Hunter's Moon (Doc Ford, #14)

Hunter's Moon (Doc Ford Mystery #14)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,055 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Doc Ford faces his greatest challenge ever, in the stunning new novel by the New York Times-bestselling writer.

Book after book, Randy Wayne White's audience and critical acclaim continue to grow. His most recent thriller, Dark Light, was "one of his brightest novels" (South Florida Sun-Sentinel), "darkly marvelous" (The Miami Herald), "a compelling, readable tale in the...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2007)

Tampa Burn by Randy Wayne WhiteCape Fear by John D. MacDonaldSanibel Flats by Randy Wayne WhiteEverglades by Randy Wayne WhiteTwelve Mile Limit by Randy Wayne White
Sandman's Florida Authors List
15th out of 102 books — 11 voters
90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonThe Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison AllenThis World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer
The Moon on book covers
170th out of 181 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Dave
Mike French
Another page turner from one of favorite authors!
Barbara
This entry in the Doc Ford series is uneven, but a good ride nonetheless. As I've noted before, when the action leaves Sanibel Island, the book tends to lose its readability. Here, Ford is aiding a former president, Kal Wilson, who is dying of leukemia. The ex-president wants to travel to Central America to find a serial killer nicknamed Incendario (real name: Praxcedes Lourdes) whom he believes killed his beloved wife, Wray, years earlier.

Ford is familiar with the killer, having tangled with hi...more
Andrew
The last couple of books I read in the "Doc Ford" series by Randy Wayne White were pretty good. For some writers, that's a decent compliment, but for Randy Wayne White, it's a step down from his previous works.

Then ... I started the CD of Hunter's Moon during my commute to/from work, and I found I was actually disappointed that the drive wasn't longer! I was tempted to drive around the block a couple of times just to get a little more listening time in!! THIS is the Doc Ford I've come to expect...more
Kylie Hood
Loved it. Action packed. Missed sanibel though. The end was odd and had to retreats a few times. What. Did kal ask him to do that he agreed to? What would a dying man ask of ford...and why would ford have to consider. Either way I loved kal Wilson and his love for his wife. The end had a lot of plot jumps that we're hard to follow. But ultimately loved it!
Adam
Piece of shit. Why?
• He consistently describes places and things like this: “Panama is among the most beautiful countries in the world. This was the most beautiful section of Panama.” WTF
• Hhe loves using superlatives.
• All of the following occurs within the first 4 pages: “there was a chance I’d be detained, arrested, or shot, maybe killed… powerful man…travel anonymously in this country? You? (referring to an x-President who show up and wants to spook around)... after the recent controversy… t...more
Sally
A three plus. An action packed,convoluted story about political intrigue. The action moves from the Florida coast to Panama. I liked the character development; good guys and bad.
Mike Debaptiste
Feb 23, 2009 Mike Debaptiste rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: mystery, action, adventure fans
Doc Ford is a retired CIA agent leading a 'secret' life on the west coast of Florida as a marine biologist. But his expertise as an agent is still in demand. In this amazing adventure he is asked by a former president to be his personal bodyguard and 'kidnap' him away from his government bodyguards to meet up with a crazed international serial killer who had killed the former president's wife - and, it just so happens, attempted to kill Doc Ford's young son.

Up-to-the-minute with high-tech espion...more
Marsha
This is the second of the Doc Ford series that I have read and it did not disappoint. This time around Doc Ford reluctantly agrees to help a former, now dying, American president exact retribution on those he believes had a hand in murdering his wife in an incident most of the world believes to have been an accident.

Ford's job is to both obey and keep the man safe; both things not always seeming to be possible at the same time. Through this unpredictable journey the ex president perseveres but...more
Tracy
This is the first I've read of this author's works. It didn't get too political or conspiracy-ish, there was some humor scattered about, and there was enough adventure to keep me hooked.

The thing that kept the rating from 5 stars is the continuity - I listened to this book on audio and more than once checked the jacket to make sure it wasn't an abridged version. (It wasn't) There were occasional jumps either in the plot, the location or the logic at times.

