Dork in Disguise

Dork in Disguise

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Last year, Jerry Flack was a dork. So this year, at a new school in a new town, he's decided to start a new life altogether--as a Cool Kid. He's been preparing all summer: studying teen magazines, acquiring hair gel, and distressing his jeans. Things get off to a good start, and before you know it, Jerry's in, Rollerblading with the pros. But soon, Jerry finds himself tang...more
Published August 8th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published September 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dork in Disguise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dork in Disguise

Arch
I liked this book, because it has a strong message in it.

This book is about a dork named Jerry. He and his family moved to a new city and he started a new school. Because, of him being called a dork at his old school, he didn't want to be labeled as a dork at his new school, so he wanted to change his image. He wanted to become a cool dude. He even went as far as to taking off his glasses and walking around in danger field b.k.a. can't hardly see.

On his first day of school, he was called out by...more
Bill
You’re moving to a new school and you are going to try to do everything to change your image – I mean, at your old school everyone called you a dork – why?

Because you’re smart and you’re interested in science and like to hang out with the smart kids – you know – maybe you’ve done it yourself.

But the first person he meets is another smart kid – a girl – and she says she will help you become cool.

But it’s tough, and you start telling a lot of lies – like – what a great inline skater you are – and...more
Julia Nashif
Every middle schooler (and older, I'll bet) should read this book.

Thank you, NetGalley and Open Road Integrated Media, for this free book to review!

What I liked:

1. Jerry is a protagonist that could relate to a lot of people. Who doesn't want to be cool?

2. He does things outside of school, such as science projects, teaching his dog how to collect newspapers, ect. His world doesn't revolve around school drama.

What I didn't like:

1. I wish Cinnamon could have been put in her place. She needs to real...more
Devin D.
Dork! What would you do if every day of your life you would hear that word? Well Jerry the main character makes a plan when he goes to a new school, to be a cool guy. Carol Gorman did an outstanding job on his book Dork in Disguise. He has been studying up for the first day of school reading magazines, watching music videos, and even reading web pages. His problem is he is a dork and he can't change that. On the first day of school he meets the love of his life the most popular girl Cinnamon bu...more
Lauren Kramer
An underdog story that keeps you smiling. Jerry Flask has recently moved and has decided that this year for school he is going to be "cool." Previously knowing that he was a dork in his old school, Jerry does all of his research and observations on what it means to be cool, and he pulls it off. Jerry starts stumbling in the beginning of the school year, trying to remember everything that would make him look cool. Eventually, however, Jerry actually does get the cool kids at his school to take a...more
Kristine Kouba
Plot Summary - Jerry Flack is the new kid in town. At his old school, he was considered a dork, but at his new school, he wants to be cool. He has spent a lot of time studying magazines, TV shows, gelling his hair and trying to be cool. At his new school, he knows he needs to be on guard at all times and not give away his cool guy disguise. He knows he needs to talk cool, dress cool, look cool and talk to cool people. He tries to get attention from Cinnamon, a popular girl. Brenda introduces her...more
Widad Hussein
This book, Dork in Disguise was really fun to read. Even though its lexile level is 510, this is definitely a book for upper elementary kids between 3-5th grade. The main characters are Jerry and his friend Brenda. The setting takes place between his school and home. This is a 4rd point of view, from the reader's view. This book is about 6th grade Jerry who is seen as a nerdy dork. When his family decided to move, Jerry took the opportunity to disguise himself as someone cool so he can fit in at...more
Taylor
This Book ... is an ok Book i didn't really enjoy that much this book wasn't my taste in books.It didn't really make any emotions for me some parts were funny some parts were just dumb.But some parts of this book reminded me of myself. When i used to try to be the cool kid but ended up still being up the stupid one.I would recommend this book to kids who like dumb and funny books.

