Start by marking “Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)” as Want to Read:
Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)

Emperor Mage (The Immortals #3)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  46,405 Ratings  ·  613 Reviews
When she is sent as part of the delegation from Tortall to negotiate a peace treaty with Carthak, fifteen-year-old Daine must use her powers to communicate with animals for more than healing the Carthak emperor's dying birds.
Published July 1st 1995 by Atheneum Books (first published November 17th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Emperor Mage, please sign up.

Grace S. I wouldn't. Emperor Mage is Book Thee of a four-book series, you'd know what was going on a lot better if you started at the beginning.

Kogiopsis
Oct 01, 2008 Kogiopsis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been doing some thinking and have come to a conclusion that, I suppose, should have been obvious a long time ago: I connect to Tamora Pierce's characters better than I connect to pretty much any other characters. They get under my skin, in my blood, into my heart; I see through their eyes so easily it astounds me. I've read this series more times than I can remember, but I still feel the same intensity that I recall from the first time - and the last few chapters of this book still have a h ...more
Beth
Feb 22, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm giving this four stars because this stands in stark contrast to the previous two books, but all the same: I really did enjoy this, and it definitely holds up as my favorite of the Daine books. POLITICS. I LOVE THE POLITICS.

That said, I have notes.

1. Who sends Alanna, she of the infamous temper, to a notoriously volatile empire as a diplomat? Doesn't that sound... stupid? I love Alanna, but I don't think Carthak is the right place for her. Which is seen, by the way, when the emperor de
Astrid
UGGGGH YOU GUYSSSS /whine. This is actually both my favourite book in this series and the one that gives me the most "problematic!" vibes. I wish I could nut out this problem. Basically what I love about it is the evocation of Carthak, a city/country I wish Tamora Pierce would write more about, because it's a fascinating amalgam of Carthage and Rome and probably a whole bunch of other classical civs I don't know about. Wasn't Pierce meant to write that book about Numair's younger years at the un ...more
Khanh (the meanie)
Now, THAT'S more like it! Major major redemption for the yawnfest that was book 2. In Emperor Mage, Daine gets to pretend she's actually a girl sent from a royal envoy as diplomats into a foreign land instead of a girl who wants to be an animal and surrounded by animals all the time. Human interactions are awesome, and I'm so glad Daine isn't just talking and plotting with animals all the time now, and that she's actually solving a decent mystery and dealing with major international intrigue. It ...more
Catie
Aaaaand, we’re back. Everything that I felt was lacking in the second book (eg, my interest) was revived completely in this book. Daine is back in the land of the two-leggers and is facing the oft named but never before seen Emperor Mage Ozorne. And it turns out that Ozorne really shouldn’t have messed with our Daine. There’s a whole chapter called “Daine loses her temper” which I’m still grinning about.

Daine may seem cute with her crunchy granola, tree-hugging, “save the whales” exterior but i
Crystal Starr Light
A trip down South and a brush with death

Daine, her master, Numair, the King's Champion, Alanna, and other Tortall diplomats head to Carthak to try to negotiate peace and keep the two countries from war. Daine's mission is specifically to heal the Emperor Mage's beloved birds. But Daine sees an old slave woman who shouldn't be there and gets warnings from the Beaver God to stay away.

Let me preface this review with the note that I listened to this on audiobook and thus may grossly mispell the name
Oiuior
IT WAS A YA FANTASY BUT WRITTEN LIKE A FABLE FOR CHILDREN,in a good way. THE ACTIONS WERE STUNNING!
Rachel (Kalanadi)
May 31, 2016 Rachel (Kalanadi) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I still absolutely adore this book. Wild Magic is dear to me because it was my first book by Pierce, but Emperor Mage makes my heart soar every time. Zek, Kitten, Bonedancer, the hyenas, the Graveyard Hag, the reanimated dinosaur bones!, and hints of Numair's back story... the sumptuous surroundings and rot underneath... and finally some answers about Daine's father!
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Stephanie
Cover Story: Let’s Play Dress Up
BFF Charm: Platinum
Swoonworthy Scale: 6
Talky Talk: Smorgasbord
Bonus Factors: Dinosaurs, Animal Friends, Ozorne’s Outfits, Daine Loses Her Temper
Relationship Status: BFFs

Read the full book report here.
kris
Nov 16, 2009 kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[Also read 19 December 2007]

Daine is 'invited' along with a ragtag group of Tortallian delegates to attempt to arrange peace between Tortall and Carthak. She's supposed to heal birds, discovers she can heal the dead, and ends up in Revenge!mode after a series of (hilarious) misunderstandings.

