongue to how t
Published April 11th 2005 by Bloomsbury USA (first published March 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wordless Diagrams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wordless Diagrams

Loyd
Aug 04, 2009 Loyd rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-arts, humor
Wordless Diagrams is a slim book of drawings that show you how to do a bunch of really obvious actions, like how to throw a bouquet or how to sit in front of a computer, the latter with which I'm sure Holmes has plenty of experience. These "diagrams" (really pictograms) are amusing, but leave you pretty empty, like a parlor trick. While I appreciate Holmes' effort in Time magazine and elsewhere to clarify complicated statistics or opaque processes, these computer-drawings feel like something don ...more
Kristin
Aug 05, 2007 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
Great coffee table book and teaching tool--I'll be using these as writing prompts for composition classes: write a "how-to" essay based on a diagram pictured in the book.
Matthew
Mar 01, 2017 Matthew rated it it was ok
Shelves: design-type-etc
An amusing throw away. Holmes’ humour comes through well in some of the diagrams (VCR, frisbee, cherry knot etc), but overall this book of wordless diagrams just shows that diagram are often better with … words. The author knows this and mentions it many times in ‘On Information Design’ so the book I best taken as a bit of fun.
Meg
Jul 19, 2008 Meg rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
You can't expect much from a tiny book of miscellaneous diagrams. Some of these were well executed, and some were pretty ho-hum. Something interesting to page through quickly in a bookstore (as was the case with me), but not something worth rereading or purchasing.
Nat
Oct 29, 2007 Nat rated it liked it
I learned how to defend myself by grabbing my assailant's hand and then punching him in the face and how to tie a scarf "European" style.
Andrew Tatge
Jul 02, 2013 Andrew Tatge rated it liked it
Quick, painless, sometimes funny. Worth reading at library, not do much a purchase
May 14, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
"Currently reading" is a bit of a misnomer since this is a book of diagrams, but so far I'm fascinated. I've learned how to pierce a tongue in a few easy steps...who's up for it?
Stephanie A
Stephanie A rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Keegan
Keegan rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Shahed
Shahed rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2009
Lisa Shaughnessy
Lisa Shaughnessy rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2012
Rob Schlapfer
Rob Schlapfer rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Kelly Armstrong
Kelly Armstrong rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Christian
Christian rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2011
See-ming Lee
See-ming Lee rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2009
Dimitri
Dimitri rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Sjoerd
Sjoerd rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Tanda
Tanda rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2008
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Raz
Raz rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2010
Ray Ogar
Ray Ogar rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2010
e
e rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2011
Tonydowler Dowler
Tonydowler Dowler rated it liked it
May 02, 2008
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2011
Alona
Alona rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2010