Start by marking “The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)

The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"Christine Barber is new to the Southwest in the sense that The Replacement Child is her first novel. But she has a great feel for the territory and for the family connections that enforce its strong community bonds."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW

Every year, the people of Santa Fe gather together for the burning of a four-story-tall figure called Zozobra, a local custom t
Published July 6th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published June 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Fire

Tom M
(3.5)

At the New Mexican Fiesta de Santa Fe, an effigy of Zozobra is burned. Zozobra symbolizes gloom and at it's base, people burn the effigy and in a box at it's base, things that make them sad, depressed, etc. Except this year, in addition to the ashes of the petitions of the people, bones of a young child are found. Following the Zozobra bones, more arrays of human bones are being found at various religious displays around Santa Fe.

The Bone Fire is a whodunit without the Colonel Parker in the
Bondama
I picked up this book on a whim, primarily because it was set in my native New Mexico. I was surprised and delighted to find that Ms. Barber is not only an excellent thriller writer, she is obviously a native of New Mexico - who takes time to explain the many differences between the culture of this (to most) "Unknown" state.

She delights in a recipe for carne avovada, which I don't think anyone outside the state knows about (well-kept secret - how to enjoy the top of one's head blowing off!!) The
Lucinda
The Bone Fire (Minotaur 2010) finds newspaper editor Lucy Newroe struggling to balance her job and her passion for volunteering as an Emergency Medical Technician in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The discovery of a small skull in the ashes left behind after the burning of Zozobra, Old Man Gloom, at the Fiesta de Santa Fe, prompts Detective Sergeant Gilbert Montoya to re-open the cold case of the disappearance of toddler Brianna Rodriguez, believed to have drowned in a flash flood over a year earlier. Th ...more
Donny Hilgeman
I love finding another writer I can add to my favorites. Barber writes a good procedural set in amazing Santa Fe. I'm now heading straight for her third book in the Montoya series. Relatable human characters, a beautiful setting, and great story-telling makes for a read that is hard to put down.
LeeAnne
This is the second book in this series and so far, there isn't a third. I REALLY hope the author continues because this is and excellent series. It may be that my love of New Mexico colors my opinion but there is a lot of really good stuff going on in this one. I love that the characters are so deeply drawn and very human. The cops don't have all the answers and occasionally, the reporter actually has a moral compass. This book is gritty and hard to take at times (theme-wise) with lots of twists ...more
Chris Schmidt
The book clearly establishes the crime and the suspects. Then, for 3/4 of the book, the author develops the plot creatively, using the mystery of the bones to intrigue the reader. With only a few chapters left in the book, the detectives realize they have all been making erroneous assumptions that have invalidated everything that has come before, and the bones have indeed been used as a bizarre art form rather than as a lurid mutilation. With this discovery, the plot shifts in a totally differen ...more
John Price
I read half of this book and never could connect with it. Cannot recommend as I was bored with it from the beginning.
Annie Michelle
not as good as the last one....
Candace
Jan 17, 2014 Candace rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of SW US mysteries
I enjoyed the second book in this series more than the first, largely because the author felt much more confident and comfortable in her story-telling. A good yarn, with a not-so-obvious resolution.
Julie
I wish Goodreads had half stars. So many times I want to give a book 3 1/2 stars, this book included. I love her descriptions of Santa Fe and the culture, people, etc. The suspects in this book are all kind of creepy in their own way, with one very dysfunctional family at the center, but she weaves a nice tale and I really enjoyed the book.
Catherine Woodman
This is an average murder mystery--where the plot is reasonably straight forward--two threads to the mystery--who kille the toddler and who was her father--the two are related, and there is alot of baggage that goes with the answer to that question, as well as an examination of childhood sexual abuse and the effect on those around the victims, but the writing is average--I would definitely read another by this author.
Monica
Well Lucy Newroe is a little too Nancy Drew, but with an alcohol problem and impulse control issues and Detective Sergeant Gil Montoya is a little too Dudley Doright. There's incest, child murder, a tow truck scam that targets immigrants and an ashram full of militant feminist Sikh wannabees. And I didn't totally hate it,(some of the Santa Fe stuff is interesting) but didn't like it much.
Wendy
My late husband would fondly describe New Mexico often. He was actually a State Trooper in Albuquerque.
Christine Barber flawlessly describes the state's people, culture, land and architecture. The mystery is interesting with enough twists, turns and intrigue to keep the reader going. I am now in love with New Mexico.
John Kues
A good read, I like her style of writing, though I found multiple typos. She writes from serveral characters viewpoints, and as usual with this type of story it is frustrating when you wish they would talk to each other, but it sort of lends a bit of believable tension to the story.
Kelly
One of the best this year. I know it's only January, but this will make a short list for 2011. Now to go back and read her first book!
Susan
This is a new author for me - very good character development and really colorful telling of Santa Fe culture.
Cathy
Loved it. Second of her books on Santa Fe - Zozobra makes for an interesting background story to the story.
Rebecca Williamson
Terrific setting, but disturbing plot about child abuse. Characters didn't hold my interest.
Liz
Good- like all the Santa Fe details
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Grace Ryder
Grace Ryder marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
  • Dolly Departed (Gretchen Birch, #3)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Hades
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Reel Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #2)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #2)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1) When the Devil Doesn't Show (Gil Montoya Mystery #3) Winter Wonderland: A Short Story By: