Start by marking “Jane Austen: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen: A Biography

Jane Austen: A Biography

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Who was the person behind Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, and the other unforgettable novels whose characters faced the challenges in the world of country gentry in Regency England? Austen comes alive in this perceptive biography portraying the writer to be a human being with her own interests, hopes and foibles.

Published August 14th 1986 by Gollancz (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen

Gratia Léger
Very simple and brief biography. A few inaccuracies that this non-expert Austen lover noticed.
The audio version has lovely period music in between sections, which makes it sound like the audio track for a PBS documentary. Not that that's bad--but it IS an indication of what to expect.
I'm not sure this is the version I read. It was part of an audiobook collection of Austen's works, so this may be a different edition. Anyway, it was short, and gave some interesting insight into Austen as an author. She's pretty awesome. Not that she had an extraordinary life or anything, but she just seems like a pleasant person, and you've got to love her wit. I find it very sad that neither she nor her sister married, since they were both nice and pretty. I'm very grateful that we're past th ...more
This was a very simple biography of Jane Austen.
delightful if a bit dated in terms of women's career choices.
Kelly M
Nothing special about it but it is a quick read and interesting if you like Jane Austen. Its failing is that it maintains that British reserve towards its subject so that even though the author uses Austen's and family members' own letters as source material, you still don't feel like you are getting to know the famous novelist too intimately.
Emily Ragsdale
Meandering and dull; hard to follow.
I found this in a library sale and read it this summer. Refreshingly lucid and able to convey the writer as a person, her mind, experience, family, and values, without adding a lot of lurid speculation. Biography seems to have been saner back in 1938.
I like that it's short but detailed. Quite interesting. Not fantastic but a good read. I'd recommend it if, like me, you're not really a non-fiction person and are after a short biography to read. Read this on audio through the Overdrive elibrary.
It was very nice to know more about Jane Austen. I enjoyed listening to it. It offered a window see Ms. Austen's life, though it's not as intimate as I would like, but it was great.
Lisa Houlihan
May 07, 2013 Lisa Houlihan marked it as abandoned
So dull that even I, who read Austen sequels by the tumbrel, proving I am rapacious and without taste, had no interest in it.
Tanya Marie
Pretty well done audio book - short and conside bio on Miss Austen.
My first audio book from the library for my new I Touch
Erin Begel
*actually, did the audiobook.
Porsha marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Luana marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Juliana marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Candi Jayne
Candi Jayne marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Desiree marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Dorthea marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From Elizabeth Jenkins' obituary in The New York Times:

As a novelist, Ms. Jenkins was best known for “The Tortoise and the Hare” (1954), the story of a disintegrating marriage between a barrister and his desperate wife that Hilary Mantel, writing in The Sunday Times of London in 1993, called “as smooth and seductive as a bowl of cream.” Its author, Ms. Mantel wrote, “seems to know a good deal abou
More about Elizabeth Jenkins...