Start by marking “Coldsleep Lullaby” as Want to Read:
Coldsleep Lullaby

Coldsleep Lullaby

Coldsleep lullaby is a novel set in Stellenbosch. The narrative alternates between two stories, three hundred years apart. The modern story is a police thriller, focusing on Inspector Eberard Februarie, a coloured police officer investigating the murder of a young student, Melanie du Preez.
Published January 1st 2005 by Zebra Press

To ask other readers questions about Coldsleep Lullaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coldsleep Lullaby

dubh
Sep 29, 2011 dubh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-stories
Streckenweise hat mich dieser südafrikanische Krimi an Mankells Krimis erinnert: Detective Februarie ist mindestens genauso düster wie sein schwedischer Kollege Kurt Wallander. Und auch von der Schreibe her, passt der Vergleich ganz gut - Andrew Brown hat ein gutes Händchen für Stimmungen und dies zeigt sich vor allen an Beschreibungen einzelner Orte und seiner Figuren.
Eberard Februarie, von dem man lange nicht weiß, ob er schwarzer oder weißer Hautfarbe ist, hat einen schweren Stand: er hat sic
Michelle
Jun 18, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Random House / Struik
This was my first time reading a book by South African author Andrew Brown and I enjoyed it for a number of reasons.

The book was a compact 260 pages which made it a short intense read considering two stories played out it in it.

The book is set in the Cape Winelands area of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek both present day as well as in past during the early Dutch Settler days.

There are two stories that are told concurrently - one of Melanie du Preez whose body is found present day savagely murdere
Gina
Aug 07, 2010 Gina rated it really liked it
In Stellenbosch, South Africa, I asked the lady in the book store (I'm pretty sure she was the owner) to recommend a book that would give me a flavor of living in South Africa - and it wouldn't hurt if it was there was murder in it! She recommended this:
(from loot.co.za) "Coldsleep lullaby is a novel set in Stellenbosch. The narrative alternates between two stories, three hundred years apart. The modern story is a po
Gabi Cutayar
Jan 02, 2012 Gabi Cutayar rated it really liked it
Coldsleep Lullaby introduces an unlikely hero, Eduard Februarie, and two stories. The parallel of the occurrences in the local area back in the seventeenth century and how they have a significant bearing on the present day murder are carefully stitched together, moving seamlessly to a conclusion which keeps you guessing to the end.
Excellent whodunnit!
Arlene
Jul 10, 2014 Arlene rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just couldn't get into this book. I read the first 3 chapters and it just hadn't grabbed me.
Ani
Oct 12, 2014 Ani rated it really liked it
This book, which highlights lullabies at the beginning of each chapter, incorporates scenes from the 17th century to the present day in Stellenbosch, South Africa. The fascinating characters in the book are juxtaposed against one another and exhibit both evil and good traits. In the past, the power-hungry viticulturist Martin van der Keesel cannot crush the spirit of the young and determined Sanna Boorman who refuses to acknowledge his tyranny. In the present, the disturbed and troubled Detectiv ...more
Icewineanne
Jul 11, 2014 Icewineanne rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
Although this book is being marketed as mystery novel set in South Africa, it is really much more about the tempestuous history of the land, its people and culture. This is a beautifully written book, but one that can also be difficult to read given the savage history of the country.

