Start by marking “Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1)

Ruby Red (The Ruby Red Trilogy #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  60,677 ratings  ·  6,459 reviews
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, a
Hardcover, US Edition, 336 pages
Published May 10th 2011 by Henry Holt (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby Red, please sign up.

Ariane Yes, of course! l read it for the first time when I was eleven and it's a really funny love story.
Ruby Red by Kerstin GierEmerald Green by Kerstin GierSaphirblau by Kerstin GierThe Clay Lion by Amalie JahnParallel Roads (Lost on Route 66) by Dennis Higgins
Best YA Travel time
1st out of 135 books — 385 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
255th out of 10,190 books — 66,582 voters

More lists with this book...

Sasha Alsberg
I'll be uploading my review to my YouTube channel abookutopia!! (I review both the book & the movie).
Loved this book!!!

Okay! So it's the 27th now, and I'm ready to write my review. The first thing that should be apparent is that I loved this book. I gave it 5/5 stars, and it kept me up into the ridiculous hours of the night on both of the days that I read it. I recommend it to all!

Now, let's break it up.

Firstly, plot. One of the main reasons I loved this book was because it was constantly exciting. The plot kept up at a grea
Emily May
DNF - 25%

Consider checking out Tatiana's review before reading this book, as I should have done. Because there's nothing terribly wrong with Ruby Red other than the fact that it feels very young and immature. I think I would have loved this about 10 years ago, but now the silliness and mental age of the narrator is off-putting.

The characters are in their mid-to-late teens but all of them feel like middle school kids. Take these two early scenes:

Mr Whitman took Gordon's test back from him, turned
Kat O'Keeffe
Loved this book! Gwen is such a charming and funny character, her voice and personality were great! The time travel aspect was well thought out, and I'm really liking how the main mystery is developing. Definitely looking forward to finishing this trilogy! (Even though the third book doesn't come out until OCTOBER! *sigh*)

Full review to come!
Christine Riccio
I had so much fun reading this book. I love the narrator! I just posted my booktalk/discussion: =D
Apr 18, 2011 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tween girls
I knew Ruby Red wouldn't be quite my type of YA lit after reading first couple of pages of it. Even though the main character, Gwyneth, is 16 going on 17, she sounds about 12. Naturally, a quick decision-maker that I am, I made up my mind to drop it right after finishing chapter 1. After finishing chapter 1 I decided to drop it after chapter 2, and so it went...

Gwyneth is a member of the family of time-travelers. Every other generation or so her family produces a girl who starts uncontrollably t

Well, this was quite interesting and unique! I haven't read anything like this yet! I didn't love it as much as other young adult books out there, but I think that's mainly because I listened to this as an audiobook, which I've never done before. It took me a while to get used to the reader's posh British accent but eventually I really got into it! The story is centered in England so it was kind of fitting anyway.

First of all, I loved the whole time traveling idea and
Duchess Nicole
Sometimes I really wonder what young adults see in certain young adult books. This series has pretty good ratings but I just don't see it. I was so bored for the first eighty percent of the book. I felt as if I had no idea who this heroine really was. I don't even think it says how old she is until late in the book, which left me feeling a little off about her character. Since each year makes a big difference when it comes to teens, not knowing if she was twelve or seventeen was weird. So much o ...more
I decided I was going to take some time to percolate my ideas for this book, but it's still up in the air what I exactly think. Had some aspects I liked (i.e. time-travel), and others I didn't (i.e. the arc of the story).

All right synopsis first: Gwen is a sixteen-year-old girl who lives in London (the book was written in German originally so I'm not sure why that setting was chosen). Normal enough, but she comes from a family who can time-travel. Thankfully the gene bypassed her and was given t

Before I delve into this review I first want to point something out - I should NEVER have picked up this book. Why you may ask? Well, because this does not even remotely sound like a book I would enjoy. The blurb alone would be evidence enough of that, two particular sentences stand out the most:

"can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesley, watching movies and talking about boys."

Oh and it gets worse...

"He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen i
“Ready when you are.”

Ruby red, with G major, the magic of the raven, brings the Circle of Twelve home into safe haven.

This book is incredibly mind-blowing.
Time travel. Chronograph. Ghost-encounter.
With a good amount of suspense and mystery.
So incredible and fast paced! (it is so hard to write a good short novel)
I flew right through it, and there was a point about mid way through the book where I was kinda confused but not once was the writing ever bad.
3.8 stars!
Καλό, ωραία υπόθεση, ενδιαφέρον και ψαγμένος κόσμος: μια θεία που βλέπει οράματα, ένας μαυροντυμένος που παρακολουθεί το σπίτι από τη γωνία, χαμένοι συγγενεις, φαντάσματα, ένας μπάτλερ που μοιάζει να το έσκασε από τον 18ο αι., ένας υπερόπτης (αν και κούκλος) νεαρός, για να μην μιλήσω για τα ταξίδια στο χρόνο και τα ατελείωτα γενεαλογικά δέντρα που σκαρφίστηκε η συγγραφέας.
Όμως κάπου το γλυκό δεν έδεσε. Tο περίμενα πολύ καλύτερο, διότι πάνω από το μισό βιβλίο έχει αρκετά αργή πλοκή, πολλές περιτ
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Gonna read this gonna read this hooray

Sí,me gustó, me gustó, me gustó y muuuuucho.

En Ruby Red nos encontramos con una historia sobre viajeros del tiempo. Se centra en la vida de Gwendolyn, una adolescente de 16 años que al parecer nunca imaginó que ella podía ser la portadora del "especial gen familiar". Este gen especial es poder viajar al pasado. Cuando ocurre el llamado salto (que sería cambiar de una época a otra) puede estar 10 segundos, 30 minutos o 3 horas en el mismo lugar en el que se encontraba antes de saltar pero en otra
Brittain (Tara Belle Talking)

Unpopular opinion time!

I came so incredibly close to DNF-ing this. A bunch of my friends gave lovely reviews to this book but I saw Rachel had given it a one star and I was immediately apprehensive. We tend to have similar taste, especially with fantasy (and wedding dresses) or whatever the hell this was so I should have known better.

I have never been so bored with a fantasy novel. I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did. Yes, we get that Gwyneth is is special and she has powers
Stand: 2010

Warum das Buch eines der besten Jugendbücher ist und ihr es deshalb lesen solltet?

1. Der humorvolle Schreibstil
Zunächst einmal die ganzen Wortspiele. Wie beispielsweise "... dass in der Vergangenheit nicht mehr alles so ist wie es mal war" Dann die unglaublich witzigen Stellen, in denen versucht wird, die deutschen Tempora anzuwenden. Aber Konjunktiv mit Vergangenheit UND Futur ist eben nicht möglich ^^ Wenn etwas schon passiert ist, was noch passieren wird... Außerdem die lustigen, f
Elii Vela
Voy a empezar diciendo que la portada no es mucho de mi agrado, era una de las cosas por la que me costó mucho decidirme a abrirlo; no me gusta la portada original tampoco, pero sí la francesa. Después de haber leído el libro y viendo la portada pues sí, esa llave se trae un misterio que me me intriga mucho...

Gwendolyn es una adolescente -y mi enorme agradecimiento a la autora por haberla descrito como tal (luego hallamos unas que pecan de tontas, que bueno...)-, que le encanta ver películas, es
My mind is literally blown at this moment. All I am really capable of doing is gaping at the computer screen and desperately wishing the sequel, SAPPHIRE BLUE, was available now. Or that my German skills were better so I could tackle book 2 in its original form.

This book is SO. GOOD. Buy it--don't even wait to read this review. Just run to the nearest store or library and start reading.

First of all, Gwyneth is one of the most likable heroines ever. Yes, truly. Ever. She's hilarious, brave, cleve
What a fun read!
Francisca Viegas
You can also find this review at

Ruby Red was a really nice surprise. I have always been fascinated by the concept of time-travelling, but I had never read a book in which it was the main issue. This book has it all - history, science-fiction, witty and funny dialogue, intriguing characters and even a little bit of fantasy.
I was a tiny bit disappointed that this was such a small book. It felt a little like an introduction to the actual story. When I was so exci
This book got it all.
It s funny, it s making you angry, its making you puzzling.
The lovestory (all of them) are clean and making your heartbeat going faster within 2 phrases.

A lot of you guys were complaining about how childish Gwen acted sometimes. That she is like a 12 year old instead of 16.

I have an opinion about that. You may not like it and I m sorry if that is so.
Becoz of my work, I see a lot of 16 year old girls and I can remember when I used to be 16 ;)
I was childish sometimes, a
first read May 2009

When I found out about this book I knew I had to buy it. Simply because the cover is so very pretty! Plus, it is written by Kerstin Gier. You can't go wrong with that.

To be honest, I expected some kind of vampire novel regarding the cover. I am kinda glad that I was wrong. Although I wasn't very convinced that I would like the time travel part. But Kerstin Gier proved me wrong. The time travel is kinda logical, exciting and mysterious. Gwen is a very nice heroine and Gideon is
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
it was a generally good book. At some parts though the main character (Gwyneth), for lack of words, acts fake. The dialogue between her and her best friend are also at times fake sounding but other than that it was very good. There was action in both the present day and the past and there was a good budding relationship between Gwyneth and Gideon. I would recommend it.
Dee ♡
WHAT! THAT is how it ends?!
O M G !!
I need the next one! This was fun

My full review can be found here
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
4.5/5 stars!! Probably will do a series review of this one :)
I could not... finish this one. I tried. For weeks i've tried to get into the story which is why I didn't add any other books on my currently reading, but I could not finish it.

At first I thought it was okay, but as the story goes, it gets boring. Too many wasted scenes. Too many wasted pages. The main character, Gwen, just keeps on wasting time. She didn't want to tell anyone that she feels she's the time travelling person and not her cousin. Twice she had the chance to tell someone. She didn'
Lily Pis
Non ho niente di brillante da dire a parte che inizio subito il secondo libro!
Ruby Red is an international bestseller, I've had many of my German friends/readers telling me that this book was coming to the US and that I HAD to read it! Thanks to all of you that emailed me about this book! You were right! It's fantastic!

I haven't read a book that's been translated before... that I can think of anyway, but I didn't notice anything in particular that would have made me think that. It was written really well and translated very well! This novel is part of a trilogy and I must
English VS German version 2 9 Nov 29, 2015 05:03AM
Watching this movie online 78 1589 Nov 25, 2015 06:53PM
Does anyone know where to watch the movie in english subs? 12 1701 Nov 23, 2015 10:03PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier 4 12 Nov 14, 2015 07:30AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier 4 24 Nov 11, 2015 02:35PM
Addicted to YA: Ruby Red 42 335 Aug 21, 2015 12:20AM
Fangirleamos en u...: ¿Ya habéis empezado Rubí? 4 9 Aug 12, 2015 12:52PM
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Faunblut
  • Der Kuss des Kjer
  • Nebezpečná láska (Bavettovi, #1)
  • Lucian
  • Éxodo (Éxodo, #1)
  • Erebos
  • Die magische Gondel (Zeitenzauber, #1)
  • The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding, #1)
  • Odstíny života (Odstíny života, #1)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Torrent (River of Time, #3)
  • Die Katastrophe (Das Tal Season 1, #2)
  • Dark Passage (Dark Mirror, #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Dark Canopy (Dark Canopy, #1)
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
Kerstin Gier is the bestselling author of the Ruby Red trilogy, as well as several popular novels for adults.
More about Kerstin Gier...

The Ruby Red Trilogy (3 books)
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein Trilogie, #2)
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein Trilogie, #3)

2 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“You were talking to that niche in the wall again, Gwyneth. I saw you."

"Yes, but it's my favorite bit of wall, Gordon. I'd hurt its feelings if I didn't stop and talk to it.”
“If we were in a film, the villain would turn out to be the least-expected person. But as we aren’t in a film, I’d go for the character who tried to strangle you.” 392 likes