Start by marking “The Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1: Return of the Monster” as Want to Read:
The Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1: Return of the Monster

The Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1: Return of the Monster (The Incredible Hulk #1)

Believed to be responsible for the murder of a child, Dr. Bruce Banner and his destructive alter ego, the Hulk, flee both the police and the attentions of a sinister organization with an unknown agenda.
Published July 15th 2002 by Marvel Comics Group

To ask other readers questions about The Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1

Jeff
May 27, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
I’ve been reading comics since I was four and the Hulk has always been at the top of my list of favorite characters. There were a few Hulk issues that I would read over and over again. The first one that comes to mind was I believe titled: Here Dwelleth the Monster. Yeah, written by Stan Lee. The Hulk vs. Namor. In this one, Namor has just returned from the surface after a month of stalking Sue Richards, to find Atlantis in shambles. * He’s outraged. Hulk is going through his ...more
Lono
Jul 26, 2015 Lono rated it really liked it
description

Hollywood buddy read with my Shallow Comic Reading pals!

description

Got this bad boy on sale and man was this a good call. Haven’t read much of the Hulk historically and I’m starting to think I’ve been missing out.

description

Bruce Jones really surprised me by focusing more on the Banner half the big green guy. Might have skipped this one had I known in advance. Sorry, I like to see Hulk SMASH. In this collection, a lot of said “smashing” happens off camera and Jones frequently picks up immediately following most of t
Anne
Aug 24, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hulkamaniacs
Recommended to Anne by: Jeff

This felt a bit like that old tv show with Lou Ferrigno & Bill Bixby.
I'm still debating whether or not that's a good thing...

description

Banner wanders from town to town trying to keep one step ahead of the government agents (and other organizations) on his tail. All the while, he's trying to keep Hulk leashed. Ish.

description

He's being accused of killing a child on his last rampage, and the dreams that Banner keeps having lends credence to this claim.
Sad Hulk = Sulk
But was Hulk really responsible for th
William Thomas
Nov 11, 2012 William Thomas rated it really liked it
There was an article I read a while back, in 'Time' magazine, I believe, about inverse proportions of anger and intelligence. A study had proven that as the levels of anger and annoyance increased in a person, their intellect suffered for a certain time during and after. Problem solving skills were practically non-existent as the rage increased. Logic, the same. I'm sure we all know this from experience, though. Seeing red, we don't really think logically, rationally. So there actually is ...more
Martin
Dec 16, 2015 Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, reviewed
Back in 2001, Bruce Jones's 43-issue run started with Incredible Hulk #34, in a collaboration with legendary Marvel artist John Romita Jr..

Bruce Jones skipped the one or two issues (or six - Bendis!) that other writers might've used to set up the over-arching plot of their run on a title, and gets right down to business:

Bruce Banner is on the run, after wrecking a building (as the Hulk) and [alledgedly] killing a maybe-10-year-old kid in the process. A shadowy organisation is after him, as well
Stephen
Feb 22, 2016 Stephen rated it liked it
description

Let me say this first i never really liked the Hulk as a character because he seemed so boring to but Bruce Jones proved me wrong.

In this story of The Incredible Hulk, Bruce Banner is on the run (like always),from the law after a boy is accidently killed when he was on a rampage as the Hulk. Bruce also finds himself hunted by a mysterious conspiracy.

The Hulk does not appear a lot in this book but the story is told in such a way you don't even mind.

The Incredible Hulk a really entertaining read
'kris Pung
Jun 23, 2014 'kris Pung rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5

Surprisingly light on action especially for a Hulk book but a great start by a new creative team (currently scouring the local Libraries for the 2nd volume).
Jesse A
Jul 17, 2015 Jesse A rated it it was ok
Didn't really care for the art on this one. The story was fine just ugly.
Heath Lowrance
May 27, 2013 Heath Lowrance rated it really liked it
First thing, I want to mention that this review is not just for “Return of the Monster”; it’s for the entire Bruce Jones run on THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Even though each volume of Jones’ run stands separately to one degree or another, it IS all one long and continuing story and so I think it makes more sense to look at the entire run.