The story toggles back and forth between two time periods, a favorite literary device of authors these days. I found that the mystery and how the stories were connected was fairly easy to figure out long before the
Buchdoktor
Der Mord an einer jungen Frau in der Gegenwart, die Versklavung Schwarzer zur Zeit der Einführung des Weinanbaus in der Region um Stellenbosch vor 200 Jahren und eine beunruhigende Sammlung von Schlafliedern - diese drei Ebenen führt Andrew Brown in seinem 2005 im englischen Original erschienen Krimi zu einem verblüffenden Ende. Gelöst wird der Fall von Inspektor Eberard Februarie, einem südafrikanischen Ermittler mit Suchtproblemen, der erst wieder an seinen Arbeitsplatz zurückkehren durfte, na ...more
Paulette Folmer
Sep 11, 2014 Paulette Folmer rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. It starts out as a murder investigation, then becomes two different stories, told in two different time periods, linked together to show nature over nurture, but there is so much more than that. For such a short book, it manages to touch on addiction, vice, rape, murder, prejudice, racism, and the history of wine making in South Africa. There are lessons on how people think and perceive others, how actions and reactions create situations beyond the desired results, ...more
Annick
Sep 17, 2013 Annick rated it it was ok
The book was OK to read. I especially liked the flashbacks to the time of slavery, when South Africa was just newly colonised, but at the end found it hard to see the link between the past and the present. A bit far-fetched if you ask me.
The one thing I found annoying in the book, was that they didn't translate the South African language used by one of the main characters. Although South African is supposed to be more or less similar with Dutch, I sometimes found it quite hard to know what the
John Benson
Dec 16, 2014 John Benson rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent murder mystery set in Stellenbosch, South Africa. A few chapters are set in the 18th Century near the town; the rest occur in current times. Eberhard Februarie is assigned to investigate the death of a young white woman who is found naked in the river that flows through the town. The story is written very well, brings out many issues of race that permeate South African life and reaches beyond to look at immigrants to the country. I liked how it moved from intense psychologic ...more
Silverdrake
Sep 20, 2014 Silverdrake rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
Coldsleep Lullabye is well-written and revealed some interesting South African history, but I reached a point involving the salacious underbelly of a nightclub and just didn't want to remain in the head of the main character any longer. I had already anticipated the outcome. I think it would appeal to a different sort of reader. I've overdosed on flawed alcoholic male protagonists and bad fathers.
Suzy
BJ #15, Book #1281
First-in-series. Winner of the Sunday Times FICTION PRIZE.
Detective Eberhard Februarie and his partner, and reservist, Constable Xoliswa Nduku, find the killer of 18-year old, Melanie du Preez.
Strong sense of place. Contrast of two cultures. Contrast of Then vs Now. Speaks to issues of apartheid and the history of Dutch imperialism in South Africa.
Readers who appreciate Carl Mork from the Keeper of Lost Causes/Dept. Q. Series will enjoy underdog Det. Fevruarie.
William
May 10, 2015 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The characters were mostly flawed and even despicable. This included the main detective. The book had some interesting aspects, but the mystery part of it was not much of a mystery. Who was the killer became obvious early. The South African setting and the racial tensions both old and new was of some interest. I knew very little about slavery under the Dutch "Company" that started the colony and still don't.
Marian
I was liking the beginning of this book -- interesting setting (South Africa), interesting dynamic between the main detective and his younger, female, African assistant detective, but then there was this in-depth foray into politics and wine which, I hate to say, I'm not that interested in. Abandoning ship.
Kirk
Dec 13, 2016 Kirk rated it really liked it
I usually dislike stories whose protagonists are alcoholics, but this was an exception. The intertwined stories of 1690s and modern Stellenbosch were confusing as to their purpose at first, but the intent is revealed at the end.

Good writing and editing; the length of the book was appropriate to the contents.
Tuck
south africa noir police procedural slash historical novel of founding of stellenbosch (where the present murder takes place). fear makes people monsters. systemic fear makes societies grotesque.
top notch literary type noir here.
Mary
Nov 27, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: great-mysteries
In Andrew Brown’s “Coldsleep Lullaby,” South African Detective Eberard Februarie investigates the death of the daughter of a prominent conservative activist. The book is compelling and chilling.
Debra Morris
Dec 23, 2014 Debra Morris rated it really liked it
A thoughtful mystery; I like the way out goes back and forth in time, the past informing the present.
Julie
Aug 17, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
A dead girl is our entrance to south African culture. The story proceeds to enlighten us on slavery, entitlement and hidden sexual tensions.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Heston Hoffman
Heston Hoffman rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Payal Sharma
Payal Sharma rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Carmen Botman
Carmen Botman rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2017
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2011
Brian Gunn
Brian Gunn rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2015
Bernadine
Bernadine rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Marcie
Marcie rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Mikedt
Mikedt rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Brown is a journalist and writer; editor of the Belief section of the Guardian's Comment is Free as well as a weekly web column and other work. He is author of "Fishing in Utopia", The Darwin Wars: The Scientific Battle for the Soul of Man, and In the Beginning Was the Worm: Finding the Secrets of Life in a Tiny Hermaphrodite. He has also been Religious Affairs correspondent for the Indepen ...more
More about Andrew Brown...