Start by marking “Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach” as Want to Read:
Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach

Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,706 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
For one or two-semester, undergraduate or graduate-level courses in Artificial Intelligence. The long-anticipated revision of this best-selling text offers the most comprehensive, up-to-date introduction to the theory and practice of artificial intelligence. View chapters 3 and 4 from the Third Edition.
Published 2010 by Pearson (first published December 13th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Artificial Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artificial Intelligence

Nick Black
Heh, I opened this up to find the ISBN and found dried blood all over the pages, suggesting I read this during my cocaine-intensive period back in 1999-2000. That's fitting, since cocaine and the study of artificial intelligence seem to enjoy several similarities -- incredible expense as a barrier to entry, exciting short-term effects (see: euphoria, A* search) but letdowns upon prolonged use (see: addiction, combinatorial explosions), and they've both ruined plenty of fine careers in computer s ...more
Manny
This monumental work, which completely dominates the AI textbook market, has been compared with classics like Watson's Molecular Biology of the Cell, and eminently succeeds in its goal of providing a clear, single-volume summary of the whole field of Artificial Intelligence. As pointed out on the book's home page, it is used in over 1200 universities in over 100 countries, and is the 25th most cited publication on Citeseer and the 2nd most cited publication of this century. The occasional sugges ...more
Wooi Hen Yap
Jul 31, 2011 Wooi Hen Yap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wants a book that explains broad and deep AI yet in laymen term (nearly)? This is IT. Of all the AI books I have read, this one is arguably the most accessible to undergrads (CS, EE background) It assumes only minimal mathematical formalities and pretty much the maths things are self-contained. The authors did a great job of keeping the contents up-to-date with the latest happenings in AI, while keeping the readers sane. Overall, thumbs up!
Paul
Apr 07, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars because there is, quite simply, no substitute.

Artificial Intelligence is, in the context of the infant science of computing, a very old and very broad subdiscipline, the "Turing test" having arisen, not only at the same time, but from the same person as many of the foundations of computing itself. Those of us students of a certain age will recall terms like "symbolic" vs. "connectionist" vs. "probabilistic," as well as "scruffies" and "neats." Key figures, events, and schools of thought
Koen Crolla
Jan 14, 2011 Koen Crolla rated it really liked it
Holy balls this book has a lot of pages. I also don't know why these things always have to have separate ``international'' editions.

It starts off strongly for a few hundred pages, but then for no reason at all devotes several chapters to high school-level probability and statistics, before devolving into essentially pointless mathematical show-boating for another few hundred pages. Then it finishes off with an interesting but not really relevant and highly unrigorous (not to mention typo-ridden)
Carl
Aug 06, 2008 Carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
For a textbook, this is amazingly accessible and interesting. if you have any interest in the topic, this is the book to read. It's $100 or more, but it's very popular for AI classes, so any good college library should have a copy.
Arjun Balaji
Dec 19, 2014 Arjun Balaji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
A fantastic textbook that's not only a great introduction to AI but also serves as a survey course in technical writing. I only read about 75% of it but definitely plan on revisiting it. Re-reading some earlier chapters taught me how much I missed on a first read (or forgot).

AIMA doesn't presume a ton of background beyond some programming experience, exposure to mathematical notation, and a basic understanding of computational complexity/algorithmic efficiency.

The first 10 chapters or so are the
Mohammed
Dec 25, 2014 Mohammed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يعتبر هذا الكتاب أهم مرجع للدارس في مجال الذكاء الاصطناعي. الكتاب يعتبر مقدمة لمواضيع كبيرة جدا و متشعبة، فعيتبر بداية التخصص في الذكاء الاصطناعي. يتناول الكتاب مواضيع في تعلم الآلة وخوارزميات البحث وحل المشكلات. بعض أجزاء الكتاب تعبر من المراجع النادرة وخصوصا في فيما يتعلق بموضع الـ reinforcement learning.
مؤلفي الكتاب بيتر نورفق و روسيل من الرواد في مجال الذكاء الاصطناعي.
Luis
Jul 01, 2008 Luis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs
A bit boring. Lacks good solved exercises. Very short on detail in some areas such as Neural Networks. Very "theoretical".
However it does provide a good theoretical introduction to many subjects. I liked the chapters on search.
Nakosy
Mar 07, 2011 Nakosy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was written more like a text book for undergrads with extensive coverage of many topics. However, I was looking for more in-depth information on knowledge representation. But, it was too superficial for my need. May be, in 3rd edition it encompassed the latest ideas in this area.
Drew
Dec 17, 2007 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
A comprehensive course in modern AI topics. While the book is dense with information, the authors provide clear explanations that will be easily picked up by the careful reader. An excellent companion to an undergraduate course in artificial intelligence.
Hasnaa
Jan 20, 2016 Hasnaa rated it really liked it
من المراجع النادرة في الكلية اللي لقيت عقلي قادر على استيعاب كلامها :D
أسلوب بسيط وممتع كمان، للي مهتم بالمجال أو مش مهتم بس مضطر يقرأ فيه
في الحالتين لطيف

المشكلة الوحيدة طوله الرهيب، أتمنى ألحق أخلص أكبر قدر ممكن قبل الامتحان

Shahriar Hossain
We call ourself Homo sepiens - man the wise .....
Erik
Sep 02, 2013 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK so I did not read this cover to cover, but I did look closely at much of what you might call the foundational chapters, just to see 1. is there such a thing as AI, or are we just hoping there will be and 2. what can I learn as a philosopher from AI, whether it exists or not. Goal 2 was much more important as I teach a logic of induction class and of course one major pillar of AI would be developing machines that can perform judgments under uncertainty and apply rational heuristics as well as ...more
Daniel Korzekwa
May 07, 2011 Daniel Korzekwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most complete and comprehensive book I read on a subject of Artificial Intelligence so far and it's very well written as well. If you plan diving into AI really seriously and you are keen to invest some good amount of time going through 1000 pages of this book then I really recommend it for you. Great addition to this book is A.I. course https://www.ai-class.com/home/ led by coauthor of this book, Peter Norvig and Sebastian Thrun, a Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engine ...more
David
It's a pricey book. It was used in my university on AI. It covers many AI topics including intelligent agents, searching, knowledge representation, machine learning, etc. There are enough examples, but not enough good and clear examples. The book is heavily biased towards First Order Logic as the way to do knowledge representation, making it good on Bayesian networks. Other topics like neural networks and machine vision would be better off read elsewhere. Overall, the book is not for light readi ...more
Patrick Jennings
Pretty much THE book to have on comprehensive artificial intelligence. AI: A Modern Approach is used in schools and universities across the globe. Don't expect implementations in anything but general pseudocode in this book. Although, you may check the repository at aima.cs.berkeley.edu.
Carl-Erik Kopseng
Mar 03, 2011 Carl-Erik Kopseng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faglitteratur
One of the best technical books I have read, albeit on a hard topic. It's quite readable and a lot better than my AI lectures ever were. Must admit to only reading the first 12 chapters though.

Its main weakness lies in the lacking coverage of "new AI" topics, such as evolutionary algorithms.
Franta
May 16, 2012 Franta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs-programming
What a nice and useful book!

All the main AI (before 2000 or so) is here and the accompanying code in lisp and python is a good way to learn about the implementation details.

I will surely remember this book when I am writing a similar one!
Jamison Dance
Mar 20, 2012 Jamison Dance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic introduction to the field. Peter Norvig and Stuart Russell are great writers, and do a good job of explaining the concepts. Sometimes their bias shows, but that is something I am willing to put up with for a book that covers the field so well.
James Ravenscroft
Jan 05, 2012 James Ravenscroft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
This is THE book to read on anything to do with modern artificial intelligence. I regard this as my personal bible and would recommend it to anyone who is involved in technical artificial intelligence.
Mahmoud Adly
That paradox of loving AI and hating the journey the center of math. Any ways, it is a reference after all. At least I know where to go when I have a problem.
ali
Mar 20, 2007 ali is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: computer student
abut artificial intelligence
Fredrik Österberg
Feb 28, 2017 Fredrik Österberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies
A very accessible overview of AI, still being kept up to date and relevant. Requires some basic programming and maths knowledge, but an undergrad shouldn't have any issues if they take the time to read the appendixes about probability and psuedocode.

Some editions (I think the International ones) butchered the contents a bit and should be avoided.
Kai
Nov 07, 2016 Kai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it
This book is an awe-inspiring brick already from its outlook, and its content is full of recipes on different levels of abstraction. There are no wonders or miracles here, as a naive reader new to the concepts of Artificial Intelligence might expect. In public discussion the field is often smiled upon, as we humans are still feeling so much superior to Siri or the Google Translator. Yet have you ever wondered what exactly your e-mail-box's spam filter does for you? Or how your credit card provid ...more
Karl Niebuhr
Feb 18, 2017 Karl Niebuhr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the university course
Gleb
Jan 15, 2017 Gleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I only read the introduction, the first chapter and chapters 22-24 (the one's concerning natural language processing and computer communication), and bits that I needed to read throughout the rest of the book to understand particular terms.

Of the parts that I read, the authors were very understanding of their audience. I cannot say if the chapters had a sort of natural 'build' to them with every page, but there was a good level of assumed understanding of math and computers that made the text a
J
May 20, 2012 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impressive, and not just physically. Comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of both symbolic-logical and probabilistic-statistical approaches to intelligence and learning, assuming no prior knowledge beyond basic algorithmic literacy. The chapters on Machine Learning cover much of the same material as Tom Mitchell's Machine Learning, and are a useful complement. As a humanities graduate, I appreciated the contextual historical-bibliographic section at the end of each chapter, and Russell ...more
Jean-marc
Nov 10, 2011 Jean-marc rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and comprehensive book on the different aspects of artificial intelligence (AI). I am attending Stamford cs221 online class (fall 2011) and I am also a member of the team translating the videos from English to French. Peter Norvig is a great teacher. The book and the videos complement each another very well. Even if you are not taking the course, or after you have took it, this book is a superb reference on the subject for graduate students and professionals alike. I highly recommend i ...more
Anca
Well, still left with about 150 pg that were left out of the curriculum but maybe I'll finish it this summer. Maybe. The second part was definitely harder to wade through, probably since the problems that a solution was attempted to were more similar to real life (i.e., involving a lot of variables and uncertainty) and also because ahem, probabilties! but it was still readeable for an undergrad like myself. Feels like an achievement. Hopefully I'll pass.
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Machine Learning
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
  • Modern Operating Systems
  • PROLOG: Programming for Artificial Intelligence
  • Speech and Language Processing: An Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics and Speech Recognition
  • Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
  • The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set
  • Practical Common LISP
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
  • Probabilistic Graphical Models: Principles and Techniques
  • Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
  • ANSI Common Lisp

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
More about Stuart Russell...

“The classical example of multiple inheritance conflict is called the 'Nixon Diamond.' It arises from the observation that Nixon was both a Quaker (and hence a pacifist) and a Republican (and hence not a pacifist).” 2 likes