Start by marking “Chieftain (Border, #3)” as Want to Read:
Chieftain (Border, #3)

Chieftain (Border #3)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  365 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A MAN'S YEARNING FOR FREEDOM
After seven years in the Tower of London, the infamous Highland Chieftain Drummond Macqueen saw his prison door swing open. He swore to seek revenge on the faithless bride who had betrayed him. Yet the wife he encountered seemed like a stranger -- defiant, lovely, and inexplicably changed.

A WOMAN'S DESPERATE GAMBLE
At the death of her twin sist
Published April 1st 1994 by Pocket (first published January 1st 1994)

Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Bride by Julie GarwoodThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
248th out of 469 books — 1,688 voters
The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
194th out of 465 books — 794 voters

More lists with this book...

Miranda Davis
Jul 04, 2013 Miranda Davis rated it really liked it
This was pretty fun to read, though a few recurring themes/grudges/assumptions carried on too long IMO, or perhaps were mentioned too frequently for it to be a rollicking, who-is-she and what-the-hell-happened-while-I-was-gone read. 3.5 stars. Also no kilts, but no deduction due to my assumption, leghose can be hot, too.

The story involves some great weaving in of 12th century historical figures (not 'present' in the story but influential on events) and a switched-at-death premise that kept me re
Karen
Oct 28, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Unravelling royal secrets that have lead to degradation, shunning & a woman stepping into her dying sister's life.

I admired the strength, courage & intelligence of Johanna. The way she took on the mantel of responsibilities & made a loving haven & profitable concern. I particularly like her method of dispute settlement

I realise that Drummond may have cause for rancor towards his wife's infidelity but he can hold a grudge. His highhandedness when he admits Johanna's stewardess has
Susan
Sep 08, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Very good storytelling. Loved the story and characters. This is one of those 'old-time' authors which I used to read when I first starting reading romances. Since it was written awhile back, it reads a bit differently than those of today and I really enjoyed it. Plus the setting - Scotland - was a nice change of place to visit.

I haven't been able to get through a romance book for MONTHS, but thanks to Ms. Lamb - wherever she may be - I'm finding my interest in them rekindled! :)
Lucimar
Sep 17, 2014 Lucimar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gemeas, engano
Uma história sensível sobre as gemeas Johanna e Clare, que não sabem que pertecem a nobreza da Escócia e cujas vidas são decididas pelo rei Inglês. Quando Clare morre acidentalmente, Johanna a substitui para continuar nas terras e cuidar do filho de Clare. Mas tudo se complica quando um dia Drummond- o esposo de Clare,- reaparece e a quem todos sabiam que estava morto. Johanna recorre a todas suas artes para manter a farsa, já que Drummond não sabia da existência dela, mas enganar a Drummond no ...more
Arlenis
Feb 21, 2014 Arlenis rated it liked it
Me pareció que fue un libro que prometía, sin embargo no lo logro del todo. La narración estuvo bien y el argumento también, sin embargo la forma en que se desenvolvió la historia fue mala, a mi parecer. El modo en que todo era un secreto, un misterio y luego de repente el protagonista simplemente descubre todo por suposiciones, no hubo nada que se lo confirmara mas que unas vagas declaraciones de la protagonista. Hubieron escenas muy relleno, como que la autora no supo que mas hacer. Ademas el ...more
AnnHoward
Oct 11, 2012 AnnHoward rated it it was amazing
Please release these as eBooks!!!!!!!!!!
Katya
Jul 28, 2011 Katya rated it really liked it
Shelves: highland-romance
Andrea Powers smith
Okay

Okay

I like the story line of the twin girls but the entire book was spent with the heroine being deceptive. Good dialogue but storyline could have been better.
Diana
Mar 07, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it
Clare is forced into an affair with the Scottish prince to protect her husband, but earns his scorn and his death sentence. Dying herself, Clare begs her identical twin sister Johanna to take her place and raise her son. Now seven years later, Johanna is shocked when Drummond returns.

Amazingly, the whole 'taking her sister's place' scenario doesn't lead to any bad blood or mistrust between Johanna and Drummond. That in itself is a novelty. However, this just seemed a little on the bland side.
Lizzie
I can hardly admit this was my first book of 2015. Corny silly nonsense, but kind of fun in a faux-angsty way. Suspend all disbelief- in the first five pages a medieval prioress refers to a spinal injury- but enjoy the big understanding and dramatic arguments between the protagonists.
Sam
Mandy
Jul 12, 2013 Mandy rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of switching places books. They create all sorts of mayhem you just can't get any other way.

It's a sweet love story about forgiveness.
Mm
Mm rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Tricia Lenhart
Tricia Lenhart rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Mildred U Delaney
Mildred U Delaney rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Isabela
Isabela rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Gwyndolyn Morneault
Gwyndolyn Morneault rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Andria
Andria added it
Mar 31, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Iris
Iris rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Carolyn Bancook
Carolyn Bancook rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Birgit
Birgit marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Aisha Colon
Aisha Colon rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Anissa Nieves
Anissa Nieves rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
wolfgang a mueller
wolfgang a mueller rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SOLVED - Heroine claiming child as her own 32 91 Jun 25, 2014 10:08AM
  • The Witch and the Warrior (Warriors, #2)
  • Lady Of The Knight (Knights, #3;  The Brocade #4)
  • The Pleasure of Her Kiss (Gentlemen Rogues, #1)
  • Conquer The Night (Graham, #2)
  • From Waif to Gentleman's Wife (Wellingfords, #4)
  • The Truelove Bride
  • The Last Bachelor (Mistress, #1)
  • The Magnificent Rogue
  • The Blue Viking (Viking I, #5)
  • Highland Warrior
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • What the Heart Knows
  • Crooked Hearts
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • The Black Rose
  • The Star-Crossed Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #2)
  • His Secret Duchess
  • Where the Heart Is
Arnette Lamb was an American writer of 13 romance novels from 1995 to 1998. She was born in 1947 in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A. and she died prematurely from cancer on September 18, 1998. Her funeral service was held in the Rothko Chapel in Houston, Texas.
More about Arnette Lamb...

Border (4 books)
  • Border Lord (Border, #1)
  • Border Bride (Border, #2)
  • Maiden of Inverness (Border, #4)