Start by marking “Glory Lane” as Want to Read:
Glory Lane

Glory Lane

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,217 ratings  ·  45 reviews
THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE IS IN THEIR HANDS

Seeth, a bored punk rocker looking for excitement. Miranda, an air-head beauty who lives to shop. And Kerwin, a nerd who just wants to fit in.

They're not friends, and they don't even particularly like each other. But now this unlikely trio is the key to saving the universe. And they're in for the adventure of a their lives.

Speed-of...more
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published August 1st 1987 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Glory Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory Lane

Scott Rhee
Attempting to (I'm guessing) jump on the sci-fi humor bandwagon made popular by Douglas Adams in the '80s, Alan Dean Foster wrote this silly little novel, "Glory Lane" way back in 1987. It's okay, nothing superb. It does nothing to add to or enhance the sub-genre of science fiction comedies. If it does anything well, though, it strikes a nostalgic chord in my heart for those wonderfully silly sci-fi comedy movies that, for some reason, were extremely popular in the '80s. I'm talking about classi...more
Patrick
Found this book in the attic the other day. I remember it vaguely from when I was a kid, and I decided to read it. It has one of those wacky scifi covers that despite my better judgment I am forever a sucker for, and the book itself lived up to (or down to) my expectations.

I've also blandly been interested in Alan Dean Foster because to me he is one of the most successful hack science fiction writers ever, having written novelizations of everything from Alien to Star Wars franchise filler. The o...more
Steve Bouchard
Had I rated this back in Junior High when I first read it, I'd have given it 5 stars. But now, a few (ahem) years later, I've got to bump that down a notch. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun read. I enjoy Foster's work a lot. This falls into his humorous SF category, so it's not as deep as some of his other work. Here he's shooting for light-hearted fare, and he's hit the mark with that.

There's the usual tropes: sterotypical characters (the punk, the geek, and the beauty-queen shopping girl); and t...more
Michael
This is, thus far, the worst book I have ever read.

I can handle and sometimes enjoy Foster's work, but when the smug Neanderthal showed up and told the protagonist in no uncertain terms that his species was MUCH smarter than Homo sapiens, I wanted to strangle the book.

Thankfully, it didn't have a neck.
Mary JL
Jan 07, 2009 Mary JL rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one really--Foster has beeter books out there read them
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Alan Dean Foster is a prolific writer. Therefore, of course, some of his booksare better than others.

This was one of the less sucessful stories---tried to be funny; seemd a bit pointless. Recommended for Sf fans who have read everything else or are die-hard fans of Alan Dean Foster.
Ron
Larry Wright
"Splinter of the Mind's Eye" was my first sci-fi read so I've an everlasting fondness for Foster. However, the author lost my trust (and this book a reader) when his purportedly punk rock protagonist cited The Grateful Dead as one of his favorite bands. You'd think that the Dead would be right in the wheelhouse of the Spellsinger author yet, like my dad's redneck friend, he seems to think that they're a punk band. Recognizing this fallibility was almost as devastating as learning that most of my...more
Lin
Me: Hey, Danny.
Danny: Yeah?
Me: Glumelmerk.
Danny: Oh, OK.
Crystal Starr Light
I have read Alan Dean Foster's Star Wars books and was told to try out some of his non-Star Wars books. I tried Codgerspace but was unimpressed. Nonetheless, I decided to plug through this highly rated book.

Plot:
Seeth is a punk rocker. Kerwin is a college student. Miranda is a blonde bombshell. This trio meets up with Arthwit Rail, an alien in possession of Izmir, a strange being that no one is quite sure of. When Rail is chased by Oomenians who want Izmir back, the three humans are whisked away...more
Shane
I very nearly continued with this one, but in the end decided that with all the books waiting to be read in this world, not finishing Glory Lane by Alan Dean Foster is something that I feel I can live with.

It wasn't a bad book, as such. Just not the great piece of humorous sci-fi I felt it should have been. What didn't help in my case was my inability to really empathize with the protagonist, Seeth, the punk. Initially I was quite taken with this idea of having a punk as a lead character but I f...more
Jeffery Moulton
Ok, I admit, this book probably doesn’t deserve a 5-star rating. It is a ton of fun but far from perfect. In particular, the resolution is a bit too, “click your heels together and say ‘there’s no place like home’” for me. And the characters could really use some more depth. And the story is a bit of a cliche. But for me the nostalgia factor overrides all it’s flaws.

Except for Star Wars books, Glory Lane was one of the first science fiction books I ever read as a kid—and I loved it. It is a sill...more
Kay Rowland
I have had to buy 3 copies of this book. I keep reading it over and over. Foster has captured the 80's perfectly. From the wannabe punk rock-heavy metal-headbanger to the air-headed Valley Girl, every character comes to life, even the jock boyfriend who only appears on the first couple of chapters.

