Start by marking “Dirty Beasts” as Want to Read:
Dirty Beasts

Dirty Beasts

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,778 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Unsuspecting humans get their final comeuppance in this collection of poems about mischievous and mysterious animals. In between laughs, both adult and child will see in these rhymes the folly of pretenses and the sheer joy of the ridiculous. Full-color illustrations.
Published August 5th 1986 by Puffin (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Beasts

Anthony Vacca
An emaciated anteater that will eat your favorite aunt; a carnivorous crocodile that, if given the say on how his meals should be prepared, prefers little boys lathered with mustard and little girls basted in butterscotch; a pig in the throes of an existential crisis who eats a butcher; a hedgehog that does not make for a good seat; a magical cow with wings; fevered Frenchmen who will eat any frog or snail, even if the frog or snail is magical; a rude creature with a cockney accent that lives in ...more
Ronyell
When I was young, I used to read all of Roald Dahl's stories. Some of my personal favorites were Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The Twits and George's Marvelous Medicine. But another one of my favorite stories from the Roald Dahl collection is Dirty Beasts.

Dirty Beasts is about all kinds of different animals that either scare the humans or eat the humans. Most of these stories are similar to Aesop's Fables, except that they are more darker than Aesop's Fa
Lorna Bellingham
I instantly recognised the illustrations and re-reading this collection of poems really brough back some memories. Written by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake, Dirty Beasts is a selection of poems on a variety of unpleasant creatures including a pig, cow, ant-eater, toad, lion, scorpion, crocodile and a porcupine. The poems rhyme, vary from 2-4 pages long and are supported by vibarnt pictures. It would be useful resource if covering any topic related to animals, or the very last poem ...more
Melissa Hazelbaker
I will admit, I read this book for the first time for this assignment, and LOVED it! I am a huge Roald Dahl fan, having just finished up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a teacher read aloud. This book is perfect for my squirmy seven year olds. It has a few poems that are up in the air as to if I will read them to my class, including one about a crocodile who eats children. But, then again, the title is Dirty Beasts, so I am sure it would be just fine, sometimes you have to really look at al ...more
Megara
Most people tell me I'm morbid but that's only because I've grown up reading the delightfully dark books by Roald Dahl. The collection of poems that is Dirty Beast is not just for kids. If you haven't read it do so now.
Somerandom
Ahh! Good ole Dirty Beasts. Conjures up images of ferocious child eating animals and nonsensical storytelling. A brilliant collection of Roald Dahl's humorous and silly poems. With enough gory bits to keep even the most gross out obsessed lad entertained (and sure to win over some wee lassies as well.)

Each story is dark but imaginative, the poetry flows well and offers a nice rhythm. And the quirky illustrations by the now legendary Quentin Blake is sure to stir up a fun little nightmare or two
Cruth
Author: Roald Dahl
Illustrator: Quentin Blake
First published: 1983
Initially illustrated by Rosemary Fawcett.

We started reading The Witches at bedtime and I quickly realised it could be nightmare inducing - children disappearing or turning into pictures - so clever me thought a few Dahl nonsense poems (the book was right there!) would offset the ill-effects and finish the evening on a high note.

Oops.

People get eaten. Constantly. Or stung on the rump by a scorpion in the bed. 9 (quite lengthy) poem
bakanekonomama
Entahlah. Saya nggak begitu suka cerita yang ini. Saya memang seharusnya sudah terbiasa dengan imajinasi Opa Dahl yang super aneh itu. Tapi entahlah... Cerita yang ini terlalu lemah buat lambung saya.. #lah

Diawali dengan seekor babi yang lebih filsuf dari filsuf manapun (sotoy). Dia mempertanyakan makna keberadaan dirinya di dunia ini. Setelah sadar, dia pun melakukan tindakan yang bikin saya eneg setengah mati. #hoeekkk #monttaaahhh

Kisah-kisah berikutnya nggak kalah unik. Semuanya bertemakan he
Elisabeth

Roald Dahl's inimitable style and humor shine in this collection of poems about mischievous and mysterious animals. From Stingaling the scorpion to Crocky-Wock the crocodile, Dahl's animals are nothing short of ridiculous. A clever pig with an unmentionable plan to save his own bacon and an anteater with an unusually large appetite are among the characters created by Dahl in these timeless rhymes. This new, larger edition is perfect for reading aloud and makes Quentin Blake's celebrated illustr

PurplyCookie

Among them is a clever pig with an unmentionable plan to save his own bacon (upon realization that that's the meaning of his life), a flying cow, a giant toad who can jump from England into France and an anteater with an unusually large appetite.

A classic piece of Dahl lunacy. Whet
Charlotte
This is a collection of poems all about unsuspecting animals all around the world. The poems are about animals which you would find in lots of different cultures and countries making it quite a multi cultural book that children can relate to. The book includes a lot of humour and funny little extratcts, which will have children laughing and giggling!
There are some quite tricky words within the poems which the children may not have come across before, so this book would perhaps be best suited to
Claud89
This is a fantastic book! I remember being read these stories when i was a young child, and i know children who still enjoy them twenty years later. The use of rhyme gets children laughing and giggling throughout. The book features all sorts of different animals which would be a great resource to use with children if covering an animal topic. I think this book is appropriate for reception and Key stage 1. My concerns are sometimes there are a couple of children who would find these stories a lit ...more
Sabrina
Short, funny book with 9 poems that rhyme (can you tell I love rhymes ;) about different animals including pigs, crocodiles, lions, scorpions, etc. Glad to have this in my collection of favorite Roald Dahl books!
Jane
A brilliant array of poems from an amazingly talented writer.
Rania Ajjan El Hadid
Wonderfully and funny.. could be read over and over
Roo James
A very fun story. I should really read more Dahl.
Terri-Maree
Absolutely genius the way that Roald Dahl is able to make things rhyme with such great stories as he goes along.
Harun Harahap
Buku impor karya Roald Dahl selalu saja mahal. Bayangkan buku anak-anak ini cuma setipis 32 halaman tapi harganya 115.000 rupiah. Namun gue tidak menyesal membelinya. Karena ceritanya lucu banget, bayangkan ada "ant Eater makan nenek atau Kodok yang bisa lompat dari Inggris ke Prancis. Ditambah lagi, seluruh cerita ini diceritakan dengan menggunakan rima yang bikin cekikikan.

Opa Dahl, aku makin ngefaaaannnnsssss...
Wsclai
Funny and clever! It's typical Roald Dahl.
Leanne Bell
Yumi Learner
I read this book to improve my reading skills in English, and I didn't expect it was fun for me to read. When I turned the first page, my heart was bumping because of the illustrations! They are so adorable, and just matched to the stories. The illustrations helped me to image the world of the stories. This is one of the good picture books for children!
Lumi
Rating is for 'The Ant-Eater' only, as I've yet to read the rest of this book. But that poem alone is worth it and like much of Roald Dahl's work, pure genius.
"Ant-eater!" He yelled. "Don't lie there yawning!
"This is my Ant! Come say good morning!"
Those two lines alone illustrate much about Roy's character. Delightful.
☯Bettie☯
read by Pam Ferris and Geoffrey Palmer

Is this the chidren's poetic version of Torgny Lindgren? The Tummy Beast = 2 thumbs up
Jax Holt
A great book written by Roald Dahl but its not the usual type of book written by him, it's a poetry book. To say that I don't really like poetry it was a great book! I enjoyed the animals in the book and I loved how they had a small poem for each animal. I loved how out of the world some of the poems where!
Loki
I like all the Dirty Beast stories because: the cow poops on that guy's head, and I like the toad one because those guys were running after the toad. And I liked the other ones because they were about animals eating people and the scorpion one because the scorpion pinched the guy.
Mips
Voorgelezen aan Hanne.

'n Stelletje uitgehongerde, bloeddorstige beesten én enkele kleine etterbakjes van kinderen: het vertrouwde recept van Roald Dahl.
Hier, ten huize m., al jarenlang succes verzekerd!

*Hannes favoriete gedicht: 'De pad en de slak'
*Het mijne: 'De miereneter'
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars
Dirty Beasts by Roald Dahl is a fun (audio book) read.
It rhymes, it's fun and they're making now a theatre play out of it.

We get to know about the porcupine, ant-eater, pig, tummy beast, lion, scorpion and many more!
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • The Saga of Eric the Viking
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Please Mrs Butler
  • Mister Magnolia
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • Fungus the Bogeyman
  • Burglar Bill
  • Round the Twist (Uncollected)
  • The Magic Pudding
  • Where's Waldo Now?
  • D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • The Gruffalo's Child
  • The Wombles
  • Wombat Stew

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches