Start by marking “Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Edgar Allan Poe

Born in Boston in 1809, Edgar Allan Poe was the possessor of one of the most original imaginations the world has ever known. The inventor of the modern detective story, a master of the tale of horror, a poet of haunting melody, Poe has gripped the intellect, the emotions, and the esthetic impulses of the world's readers for over a century.

Great Tales and Poe

Paperback
Published May 21st 1993 by Pocket Books (first published September 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Tales of Edgar Allan Poe

Vishal
Books are best enjoyed - and best remembered - when you feel them.

I just came across the very same edition on here that I first owned when I was 14, maybe 15 years old...and I remember a disbelieving, cynical (I believe they call them haters nowadays) uncle was trying to challenge my degree of understanding of the book. Apparently he couldn't believe that someone so young could enjoy something so profound. Ha.

It was then that I realised that even intellectuals can try too hard and one-up others
Narzain
It was actually difficult to star-rate this book. The well-known stories are five-star reviews, but several of the others brought down the average, at least for me. Not that they were bad, but I just couldn't get into some of them. So, there it is.
Crystal O'Leary-Davidson
He is still the master of horror, florid prose and all, but also Poe surprises with his humor and how he sometimes undercuts his horror with the rational.
kristen
Jan 29, 2008 kristen marked it as to-read
i took a course called horror in film and story back in college. i read this book but don't remember anything about it. time to re-read.
Jackie
Jan 21, 2008 Jackie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casuall Poe readers
Great book for casual Poe fans. Includes some of his most famous and best works.
William
One can never read enough Poe. :)
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Bree Martin
Bree Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
V. Richards
V. Richards marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Edmundo Mora Plata
Edmundo Mora Plata marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Katja Reads
Katja Reads marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Manananggal Terrorizes Manila and Other Stories
  • The Poems of Alexander Pope: A reduced version of the Twickenham Text
  • I Can't Go On, I'll Go On: A Samuel Beckett Reader
  • Otherwise Pandemonium  -- includes Not a Star (Pocket Penguin 70s #3)
  • The Barrens and Others
  • Stories from the Twilight Zone
  • Clash of the Titans
  • A Passion in the Desert
  • The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash
  • Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror: Heebie-Jeebie Hullabaloo (Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror, #1)
  • Core Rulebook (d20 Modern Roleplaying Game)
  • The Secret World of Johnny Depp: The Intimate Biography of Hollywood's Best-Loved Rebel
  • The Best of Saki
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr ...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Cask of Amontillado