Start by marking “The Inheritance of Beauty” as Want to Read:
The Inheritance of Beauty

The Inheritance of Beauty

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Beauty, like truth, is enduring. But only one can set you free.

MAGGIE BLACK CAME OF AGE in the lush, fragrant lowcountry of South Carolina--spending her days with her beloved brother and the boy she would grow up to marry. But when a stranger arrived one summer, Maggie couldn't imagine the evil he would bring with him. And though she escaped with her life, the ramification
Published February 8th 2011 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Inheritance of Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inheritance of Beauty

Jenny O.
Title: The Inheritance of Beauty

Author: Nicole Seitz

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

320 pages

As a granddaughter of a man with advanced Alzheimer's, I've sat across the table from him many times and been crushed by the visage of a back bent with age, eyes cloudy with cataracts, and hands trembling from over-exertion. My grandfather was a legend in his own right, dashingly handsome and charismatic beyond measure. And sadly, I only saw sparse vestiges of this throughout my lifetime. I've relied mostly on
I feel like any words I say about this book will be so inadequate. It's just that books like this rarely cross my path, maybe because I don't go out of my way to read them. What kind of book is that? Part sadness, part pain, while also moving slowly, but deliberately. Then, when I get my hands on a book like this, it always ends up that I love it or hate it. Hardly does it fall somewhere in between.

The Inheritance of Beauty was a book that definitely fell on the "loved it" side of the equation.
Seventy five percent of this book was great. It's all about the interactions of four young people in North Carolina in 1929. Then, the author presents these same people as 90 year old residents in an assisted living situation. First the good. I think the author did a marvelous job of expressing the thoughts of elderly people. Because I have a parent in a nursing home, I spend a lot of time interacting with the residents. One thing is very clear to me. If you look beyond all of the wheel chairs, ...more
Samantha Glasser
George and Maggie Jacobs are living in an old folk's home. Maggie cannot speak or control her body due to a stroke, and George wonders if she even recognizes him anymore. His loneliness causes him to reflect on their past, especially when they were children in a town called Levy. These reminisces are enhanced by a new man at the home. George hasn't seen Joe since he was ten years old, about eighty-years ago. Seeing that face recalls secrets he forgot about long ago.

This book is a quick read. The
Apr 13, 2011 Janell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoyed Fried Green Tomatoes or historical southern fiction.
I read The Inheritance of Beauty in two sittings. The story drew me in with its historic South Carolina Lowcountry embrace and wouldn't let me go until I emerged, both smiling and tearful, at the end of the story. "Inheritance" is reminiscent of Fried Green Tomatoes - high praise from me, as "Tomatoes" is one of my all-time favorite and beloved books.

I can't wait to discover more books from Nicole Seitz. I have a feeling I'll enjoy her other books every bit as much as this one (at least, I hope
Beckie Wendorf
Secrets exact a toll. Even after eighty years. The Inheritance of Beauty follows the revealing of secrets in the lives of George and Maggie Jacobs. Maggie has suffered a series of strokes and no one is sure what she understands. And then strange gifts start arriving. Forcing George to deal with their checkered past and events that changed the course of the lives of four young people in 1929.

This book was a pager turner. I’ve never been a fan of books that jump back and forth between present time
This was a very interesting novel. I enjoyed the concept of beginning the story at the end of these characters lives. They are all old, forgetful and dying -aren't we all - but they are connected from childhood. This story weaves their childhood into their current lives and manages to tell a warm story of love, family and forgiveness.Not something I would generally pick up, yet I am glad I had the opportunity to read this.
I would really rate this book as a 3 1/2 stars if possible. I think the author did an excellent job of portraying the reality of an aging body housing the mind and spirit of who that person was and still is.
Sep 29, 2015 Amy added it
I really, really liked this one. It was sad and heartbreaking at times, but with redemption and closure that made it all the more beautiful. I'll definitely be reading more from Nicole Seitz.
Amanda Ishtayeh
This was a great read with a mysterious twist as well as supernatural. I enjoyed it!
Kelley Bigger
Loved this book. I was so sad at the end. I miss Maggie!
Kara Hunt
The Inheritance of Beauty by Nicole Seitz is an enchanting tale of true love, growing loss, forgiveness and memories of long ago. Memories which stem from four childhood friends, two of whom are siblings, whose lives were forever changed by one man in the lowcountry of South Carolina.

Ash and Magnolia Black, brother and sister grew up in the lush countrylands of 1929 Levy, South Carolina with their friend George Jacobs. Soon after, they were briefly joined by childhood genius Joe Stackhouse, a y
I have always had affection for novels that are set in the South, especially those set in the South Carolina low country. It is the perfect backdrop for a story like The Inheritance of Beauty. Despite the beauty and serenity of the setting and the seemingly peaceful childhood of Maggie and George, darkness is a constant in their lives. They come face to face with that darkness many years later and must finally deal with it.

This story goes back and forth from the 1920s to present day with letter
Beth Anne
i received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway and I am so happy that I did.

this is the story of a couple living in an old age home...who's lives get shaken up by reminders and memories from the past. a simple package delivered to them starts a journey through history...and opens up a story that you can't even imagine.

as the story unfolded...through letters, flashbacks, and memories...i found myself trying to figure out the mysteries and secrets that each of the characters held inside them fo
I had high hopes when I started reading The Inheritance of Beauty by Nicole Seitz, published by Thomas Nelson. The story promised to be a bit of mystery, a bit of love, and a bit of bittersweet as the aged characters, George and Maggie, relived their past in memories. With the book published by Thomas Nelson, a Christian publishing powerhouse, I also expected a story that pointed to redemption through Christ.

George and Maggie reside in a nursing home. Maggie is surrendering to Alzheimer’s Diseas
I got a free copy of this from Book Sneeze to review. I am under no obligation to write a positive review, just an honest one.

Most of the books I have received from Book Sneeze have been positive experiences for me. The Inheritance of Beauty however, was not.

I tried and tried to like the book. I kept reading more and more no matter how much I couldn't get into it, and I just could never connect with the story.

The story is about Maggie and her husband George and an evil that arrived in their town
Melanie Coombes
George Jacobs and his childhood sweetheart Maggie, along with her brother Ash, were just kids living in small-town Levy, SC, when the train brought a magician and Joe Stackhouse into town. What happens next changes all of their lives forever. Eighty years later, George and Maggie are spending their remaining days in a nursing home. After a mysterious package arrives, followed by a new resident at the nursing home whose identity haunts them, Maggie and George are forced to remember a past they'd ...more
At the age of 92 and 90, George and Maggie Jacobs are spending the rest of their days at Harmony House nursing home in South Caroline. Since the last time Maggie attacked by the stroke, she hardly talk to anyone. George and Maggie have known each other from birth and have been growing up together, with Maggie's brother, Ash, in Levy. George has been fall in love with Maggie since he was very young and at the age of 92, he still loves his wife very much.

One day, a mysterious package arrives, foll
Maggie and George are living out their declining years in the peace of Harmony House, ably cared for by the wonderful Annie who is quite sure, despite Maggie’s seeming distance, that the silent woman in the wheelchair is “still there.” George just wishes his wife would sometimes recognize him. And the stranger, Joe, who arrives one summer, seems to have no wishes at all.

Nicole Seitz portrays these characters wonderfully in her novel, The Inheritance of Beauty. Beautiful Maggie slips seamlessly f
This book was kind of different somehow. The time kept switching back and forth between past and present, which I've run into in a number of books. The "voice" also switches back and forth between this couple, another older man who arrives at the center, and their warm-hearted black caretaker. There is also a deceased person who is the narrator sometimes. It's all labeled as far as time and who is currently narrating, so I didn't find that confusing. The present is set in an assisted living cent ...more
Good book -- it was compelling, and an easy, entertaining read. It was fun to try to figure out what really happened -- and to go back and forth in time with the characters. The characters were a bit two-dimensional, but still interesting. The book was also a little thought-provoking -- not the kind one would mull for years, but maybe something to think about over the summer. It brought up issues of love and beauty, sacrifice, youth and old age. I really enjoyed it.
I received this novel through a Goodreads Giveaway. I'm happy that I got the chance to read it and now review it. I found this novel to be very intriguing. The story was interesting and the characters were likable; my favorite characters were Annie and Miss Maple. They had that Southern charm about them that was just so lovable. The only drawbacks, for me, was that this book was more interesting during the first half than the second. For the first half, I was excited to read and was very anxious ...more
There is something so very beautiful about this book. Maggie and George are childhood sweethearts now living out their senior years in a nursing home. Due to a series of strokes, Maggie is unable to communicate and George is not sure how much she understands, or if she even recognizes him anymore. The arrivals of a new resident and of a mysterious package stir up memories of their childhood together, and of Maggie's brother Ash, and of two strangers who stepped off a train and into their lives o ...more
Ave M
The Inheritance of Beauty is amazing in how friends in youth intertwine with how their lives are reconciled near the end of their lives.

The characters are ordinary people who have had to come to terms with evil that has haunted their lives.

A splendid read.
Such a sweet novel. Told from the different perspectives of a couple in a nursing home. What they think and feel about each other and reflecting on their childhood. Since the wife can't speak due to a stroke, it adds to the intrigue of the story.
I won this book in the First Reads giveaways. I selected it because it sounded interesting. I guess it was, but it was also just not that impressive. It felt like an inadequate melding of The Notebook and maybe Bloodroot (but I'm not 100% sure that the latter is what I'm thinking of). It had a lot of potential, but I just couldn't really get into it. While the exact details may not have been predictable, the major plot elements certainly were.
This book tells about a time near the end of the lives of these folk and the climax is a little supernatural. I enjoyed the book and until is was about half over, I wouldn't have classified it as Christian fiction, except for the publisher. The second half gets more religious, but the supernatural elements are those generally seen in Christian fiction. I don't know what else to say about the book without giving the story away, but again, it was a heartwarming good story. Grade: B

I'd like to than
I think that Seitz is a very talented writer, and I enjoyed reading her work. However, the story told in this book didn't reach me in quite the way I was hoping. I was left with a lot of unanswered questions by the end. I think that this would be a good book for a discussion group, though, since much of this book raises questions about aging, love, the choices we make, how the sins of fathers are revisited on sons, and how vicious cycles can be broken within families.

This copy was provided to me
As a sucker for stories set in the south, this one hit it's mark! What's more, it is full of wonderful people and no filthy language! BONUS! We go back and forth between past and present, between George, Maggie, Ash and Joe all coming to find out what happened and why Ash and Joe left -

I don't want to ruin it for anyone so I am not going to say much, but I anticipated much from this book and wasn't disappointed in the least. If you are looking for a light and fluffy book, this won't be it, it go
There is a simple beauty in this story. It is a story of childhood loves, sibling bonds, beauty, secrets, the magic of up above and down below, and the sunset of life. It is a story of people brought together as children in a small town and again as aging adults in a nursing home. Coincidence? Do events have to be worked out before we can pass on? Or as Miss Annie would say, is the Good Lawd leading us?

I loved everything about this story and was captivated from the first page. Thank you Goodread
  • When Sparrows Fall
  • Something Beyond the Sky
  • Love, Charleston
  • A Sound Among the Trees
  • Where Grace Abides (The Riverhaven Years, #2)
  • Life in Defiance (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #3)
  • Broken Wings
  • Blood Pressure: A Vampire Testament
  • Under a Desert Sky
  • Words Unspoken
  • In Every Heartbeat
  • The Art of Losing Yourself
  • Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy, #1)
  • Ten Thousand Charms (Crossroads of Grace #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Match (Rocky Mountain, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Victory Heights, Washington
  • Daddy in the Making (New Friends Street, #2)
  • Simple Gifts
Nicole Seitz is a South Carolina Lowcountry native and the author of five critically acclaimed novels. A graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's School of Journalism, she also has a bachelor's degree in illustration from Savannah College of Art & Design. Nicole is a speaker on writing, art, and faith; she's an exhibiting painter and has illustrated the covers for her nove ...more
More about Nicole A. Seitz...
Trouble the Water The Spirit of Sweetgrass Saving Cicadas Beyond Molasses Creek A Hundred Years of Happiness

“There are some things I guess we bury so we can get on with living. I don't think it's wrong, necessarily, just what we do to survive. It's the remembering part that's hard. Some people remember and some never have to. The blessed and the cursed.” 5 likes