Start by marking “Microbiology: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Microbiology: An Introduction

Microbiology: An Introduction

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  23 reviews
With this Ninth Edition, the Number One best-selling non-majors microbiology text extends its trusted and reliable approach with improved disease chapters that feature efficient new Disease in Focus boxes, a thoroughly revised immunity chapter (17), new options for the Microbiology Place website/CD-Rom, and a new Media Manager instructor presentation package with 30 multi- ...more
Published February 27th 2006 by Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Microbiology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microbiology

April
While technically adding a textbook to Goodreads is bad form... I definitely read this entire book for my Microbiology class. I thought it was an excellent book to use for students in nursing school as it didn't go into TOO much detail but was detailed enough I actually learned something.
Melissa
I am very unfortunately deeply engrossed and obsessed with this book right now. The sad story of a nursing student.
Jason
A very good textbook on Microbiology at the 200-300 college level. The chapter on DNA Replication and Protein Synthesis is especially well-written and presents a complex process in an easily-comprehensible, keenly-illustrated, and methodical manner. The chapter (and a couple others) are actually better than similar chapters in a Human Anatomy & Physiology textbook to which I awarded 5 stars earlier this year. The information in a book like this is so informative that I wish more people read ...more
Daniel
This was a well organized textbook that was not difficult to read. Sometimes, the text would go from painfully obvious generalization in one paragraph to minute frivolous detail in the next. This was often frustrating, as the tests and learning objectives in the class for which I read this book tended to be more specific than the former an more general than the latter. I suppose this could be a review for the class overall, given the extensive overlap between the learning objectives for the clas ...more
Redg18
Normally, I would never add a textbook to my "goodreads" list but I'll make an exception for this. This book is well written, visually detailed, and easy to understand. The concepts in this text follow me throughout my educational career.
Suzanna
Straightforward and has tons of great illustrations which often aided me in understanding more complex concepts. I'm confused that there are so many whiny reviews of this book about how it made "everything" seem gross and ruined their lives. It's actually pretty awesome for a textbook and one of the better ones available on the subject. Shut up and learn to study.
The book does go into more detail than necessary for some people's college programs at the molecular level but these types of books a
Polly
I suppose this was as engrossing as a microbio textbook could be.

On the plus side, I finally found a book about the subject that didn't condescend to me. It had gross photos of disease signs and microbes, and beautiful images from electron microscopes.

And for the bad: this book hates anyone who isn't completely germ-phobic. Namely, it hates people who have sex and do drugs, and it does a fine job of attempting to scare people out of those activities.

I'm so glad I can read something besides thi
Hannah
I personally think this textbook is quite straight forward - wonderful illustrations, descriptions. There could be more information in both the glossary and the index, you can generally find what you need in a pinch. Although I am excited to be done with this class, I am also grateful to have access to a book that is a better teacher than my actual (human) teacher.
Juliana
Jul 28, 2008 Juliana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Microbiology-lover nerds like me
Recommended to Juliana by: my Microbiology professor
I find myself looking things up in this text book months after my Microbiology class wrapped up. It has some great pictures and contains great information on microbiology. My children love looking at this text as well....they are intrigued by the photos of funky skin diseases caused by microbes.
Teena
I am reading this book for a Microbiology class I am taking. It is very intense and technical...LOL. I sometimes have to read over pages several times to understand it!!! It is definitely a text book and not easy reading!!
Ashley the Magnificent™
I went into this book/class with a lot of interest in the subject. They sure took care of that! Wish I had kept this text. The full-color photos are amazing and the information was... well, there was a lot of it.
Abby
Woohoo, I am soooo done!!! This book was obviously for my Microbiology class. Nonetheless, it was fun to read and very informative(especially for the tests, haha.)
Michelle
bout fungies, protozoas, bacterias, etc. causative agents of different diseases and illnesses.microorganisms na di makikita ng naked eye!!ahooo!
AF
not the best laid out textbook I've encountered, but for the subject I guess this was the best they could do.
Christen
Just have to spend tomorrow on general review and I take the exam on Tuesday! :D
Tom Menke
very interesting reqd have to really read each page most excellent data
Chole Allyson
This was a good compilation of microbiology, it was helpful in the class.
Michael
Gee I don't know can you give negative stars!!!!!!!!!!
Sam Heaton
Don't care. Don't have to... I'm done.
Ashley
I'm only on chapter 3 right now
Hawn
Feb 04, 2010 Hawn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
mandatory for my class
Lawrence Sotto
im looking forward to it..
Josh
for BIO 275
Molloy
Molloy marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Dec 25, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies
  • Biology
  • Hole's Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • Developmental Biology
  • Electronics Fundamentals: Circuits, Devices and Applications (Floyd Electronics Fundamentals Series)
  • 1000 Years for Revenge: International Terrorism and the FBI--the Untold Story
  • Understanding Nutrition
  • Nuclear Terrorism: The Ultimate Preventable Catastrophe
  • Unlimited Access: An FBI Agent Inside the Clinton White House
  • The Command: Deep Inside The President's Secret Army
Principles of Anatomy and Physiology Principles of Human Anatomy Introduction to the Human Body: The Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology Anatomy and Physiology: From Science to Life Study Guide for Microbiology: An Introduction