Start by marking “The Manituw” as Want to Read:
The Manituw

The Manituw

When researcher Robert Silsbury reaches Bonnenuit, Newfoundland, and finds his charter boat captain in jail, the British oceanographer has no idea that he's come face to face with the man who will steal his heart. At first, however, his instinct is to hire someone else for the job.

July Cyr, the illegitimate son of First Nations and white parents, barely makes a living from

Published August 8th 2010 by Amber Allure (Amber Quill Press) (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Manituw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manituw

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

This one is a good little short. It's the kind of book that you pick up when you want something fast and simple.

I enjoyed this one. Like I said, it's a quick read. The characters are likable but there's nothing remarkable about them because they are a bit vague. What's in the blurb is exactly what we get about the characters so there's not much depth to this story.

The plot that is there is a good one but, again, it's vague and in some cases it feels like what is actually happening happ
Leslie Nicoll
Aug 19, 2010 Leslie Nicoll rated it it was amazing
Good story, different setting than usual (the Gulf of St. Lawrence). I felt like there was some discontinuity in the timeline but that is a minor quibble. If you are looking for a short, good read, check this one out.
Yvonne
Jun 22, 2011 Yvonne rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Well I learned a couple things immediately upon reading this book. July Cyr is metis, which means he's of mixed blood, First Nation and White. And Canada, the land of the nice, also have their share of racist intolerant people. Disillusioned again!

Robert Silsbury an environmentalist oceanographer from merry old England & metis July Cyr meet cute --in jail. Already, we're way ahead of most m/m books in terms of originality. I like the atmosphere, the New Foundland locale & the w
Feliz
Aug 16, 2010 Feliz rated it it was amazing
A simple, heartwarming story about finding love in unlikely places.
This little novella has it all: Adventure, rough seas, humor, tragedy, sizzling eroticism, heartbreak, happiness - all within roughly 25000 words, so well written that there's nothing missing.
It reminds me a bit of E. Annie Proulx's "The Shipping News", if only for the Newfoundland Setting, but also for the fates and inbelievable hardships the people there endure without batting a lash and July Cyr's stoic, sometimes slightly s
Heller
Aug 15, 2012 Heller rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
This was a good story. Two tortured guys that find each other out on the water and connect. It was a short read, lots of angst in their backstorys that affect them in the present but they work through it. More of a HFN vs HEA but hopeful. Very descriptive writing for the area and the characters were nicely written.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I never really liked July

Found myself mostly bored reading it but other parts were good

Hpstrangelove
Aug 18, 2010 Hpstrangelove rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Ce
Oct 02, 2016 Ce rated it it was amazing
I read this via a friend who still had a copy, and felt it was worth a quick review. As a short story, m/m romance, it does what it's supposed to - build a great story in a short amount of time. And I felt Ms Jenkins included just the right amount of detail to add conflict, and show their growing connection to each other, and keep the story flowing.
In fact, the characters and action flowed so smoothly, that when my computer abruptly restarted for updates, I scrambled to pull it up on my phone b
Aug 29, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
The Manituw by Lisbeth Jenkins is set in Bonnenuit, Newfoundland. English scientist Robert goes to study the sea and sets sail with Captain July Cyr. There was loads to like about this book, the setting was beautifully written and there was plenty of angst between the characters. However, I felt the sex was a little rushed and I wondered if the story arc peaked a little early. Parts of the narrative were rather charming so I am keen to give the author another crack. Just not sure this one hit th ...more
Kathleen
Feb 21, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a short story should be

I hate short stories. So many writers who publish them fail. So it amazes me when a talented author offers us a fully realized, satisfying romance within the span of 78 pages. This is the story of two damaged men who find friendship and love aboard an old tugboat out on cold Canadian waters. Highly recommended.
Penny
Aug 23, 2010 Penny rated it really liked it
This is one of the better short stories that I've read. The character are realistically flawed, stubborn, and lovable. I'd recommend this short to any fan of m/m romance. Five stars.
Tam
Aug 23, 2010 Gaa-chan rated it it was amazing
DarienMoya

Check out my Short Review on my blog PANTS OFF REVIEWS
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2011
Ravyn
Ravyn rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2010
Cole Riann
Cole Riann rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2010
Julia514
Julia514 rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Marley
Marley rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2011
Antonella
Antonella rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2011
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Nova
Nova rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2011
Jerilin
Jerilin rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2010
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Rute
Rute rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2017
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
OkayKim
OkayKim rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Hi. I’m Lisbeth. I write romances. Male/male romances, to be exact.

My stories are sensual, exciting, character-driven gay romances. I love to write about strong men facing difficult circumstances and finding love in the strangest places. Hot, sexy, passionate, complex – just the way a romance should be.

If you follow my blog feed you’ll find news and information about my books and ebooks, and the o
More about Lisbeth Jenkins...