Start by marking “Dirty Beasts” as Want to Read:
Dirty Beasts

Dirty Beasts

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,972 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Unsuspecting humans get their final comeuppance in this collection of poems about mischievous and mysterious animals. In between laughs, both adult and child will see in these rhymes the folly of pretenses and the sheer joy of the ridiculous. Full-color illustrations.
Published August 5th 1986 by Puffin (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Dirty Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirty Beasts

Anthony Vacca
An emaciated anteater that will eat your favorite aunt; a carnivorous crocodile that, if given the say on how his meals should be prepared, prefers little boys lathered with mustard and little girls basted in butterscotch; a pig in the throes of an existential crisis who eats a butcher; a hedgehog that does not make for a good seat; a magical cow with wings; fevered Frenchmen who will eat any frog or snail, even if the frog or snail is magical; a rude creature with a cockney accent that lives in ...more
Jason
This book contains some of Roald Dahl's best and funniest poems.

My daughter had to hide under the covers when I read about children being eaten by lions, alligators and ant-eaters. So she has only given this book 4 stars as it was scary.
Ronyell
When I was young, I used to read all of Roald Dahl's stories. Some of my personal favorites were Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The Twits and George's Marvelous Medicine. But another one of my favorite stories from the Roald Dahl collection is Dirty Beasts.

Dirty Beasts is about all kinds of different animals that either scare the humans or eat the humans. Most of these stories are similar to Aesop's Fables, except that they are more darker than Aesop's Fa
Catherine
Irreverant poetry aimed at children but fun for adults alike! My favourites being 'The Pig' and 'the Tummy Beast'. Wonderfully illustrated by the fabulous Quentin Blake.
Elaine
To start of my reading challenge, let's begin with something delightful and fun. Story was lovely, a collection of poems (verses) involving dirty beasts, naughty and bad beasts for me. I had fun reading them, i love the story of the porcupine and the toad and the snail. Roald Dahl never fails to amaze the kid in me.
Lorna Bellingham
I instantly recognised the illustrations and re-reading this collection of poems really brough back some memories. Written by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake, Dirty Beasts is a selection of poems on a variety of unpleasant creatures including a pig, cow, ant-eater, toad, lion, scorpion, crocodile and a porcupine. The poems rhyme, vary from 2-4 pages long and are supported by vibarnt pictures. It would be useful resource if covering any topic related to animals, or the very last poem ...more
Jessie
On a Roald Dahl reading spree and loving it
Melissa Hazelbaker
I will admit, I read this book for the first time for this assignment, and LOVED it! I am a huge Roald Dahl fan, having just finished up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a teacher read aloud. This book is perfect for my squirmy seven year olds. It has a few poems that are up in the air as to if I will read them to my class, including one about a crocodile who eats children. But, then again, the title is Dirty Beasts, so I am sure it would be just fine, sometimes you have to really look at al ...more
Megara
Most people tell me I'm morbid but that's only because I've grown up reading the delightfully dark books by Roald Dahl. The collection of poems that is Dirty Beast is not just for kids. If you haven't read it do so now.
Somerandom
Ahh! Good ole Dirty Beasts. Conjures up images of ferocious child eating animals and nonsensical storytelling. A brilliant collection of Roald Dahl's humorous and silly poems. With enough gory bits to keep even the most gross out obsessed lad entertained (and sure to win over some wee lassies as well.)

Each story is dark but imaginative, the poetry flows well and offers a nice rhythm. And the quirky illustrations by the now legendary Quentin Blake is sure to stir up a fun little nightmare or two
Cruth
Author: Roald Dahl
Illustrator: Quentin Blake
First published: 1983
Initially illustrated by Rosemary Fawcett.

We started reading The Witches at bedtime and I quickly realised it could be nightmare inducing - children disappearing or turning into pictures - so clever me thought a few Dahl nonsense poems (the book was right there!) would offset the ill-effects and finish the evening on a high note.

Oops.