So: “Return of the Monster” begins with a great and classic Hulk premise, the kind that dates back to the old Bill Bixby TV show—Bruce Banner is on the lam, drifting f
Jedhua
Dec 02, 2016 Jedhua rated it liked it
Book Info: This collection contains Incredible Hulk issues #34-39.

description

When I finished issue #34 (i.e. the first issue), I wasn't quite sure how to feel. On the one hand, I felt hopeful since it seemed like the tone of this book was pretty much exactly what I would have wished for in a Hulk story; perhaps even before I got halfway into that issue, I could tell that the writer opted for the more dark and gritty approach for the Hulk – somewhat akin to what was used in the 2008 movie. But at the same
Sonic
Dec 09, 2010 Sonic rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how good this was and by how much I liked it! Superb writing and art all throughout!
Peter
Nov 25, 2008 Peter rated it liked it
Recommends it for: comic book fans, science fiction fans
Christian Smith
Apr 30, 2016 Christian Smith rated it liked it
There are some hulk story lines that are great, and some that are just OK. This was an OK one. The first half was rather interesting but not amazing. And then the last four issues we're just kind of crap.
Brian
Nov 20, 2016 Brian rated it it was ok
I have aways been drawn to the psychology of the Hulk. This is not that book. First two issues are standalone. Nice stories, typical as can be. Final four issues are much more about a sinister organization pursuing the Hulk. The fact that Hulk is the protagonist is almost accidental, which is disappointing. Actual story is exciting at times, but largely uninspired.
Richard Guion
Apr 13, 2012 Richard Guion rated it really liked it
I hadn't read this arc in 10+ years, but it works very well as long as you can let go of the fact that you don't need to see the Hulk very much in his own story. it's more about Bruce Banner on the run, a la The Fugitive or the Hulk's 1970s TV show with Bill Bixby. There is a shadow organization out to nab Banner's alter ego. He communicates with the mysterious "Mr Blue" via a laptop, who warns Banner when his enemies are getting too close. The artwork for this volume is by John Romita Jr, some ...more
Cameron
Feb 19, 2014 Cameron rated it it was amazing
This is what I consider "classic Hulk". Bruce Banner, tortured scientist, on the run from the government. It is written smartly, rarely showing "Mr. Green" and instead, deciding to focus on Bruce Banner. John Romita Jr.'s art is a treat as always. I'm glad I took a change on this eight dollar book which I found in the cheap bin at the comic book store. I will definitely be searching for volume two.

4.5/5
Harry
Jun 16, 2013 Harry rated it liked it
A solid re-introduction of the Hulk. Good art, some innovation (I particularly liked the silent issue, though if I had bought that issue on its initial release, I would have felt cheated), and a complete enough story. If you've been exposed to the Hulk before and didn't like him, this book won't change your mind. I enjoyed it.

Camille
Oct 04, 2011 Camille rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Bruce Jones Hulk. Acclaimed when this came out. I remember buying an issue of the singles before and somewhat liked it. But reading these volumes now I find that they are overrated. I could not suspend my disbelief. Motivations of characters are unrealistic. A lot of coincidence. Too much T&A for a Hulk book.
Timo
Apr 05, 2015 Timo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
John Romita Jr is always good artist. And when he is put to illustrate something with big characters and massive scenes, he really shines. And when the story is this well written without too many words, letting the pictures talk you end up with simple brilliance.
Good, very good.
Naomi
Jun 08, 2010 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphinc-novles
This has a great story line, I am jsut getting into super comic books and it gave enough back story that I could figure out what was going on with the Hulk even though I only had general knowledge. It sucked me in and made me want to read more
Brandt
Jul 27, 2015 Brandt rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
the problem with this volume of the Hulk is that there continual stops and starts whenever it changes creative teams. my understanding is that Jones wrote the book for a while, ago if that is the case it's a good start, even if it really has no connection to the previous volume at all.
Michael
Feb 01, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Despite the three star review, I really did enjoy this volume. I only wish this had gone further. Still, this is entirely engrossing.
Jesse VanDeWalker
Jun 03, 2012 Jesse VanDeWalker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
One of my all-time favorite arcs, Jones returns the Hulk to his origins as a horrible monster. Don't expect the Hulk to pet any 'Bambis' in this story of double & triple crosses.
Ronald
Mar 03, 2012 Ronald rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Not bad, a little dark in tone but otherwise entertaining.
The art was the weakest part of this story.
Larri
Larri rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Chbearsrule
Chbearsrule rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2008
Milkman3367
Milkman3367 rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2009
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Sammie Bullock
Sammie Bullock rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • StormWatch, Vol. 5: Final Orbit
  • Marvel 1602: Fantastick Four
  • Blue Monday Volume 2: Absolute Beginners

The Incredible Hulk (8 books)
  • The Incredible Hulk, Vol. 2: Boiling Point