Start by marking “The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)” as Want to Read:
The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)

Read Book

The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga 0.5)

Two young men, on the cusp of adulthood go on a hunt they want to remember forever. When they cross a ridge and leave the protected boundries of their kingdom, they find themselves a cavern to explore. Inside the cavern they find exactly what they were seeking.....
Lurking inside this hole in the earth is something they will never forget.... If they can live to remember!

Published August 8th 2010

Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

The First Dragoneer is a short introduction to The Dragoneer Saga by M.R. Mathias. Never having encountered any of the books from this young adult series, I went into this read without any pre-conceived like or dislike for it.

As the misty haze begins to fade from a new reader’s eyes, two teenage boys, Bren and March, begin to take shape upon the pages of this tale. They have been friends for years, growing up together in a tiny settlement on the edge of
Fellshot
Jun 04, 2012 Fellshot rated it did not like it
I think I would have preferred this novella if the characters weren't shallow jerks with no sense or motivation and if they weren't so determined to get a Darwin Award. Seriously! They were more or less interchangeable, to the point that I couldn't care less that anything bad happened to them. I was deeply disappointed that everything was rendered "all better" for little reason and zero motivation. Come on, there has to be someone with common sense in the entire valley!

The plot could not exist b
Sharon
Aug 20, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
The premise of "The First Dragoneer" is a good one. Bren and March are two good friends going on their last hunt before one of them leaves the village. They run into some unanticipated adventures in the process.

M.R. Mathias starts off with a really good idea. However, I found myself distracted by homonym problems (e.g., arrows are properly referred to as "nocked," not "knocked" and one lights a fire using a "tinder box," not a "tender box."). There were several other similar issues that gave awa
Lauren
Nov 06, 2010 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: ipad
This was deceiving; it appeared as though it were a book whereas it is actually the beginning of a book, or two books perhaps. It was quite disappointing.
Sheila
Aug 27, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it
The First Dragoneer by MR Mathias, is a fun adventure story for middle-grade and older. Two young boys face that time when the world changes, when they have to grow up; and though their world is very different from ours, their feelings will be familiar to many readers. March will leave to find his fortune elsewhere. Bren will stay to fulfill his family obligations. And each imagines they’d rather be the other.

The author creates a pleasing “other world” with words that are close enough to familia
Barbara ★
Link to free ebook: http://www.wattpad.com/743217-the-fir...

I stumbled upon this series by accident and thought I'd give it a try when the prelude was free. Friends Brendly and March are hunting in the woods of their kingdom for the final time since March was leaving to find his adventure. During their last hunt, they come across a white stag and decide they cannot kill such a beautiful creature. This is probably the best decision they made that fateful day. When the come across a hidden cave on
T. Tolles
Sep 25, 2010 T. Tolles rated it it was amazing
Wow! Can't wait for 'The Royal Dragoneers' in Oct 2010
I've never written a review before, so bear with me. This Novella was recommended to me and though this is not a genre I usually read I was happily surprised at how much I liked it. Why M.R.Mathias is slumming with Indie writers like me, I'll never know. I have no doubt 'The Royal Dragoneers' will be awesome.

The author draws you into his fantastical vortex from the first chapter and you are compelled to read on whether you want to or not. Th
Evgeny
Aug 26, 2012 Evgeny rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
A prequel to Dragoneer Saga books. Two young boys Bren and March are going on a hunt during which they found a cave. They do exactly what any normal young boys would do - they go exploring it. Unfortunately, they run into trouble while exploring which will change a life of one of them.

This is fairly short story. The ebook also contains first chapter of The Royal Dragoneers. It is not exactly clear how it relates to the prequel. As to the story itself, it is too short to give a good judgment. I w
Richard Jackson
Nov 04, 2010 Richard Jackson rated it liked it
This novella serves as a prequel to The Royal Dragoneers. The novella is about forty three pages long. The remaining twenty or so pages is an excerpt from The Royal Dragoneers.

The author lays a strong foundation for The Royal Dragoneers. His world and characters are constructed with care. The writing is solid. The action is believable. My only complaint is that the last part of the novella feels rushed. This is due in part to the way the novella ended and the fact that a key description is missi
Rebecca
The First Dragoneer was a really interesting novella that hooked me into the story straight away. I’m always a fan of fantasy and this one was definitely interesting. Of the two main characters I believe that Bren was my favourite. There was one part in the novella that I got a huge surprised and was really hoping that things would turn around for the best. Overall, I really enjoyed The First Dragoneer and definitely piqued my interest enough that at some point I shall be reading the series.
D.P. Prior
Aug 24, 2011 D.P. Prior rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The First Dragoneer is a brief induction into the world M.R. Mathias has created for his epic novels. The reader is immediately dropped into the midst of a hunting trip – the last such to be enjoyed by childhood friends, Brendley and March.

It’s an easy task for the reader: the dialogue is so natural and genuine, the descriptions succinct and yet hitting the mark with exactly the right amount of imagery that it almost reads itself. I started to enjoy the tale from the outset because of this decep
Sean
Mar 02, 2017 Sean rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this little taster for the Royal Dragoneers
Eric Townsend
Jan 08, 2013 Eric Townsend rated it liked it
The First Dragoneer is a short prequel to add some depth to one of the main characters that will appear in the second book in the Dragoneer Saga, March. In Mathias’s usual detail-driven and slow-paced style March and his friend Bren take a hunting trip, the last the pair will take together as March prepares to leave their small village. They encounter a few things they didn’t expect, a beautiful creature, a dark and rather large cave, and even a familiar race of being to those who love these typ ...more
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Brendley Tuck and March Weston are best friends. More importantly, like all young men on the verge of becoming an adult, they are deciding what they want to do with the rest of their lives. Brendley does not think he has the options that March does and is envious that his friend can leave Prominence Valley, where they currently live. As best friends, they do not want to leave each other, they have been friends all their lives.

The young men decide to do one last hunting trip together. This huntin
Adrian
Dec 06, 2015 Adrian rated it liked it
My rating: 3.5 stars
Audiobook narrator Christine Padovan rating: 2 stars

I grabbed this book on another Audible sale for the first four books in this series. It sounded mildly interesting and I haven’t heard a good dragon book in a while.

I was first disappointed with the narrator. While she did a good job with somewhat changing her voices for the two main boys, I don’t know what she was doing with the end of each and every sentence. It sounds like there’s an ellipsis (a …) at the end of each sent
Annette McLean
Jul 23, 2012 Annette McLean rated it it was ok
Anyone who knows me, knows I am a sucker for a book about dragons. Fantasy books to me play in my head like a movie as I picture what the characters look like and their mannerisms. So I thought I would give this one ago.

I downloaded this prequel to see if I liked the way it presented it's story.

However, no sooner had I started to read it, in which I felt only a couple of memorable things happen, it seemed to end suddenly, leaving me with a sort of blank feeling. The characters to me were not rea
Melissa
Mar 18, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Going beyond the kingdom's borders, two friends' final hunting trip together turned into a nightmare as they face a ferocious beast living in a cavern they've dared to explore. Bren and March's misadventure led to a grave problem for one of them, and a pledge to fight the coming Confliction for the other. March pledge maybe a desperate act to save Bren, but it also sets in motion the saga of the dragoneers.

There isn't much to say except that this very short book serves as a prequel to the first
Lora
Jun 22, 2011 Lora rated it liked it
I enjoy bromance hunting fantasy immensely, but I'm displeased with how it ended. Several structural problems (inconsistent POV, grammar errors, incorrect word choices like "viscous scream"), plus factual errors (the hunting had a lot of mistakes, particularly with the archery; no hunter would even consider taking a doe and her fawns as trophies; and there were some problems with the injuries) rankled me enough to take off a star.

The biggest thing, though, is that the story builds up this frien
Jaime
Jul 01, 2013 Jaime rated it it was amazing
Let's face it, over the years dragon stories have decreased in value because they're a dime a dozen and all the same. But, Mathias has a gift where he delivers this fascinating tale with heart and conviction, which makes it different and rise above the rest. An added bonus besides his writing talent, is that he has the ability to gain a wide audience because the drama soaked plot contains younger characters that will appeal to YA fans, but the fast paced, action packed storyline commands interes ...more
Gerold Whittaker
Described as a fantasy Prequel Novella, it is very short (43 pages) and a prequel to the Dragoneers series. Two young men, about to go their separate ways into adulthood, go on a hunting trip together. They want the trip to be a memorable one, and indeed, it turns out to be so after they explore a cave.....

The free ebook downloaded from Smashwords includes a few chapters of the follow-on book, The Royal Dragoneers. This I also read and enjoyed, but not enough to buy the rest of the book.
Melanie
Jan 19, 2017 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this after reading "The Royal Dragoneer's" and it didn't disappoint. This being the prequel to the aforementioned book, it took me by surprise because it didn't mention any of the characters from the second book. So that really excited me towards the story line because there are things mentioned that tie it all together and I found that knowledge rewarding. Sometimes in life, looking back, you can see how things were actually tied together that going forward looked disjointed or ...more
Jensen Carter
May 03, 2011 Jensen Carter rated it it was amazing
Having read the preview I am running out of excuses as to why I shouldn't buy this book!