People get eaten. Constantly. Or stung on the rump by a scorpion in the bed. 9 (quite lengthy) poem
bakanekonomama
Entahlah. Saya nggak begitu suka cerita yang ini. Saya memang seharusnya sudah terbiasa dengan imajinasi Opa Dahl yang super aneh itu. Tapi entahlah... Cerita yang ini terlalu lemah buat lambung saya.. #lah

Diawali dengan seekor babi yang lebih filsuf dari filsuf manapun (sotoy). Dia mempertanyakan makna keberadaan dirinya di dunia ini. Setelah sadar, dia pun melakukan tindakan yang bikin saya eneg setengah mati. #hoeekkk #monttaaahhh

Kisah-kisah berikutnya nggak kalah unik. Semuanya bertemakan he
Elisabeth

Roald Dahl's inimitable style and humor shine in this collection of poems about mischievous and mysterious animals. From Stingaling the scorpion to Crocky-Wock the crocodile, Dahl's animals are nothing short of ridiculous. A clever pig with an unmentionable plan to save his own bacon and an anteater with an unusually large appetite are among the characters created by Dahl in these timeless rhymes. This new, larger edition is perfect for reading aloud and makes Quentin Blake's celebrated illustr

PurplyCookie

Among them is a clever pig with an unmentionable plan to save his own bacon (upon realization that that's the meaning of his life), a flying cow, a giant toad who can jump from England into France and an anteater with an unusually large appetite.

A classic piece of Dahl lunacy. Whet
Charlotte
This is a collection of poems all about unsuspecting animals all around the world. The poems are about animals which you would find in lots of different cultures and countries making it quite a multi cultural book that children can relate to. The book includes a lot of humour and funny little extratcts, which will have children laughing and giggling!
There are some quite tricky words within the poems which the children may not have come across before, so this book would perhaps be best suited to
Jenny
This book is a perfect book for elementary children. Children would love reading these strange stories about animals, food, parents, and children like them. This would be perfect to trigger children's imaginations to have them write their own stories and poems about "dirty beasts".
Claud89
This is a fantastic book! I remember being read these stories when i was a young child, and i know children who still enjoy them twenty years later. The use of rhyme gets children laughing and giggling throughout. The book features all sorts of different animals which would be a great resource to use with children if covering an animal topic. I think this book is appropriate for reception and Key stage 1. My concerns are sometimes there are a couple of children who would find these stories a lit ...more
Sabrina
Short, funny book with 9 poems that rhyme (can you tell I love rhymes ;) about different animals including pigs, crocodiles, lions, scorpions, etc. Glad to have this in my collection of favorite Roald Dahl books!
Zayneea
A collection of poems about animals, most of them ending in the people being eaten.

The different animals are:
The Cow
The Toad and The Snail
The Tummy Beast
Maimoona Albar
It is funny book. I really enjoy reading this book. like how the author create unusual stories, and I like how the illustration support his story. Great book for my nephew who is 5th grader.
Jane
A brilliant array of poems from an amazingly talented writer.
Rania Ajjan El Hadid
Wonderfully and funny.. could be read over and over
Roo James
A very fun story. I should really read more Dahl.
Curious
something I'd read to my children :)
Terri-Maree
Absolutely genius the way that Roald Dahl is able to make things rhyme with such great stories as he goes along.
Harun Harahap
Buku impor karya Roald Dahl selalu saja mahal. Bayangkan buku anak-anak ini cuma setipis 32 halaman tapi harganya 115.000 rupiah. Namun gue tidak menyesal membelinya. Karena ceritanya lucu banget, bayangkan ada "ant Eater makan nenek atau Kodok yang bisa lompat dari Inggris ke Prancis. Ditambah lagi, seluruh cerita ini diceritakan dengan menggunakan rima yang bikin cekikikan.

Opa Dahl, aku makin ngefaaaannnnsssss...
Wsclai
Funny and clever! It's typical Roald Dahl.
Leanne Bell
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: A Play
  • The Saga of Eric the Viking
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • The Quangle Wangle's Hat
  • The Wombles
  • Hunwick's Egg
  • Blinky Bill
  • Struwwelpeter

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches