Start by marking “The El Dorado Adventure (Vesper Holly #2)” as Want to Read:
The El Dorado Adventure (Vesper Holly #2)

The El Dorado Adventure (Vesper Holly #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  832 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Vesper Holly is surprised as her guardian, Brinnie, when she receives a mysterious summons to Central America signed by Alain de Rochefort. Vesper sets sail at once to find de Rochefort and explore the land that she has inherited. On her arrival she makes a terrible discovery--de Rochefort represents the evil Dr. Helvitius, who plans to build a canal on Vesper's land, upro ...more
Published July 1st 1990 by Dell Yearling (first published April 30th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The El Dorado Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The El Dorado Adventure

Madeline
"Miss Vesper Holly is the only Philadelphian of my acquaintance to own a volcano. I can think of no one better suited to deal with explosive real estate. Despite her accomplishments in languages, art, music, science, and mathematics, the dear girl finds eruptions and other nerve-shattering events irresistibly magnetic."

Vesper Holly and her delightful guardian/lapdog Brinnie are back at it, about a year after their adventures in The Illyrian Adventure - based on plot descriptions I've read of the
Laura Verret
There is perhaps no one so indelibly suited to the ownership of a volcano than my ward, Miss Vesper Holly. Indeed, though I, Professor Brinton Garrett, saw no profit to her owning such a thing, I could not help but admit a sort of poetic justice to be found in the circumstance. However, when an opportunity came to visit her land holdings, I set my mind absolutely – such a thing was not feasible. It would not be done.

Two days later we set sail for Ocotalpa, as her volcano was called. Our passage
Marty
Jan 03, 2011 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I meant to reread this at a different time under different circumstances. I intended on starting the series with the first of the six, The Illyrian Adventure. I figured I would read it during breaks at school and on the walk home.

Instead, while waiting for my wife to brush her teeth before going to bed, a matter of only a couple of minutes, I lightly grabbed The El Dorado Adventure sitting innocently with our bedstand books, and read a page ... you know, just to pass the time. The next night I d
Jen
This one was funnier than the first one. Both of my teenage girls enjoyed it.
Andrea Hussey
pdarnold
Vesper Holly and Brennie are at it again. They head to South America in response to a mysterious letter pertaining to Vespers ownership of land, which contains a volcano. Again, Vesper is ever wise and has the detective skills of someone beyond her years. De Rochefort is a man wanting to talk with Vesper about her ownership and his plans for a canal. Much adventure, mystery and deception abound. I liked this better than the first book of this series, perhaps because I knew what to expect from th ...more
Joshua Van Dereck
Just two books into this series, and Alexander begins to flounder in The El Dorado Adventure. Sharply begun as a sort of souped-up rewrite of the first novel, The El Dorado Adventure was well seen and amusingly constructed for about half or two-thirds of the narrative, and then it completely unwound. Stuck in a sort of Groundhog Day misery of endless sketches of the protagonists escaping and being recaptured by the villain, who explains all of his notions and never actually kills them, the novel ...more
Catherine  Mustread
Loved the setting in this second book in the Vesper Holly series -- a fictional Central American country with a greedy developer trying to push through a canal. The natives were a bit unbelievable (totally unrealistic) as was the influence Vesper had on the women in such a short time, but I can chalk that up to literary license. Brinnie's continued use of "my dear girl" is annoying. I'm moving on to re-read book #3, The Drackenberg Adventure which I previously read in 1988.
Anthony Faber
Feb 20, 2014 Anthony Faber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vesper Holly #2. Plucky, smart girl heroine drags her guardian into adventures. Pretty good, if anachronistic. Set in the 1870s or thereabouts.

Jess
Entertaining and fast-paced, with some humor interjected by the narrator's obtuseness, but some troubling white savior elements and eye-rolling moments with the fictional tribe of Chiricas.
Liz
Jan 05, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying flying through this series.
Prudence (aka - Lizzy)
Nov 23, 2007 Prudence (aka - Lizzy) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoys other Lloyd Alexander books.
Okay... so what if I did change my favorite doll's name to Vesper? (Her name now runs so: Vesper Anastasia Romanov Brown of Clan Lamont... just for those interested... so much with conventional names! ;))

You all know me as a fan of Lloyd Alexanders beautiful work of literary art, and this book is no exception in my estimation! its a wonderful story, with the Lloyd Alexander-isms abounding!

