I Won't Comb My Hair

I Won't Comb My Hair

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Tanya is about to have a very-bad-hair day!

It’s easy to tell when Tanya doesn’t want to do something. “I WON’T!” she screams, so loudly that the whole neighborhood can hear. And there is one thing Tanya really doesn’t want to do. She WILL NOT EVER comb her hair....more
Published September 1st 2010 by NorthSouth

Megan Baker
I Won't Comb My Hair is a picture book intended for nursery or primary readers. In this book, Tonya, a young girl doesn't ever want to brush her hair. Her hair gets so wild and tangles that she begins to hear animals living in her hair. She decides that she doesn't want a jungle in her hair so she decides to comb it. Once she starts combing her hair she doesn't ever want to stop.
I rated this book with three stars because it was creative but it did not catch my attention. The illustrations in t...more
Heather
My 4 yo daughter who doesn't like to & won't brush her hair really liked this book as she could relate to the main character. She loves the look of the girl's hair as it looks like a forest of trees and loves the idea of all of those animals living in her hair. This book will not make your child want to comb their hair, but I think it overall says it's OK if she doesn't want to...and that she will one day want to comb her hair when *she* feels that it is important to do so. Kind of a "this t...more
The Library Lady
A gimmicky cover usually means something is less than wonderful about the book, and it's true here.
The art is attractive--and it's nice to see that Tanya is bi-racial, but the prose is limp--badly translated from the original German perhaps. Moreover, this story has already been done, as inElla Kazoo Will Not Brush Her Hair and several other such books, with almost exactly the same results.

And if either book gets your kid to comb their hair, e-mail me. It sure wouldn't have convinced either of...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
This book was first published in German, and I think some of the magic was maybe lost in translation maybe?

I think that this book's didacticism is a little too much. I like that the girl appears to be biracial, but the story itself is weak and kids will see right through the propaganda.

Kids will like the illustrations of the things living in her hair, but will not buy into the message.

Kirsten
Cute premise and I loved the cover with it's holographic picture of Tanya's hair growing into bird-laden tree branches. However, not my cup of tea all in all, I thought the story was lacking and the miniature panthers and parrots was a bit too much even for a whack job like me.
Briana
Feb 02, 2011 Briana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents.
The main character annoyed me, like most children do. However, I would definitely recommend this book to parents struggling with children who don't want to brush their hair. Even non-struggling parents...the story seems like it would be a great deterrent.
Stefani
Fun book about a girl who doesn't comb her hair, so a jungle forms on her head!

Great story for kids who have thick hair, which is often painful to comb. I also liked that it looked like her parents were biracial, but neither had textured hair like Tanya.
Kim
Jan 27, 2011 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I like this book's imagery and the fact that the main character appears to be bi-racial. A little long for a story time for me, but it might work.
Jamie
This is an okay book. I would mostly use it for fun and entertainment. You could read the book aloud and have children illustrate as you read.
Jaime
May 22, 2011 Jaime added it
This is great for my daughter who doesn't always like to fully comb out her tangles. Cute and imaginative story.
BeastBoy
This one didn't sit right with me, didn't like the overall tone. Maybe something was lost in translation?
Shannon Kitchen
This is like many books I've read before, but it's cute and it has some good illustrations.
Ruth
I read this to my Pre-School Story Time group and they loved it and so did their parents.
Jean-Marie
3 stars for the illustrations. Otherwise it was just okay.
Alayna Jensen
This book was HILARIOUS!
Toral
Toral marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2013
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2012
pa'tí m
pa'tí m marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2012
Holly
Holly added it
Jul 07, 2012
Letters from Felix: A Little Rabbit on a World Tour with Envelope Abenteuerliche Briefe von Felix Neue Briefe von Felix. Ein kleiner Hase reist durch die Vergangenheit. Weihnachtsbriefe von Felix. Ein kleiner Hase besucht den Weihnachtsmann. Weltbeste Briefe von Felix. Ein kleiner Hase fliegt rund um die Welt. ( Ab 5 J.).