Start by marking “Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1

Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1 (Suki-tte Ii na yo #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  6,217 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Mei Tachibana has spent her 16 years without making either boyfriend or friends. One day, she injures a popular boy in school, Yamato Kurosawa, because of a misunderstanding but for some reason it seems that he takes a liking to her and one-sidedly claims that they’re friends. Furthermore, he not only protects Mei from a stalker, he does it with a kiss…?!!
Published August 11th 2008 by Kodansha

To ask other readers questions about Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSailor Moon, #1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Favorite Shoujo Manga
485 books — 1,562 voters
Black Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoPandora Hearts 1巻 by Jun MochizukiFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaA Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori
Best Manga Art
232 books — 210 voters

More lists with this book...

Mayu

Antes de ver "Say I love you" no me habria planteado volver a leer a Kanae Hazuki porque en "Me arrodillo ante ti" descubrí que no era la clase de mangaka capaz de hacer "doki, doki" en mi corazón, pero después de ver una de las películas más intimas y hermosas sobre el amor, la amistad, la belleza interior y el amarse a uno mismo, no pude negar que quería embarcarme en esta aventura literaria. Además, hacía tanto que no leía que me parecía el reencuentro perfecto con mis amadas palabras de pap
Alex (Lexie)
Jan 04, 2013 Alex (Lexie) rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alex (Lexie) by: Rachel
I know. I really love this volume. It's really good. I can't find faults for this manga. I like Mei, Yamato, Asami and even Nakanishi. Back then, I was insecure of my figure too. I mean, I got this big boobs too. Well, bigger than my peers. I was not really bullied because of it. But since I'm a bit of a tomboy back then, I didn't like having big breasts cause, how can I run and play with friends if my boobs are juggling in front of me? lol. It's annoying to have them that I wished I'm a flat ch ...more
Amber Hetchler
Jul 10, 2016 Amber Hetchler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Eh, not bad. Didn't get the butterflies in the stomach feeling for this couple though.
Ivana Ciglar
May 16, 2014 Ivana Ciglar rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

Absolutely delightful light romance manga !

Tachibana Mei is a 16 year old girl who doesn't have any friends and she never had a boyfriend. She doesn't believe in friendship because so called friends always betrayed her and humiliated her.

"Mei: People betray each other all the time. And at school it's just a bunch of idiots who need someone to bully. I don't want to hang out with that kind of people. So I don't have friends.
Yamato: You can't say that everyone is like that.
Mei: Yes, everyone. They
Sesana
Dec 02, 2014 Sesana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, comics
Pure wish fulfillment, but not bad, even so. Yes, it belongs to that incredibly well-populated genre where an awkward girl (Mei) manages to effortlessly land the cutest, nicest, most popular boy in school (Yamato). A little cliche. But there are a few elements that make it stand out, even so. The awkward girl has not magically become less awkward. The cute boy hasn't entirely drawn her out of her shell, yet. It's definitely going to be a process. And it's the boy who's more invested in the relat ...more
Amanda Lila
Aug 05, 2014 Amanda Lila rated it really liked it
Shōjo mangas are predictable and have lots of facepalm moments, but they can still make you laugh, which is why I love reading them.

Say "I love you" is very cute. I was excited to read this because I love the cover. It's very pretty! I also like Mei's personality, eventhough I don't like the way she thinks sometimes. But that's shōjo, we have to deal with it.

And by the way, can we for once have a shy boy and a popular girl? Can we?! Am I asking for too much? Come on! ... Just once, please!...
Selena
I'm not sure what to make of this manga.

On one hand, I really like the characters. I have no trouble relating to Tachibana, a girl who was a target of bullying when she was a kid and thus avoided making any friends. She doesn't come across as pathetic like many friendless shoujo heroines, however. She's just become someone who really doesn't care what other people think.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure about the main relationship itself. Early on, it feels like Yamato's forcing himself on Tach
Nek0 Neha (BiblioNyan)
Say "I Love You" (the English translation) is a beautiful, heart-warming manga series. It exhibits the true essence of adolescent love and relationships, without sugar-coating everything with stomach-wrenching adorable traits.

The author gives you an unhindered look into what being a teenager in Japan is like (which isn't too far off from how teens work here in the US). We get a glimpse into young teenage girls and their battle with body image. We get to see how sexual relationships take form in
Becki
Wow this was a huge disappointment. I was expecting a great tale of a girl being bullied and how she over comes and grows stronger even the bullies to get redeemed. But nope.

I swear everyone in this book is bullied. Even the bullies get bullied by other bullies who in turn get bullied. Its this never ending cycle. What the fuck is up with school is it located in purgatory? And the teachers do nothing. There lack of involvement is horrendous, wouldn't you notice that everyone in your class is mi
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
I finished this in about half an hour *eye twitch*

Mei and Yamato's relationship = Life goals..

THIS WAS SO CUUUUUTE!

It's been such a long time since I've read such a cute manga! I love that Yamato slowly brings out Mei from her little gloomy shell. I love that the both of them are open and honest to each other. I love that Mei warms up to him gradually even with (completely unnecessary) outside intervention.

It's like, 11:15 pm over here right now, and I'm really sleepy, but who needs sleep when
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
May 20, 2014 Sarah ~Sehrenity~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Feels like a real slice-of-life story. The girl isn't cuddly, but you can relate to why she is the way she is. The guy is nice, but not squeaky-clean. These characters feel real, they have what they show on the surface, but they also have depth in the past they hide.
Tiffany Vaughn
I really enjoyed this manga. I can totally relate to the main character Mei.

This manga deals with a lot of issues teens and even adults deal with in real life. Bullying, slut shaming, and body issues. I can't wait to see what happens in volume 2.
Elinor
Apr 06, 2017 Elinor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5
Pas mal mais pas encore extraordinaire pour autant. Les dessins ne me plaisaient pas énormément au début mais en fait je m'y suis vite habituée. Je lirai la suite pour me faire une meilleure idée, y a du potentiel.
Emily
Apr 14, 2017 Emily rated it really liked it
this was actually pretty cute! I'm still trying to get into it but so far I'm liking it
Liz
May 10, 2017 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, romance, ya
2.5
Aliee
Jan 10, 2015 Aliee rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

It would be a lie if I said I didn’t watch the anime because I did, but I enjoyed reading the manga far more. I loved the anime, don't get me wrong, but there was more depth within the words, plot, and characters that the anime somewhat lacked. And after reading the first volume (and actually the next three), it makes me fall more inlove with this series than I did before.

Although the story has cute moments, it deals with a lot of serious issues that many people go through; bullying, dep
K. B
Jun 27, 2016 K. B rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, shoujo
Having friends are really important for everyone. Without friends, life is no fun at all. It becomes dull and gray. I know this because I've been through this myself. And when you make friends few of them use you and then betray you, and some treasure you for life (thank God I have one crazy person for life). The 16-year-old protagonist Mei Tachibana, was betrayed by the so-called friends when she was in her elementary school. They lied that she was the one who fed the class rabbit some leaf tha ...more
Aubrie
Jul 22, 2015 Aubrie rated it it was ok
This is the very first Manga I have ever read. The art was beautiful, but the story was awful. It's about a girl who has never had a friend until one day she accidentally kicks the most popular kid in her school because she thought he lifted her skirt (it was his friend). He instantly takes a liking to her.

I think bits of this is realistic, but to be honest, the relationship that ensues was way too immature and cutesy for my taste. Not to mention a little dehumanizing. Especially since the main
Jenna
Nov 13, 2014 Jenna rated it liked it
Enjoyable and rather cute art style that reminded me of Strobe Edge. Eyes were very detailed and the hair was drawn beautifully all throughout.

The plot and characters, however, felt too familiar to me. While not cliched, generic, maybe? The awkward girl, the popular boy who pulls her out of her shell. It's a story line that could be applied to a number of series, but each had a twist that made them stand apart. This first volume, however, didn't really have anything that grabbed me. It was cute
Beckiezra
Apr 26, 2015 Beckiezra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Interesting enough, nice drawings, some discussion of the bullying issues, but mostly the story of an unpopular unsocial girl changing her attitude about people after meeting a nice popular boy. There are some consent issues in here as he steals her first kiss (in an effort to drive away a stalker) and then later kisses her repeatedly against her protests when she questioned him about his history of kissing lots of girls.
Lacey
Apr 25, 2013 Lacey rated it really liked it
A high school romance. A girl that doesn't have a high self esteem, meets a guy that actually likes her. She can't believe him, and doesn't understand why he likes her. But she is slowly opening herself up to him, and is even making some friends in the process. This was a pretty good story, and reminds me of myself and I'm sure other girls can relate as well.
Lucille
Mar 04, 2012 Lucille rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-manga
This is one of the most realistic mangas I've read that deals with a teenagers real problems nowadays--sexual activity, being fat, not getting enough attention, and insecurities.

*There's actually no sexual activity in the actual manga, but it's included in their conversations.
Andreea Arsene
Jun 11, 2014 Andreea Arsene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quotes I absolutely adore:

"I realized that in the end no one`s going to protect you but yourself..."
"What`s controlling people is people after all."
"Believe in people from now one, even it`s little by little."
Estefany
Sep 05, 2015 Estefany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Desde que vi el anime amo a Yamato y Mei *-* así que me propuse a leer el manga
Kayleigh Didion
Say I Love You is probably my favorite manga now. I've always loved these type of manga and when I came across it by chance a few years ago on a manga app, I knew I needed to own all the volumes physically. This story is just so cute, and I love reading about romances like this.
Holly
Jun 26, 2017 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Totally sweet story, can't wait to read the next volume!
Salasdieg
May 24, 2017 Salasdieg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Joeylyn Ramilo
Jun 25, 2017 Joeylyn Ramilo rated it it was amazing
Andrés
Feb 15, 2017 Andrés rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, romance, manga
A fairly entertaining read about a young girl by the name of Mei Tachibana who, having foregone friendship for the most part of her life, suddenly finds herself in a relationship with the most popular guy at school! Little by little, Mei is pulled into several social circles and begins to realize that maybe having someone you can rely on is not as bad as she once thought.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable on this genre beyond what few high-school/slice-of-life anime I may have watched, Chuunibyou D
Shoujo Manga Book...: Say I Love You Discussion 10 33 Dec 27, 2016 02:53AM
  • となりの怪物くん 1 [Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 1]
  • ひよ恋 1 [Hiyokoi 1]
  • Strobe Edge, Vol. 5 (Strobe Edge, #5)
  • はぴまり~Happy Marriage!?~ (1) (Happy Marriage?!, #1)
  • Inu x Boku SS, Vol. 1
  • 神様はじめました 14 [Kamisama Hajimemashita 14]
  • わたしに××しなさい! 1 (Watashi ni xx Shinasai! #1)
  • Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu - Secret Unrequited Love (Volume 1)
  • ホリミヤ 2 (Horimiya #2)
  • Kiss/Hug, Vol. 01
  • The One, Volume #1
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 1 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #1)
  • L-DK, Vol. 01
かなえ 葉月 is a manga artist and writer.

Name in native language: 葉月かなえ
Birthday: September 1980
Blood Type: B
Twitter username: @kanaehazuki
More about Kanae Hazuki...

Suki-tte Ii na yo (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Suki-tte Ii na yo, Volume 2