Start by marking “The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)” as Want to Read:
The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
read book

The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga 0)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Two young men, on the cusp of adulthood go on a hunt they want to remember forever. When they cross a ridge and leave the protected boundries of their kingdom, they find themselves a cavern to explore. Inside the cavern they find exactly what they were seeking.....
Lurking inside this hole in the earth is something they will never forget.... If they can live to remember!

Published August 8th 2010

To ask other readers questions about The First Dragoneer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Dragoneer

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEragon by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingChronicles of Myriad by James Nicholas AdamsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Book With or About Dragons
221st out of 284 books — 326 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Escape of Princess Madeline by Kirstin PulioffDigitus 233 by K.D. EmersonSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Great Middle Grade Reads
296th out of 400 books — 427 voters

More lists with this book...

Fellshot
I think I would have preferred this novella if the characters weren't shallow jerks with no sense or motivation and if they weren't so determined to get a Darwin Award. Seriously! They were more or less interchangeable, to the point that I couldn't care less that anything bad happened to them. I was deeply disappointed that everything was rendered "all better" for little reason and zero motivation. Come on, there has to be someone with common sense in the entire valley!

The plot could not exist b
Sharon
The premise of "The First Dragoneer" is a good one. Bren and March are two good friends going on their last hunt before one of them leaves the village. They run into some unanticipated adventures in the process.

M.R. Mathias starts off with a really good idea. However, I found myself distracted by homonym problems (e.g., arrows are properly referred to as "nocked," not "knocked" and one lights a fire using a "tinder box," not a "tender box."). There were several other similar issues that gave awa
Lauren
Sep 03, 2012 Lauren rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ipad
This was deceiving; it appeared as though it were a book whereas it is actually the beginning of a book, or two books perhaps. It was quite disappointing.
Barbara ★
Link to free ebook: http://www.wattpad.com/743217-the-fir...

I stumbled upon this series by accident and thought I'd give it a try when the prelude was free. Friends Brendly and March are hunting in the woods of their kingdom for the final time since March was leaving to find his adventure. During their last hunt, they come across a white stag and decide they cannot kill such a beautiful creature. This is probably the best decision they made that fateful day. When the come across a hidden cave on
Sheila
The First Dragoneer by MR Mathias, is a fun adventure story for middle-grade and older. Two young boys face that time when the world changes, when they have to grow up; and though their world is very different from ours, their feelings will be familiar to many readers. March will leave to find his fortune elsewhere. Bren will stay to fulfill his family obligations. And each imagines they’d rather be the other.

The author creates a pleasing “other world” with words that are close enough to familia
T. Tolles
Wow! Can't wait for 'The Royal Dragoneers' in Oct 2010
I've never written a review before, so bear with me. This Novella was recommended to me and though this is not a genre I usually read I was happily surprised at how much I liked it. Why M.R.Mathias is slumming with Indie writers like me, I'll never know. I have no doubt 'The Royal Dragoneers' will be awesome.

The author draws you into his fantastical vortex from the first chapter and you are compelled to read on whether you want to or not. Th
Richard Jackson
This novella serves as a prequel to The Royal Dragoneers. The novella is about forty three pages long. The remaining twenty or so pages is an excerpt from The Royal Dragoneers.

The author lays a strong foundation for The Royal Dragoneers. His world and characters are constructed with care. The writing is solid. The action is believable. My only complaint is that the last part of the novella feels rushed. This is due in part to the way the novella ended and the fact that a key description is missi
Rebecca
The First Dragoneer was a really interesting novella that hooked me into the story straight away. I’m always a fan of fantasy and this one was definitely interesting. Of the two main characters I believe that Bren was my favourite. There was one part in the novella that I got a huge surprised and was really hoping that things would turn around for the best. Overall, I really enjoyed The First Dragoneer and definitely piqued my interest enough that at some point I shall be reading the series.
Eric Townsend
The First Dragoneer is a short prequel to add some depth to one of the main characters that will appear in the second book in the Dragoneer Saga, March. In Mathias’s usual detail-driven and slow-paced style March and his friend Bren take a hunting trip, the last the pair will take together as March prepares to leave their small village. They encounter a few things they didn’t expect, a beautiful creature, a dark and rather large cave, and even a familiar race of being to those who love these typ ...more
D.P. Prior
The First Dragoneer is a brief induction into the world M.R. Mathias has created for his epic novels. The reader is immediately dropped into the midst of a hunting trip – the last such to be enjoyed by childhood friends, Brendley and March.

It’s an easy task for the reader: the dialogue is so natural and genuine, the descriptions succinct and yet hitting the mark with exactly the right amount of imagery that it almost reads itself. I started to enjoy the tale from the outset because of this decep
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Brendley Tuck and March Weston are best friends. More importantly, like all young men on the verge of becoming an adult, they are deciding what they want to do with the rest of their lives. Brendley does not think he has the options that March does and is envious that his friend can leave Prominence Valley, where they currently live. As best friends, they do not want to leave each other, they have been friends all their lives.

The young men decide to do one last hunting trip together. This huntin
Jenny
This was a short story that tells the story of Bren and March, 2 good friends that are on their last hunt togther before facing adulthood. Their bonding adventure brings more than excitement than they expected and sets the premise for the series featuring the Dragoneers. Overall this was an interesting tale, but I did get a bit annoyed with characters of the 2 boys at times.
Annette McLean
Anyone who knows me, knows I am a sucker for a book about dragons. Fantasy books to me play in my head like a movie as I picture what the characters look like and their mannerisms. So I thought I would give this one ago.

I downloaded this prequel to see if I liked the way it presented it's story.

However, no sooner had I started to read it, in which I felt only a couple of memorable things happen, it seemed to end suddenly, leaving me with a sort of blank feeling. The characters to me were not rea
Andreea Pausan
An easy, fun, light reading. 2 boys on the verge of becoming men trespass the border looking for some adventure and one gets hurt, one finds his destiny. The ending was rushed and a lot of elements were not explained... I understand that there is a sequel, but this affects the story in a bad way.
Lora
I enjoy bromance hunting fantasy immensely, but I'm displeased with how it ended. Several structural problems (inconsistent POV, grammar errors, incorrect word choices like "viscous scream"), plus factual errors (the hunting had a lot of mistakes, particularly with the archery; no hunter would even consider taking a doe and her fawns as trophies; and there were some problems with the injuries) rankled me enough to take off a star.

The biggest thing, though, is that the story builds up this frien
Jaime
Let's face it, over the years dragon stories have decreased in value because they're a dime a dozen and all the same. But, Mathias has a gift where he delivers this fascinating tale with heart and conviction, which makes it different and rise above the rest. An added bonus besides his writing talent, is that he has the ability to gain a wide audience because the drama soaked plot contains younger characters that will appeal to YA fans, but the fast paced, action packed storyline commands interes ...more
Melissa
Going beyond the kingdom's borders, two friends' final hunting trip together turned into a nightmare as they face a ferocious beast living in a cavern they've dared to explore. Bren and March's misadventure led to a grave problem for one of them, and a pledge to fight the coming Confliction for the other. March pledge maybe a desperate act to save Bren, but it also sets in motion the saga of the dragoneers.

There isn't much to say except that this very short book serves as a prequel to the first
Evgeny
A prequel to Dragoneer Saga books. Two young boys Bren and March are going on a hunt during which they found a cave. They do exactly what any normal young boys would do - they go exploring it. Unfortunately, they run into trouble while exploring which will change a life of one of them.

This is fairly short story. The ebook also contains first chapter of The Royal Dragoneers. It is not exactly clear how it relates to the prequel. As to the story itself, it is too short to give a good judgment. I w
Gerold Whittaker
Described as a fantasy Prequel Novella, it is very short (43 pages) and a prequel to the Dragoneers series. Two young men, about to go their separate ways into adulthood, go on a hunting trip together. They want the trip to be a memorable one, and indeed, it turns out to be so after they explore a cave.....

The free ebook downloaded from Smashwords includes a few chapters of the follow-on book, The Royal Dragoneers. This I also read and enjoyed, but not enough to buy the rest of the book.
Lauren
It was on my nook's free section so it was worth a try and in that sense I am glad I did. Sometimes free books are hits and misses. Sadly, this was a miss for me. It's a novella that preludes to hopefully something more. The only perk was the ability to get a preview of the Royal Dragoneers.
Jensen Carter
Having read the preview I am running out of excuses as to why I shouldn't buy this book!

The style is both gripping and fluid leaving enough to the imagination to excite but offering a perfect balance of description. Often fantasy authors get caught up in the complexity of the world they have created and lose out on telling the story itself. This is no such story.

Five stars as there are no faults, it is perfect for the genre and will capture the imagination of many readers; young and old alike.
Scott Collins
While there might have been some editing issues, I found them to be minor and in no way took me out of the story. I am finding that I'm not a big fan of novellas however. They just don't seem to have enough meat to really sink your teeth into. I liked the story and found the characters to be believable but wanted a bit more. Maybe I'll have to go buy The Royal Dragoneers. :) Overall an enjoyable read. I very much enjoy the imagination of MR Mathias.
Christie Silvers
Even though I don't normally read this type of story, I found The First Dragoneer intriguing. It's a heartfelt story with great description and characters you can feel good about knowing.

This prequel novella does a nice job at setting up the world they live in for future books in the series. The First Dragoneer will appeal to readers of all ages who enjoy fantasy worlds of dragons, elves and magic.
Justin
This short teaser introduction novella did just what is was supposed to do: I got me wanting to dive right into the series. It was a wonderful story of friendship and fantasy.

Set in a world where there are creatures like Dragons, Wyverns, Trolls and Goblins, Mr. Mathias starts to etch his story of a dragon rider named March.

Can't wait to start the series and dive deeper into this world.
Kirsten
Extremely short but interesting- reminiscent of the Eragon books. I think I will enjoy this prequel in context more as opposed to a standalone prequel.
In general it is well written, suitable for most ages I would say. The world as it has been described so far seems good, and I think the series will help pan out this good idea.
Laney
True friends will do anything for each other. M. R. Mathias allows his readers to follow 2 best friends as they embarq together on a journey of self discovery. The boys emotions about their lives & their new adventure are intense. I had to find out what was going to happen next. I am looking forward to meeting all The Dragoneers!
Erisel
There were moments where I chuckled because the characters surely thought like teenage boys, and as a woman with a little brother I can appreciate them with the exasperation of an older sister. The tale itself was awesome and while not my cup of tea since I prefer female leads for adventure, it was a nice branch off from my usual.
ZaBeth
Interesting introduction to a fantasy tale. The prequel doesn't really give you much of the story except March's background. March and his best friend go on one last hunting trip before March is leaving. They end up having an adventure. Where this will take them, I guess we'll have to read the rest of the series to find out.
Amanda
Slow start but once the young men got back to the river and the true theme of the book was recognized, I was intrigued and will for sure pick up the series. Dragon riders with a goal. Though the first book does not make that goal clear...
Ed Caggiani
Well written story of Bren and March on their last hunt together before they part ways. A great fantasy setting, not derivative but, rather, original. Action packed and totally believable. I SO want to be a Dragoneer! Great work!
Hurry the FREE Coupon is almost over! 2 13 Nov 08, 2014 05:28PM
  • The Firelight of Maalda
  • The Labyrinth
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • Last Flight Out
  • My Fairytale Life (Vampire Hunter Series, #1)
  • The Gateway (Harbinger of Doom, novella)
  • Call of the Herald (The Dawning of Power, #1)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • The Queen's Blade (The Queen's Blade, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • Embers (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #1)
  • The Prophecy (Bakkian Chronicles, #1)
  • The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1)
  • Dragon Blues
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
The jewel you see glowing in the ring in my authors photo isn't really a jewel at all. It is the crystallized tear of a real dragon. In my novel "The Royal Dragoneers" you might find the moment where this wonderfully magical tear drop fell from a green dragons eye and hardened on its way down to land in a mess of troll corpses that the dragon was laying on.

My grandfather died before I was born, bu
More about M.R. Mathias...
The Sword and the Dragon (The Wardstone Trilogy, #1) The Royal Dragoneers (The Dragoneers Saga, #1) Kings, Queens, Heroes, & Fools (The Wardstone Trilogy, #2) Through the Wildwood (The Legend of Vanx Malic #1) The Wizard and the Warlord (The Wardstone Trilogy, #3)