Start by marking “In Zoey's Head: A Novel” as Want to Read:
In Zoey's Head:  A Novel

In Zoey's Head: A Novel (In Zoey's Head #1)

In Zoey’s Head is a humorous, spiritual story about a radio announcer who copes with life by attaching songs, movies, and TV sitcoms to her reality. After a week of surprises and tragedies, she discovers her namesake is more than a foot-reading gypsy and God is, in fact, answering her questions.
Published by CreateSpace (first published August 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In Zoey's Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Zoey's Head

Michael Tucker
Sep 13, 2012 Michael Tucker rated it really liked it
Eleven year-old Zoey is curled into a chair that she refers to as her escape pod, which then catapults her into the middle of road and a near encounter with disaster. From there her story races to Zoey as a successful radio program manager, telling her life history to her new, but comatose, boyfriend. The reminiscence is touching: a 13-year-old’s first kiss, a picnic date at an abandoned drive-in theater, yellow boxer shorts with smiley faces. Ms. Ward Bell’s use of this dialogue with a man in a ...more
Becky Ann
Dec 01, 2012 Becky Ann rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I wouldn’t exactly call myself spiritual and because of this I was slightly concerned that the inclusion of faith in the storyline would make it something I couldn’t relate to. I however, found the spiritual aspects of the plot to be both inspiring and fascinating and wholeheartedly believe they added to the overall warm feeling of the novel. In Zoey’s Head is a book that will make you laugh, cry but perhaps best of all make you think. I found myself not only connecting with ...more
Nichole
Jun 01, 2012 Nichole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I just adored this book!
First off, I didn't think it would be dealing with God & spirituality as much as it did, and normally I wouldn't pick up a book of this sort knowing what it was about. With that said, I won this as a first read and I am SO glad I just jumped right in to it. I loved the character Zoey, and her stories and memories were vivid & easy to picture. I enjoyed her "boyfriend" and her best friend character, and also the work relationships she had.
A few of the minor peopl
Ratkin
Oct 17, 2010 Ratkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won, first-reads
If you read my list of books, you'll quickly discover that this book simply doesn't fit in well. I don't normally do witty and heartwarming. Mysteries, Thrillers, Urban Fantasy...yes. Witty and Heartwarming...no. So why did I read it? I won it. Why did I enter to win it? I love music, and was interested in the part about attaching songs to the events in her life.

I glad that I entered, and I'm thrilled that I won. This is a truly wonderful book, and I would heartily recommend it to just about any
Lesley
May 25, 2011 Lesley rated it it was amazing
In Zoey's Head is a wonderful novel. Creatively colorful characters and pop culture make this book an absolute great read. The narration of Zoey expressing her thoughts and feelings is outstanding. The truth that lies behind the actual realities of her childhood reminds us all that there is room to grow and change. In Zoey's head fiction meets fact and and the under lying tone that God is everywhere.
Holly Christine
Sep 08, 2010 Holly Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Zoey's Head follows one woman through a rough patch in life. She rediscovers herself while unraveling bits of her past that have shaped her present. She's fun, quirky, and endearing. Zoey is a DJ and is a victim of her generation. She relates life to movies and music. I fell in love with Zoey in the first chapter and finished the book in one sitting. Zoey's head is a fun and enlightening place to be. Highly recommended.
Rebecca Reardon
Sep 08, 2010 Rebecca Reardon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In Zoey's Head" is a sparkling first novel from ex-radio personality Sandy Ward Bell. The story is also set in the radio industry, with the lead character, Zoey, negotiating her way through it all with a bonafide musical soundtrack to guide her. This is a story of romance, spirituality and family drama all edged with the vibrant humor and wit of Zoey, who is staring in the radio drama of her own life. The characters are believable and fun, and this book smacks of truth.
Gail Kowalczyk
Jun 25, 2011 Gail Kowalczyk rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! Kept me enthralled and I could do nothing else for 2 days until I found out what happened to Tony, UncleICharlie & especially Zoey!!! I would love a sequel!
steven
Mar 07, 2013 steven rated it it was ok
This is not typically a genre I read.

When I saw the back cover, I was intrigued. Usually, the back of the book is written about the premise of the story: how things are going to get started. I think this is the first time in which the write-up on the back was a complete synopsis of the book.

The part that piqued my interest was the bit where it says Zoey learns that God's answering her prayers. Sill me; I thought that meant directly, which would have a whole slew of fascinating consequences.

Inste
Lynde
Sep 25, 2012 Lynde rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads
This book was pretty good. I enjoyed the parts when Zoey was a kid a lot more than grown up Zoey. The adult Zoey seemed juvenile & a bit flaky-which worked for her as a child, but not so much for her as an adult. I really didn't get the storyline of the book. Was it a search for faith, what had happen to Uncle Charlie, & WTH happened to Joey??? Too much that was left out & uncovered. I did enjoy the 80's references:) I really wanted to love the book with it's awesome cover & ...more
Katie
Apr 27, 2013 Katie rated it it was ok
In my opinion, there wasn't much of a storyline here. I wanted to read this book because the description noted the main character used movie and song lyric references to enhance her feelings and emotions. I love that idea and was excited for these references. However, I found them to be cliche and they didn't do much at all to enhance the plot or characters. It was a quick read, but not one I'd recommend to friends due to lack of substance and excessive preachiness (which I wasn't expecting at ...more
Courtney
Oct 07, 2013 Courtney rated it did not like it
This book just could not hold my interest. I found myself picking it up and it taking me a few pages to get myself to remember what had happened the last time I read. It was kind of all over the place to me. I won't remember reading this in no time. It felt like a book that could have really used a better editor.
K
K rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
May 11, 2012
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
May 26, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Christinie
Christinie rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Cody
Cody rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Danielle Mizia
Danielle Mizia rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Debbie Holbrook
Debbie Holbrook rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2011
Jess
Jess rated it did not like it
Jan 19, 2012
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2014
Rob Bell
Rob Bell rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2013
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Jeanette Higbe
Jeanette Higbe rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Zoey Gomarlo
Zoey Gomarlo rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Rachel Davis
Rachel Davis rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2015
  • Short Bus
  • Legend of a Ninja: Beneath the Shadows
  • Blubber Island
  • The Birds on the Trees
From radio announcer to wife and mother to writer. I'm a book club nutter with a passion for all forms of storytelling. Living in New York and Georgia and Maryland and Pennsylvania and Tennessee, has been very inspirational. My first novel, In Zoey's Head, reflects my experience with the media and pop culture. My second book, Parked at the Mansfields', highlights my appreciation for Jane Austen's ...more
More about Sandy Ward Bell...

“The powerful chords that emanated from the radio heated me from the inside out, like a microwave.” 3 likes