Start by marking “Washington's God: Religion, Liberty, and the Father of Our Country” as Want to Read:

Published March 6th 2006 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Washington's God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Washington's God

Tim
Feb 01, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
The review on Goodreads that comes with this book starts off "
A leading conservative thinker offers the first in-depth look at the religious life of our country's greatest founding father, George Washington ...' I hope using the word conservative isn't a warning ...

because I thought the book was terrific, though it took some discipline to stay with a fairly exhaustive look at Washington's life of public religious statements, prayers, and letters. Apparently a private man, he and his wife Martha
Stephanie Blake
May 09, 2014 Stephanie Blake rated it really liked it
This father/daughter author team did an immense amount of research into the religious life of George Washington. I found this book extremely well written and full of facts I had never seen before about Washington.

Whether or not George Washington was a Christian in the truest sense (trusting in Christ alone for his salvation), it is clear that he was not a deist and had an abiding faith in God, whom He often referred to as Providence. The authors surmise that since Washington was a faithful Angl
Aileen15
Mar 07, 2009 Aileen15 rated it liked it
The idea of this book was excellent, and it delivered in the sense that I learned more about Washington's character and moral compass. It made me appreciate Washington the man and Washington the Christian as being one consistent character. However, the book didn't deliver in that its vocabulary was pompous and pretentious, it was very disorganized and illogical in how it presented arguments, and it was repetitive and overall unimpressive. I would recommend it if one wanted a new persepective abo ...more
Glenn Robinson
Feb 02, 2014 Glenn Robinson rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. A theological and philosophical look at George Washington. I greatly appreciated this. Clearly the writers have studied Washington in depth. Not only frequent references to the other leaders and writers of the time, which is typical and expected, the writers clearly studied those books, writings and bios to share how these shaped his religious thoughts and beliefs. I learned a great deal more of Washington than I had expected. Worthwhile read for those that enjoy studying our fir ...more
Chrissy
George Washington was an incredibly amazing man. This book was very fair at looking at the evidence of whether Washington was a true Christian or not. His character and life experiences were nearly unbelievable. I truly enjoyed exploring Washington's faith and how it shaped this nation. Easy and fast read.
Dana
Mar 07, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
I recently read a quick history about George Washington and loved it! This is a wonderful book that reveals how much religion was a part of George Washington's life. He was a true Christian in every sense on the word!
Terri Holmgren
Nov 29, 2014 Terri Holmgren rated it it was amazing
I loved the history in this book. Author certainly did his research and debunks much of the myth about Washington's religious beliefs. Have read many of Washington's biographies and this is near the top of the list of my favorites.
Tracy Hackney
Jul 10, 2010 Tracy Hackney rated it it was ok
This book was okay. Some interesting info, but it seemed like the author just kind of kept saying the same things over and over. I agree that Washington was probably a true Christian and not just a deist - but the book got old after the first few chapters.
Jerry Landry
An enlightening examination of how our first president thought of the divine and his relationship to the higher power.
Anita Williamson
Apr 05, 2012 Anita Williamson rated it liked it
A wonderful book about the faith of George Washington.
Brad
Sep 17, 2007 Brad rated it it was ok
Completely biased! This guy needs to quit listening to the religious right's take on the Founding Fathers and actually read what the Founding Fathers said! A crappy book on a very important topic.
Riva Litman
Riva Litman rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Ryan Doyle
Ryan Doyle rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2009
Wampawells
Wampawells rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2008
Skook
Skook rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
David Sanders
David Sanders rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2011
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2008
Steve Hager
Steve Hager rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Robin Jones
Robin Jones rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2007
Pstorm
Pstorm rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2008
American Revolution
American Revolution rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2008
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Peter Galamaga
Peter Galamaga rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2010
Rob Rickel
Rob Rickel rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2014
Nancy Godfrey
Nancy Godfrey rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
May 10, 2008
Marcus Heriot
Marcus Heriot rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2015
rebecca
rebecca rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2017
Billy
Billy rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2010
Caleb Sargent
Caleb Sargent rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Novak is an American Catholic philosopher, journalist, novelist, and diplomat. He is George Frederick Jewett Scholar in Religion, Philosophy, and Public Policy at the American Enterprise Institute

Novak served as United States Ambassador to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights in 1981 and 1982 and led the U.S. delegation to the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe in 19
More about Michael Novak...