1. I will be blunt: I am increasingly disappointed in these books. I can just about taste the fascinating, intricate, complex story of a girl who is unwittingly growing into a conduit between the Divine Rea
Hollowspine
Feb 15, 2010 Hollowspine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Nidofito
Aug 08, 2015 Nidofito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this was hugely entertaining BUT

A few things:

1) It is always easier to find fault in others than in oneself. Yes, slavery is bad in any form. But does the whole Tortall vs. Carthak culture need to be set up so preachy? Why is one superior to another? Is Tortall an ideal country with perfect citizens with perfect morals living perfect lives? No. So why is there a good Tortall and bad Carthak vibe going on?

2) There is this one sentence that seemed really strange to me and I'm wondering if it i
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
I LOVED THIS. I flew through it while the 2nd book took me some time. I was immediately into the story; I liked the change in setting and meeting all the new characters and creatures. Zek!! And Kaddar was so interesting, his relationship with Daine was great. I kept picturing the Graveyard Hag as a mix between Mulan's grandmother and the short Fate sister from Hercules. This book was so exciting and awesome, I think I'll start the next one right now. I really love Daine's powers and watching her ...more
Rachel
Jan 05, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Daine returns in the third book of the Immortals quartet. Here she is brought on a diplomatic mission to a kingdom south of Tortall (which is strangely like Egypt. . .hmmm) where the all-powerful Emperor is plotting a war. A war with Tortall.

In order to stave off the potentially devastating consequences of war on their small kingdom, a mission of all the knights you remember from previous books in order to wage peace, as well as heal the Emperor's birds, whom he cares about more than life itself
Kayla Edwards
There's nothing I can say that will adequately express how I feel about these books and I'm not even going to try. Besides, the fact that I read them all repeatedly (I quit counting after the 10th time) is the highest form of praise I can give anyway. Daine, Numair, and the others are friends as dear to me as any in this world.
Andree
Feb 21, 2016 Andree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
3.5 stars? These are not exactly standing up to rereading.

A few things:

1. Tortall has very modern attitudes, given it's vaguely medieval in a lot of ways. They're not so jarring when you're in Tortall, but given that apparently every other country has very different attitudes, it starts to grate. In the sense that Tortall is almost too perfect.

2. GARY/HIS PAPERS.

3. Alanna was fun. I enjoy her and Daine's friendship.

4. Daine and Kaddar were interesting together as well, in a friendly way.

5. I sec
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

EMPEROR MAGE follows the story of Daine, now fifteen years old, a girl with the rare power of "wild magic" that gives her an extraordinary affinity with animals. With her wild magic, Daine can communicate with animals, see the world through their senses, and even transform herself into one, all skills that the first two books of THE IMMORTALS series have shown her develop.

In this third book, the stakes are raised as Daine accompanies an ambassadoria
Katie
Nov 13, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
I'm pretty sure the last time I read this book was before I started college. I have to say it was pretty cool to reread it now that I am a geology graduate student. All I can say is: dinosaurs. In a fantasy setting. I loved Tamora Pierce's description of the different types of dinosaurs. There was even a description of an Archaeopteryx, the missing link fossil between birds and dinosaurs! And they actually played a pertinent part in the storyline!

(view spoiler)
Fantasy Literature
The Emperor Mage is the third book in Tamora Pierce's The Immortals Quartet, and by this stage if you haven't read the previous installments (Wild Magic and Wolf Speaker) I heartily recommend that you don't start here — you'll be completely baffled. A peace delegation including Alanna the Lioness, the Gareths and other nobles from Tortall have been sent to the hot, swampy Charthak Empire in order to negotiate peace with the war-mongering Emperor Ozorne. With them is Numair, once the Emperor's be ...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Daine, Numair and Alanna journey to Carthak, in the hope that if Daine can heal the Emperor Ozorne prized birds, it will help the peace process between Carthak and Tortall. However, Daine get mixed up in both political and religious situations as the Goddess, the Graveyard Hag, gives her a power which could ruin everything. This series has everything it has magic, action, romance and a story which draws you in and y
Stefan
Jan 08, 2011 Stefan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
I'm literally just giving all of these 5 stars cause I can't help it.

All I have to say is: NUMAIR
Noelle
[Happy sigh]
If nothing else a classic for the chapter title Daine Loses Her Temper.
Christopher
Nov 16, 2014 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Davie
Jan 24, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy, action
Third in the Immortals fantasy adventure series for children about a young girl with the ability to speak and heal animals. This particular adventure occurs in Carthak. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Tortall books on my website.

My Take
All I can say is that I hope King Jon realizes what a treasure the kingdom of Tortall has in Daine! And Daine is beginning to see Numair with a different eye than that of a young girl…more that of a young woman.

It's another moral tale
Derek
Mar 26, 2017 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the IMMORTALS series takes Daine to a new locale, where, as one would expect, things aren't nearly as simple as they are supposed to be. As a member of Tortall's diplomatic envoy, she finds herself involved in politics, both human and magical.

Pierce does a nice job of opening up the world, and showing Daine's reactions to a new culture. There's action and characterization enough to keep readers interested, and also some very funny sections to keep it from being too intense for
Cypress Ruby
Mar 14, 2017 Cypress Ruby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love this. Kadar humornya berkurang di buku ketiga ini dan ada lebih banyak politik. Interaksi Daine dan kaum juga gak terlalu banyak. Misteri ayahnya Daine juga terungkap di sini. Daine dapet temen baru, pangeran Chartak yg usinya gak jauh. Untungnya gak ada kisah2 roman remaja di antara mereka, jadi plot ceritanya tetap setia pada target pembaca anak-anak wkwkwkwk meskipun Daine sudah berumur 15 tahun, sudah bisa dianggap remaja. Hubungan Daine dan gurunya, Numair sangat mengharukan. Saya su ...more
Stella
Oct 16, 2016 Stella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the third in the Immortals Quartet, which follows the adventures of a girl named Daine with the power to talk to animals. In this book, she has to go to a land named Carthak with other people to confirm wether or not the Emperor is trying to take over the realm. She is also going to help heal the Emporers sick birds.

She meets the Emperor Mage, Ozorne (who just so happens to be based off of Ozzy Osborne.)
Daine and her fellow emissaries find out that not only is Ozorne evil, but he h
Grace
Sep 18, 2015 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-bookself
Emperor Mage

The adventure never stops in this book there is always someone new to be watching. Evil never sits, the constant talk of plots. The sound of heart ac and betrayal. The revels of new powers to bring bones from the dead, and the fight to the death. An exciting eye opening story of magic.

The Author writes mostly fantasy. She has many series and it is a very confusing stories. Many of her series are all the same people but with their own stories and tales. So a lot of the time to be abl
Kelsey Hanson
Once again, I'm that weirdo fantasy-loving girl who somehow never connected to Tamora Pierce's characters. Daine is self-righteous pain in the ass! There I said it. *hides from angry fans* Hear me out. She is has a lot of qualities that I find particularly irritating (and I said the same thing about Alanna and many other characters) Here is the short list.

1. She is never portrayed as in the wrong. Everyone tends to love her apart from villains.
2. She does that whole "what? you think I'm talente
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel Wikipedia)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Rise of a Hero (The Farsala Trilogy, #2)
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro
More about Tamora Pierce...

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)

“Someday I must read this scholar Everyone. He seems to have written so much--all of it wrong.” 605 likes
“You must tell Lady Alanna that sometime. I'd do it from a distance.” 275 likes