The main character is Jerry Flack he moved from a different school.He was Disguised as a "Cool Guy" at Nathaniel Ha...more
Matti Karjalainen
"Jerry, hurmaava hikke" (WSOY, 2001) kertoo uudessa koulussa aloittavasta Jerrystä, joka haluaisi jättää nörttivuodet taakseen ja hengailla sen sijaan coolien ja suosittujen oppilaiden kanssa - etenkin kun kaunis, joskin sanavarastoltaan hieman rajoittunut Cinnamon kuuluu heidän joukkoonsa. Tiikerin on kuitenkin vaikea päästä juovistaan, mutta onneksi Jerryn "lajitoveri", tiedekerhoon kuuluva ja aina yhtä ystävällinen Brenda lupautuu auttamaan siirtymäriitissä. Siitä huolimatta Jerry tuntee liik...more
Zach Naegele
In this story Jerry Flack is starting a new school, and a new self image. At his old school Jerry was a science dork, and in truth, he still is. Now Jerry’s goal is to be a cool kid at his new school. Jerry’s first new friend is Brenda, and while she isn’t considered cool, she helps to make Jerry into what he so desires. To become cool, Jerry tells lies, gets into trouble, destroys his clothes, and even gets hurt in the process. Jerry’s love for science overwhelms him and he joins the science te...more
Julie Pfeiffer
Jerry is a 6th grade student at a new school. He is hoping to shed his "dork" image. This is a heartfelt book about a young boy that wants desperately to fit in. He wants to be part of the "cool" group. Through his efforts and the help of a "true" friend, Brenda, Jerry gets to the point to where he fits in and gets the girl. However, when he finally gets what he thinks he wants he realizes that it's not all he had anticipated. Jerry realizes that he can be himself and still fit in. This book is...more
Sara
Cute- reminded me of the 6th grade version of that 80s flick "Some Kind of Wonderful"
Jasmina
A book about finding out who you are and how you want others to see you. Really liked it overall. Writing a proper review later.
Sarah Time
Dork in disguise was a very good book. Although I read this book some time ago, I still remember most of the book. It's about a boy who moved to a new school and wants to fit in and be cool this time around. With the help of a girl who knows who he really is (a nerd) Greg makes his way up he popular list. But as he reaches the very top, and wins the most popular girl's heart, Greg realizes he doesn't need to be popular, because there's someone who likes him for his nerdy self.
Kelsie
I think that this book was good because he is a funny charaicter. He does a lot of funny things like trip over a ladder and some other things. Jerry the character in the book is really a nerd but he tries to be cool and hang out with other kids who are not nerds. But in the end he tries to tell his friends that he is a nerd. I would Recomend this book to anyone who needs a good laugh.
Nicole
I gave this book 3 star because it was good at times but it got boring at times. My favorite part of the book was when the boy named Jerry smashed into a tree and got a black eye. He was trying to be cool but he didn’t know how to roller skate and some kids asked if he would want to roller skate down a hill and he said “sure”. So he did. And that’s how he got a black eye.
Sara ♥
This was a really cute book about a kid who's going into the 6th grade and is moving to a new town, so he decides to revamp his image. Goodbye DORK, hello Cool Kid!

I thought it was really adorable—Jerry was funny and smart and cute, though it takes him a WHILE to realize that your best bet is to just BE YOURSELF! Always a lovely message, ESPECIALLY for kids that age! :)
Stacy Natal
Alexia and I read this one together. She was enraptured with Jerry's quest for cooldom and figured out partway through that Brenda liked him for who he was, and therefore was the better friend.

Alexia:

It's a hilarious book. It's about friends and about being yourself.

Papi says: I don't want my daughter reading about boyfriends and girlfriends yet!
Homer Simpson
I like this book because it is funny an silly. Jerry has been studying all summer to be cool and not like the dork he was in is old school. Jerry has read all the cool magazines, watched all the music videos, and even snooped on a few blogs to get a feel of how the cool people are. will he manage to be cool, or will he be dumped back in the depths of dorkiness.
Jenny
I've been reading a lot of the books my boys bring home and this is obviously another one. Jerry has moved to a new town and is determined not to be a dork any longer. He's studied all summer and now he's going to be cool. With a little help from a new friend he's well on his way. But is being cool actually better than being a dork?
Tommy
Oct 07, 2008 Tommy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dorks who want to be cool
Recommended to Tommy by: my mom
This book is about a dork who moved to another state and wanted to be cool,and it works out for a little while but he meets this girl who is a dork to so he falls in love with her and decides to be a dork for the rest of his life.If.........You........need..........any........more........infermation............READ THE BOOK!
lisa
Sweet, fun children's book relating the story of 6th grader Jerry Flack as he struggles to disguise himself as a "cool" kid at his new school. Great moral about letting yourself just be who you really are. (But I wonder if he kept the ripped jeans and cool swagger. I'll have to read the next book!)
Misty
One of those books that makes your kid want to read! I didn't actually read this book but was read this book by my son. We have had a really hard time finding book that he will actually read and this one was a winner. Actually pretty funny and was really well written. Enjoyed listening to it.
Rebecca
I am almost dsone with this really good book you gotta read it!!!! It is about a boy who used to be dorky and he put him self in a cool disguise. To impress a girl it is working so far but it is getting harder. To find out more read the book Dork In Disguise!!!!!!!!!
Brigham Prince
This is a fun book that I think has a good story line. I like how he tries to be cool and does all these things to fit in, but he ends up excepting himself and embraces his inner dork. I can relate...(but i'm not very good at hiding my dorky side)...
Jacob H.
this book is fun to read it is real and has alot of real life detail. it is not the book that i would tell every one but if u are looking for a book that is more like real life but still has some fake funny ideas then this is the book for u.
Ms Threlkeld
Aug 29, 2008 Ms Threlkeld rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6th graders
A funny and authentic book about a 6th grade students struggling to fit in at his new middle school. I have been reading this to my students for a few years and they always enjoy it and can relate to the subject matter.
Kathrina
Local author, cute (but kinda predictable) story about being true to yourself. And, there's kissing.
Tayler
this book is an awesome one u should read it. Also its ar soo yeah and there is two other oness
Omgitspoppingina
It was mah summer reading book...I only chose i cuz it was the shortest one...but it was ok.....
What's The Name o...: Children's book about a nerdy kid with glasses [s] 3 29 Jun 27, 2013 05:43PM
Carol Gorman is an Iowa-born writer of over 22 books published under her name or the pseudonym, Jane Ballard. She has devoted much of her writing to mystery and suspense novels for children, and has also worked as a ghost writer for other authors.

She originally aspired to be an actress, and while studying at the University of Iowa, was cast in the lead of both West Side Story and Peter Pan. After...more
More about Carol Gorman...
Games Stumptown Kid Dork on the Run A Midsummer Night's Dork Chelsey and the Green-Haired Kid