I especially liked the culture shock that the three teens experienced when they were landed on Nedsplan in the capitol city of Alvin. Finding out that they were now the highly developed people they tho...more
Ed Nemo
In 1987 when this book came out I was a Punk Rocker. Green Mohawk, lots of metal in my ears, and a black biker jacket. The only difference 24 years later is that my hair is brown, I have larger gauge plugs, more tattoos and a better black biker jacket. This novel stuck out to me because it had a punk on the cover. Seemed like a good enough reason to give it a try. And I am glad I did!

I loved this book. Well written and fun with three extremely different humans who realize how similar they are on...more
Dale
I liked Glory Lane , with the single glaring exception of all three human characters. They do not grow. They remain petty, impudent little pests and I found myself wondering why the other races tolerated the human species if this was all the better that they were going to meet!

Seriously, the actual sci-fi was top-notch. There were a multitude of worlds and species that were well-done. But, it was marred by the inclusion of a punk rocker, a geek and a ditzy blond who continued to bicker, and some...more
J
Apr 03, 2009 J rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
Glory Lane is a fun, light hearted sci-fi tale involving humans getting involved in alien hijinks and find themselves trying to save the universe. The characters and situations are a little cliche but still interesting enough to give this book some flair. Each character is a stereotype taken to the nth degree. Seeth, the punk, is a particularly interesting attempt at trying just a wee little bit too hard. This is another book I read years ago, found in a bookstore and decided to re-read. Hey, it...more
Richard Penn
A glorious romp through near space, with highly engaging characters, cute aliens, and universe one would dearly love to visit.
Mark Palmer
Fun story, incorporating some relatively new science at the time - the missing matter.
Matt Kelland
Not as funny as it thinks it is.
Karin
Very cute. I was completely shocked for a moment to learn the relationship between Kerwin and Seeth. Some of the science stuff in the last 2-3 chapters was confusing, might have been intentional. It did take me a few weeks to get through it, not being one of those that you just can't put down. But every time I picked it back up I was right into it again. It did tend to slow down every time a more advanced race would talk about how insignificant humans are.
Crissy Stanley
I first read this book around the age of fourteen I think....I have read it a total of seventeen times since then and bought it four times since...I have "lent " it to friends a couple times! I song know why I felt compelled to read if so many times....but it remains one of my all time faces. The imagery in the book is unbelievable!!! I have lost myself in the pages completely! This is a great sci -fi book that begs to be read by any fiction fan!!!!
B. Zedan
Jun 24, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Folks who have imaginations and like to use them
Shelves: real-book
I not only took this book when I moved out of my childhood home, it's one of the few that is pencil-marked and dog-eared and quoted from. Solid world-building, with little presents of sparkling descriptive bursts as the main characters wend their way into the universe and back again. Existentialism, aliens, punks, and the secret of the universe.
Buzz Ryan
This was entertaining to read for sure but what bothered me is the main characters were as blah at the end of the book as they were in the beginning. After a huge adventure! Not that I want to sound cruel becasue I read it three times so obviously I dug it.
Jessica McReaderpants
BIg fan of the Flinx books. This one didn't quite meet my high expectations but I enjoyed it none-the-less. Foster has no dearth of imagination, or irony. Not sure if this book will join my library or get donated. On the fence with it.
Toni
I just had to stop reading this one about a third of the way through. I hate to do that, but sometimes I completely lose interest and can't keep going. Maybe someday I'll go back and read it again, but not any time soon.
Bruce
Good read. Foster proves he can do humor. Rather insider. Not for non-geeks/nerds for whom this will be almost completely orthogonal. Rather adolescent in places and overly simplistic from a cultural/social standpoint.
Chris
I read this as a teenager.

Back then I read sci-fi and fantasy almost exclusively, and this author (ADF) was one of my favorites.

Don't know how I would rate this book if I re-read it as an adult.
Mawgojzeta
I read this when I was quite a bit younger and liked it. It was fun. Second read through, at over 40 years old, was not nearly as enjoyable.
Edward Kowalski
Got this for my daughter - she wasn't interested. I never saw this one as a kid. Decent romp around the universe. Predictable outcome.
John Drew
This was one of the first Foster books I ever read, and it cemented my love for his works. I need to dig it out and give it another read.
Michael
A fun book to read. It shows that Science Fiction can have a lite side. A fun romp thru space with an unlikely set of characters.
  • Festival Moon (Merovingen Nights, #1)
  • Tales From the Vulgar Unicorn (Thieves' World, #2)
  • World Killers (Sentinels, No 4)
  • Split Heirs
  • Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille
  • Doctor Who and the Dalek Invasion of Earth (Doctor Who Library Target, #17)
  • Ladyhawke
  • Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future (Santiago #1)
  • Dog Warrior (Ukiah Oregon, #4)
  • The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1-4 + short story)
  • Orion Shall Rise
  • Bill, the Galactic Hero on the Planet of the Robot Slaves (Bill, #2)
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • The Practice Effect
  • Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing,...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...
Alien Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Star Wars) Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx, #1) The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)