The style is both gripping and fluid leaving enough to the imagination to excite but offering a perfect balance of description. Often fantasy authors get caught up in the complexity of the world they have created and lose out on telling the story itself. This is no such story.

Five stars as there are no faults, it is perfect for the genre and will capture the imagination of many readers; young and old alike.
Scott Collins
Jul 07, 2011 Scott Collins rated it really liked it
While there might have been some editing issues, I found them to be minor and in no way took me out of the story. I am finding that I'm not a big fan of novellas however. They just don't seem to have enough meat to really sink your teeth into. I liked the story and found the characters to be believable but wanted a bit more. Maybe I'll have to go buy The Royal Dragoneers. :) Overall an enjoyable read. I very much enjoy the imagination of MR Mathias.
Christie Silvers
Jun 25, 2011 Christie Silvers rated it it was amazing
Even though I don't normally read this type of story, I found The First Dragoneer intriguing. It's a heartfelt story with great description and characters you can feel good about knowing.

This prequel novella does a nice job at setting up the world they live in for future books in the series. The First Dragoneer will appeal to readers of all ages who enjoy fantasy worlds of dragons, elves and magic.
Justin
Dec 07, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
This short teaser introduction novella did just what is was supposed to do: I got me wanting to dive right into the series. It was a wonderful story of friendship and fantasy.

Set in a world where there are creatures like Dragons, Wyverns, Trolls and Goblins, Mr. Mathias starts to etch his story of a dragon rider named March.

Can't wait to start the series and dive deeper into this world.
ZaBeth  Marsh
Interesting introduction to a fantasy tale. The prequel doesn't really give you much of the story except March's background. March and his best friend go on one last hunting trip before March is leaving. They end up having an adventure. Where this will take them, I guess we'll have to read the rest of the series to find out.
Kirsten
May 20, 2012 Kirsten rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Extremely short but interesting- reminiscent of the Eragon books. I think I will enjoy this prequel in context more as opposed to a standalone prequel.
In general it is well written, suitable for most ages I would say. The world as it has been described so far seems good, and I think the series will help pan out this good idea.
Erisel
Feb 21, 2013 Erisel rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
There were moments where I chuckled because the characters surely thought like teenage boys, and as a woman with a little brother I can appreciate them with the exasperation of an older sister. The tale itself was awesome and while not my cup of tea since I prefer female leads for adventure, it was a nice branch off from my usual.
Laney
May 21, 2011 Laney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
True friends will do anything for each other. M. R. Mathias allows his readers to follow 2 best friends as they embarq together on a journey of self discovery. The boys emotions about their lives & their new adventure are intense. I had to find out what was going to happen next. I am looking forward to meeting all The Dragoneers!
Jenny
Jun 16, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This was a short story that tells the story of Bren and March, 2 good friends that are on their last hunt togther before facing adulthood. Their bonding adventure brings more than excitement than they expected and sets the premise for the series featuring the Dragoneers. Overall this was an interesting tale, but I did get a bit annoyed with characters of the 2 boys at times.
Hurry the FREE Coupon is almost over! 1 14 Aug 22, 2011 06:47AM
  • The Butcher's Boy
  • The Firelight of Maalda (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #2)
  • My Fairytale Life (Vampire Hunter Series, #1)
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • A Circle Of Iron (Eldernost, #1)
  • The Gateway (The Harbinger of Doom Saga, #1 novella length)
  • The Labyrinth
  • Last Flight Out
  • The Queen's Blade (The Queen's Blade, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Born of Fire (Channeler, #0.5)
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • Call of the Herald (The Dawning of Power, #1)
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • Mortal Ghost
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Wolves and War (Planet Wolf, #1)
The jewel you see glowing in the ring in my authors photo isn't really a jewel at all. It is the crystallized tear of a real dragon. In my novel "The Royal Dragoneers" you might find the moment where this wonderfully magical tear drop fell from a green dragons eye and hardened on its way down to land in a mess of troll corpses that the dragon was laying on.

My grandfather died before I was born, bu
More about M.R. Mathias...

The Dragoneers Saga (6 books)
  • The Royal Dragoneers (The Dragoneers Saga, #1)
  • Cold Hearted Son of a Witch (The Dragoneers Saga, #2)
  • The Confliction (The Dragoneers Saga, #3)
  • The Emerald Rider (The Dragoneer Saga, #4)
  • Rise of the Dragon King (The Dragoneers Saga, #5)
  • Blood and Royalty (The Dragoneers Saga, #6)