I hope I don't regret just picking a ran...more
Margaret
A Doc Ford thriller. I love the Florida stories and story tellers. This one is more macho and guns blasting than previous books I have read by RWW. The things I liked, it had lots of sailing, and to interesting places - Key West, Panama. Didn't like - the political side, you could tell he was a specific president's fan. One funny scene though, was when Doc Ford attacked a woman he thought was the criminal dressed as a woman, and when she screamed, he thought that the criminal was so surprised/sh...more
Leonard
Mary Sue
Apr 26, 2008 Mary Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: If you like intrigue, adventure and humor this is a good choice.
This one is much better than the last Doc Ford novel. A terminally ill former President of the United States asks (demands)that Doc travel with him to an undisclosed destination. Doc has the mental and physical skills to facilitate what needs to be done, and at times it can be quite humorous. Tomlinson and his boat make the trip possible. Lots of twists and turns. And working directly for POTUS proves to be one of Doc's biggest challenges.
Emily Higgins
Dr. Ford and his friend, Tomlinson, have received a request from a former President to help him achieve one last mission before the President's leukemia overtakes him. The mission takes them to Panama where Ford has accomplished other missions in the past. This book has all of the adventure with numerous twists and turns as have previous Dr. Ford books. Good reading!
Joyce
White's novels are for dreary days when you want to stay home and do 'nothing' because you don't want to put them down! This time he and Tomlinson are working with a former President and back in Central America. There are flight scenes where you are made to feel you are with them on the plane. Great plot and your learn more about the protagonists each book.
Karen
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There were some twists and turns in it I did not expect. The President's speech at the end should be recorded and televised over ever news station in America today. It is what our country needs to hear about how to deal with the terrorist acts that have happened in recent years. That speech alone is worth reading the book.
Alan Baca
audio book;
good reader, OK book, not great
Judy
Aug 19, 2012 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Doc Ford fans
Shelves: kindle, my-2012-books
Another really good installment in the Doc Ford series, one of the best of late. It is a more serious story, and takes place a little bit in southwest Florida, and some in Central America, where Doc and Tomlinson have had adventures before. We learn a bit more (if that's possible) about both of them. Recommended!
Rob
I enjoy the creative and intelligence of Randy Wayne's writing. I enjoyed Hunter's Moon, but I was somewhat disappointed in the books race to conclusion, though the ending was a nice wrapup of the theme, plot and story development. Dr. Ford is a compelling character who is equipped to handle problems!
David Ward
Hunter's Moon by Randy Wayne White (G.P.Putnam's Sons 2007) finds Doc Ford and Tomlinson in South America carrying out a hit at the request of a former president. It has less of a naturalist slant than the others I've read in the series. My rating: 6/10, finished 8/18/12.
Eli
Jan 26, 2013 Eli added it
Really enjoyed this next entry in the Doc Ford series. RWW enjoys doling out yet a few more tidbits of the backstory for Doc and Tomlinson. Did not see this one coming. Headed to the library to pick up Black Widow today!
Jeff
Just what I was pining for...a good old time bashing heads with my favorite special forces psycho trained killer turned affable marine biologist, Doc Ford...

Not the best in the series, not the worst...mostly good times...
Pat
Dec 31, 2010 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Doc Ford helps a former President revenge the death of his wife. A good action mystery, but the speech the former president gives at the end of the book is the highlight. It could be America's 21st century creed.
Klundeen24
Too gory and violent for me. The hero seemed to be almost as much a cold-blooded killer as the bad guy he was going after. I felt no sympathy for him, and was not particularly rooting for him.
Jimmy Henderson
This is one of my favorite Doc Ford books yet, and there have been a few so far. Great plot, high suspense, and it moves very fast. By the way, can you tell that I really love the series, cuz I do!!
Steve
The 14th Doc Ford Florida thriller.
Marine biologist Ford gets an unusual commission from Kal Wilson, a former one-term president who recently lost his wife in a mysterious plane crash.
Judy
Plenty of action, even the faint-of-heart and the weak-of-stomach can enjoy this one. Even better, the reader is not subjected to Doc's somewhat tedious love life.
trickgnosis
A page turner but not my favorite Doc Ford entry. A bit heavy on some of the genre cliches and not enough of the settings and characters that distinguish the series.
Joey
This was a pretty good action novel, not very complicated and very easy to read, just the thing if you're looking for something to escape and not have to think too much.
Becky
okay. Ford was okay but Tomlinson was kind of ridiculous as a side kick. This was my first time readin this author and I will try others of his.
  • Key West Connection
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Bahamarama
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Torpedo Juice
  • Trouble
  • The Ever-Running Man (Sharon McCone, #25)
  • Mounting Fears (Will Lee, #7)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has...more
More about Randy Wayne White...
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands