Start by marking “Oil Spill!: Disaster in the Gulf of Mexico” as Want to Read:
Oil Spill!: Disaster in the Gulf of Mexico

Oil Spill!: Disaster in the Gulf of Mexico

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico that began on April 20, 2010, may be the worst environmental disaster in U.S. history. In Oil Spill! Disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, prolific nonfiction writer and Florida resident Elaine Landau gives young readers the essential facts about the spill. This book will chronicle the spills beginning as well as efforts to stop it (including ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Millbrook Press (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Oil Spill!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oil Spill!

Lindsay
This book details the 2010 BP oil rig leak in the Gulf of Mexico. Fantastic illustrations, photographs, and maps help to tell the story of the tragic environmental disaster and its aftermath.

The factual content of this book puts it in the informational book genre. Opinions and judgements are not expressed regarding the disaster, though the book does encourage readers to consider ways in which these types of disasters could be prevented. These suggestions are being passed on to the reader from sc
Heidi
The strengths of this book include the clear writing, the diagrams, and most of the photographs. The cover is especially powerful I think. I also appreciated the map which aids the reader in understanding just how big the disaster was/is. The brief history of past oil spills that helps put this disaster in perspective and allows the reader compare this oil spill to others of a similar size. This could also lead to research into recovery strategies. The glossary, source notes, index, and further ...more
Karen Ball
Review copy from Lerner Publishing

April 2010: The Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, about 50 miles off of the Louisiana coast. Eleven crew members died, and seventeen others were injured. The giant drilling rig burned for two days before it sank into the Gulf, but the worst damage was yet to come: the pipe from the oil well in the sea floor had broken and was leaking massive amounts of poisonous, thick oil. Ten days after the accident, the oil spill was the size of t
Riley Conway
Oil Spill! Disaster in the Gulf of Mexico is a new non-fiction book by Elaine Landau that chronicles the Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico last year. It’s broken into several sections that cover the explosion, stoppage of the leak, the devastating affects on sea life and local economies, and suggestions for what concerned readers can do.

Landau does an excellent job of illustrating that there were no quick, neat, or easy solutions. Stopping the leak and conducting th
Amanda Snow
Originally published at: www.apatchworkofbooks.com

I've been waiting for a great book to be published about last year's Gulf oil spill and Elaine Landau has done a fantastic job with this one. The bold, in-your-face cover is an immediate introduction to what readers will find inside the book, which is chock full of great info.

The oil spill back in April of 2010 was the biggest spill in the history of the United States and thus deserves an in-depth explanation of how it happened, what trauma it c
Becky
A well done explanation for children of the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. This book is good, but it is already dated because much of it was written as the spill was happening. The book needs a final chapter about what has happened in the years since the spill.
Melissa
I was impressed with this book. It articulates a very complicated issue at a level young children (Hank is 5) can understand without skipping over details. We would have liked to see more pictures, particularly pictures of the robots that were sent down to work on repairing the blow-out preventer. We have read this book twice already and I'm sure we will read it again a few more times before we return it to the library-- a positive measure of a good non-fiction children's book in my view!
babyhippoface
The Deepwater Horizon oil spill is explained for young readers in this non-fiction picture book. Loads of photos and illustrations create interest. Although it's really too long to read in one sitting in a classroom, it's still a useful resource to help kids understand "the big deal" about the situation. Elementary libraries will want to add this book to their shelves.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
This book rather dispassionately details the events surrounding the BP Oil spill during the spring and summer of 2009. It is good at giving basic facts and pictures and diagrams explaining what happened. I think in some respects it strives to be to even handed and fails to show the scale of the disaster that this spill was for people and animal life.
Leigh
Graphic recounting of how horrible oil spills are. Good citations, further reading, maps, photographs and good writing make this a excellent source for homework or just learning about the dark side of our addiction to petroleum.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2011 Lisa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: juv
This book could use more compound and complex sentences. It reads too much like a news report.
PWRL
Jul 12, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Ali Naji
Ali Naji marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Ashley Adams
Ashley Adams marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Kelly Lestock
Kelly Lestock marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Alok Sarma
Alok Sarma marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Daniela Pinzon
Daniela Pinzon marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Hernan
Hernan marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Erica
Erica added it
Nov 13, 2012
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Heroine of the Titanic: The Real Unsinkable Molly Brown John F. Kennedy, Jr We Survived the Holocaust Popcorn! The Moon