A must read! Period... no buts about it! :)
*Lizzy smiles- "Vesper Rules!"*
Joy
Lloyd Alexander is one of my favorite YA authors, and has a very well-deserved reputation for writing creative and fun adventure stories. The Vesper Holly Series is a cross between Indiana Jones and the penny dreadfuls of the Victoria age. The intelligent and spirited heroine, Vesper Holly is an independently wealthy orphan, and follows her nose to all kinds of adventures, with her faithful guardian and chaperon trailing in her wake.
Jenna
Apr 02, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is like Indiana Jones, girl style. When the heione's parents die, she goes to live with her father's co-partner/gardian. She has many adventures in excotic lands which usually end up in life and death situations.

Ratings (out of 10):
Originality: 10
Total: 49/50 (A)
Brandy
Dec 27, 2012 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle, I can tell why you like these! It's unusual to find such a capable, confident, intelligent, and strong-willed female character in children's/youth literature. Vesper never questions herself, which is refreshing, even if it does make her a bit larger than life (but don't girls deserve to have an Indiana-Jones-like heroine?). I'll have to see if I can track more of these down.
Abby
Nov 06, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING BOOK! I NEED TO REVIEW...BUT YEAH I JUST DONT FEEL LIKE IT.
Tiffany Adams
Jul 01, 2011 Tiffany Adams rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jv
I really enjoy how Lloyd Alexander manages to write at such a high intellectual level, but still make it a (readable!) children's book. Not for the average kid, but perfect for those Nancy Drew readers who are a little ahead of the pack...
Michaela
Aug 14, 2008 Michaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other Vespers
Vesper Holly is at it again! And with a predictable, yet still perfect, reappearance of Helvetius, these are the books I call delicious. He's the worst kind of villain: smart, handsome, culturally savvy, and absolutely barbaric as well.
Apr 24, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh goodness. Vesper Holly deserves her own thrilling television show. BBC? But as for the book, Lloyd Alexander never ceases to write a bad book--and the Vesper Holly series is among his most exciting.
Kate
Jan 22, 2012 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book is going kind of slow for me. I don't read it all the time. The first book started a little slow too, but was really good at the end, so I'm trying to stick with this.
Sora
Jan 10, 2015 Sora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-year-2014
Re-reading this book from my childhood. I am slowly working my way through the series again. Who can resist adventures?
Ami
Aug 29, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in an enjoyable series. It is a very easy read and I really like the character Vesper.
Julie
Part of my summer reading from the library, I think - the year I was on the huge Lloyd Alexander kick.
Wendy
Even if this is a childrens book, the plots are fun and charaacters pleasing.
Emily
Jul 30, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book from beginning to end. What else could I say?
Tobinsfavorite
Vesper is a bit much, really, but the overall effect is worthwhile.
Don Gubler
Nice adventure story with a strong female lead.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bouncy, fun adventure story
Parsa
Dec 20, 2007 Parsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ......
Coool one!!!!
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • The Escape from Home (Beyond the Western Sea #1)
  • River Rats
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • The Boggart and the Monster (The Boggart, #2)
  • Time and Mr. Bass (Mushroom Planet, #6)
  • Wizard at Work
  • A Dime a Dozen (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #3)
  • The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • Building Blocks
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street, #1)
  • Dominic
  • Outlaw Princess of Sherwood (Rowan Hood, #3)
  • The Iliad and the Odyssey: The heroic story of the trojan war the fabulous adventures of odysseus
  • Stormwitch
Lloyd Chudley Alexander (January 30, 1924 - May 17, 2007) was an influential American author of more than forty books, mostly fantasy novels for children and adolescents, as well as several adult books. His most famous contribution to the field of children's literature is the fantasy series The Chronicles of Prydain. The concluding book of the series, The High King, was awarded the Newbery Medal i ...more
More about Lloyd Alexander...

Vesper Holly (6 books)
  • The Illyrian Adventure (Vesper Holly #1)
  • The Drackenberg Adventure (Vesper Holly #3)
  • The Jedera Adventure (Vesper Holly #4)
  • The Philadelphia Adventure (Vesper Holly #5)
  • The Xanadu Adventure (Vesper Holly #6)

“I cannot forgive myself for what I did. It has long been one of my strictest principles not to interfere with the life of any individual, let alone attempt to shorten it. If an exception were to be made, Dr. Helvitius would surely qualify. It might be argued that, having neither scruples nor conscience, he had no claim upon the conscience of someone else—least of all, his intended victims. But that is a question to be resolved by a judgment higher than mine. In the event, my responsibility toward Vesper outweighed every other consideration.
I can state in all honesty: I meant only to wound him.
I cannot forgive myself—for missing the villain completely.”
2 likes