Start by marking “Dirty Beasts” as Want to Read:
Dirty Beasts

Dirty Beasts

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  3,727 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Unsuspecting humans get their final comeuppance in this collection of poems about mischievous and mysterious animals. In between laughs, both adult and child will see in these rhymes the folly of pretenses and the sheer joy of the ridiculous. Full-color illustrations.
Published August 5th 1986 by Puffin (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Beasts

Manny
Rowie, to whom I read this book yesterday, would like other four-year-olds to know that it has a flying cow who poos on someone's head. You can see a picture and everything.
Anthony Vacca
An emaciated anteater that will eat your favorite aunt; a carnivorous crocodile that, if given the say on how his meals should be prepared, prefers little boys lathered with mustard and little girls basted in butterscotch; a pig in the throes of an existential crisis who eats a butcher; a hedgehog that does not make for a good seat; a magical cow with wings; fevered Frenchmen who will eat any frog or snail, even if the frog or snail is magical; a rude creature with a cockney accent that lives in ...more
Jason
Mar 16, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
This book contains some of Roald Dahl's best and funniest poems.

My daughter had to hide under the covers when I read about children being eaten by lions, alligators and ant-eaters. So she has only given this book 4 stars as it was scary.
Petya Kokudeva
Много се натъжих. Дори не съм ядосана или нещо такова - по-активно като отношение. Не е честно в страната на Валери Петров, Мая Дългъчева, Виктор Самуилов... да има толкова нескопосани преводи на детски стихотворения. И то на Роалд Дал. Писна ми да "учим" децата, че римата е това, което прави стихотворението стихотворение. Ами, не е. Музиката е. Крайно време е да стане ясно, че римата без ритъм е като лупа,надвиснала точно над уликата - тя прави дефектите десетократно по-видими, тя осветлява лип ...more
Bettie☯
read by Pam Ferris and Geoffrey Palmer

Is this the chidren's poetic version of Torgny Lindgren? The Tummy Beast = 2 thumbs up
Ronyell
When I was young, I used to read all of Roald Dahl's stories. Some of my personal favorites were Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The Twits and George's Marvelous Medicine. But another one of my favorite stories from the Roald Dahl collection is Dirty Beasts.

Dirty Beasts is about all kinds of different animals that either scare the humans or eat the humans. Most of these stories are similar to Aesop's Fables, except that they are more darker than Aesop's Fa
Salam Almahi
Nov 19, 2015 Salam Almahi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Saving it for my children!
Manon Belderok
Een boek wat op rijm is geschreven. Aan het begin was dit even wennen. Halverwege het boek begon ik de titel van het boek te begrijpen. Het gaat over verschillende beesten die avonturen beleven.
Dit is een boek wat je wel kan voorlezen, maar vind het taalgebruik niet altijd geschikt voor de onderbouw.
Malissa
What a fun book to have a chance to review, but at the same time quite difficult to do. My favorite thing about this book is the old world feel to it. It reminds me greatly of a Grimm's fairytale or an Aesop's Fable: a bit harsh, a bit shocking, quite a bit scary, an important lesson to learn, but with Dirty Beasts we also get more than a bit funny!

I will say that as a parent or teacher you may want to read Dirty Beasts on your own first before sharing it with your child(ren) or classroom. Dirt
bakanekonomama
Entahlah. Saya nggak begitu suka cerita yang ini. Saya memang seharusnya sudah terbiasa dengan imajinasi Opa Dahl yang super aneh itu. Tapi entahlah... Cerita yang ini terlalu lemah buat lambung saya.. #lah

Diawali dengan seekor babi yang lebih filsuf dari filsuf manapun (sotoy). Dia mempertanyakan makna keberadaan dirinya di dunia ini. Setelah sadar, dia pun melakukan tindakan yang bikin saya eneg setengah mati. #hoeekkk #monttaaahhh

Kisah-kisah berikutnya nggak kalah unik. Semuanya bertemakan he
Dolly
Oct 05, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very entertaining collection of poems by Roald Dahl. The verse includes some rather eye-opening concepts that are probably more appropriate for an older child who can appreciate the wit.

Irreverant and often mischievous, the poems are a startling, but refreshing change from the typical children's poetry book fare.

A few of them were familiar to us, likely because we recently read Vile Verses, and some of the poems were included in that book, too.

I thought it was interesting that this e
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Dahl's inimitable style and humor shine in this collection of poems about mischievous and mysterious animals. From Stingaling the scorpion to Crocky-Wock the crocodile, Dahl's animals are nothing short of ridiculous.

Among them is a clever pig with an unmentionable plan to save his own bacon (upon realization that that's the meaning of his life), a flying cow, a giant toad who can jump from England into France and an anteater with an unusually large appetite.

A classic piece of Dahl lunacy. Whet
KarmA1966
3.5*
More funny subversive verse from Dahl where animals often get the better of their human masters.

My favorite is where an existential pig ponders his purpose.

"The pig"
“The butcher’s shop!
The carving knife!
That is the reason for my life!”

Another favorite is this animal tale where the four-legged creature one-ups the upright folk.

"The ant-eater"
Some wealthy folks from U.S.A.,
Who lived near San Francisco Bay,
Possessed an only child called Roy,
A plump and unattractive boy –
Half-baked, half-
Lila Cyclist
Sep 06, 2015 Lila Cyclist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-gratis
Are you into a gory story
Of dirty beasts that won't make you worry
As it turns out to be some kind of animation
Of the author's never ending imagination

First the story of a pig
Whose brain is sort of big
He dreams of doing great thing
But end up eating the owner without a wink

Come next Crocky Wock the crocodile
That puts boys and girls on his food pile
This bed time story will give you nightmare
As the Crocky Wock Crocodile show up to stare

Complete review in http://justaveragereader.blogspot.co....
Lorna Bellingham
I instantly recognised the illustrations and re-reading this collection of poems really brough back some memories. Written by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake, Dirty Beasts is a selection of poems on a variety of unpleasant creatures including a pig, cow, ant-eater, toad, lion, scorpion, crocodile and a porcupine. The poems rhyme, vary from 2-4 pages long and are supported by vibarnt pictures. It would be useful resource if covering any topic related to animals, or the very last poem ...more
Sigrid
Jan 05, 2017 Sigrid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boekenbingo-2017
Als kind heb ik alle boeken van Roald Dahl verslonden. Ik vond ze geweldig, vol fantasie. Heerlijk om bij weg te dromen. Deze gedichten zijn allemaal een beetje gek en daardoor zo leuk. Juist, omdat je aanvoelt, dat het niet echt kan, is het zo leuk om erbij te griezelen. Roald Dahl heeft zo'n eigen stijl en zijn boeken zijn tijdloos, blijven leuk. Heerlijk om na zoveel jaren nog eens te lezen.

(10e boek Boekenbingo 2017)
Debbie Phillips
Dec 07, 2016 Debbie Phillips rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - Upper Elementary to Adult as long as they don't mind scary stories
Gross. Scary. A little bit funny in spots.

The Crocodile was especially disturbing. It would give some children nightmares I am sure.
In three of the stories the humans are eaten by the animals. That is frightening.
Parents, make sure you read this before reading it to your children.

Some children might like this book.
Dahl has a strange sense of humor.
Sometimes it seems he likes animals better than people.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
To start of my reading challenge, let's begin with something delightful and fun. Story was lovely, a collection of poems (verses) involving dirty beasts, naughty and bad beasts for me. I had fun reading them, i love the story of the porcupine and the toad and the snail. Roald Dahl never fails to amaze the kid in me.
Roland
Jun 11, 2016 Roland rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short books of mostly animal rhymes, with a couple designed to be interactive. I'll probably consult this one when I have my own kids, but it's not something I plan to come back to. The rhymes are funny, but is definitely for younger readers.
Megara
Aug 26, 2010 Megara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour, poems
Most people tell me I'm morbid but that's only because I've grown up reading the delightfully dark books by Roald Dahl. The collection of poems that is Dirty Beast is not just for kids. If you haven't read it do so now.
Catherine
Mar 22, 2015 Catherine rated it really liked it
Irreverant poetry aimed at children but fun for adults alike! My favourites being 'The Pig' and 'the Tummy Beast'. Wonderfully illustrated by the fabulous Quentin Blake.
Jessie
Mar 11, 2015 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2-0-1-5
On a Roald Dahl reading spree and loving it
Hayley
Feb 25, 2017 Hayley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I didn't read this one as a child (as I read most of Roald Dahl's other books). I really liked this one - funny, imaginative and great illustrations. I just wish it was the same size as the other books so it would go on my shelf! A collection of rhymes/poems written in Roald Dahls usual hilarious style. My favourites were 'The Pig' and 'The Ant-Eater'. I think I should take this into work and read it to my class.
Craig0599
Definitely my least favorite Roald Dahl book, but still good. This is one of his easier books. It's very, very short. Maybe if it were longer, and in the middle the beasts magically joined forces or something like that, it would be a better book. While I don't really recommend it, I still think it would be good for younger readers.
Inger
Feb 23, 2017 Inger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boekenbingo-2017
Ik heb al veel boeken gelezen van Roald Dahl, maar deze stond nog niet op mijn lijstje.
Het verhaal van de koe vind ik wel echt de leukste van allemaal, maar eigenlijk heb ik van ieder gedicht genoten. Fantastisch hoe die man kan schrijven!
Farina
It rhymes, it's fun and they're making now a theatre play out of it.

We get to know about the porcupine, ant-eater, pig, tummy beast, lion, scorpion and many more!
Jonathan
Sep 28, 2016 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique collection of poems that fit nicely into the world of Dahl.
Cruth
Author: Roald Dahl
Illustrator: Quentin Blake
First published: 1983
Initially illustrated by Rosemary Fawcett.

We started reading The Witches at bedtime and I quickly realised it could be nightmare inducing - children disappearing or turning into pictures - so clever me thought a few Dahl nonsense poems (the book was right there!) would offset the ill-effects and finish the evening on a high note.

Oops.

People get eaten. Constantly. Or stung on the rump by a scorpion in the bed. 9 (quite lengthy) poem
Milena
May 21, 2015 Milena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Неведнъж съм признавала, че Роалд Дал е един от любимите ми детски писатели. Възхищавам се на въображението, с което е създал всички свои герои, и бях истински очарована от идеята да прочета още нещо от него, този път в стихове.
„Страшни зверове“ (изд. „Enthusiast“) е събрала в себе си няколко истории в рими за чудати животни. Представяли ли сте си някога, че може да има толкова умно Прасе, което да изяде собственика си?

„- Силно предчувствие ме обзе,
че фермерът за обяд ще ме изяде.
И заради това с
White House Public Library
Well written poetry that is funny, witty and a wee bit on the dark side. Good book for kids and adults.
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • The Saga of Erik the Viking
  • Fungus the Bogeyman
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • Mister Magnolia
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat
  • Unmentionable! (Uncollected)
  • The Worst Witch Saves the Day (Worst Witch, #5)
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • Circus Days Again
  • Burglar Bill
  • The Magic Pudding
  • The Man Whose Mother Was a Pirate
  • D is for Dahl: A gloriumptious A-Z guide to the world of Roald Dahl
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
  • Please Mrs Butler
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)

More about Roald Dahl...