Start by marking “Mr. Bliss” as Want to Read:
Mr. Bliss

Mr. Bliss

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  703 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Professor J.R.R. Tolkien invented and illustrated this book of Mr. Bliss's adventures for his own children when they were very young. The story is reproduced here exactly as he created it - handwritten with lots of detailed and uproarious colour pictures.

Each Page of J.R.R. Tolkien's original manuscript is reproduced in facsimile with a facing printed text.

Mr Bliss, a man
Hardcover, Sewn Binding, Slipcase, Facsimile Edition, 100 pages
Published October 15th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Bliss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Bliss

Michael
Mr. Bliss is delightfully amusing, both the book and the title character himself. He gets himself into a series of farcical scrapes involving his new car, three thuggish teddy bears, four obese brothers, some cabbages and some bananas. Mr. Bliss is a frightful coward throughout, not at all the hero you might expect, which I think would make him a rather sympathetic character for younger children. He does stand up for himself in the end, albeit in a somewhat passive/aggressive way. Oh, and watch...more
The Peregrine Shepherd
Is this a poignant piece of literary greatness? No. Was it written exquisitely with riveting action and dialouge? No. Not by any means. But Mr. Bliss still captured my heart, if for no other reason than it's the first book I've read in a long time that made feel like there was someone sitting on the edge of my bed telling me a story before I go to sleep. It's pure, childlike simplicity is just... charming and Tolkien's writing style can take just as much credit for this as the bizarre storyline...more
Annaleely Leely
i would like a girabbit, please.
Andrew Hryhirchuk
A lovely little Sunday afternoon light-read.
Loved it. I am, however quite bias. I'm a big Tolkien fan, and I'll read anything that his colourful imagination can conjure.
It's a bright and animated children's book about the adventures of a tall hat wearing dandy names Mr. Bliss, and his spontaneous inspiration to buy a motorcar, and the trouble there ensues.
Aside from the playfulness of story and many delightful characters, the book is worth buying simply for its hand-crafted illustrations by the...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
My inner child and I really enjoyed this book. Professor Tolkien wrote this book for his own children in the 1930s but it was never published in his lifetime. The edition I read (pulbished in 1983) has a facsimile of Professor Tolkien's original written text and lovely drawings side by side with the printed text.

I wish I'd discovered this book 20 years ago in time to read with my son. I'm sure he'd have enjoyed it.
Edoardo Albert
What I took away from this short little book (finished in a 30-minute tube ride), apart from its charm and the almost palpable sense of also sitting on the bed as Tolkien delivered the story, probably ex tempore in its first version, to his children, was how interesting and unique his handwriting was and what a large part it seems drawing played in the Good Professor's creativity. The story is slight although engaging, but the drawings are enchanting, and I'm reminded of Tolkien's drawings and p...more
Ana Rînceanu
Cartea aceasta merge perfect cu un ceai dulce, mai ales dacă faci pauză de la "Stăpânul Inelelor". Ilustraţiile create de autor merg perfect cu tenta jucăuşă a poveştii domnului Bliss, care iese dintr-o încurcătură ca să intre în alta. Mie cartea mi-a plăcut dar verişoarei mele nu prea: “Mr. Bliss e prea neserios cu banii”.
Bookworm Sean
I shall judge this book for what it is; a simple story written for children full of humour and mishaps. I liked it now and as a child I know I would have loved it.

This short tale follows Mr Bliss as he buys a motor car, crashes into several people, gets robbed by bears, crashes a soup garden party and then as the victims and culprits turn up demanding payment. This book made me laugh and the drawings were funny.

I bought this book because it was written by Tolkien, had it not been I would have g...more
Steve
We found this wonderful little children's book at Shakespeare and Company in Paris. It was a book that Tolkien wrote for his children and never really intended to publish (it was published posthumously in 1982). He both wrote it and illustrated it. It was alledegly based on his own personal experience with his first automobile in 1932 and his children's stuffed bears.

Not only was it a cute little story but ours was a two-sided book. On one side was the story typed out on the page with his illus...more
Nick
This delightful children's book by the creator of The Lord of the Rings is a minor gem, pleasantly illustrated by the author. Mr. Bliss decides to buy a motorcar, and mayhem results. Tolkien clearly had little love for motorcars or the modern era in general, preferring the old English countryside, horses, and Sunday strolls.

The book takes pot shots at fat people, bears, and tradesmen, and so it's a little too quirky and non-inclusive for the modern era. We like our fat people, our tradesmen and...more
Jayne
What an odd little tale! Not at all what I was expecting. This is a non sense tale, with no real plot. I suspect it was written for the enjoyment of Tolkien's own kids, and that they would have found it extremely entertaining - a story written by Dad! I have no doubt that most children would enjoy this silly story, but since it has no meaning or message that I can decipher, I would not choose to read it to my children, when there are so many other spiritual fairy-tales out there. Just my persona...more
Estrella Perotti
Uno de los libros menos conocidos de mi autor favorito, pero no por ello más apasionante, sobre todo para quienes hacemos de JRR Tolkien un culto e intentamos iniciar en el mismo a nuestros querubines. Se trata de un cuento que este maravilloso autor británico escribiera y dibujara para sus propios hijos en el cual se narran las aventuras de un elegante caballero y su primer automóvil. La historia, según los entendidos, se basa en los contratiempos sufridos por él mismo al comprar su primer auto...more
Supriya J
Such a funny story. Tolkien fans will love it... Can't say the same for the kids of today's age. Maybe it's too "mature" for them.
Ella
Silliest book I have read in a long time. I like the illustrations but I expected something more sophisticated form Tolkien.
Mirsa Libia Ximena
It's a nice story, the characters are original and funny. It makes you laugh and enjoy it even if you're not a children.
Beth Anne
This is an illustrated children's book that Tolkien wrote for his own children. It was not published until after his death. Each page has a photostat of the actual handwritten book by Tolkien. His handwriting looks remarkably...Elvish :-)

This was a odd little story, a read aloud to Emma. Long for a children's picture book, but it completely captivated her. Not a lot in the way of plot, and in that way very much unlike his other great works. But he has delightful and memorable characters, especia...more
Jacqueline Galdames
3.7, it was reaaaaaaally funny. The little notes on the drawings are priceless~
Mwrogers
Loved it! The silly story and the illustrations! What a treasure! I wonder if the Tolkien children realized how blessed they were to have such a father?!
Matthew Don
The delightful Mr Bliss was cute and in a way just like the way Tolkien wrote The Hobbit, funny, like a posh English narrator with a good sense of humour. Also, the real illustrations by J.R.R Tolkien further enhanced the reading knowing Tolkien's almost - in a stupid-sounding way - with you? There isn't really a big plot; just Mr Bliss buying a car then picking up people along the way after he knocks them down in a road trip type way, until everyone wrongly claims he owes them large amounts of...more
Janne Paananen
Herra Bliss on kaikilla tavoin hämmentävä satu. Oikeastaan sadusta puuttuu varsinaisesti kokonaan juoni tai opetus tai joka tapauksessa se jokin, miksi se olisi kirjoitettu. Se on vain hassu satu, jossa on toki muutama herkullinen sivuhahmo (kirahkani on aika hauska). Muihin Tolkienin satuihin verrattuna Herra Bliss on aika huono. Toki tämä suomennos, jossa on mukana Tolkienin piirtämät ja kirjoittamat alkuperäisliuskat, on hienon näköinen.
Trilllian
plus que l'histoire ou les personnages farfelues (le héros m'a fait penser à pee wee du film de tim burton), j'ai adoré les illustrations par Tolkien et l'édition que j'ai lu contenait aussi les reproductions des dessins originaux ainsi que la reproduction de l'écriture de Mr Tolkien, un objet bien intéressant quand on est fan de l'auteur!
Amina TheWriter
A charming book that will capture whimsical hearts belonging to adults and children alike. Mr Bliss is a thoroughly amusing character and the Girabbit is my mythical pet of choice!

Written as amusement for his children Tolkien never intended to publish this book. Unpredictable and brilliant with wonderful illustrations. A gem worth passing on.
Kari
**3 Stars**

Not the best Tolkien book out there. It was a little slow for a kid's book, and didn't really have a "point" to it. However, it was interesting as Tolkien did take some names from the LOTR series and put them in the book (Boffin, Gamgee, etc.)

Basically - buying a motor car is a bad thing and will cause you a lot of heartache.
Amanda
Not his best book. The story was unconnected and random. I feel like it was a story that he wrote with and for his children and was never meant to be published. Pictures were nice and I liked how one page would be his handwriting while the other was typed (easier to read than his handwriting). But, I was disappointed.
David Russell Mosley
Perhaps not Tolkien's greatest work of fiction, even amongst his short stories, but nevertheless and delightful and fun read. Reading some of Tolkien's stories for his children and seeing the art that accompanied them makes one wish Tolkien had illustrated more of his works. This is a fun read for all fans of Tolkien.
Mike
A delightfully quirky and surreal children's book by Tolkien. It made little sense but was charming and funny. As an added benefit, we received a visit from Old Gaffer Gamgee. Despite the very small pictures, I was able to read the entire book to my 23 month old - quite an achievement for any book of that length.
Morta
Keista skaityt tokią knygą po Žiedų Valdovo ar Silmariljono. Rodos, negi tai gali būti tas pats autorius?.. Tačiau kuo toliau, tuo geriau tai supranti - tas nuostabus mokėjimas apsieiti su žodžiais, tas begalinis kalbos pajautimas, netgi vaikiškoj istorijoj. Dėl to, atrodo, ir myliu Tolkieną...
Carina
The is a nice, short, and funny tale of many different interesting characters. The pictures are great, and they explain a lot. I recommend this book, even though it is short, and it's not to old for anyone.
Lusitarius
I'm not sure what to think about this book. There was something that kept me reading this book, but I can't say that I enjoyed reading it. Characters were annoying, quite unimpressive and even boring. Plot itself were a bit funny and cute, but it needed something more.
Violet Harmon
Very good and imaginative tale for children. Loved the original hand writing and pictures by Tolkien himself. I give 3 stars only because it was too short and too infantile for me, but it's perfect as a reading for kids up to 6 years or so.
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
  • Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Journeys Of Frodo
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Nemi - Vol. 1 (Nemi, #1)
  • Tolkien and C. S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy
  • Tolkien: Man and Myth, a Literary Life
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet,WWI veteran (British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English language and literature from 1945 to 1959. He was a cl...more
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)