Blind Ambition: The White House Years

Blind Ambition: The White House Years

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Blind Ambition: The White House Years by John Dean 1976 Hardcover
Published March 1st 1976 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1976)

Animal Farm by George OrwellCatch-22 by Joseph HellerThe Godfather by Mario PuzoAll the President's Men by Carl BernsteinBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Corruption in High Places
60th out of 219 books — 233 voters
John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Best History Books
496th out of 1,341 books — 1,248 voters

More lists with this book...

Sspitzer
Just heard him speak at the Nixon library in Yorba Linda - has a new version out of this with a new introduction responding to viscious attacks against him and his wife by right wing zealot defenders of Nixon. Fascinating to revisit the watergate period, since so much of our current distrust and cynicsm about government started then.
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2008 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: my mom
I really enjoyed this book. Watergate is something I knew nothing about so I enjoyed the learning, but also it was such a thrilling story that I hated putting it down. One difficulty was keeping up with all the men and their positions especially at the beginning as new people were continually being brought into the story.
Tim Petersik
tremendous review of the most corrupt White House prior to GW
Michele Weiner
A walk down memory lane to a time when presidential felonies were frowned upon. Dean published this new edition to make sure Watergate revisionist history would not gain a foothold, and to add to what he knew then the facts that he has uncovered since. He delved back into the case again in order to pursue a lawsuit against Gordon Liddy, certifiably insane Watergate burglar and current right wing talk show host, and his co-author. These two had written that Dean's wife, the beautiful Maureen, was...more
Brian Schwartz
A lot of what Dean writes in BLIND AMBITION is self serving bullshit. Dean was the first to tell his story, so it was against his story that everybody else’s story was compared and if their version of events didn’t match Dean’s they were considered to be lies. Dean was also the first Watergate defendant to write a book and provide the public with a firsthand narrative of the scandal that gripped the nation for two years.

The book is still controversial today. Authors Len Colodny and Robert Gettli...more
Dorothea
I didn't know very much about Watergate before reading this book, so I don't really have an opinion on the truthfulness of John Dean's representation. It's kind of interesting to think of all the different factors that could affect the accuracy of this book -- not only Dean trying to protect himself or blame others, but the effect that making his testimony over and over again could have had. But then, I'll never really know.

Sometimes I wonder why people decide to write down their memoirs of a pa...more
Broadwaydon
I have just completed "Blind Ambition: the White House Years" by John W. Dean. As anyone from my generation no doubt remembers, Dean served as White House counsel to Richard Nixon and was a key player in the Watergate scandal. When a friend reviewed this book some time ago, he pointed out that Watergate and the coverage given to it played a key part in his deciding to become a journalist. For many of us who were teens at that time, our political consciousness was certainly shaped by those events...more
Heather Rothman
Jan 05, 2011 Heather Rothman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heather by: John Dean
This is a re-release of John Dean's first book and definitely worth the read either as a first-time look or as a review. He has added new material including a new foreword and afterword plus new notes based on additional information uncovered during the nine-year litigation that he was involved in after the official Watergate period had ended.

At times, it can be difficult to keep track of the various names and positions of the people involved in the myriad activities that we now place under the...more
Michael Linton
For a fan of Watergate, it is an important book to read. One thing to keep in mind is this book is written by someone convicted and he does try to makes himself appear better than he really is. It seems to be part of his personality. During his Senate hearing preparation, he was told by his lawyer to take self-righteous shxx out. He was explaining how he was telling MaGruder how to lie while at the same time telling him not to lie. The lawyer said he should just admit what he did wrong rather th...more
Rachel
Oh, so much to say. Yes, John Dean is a pompous ass in many ways, but he seems to acknowledge that as he describes his rise to close-to-power. Overall this is the most thoughtful, forthright and revealing account of the Watergate years, and the best of the participant memoirs. I have read most of them. (Avoid Jeb Stuart Magruder's book as it is self serving and extremely tedious.)

For a student of Watergate this is a must read.
Martha Johnson
I read this, of course, decades ago when we were all coping with the Watergate story. It was one of my earliest experiences with what is now all so common -- the book that follows a public and political story. It is always important to get all those perspectives. He did a good job and it gave me the fever... I still read these sorts of books so that I can find out what the media hasn't had time or inclination to cover in the earlier stories.
David-jacky Breech
When ever reading the books by former aids of Nixon during the Watergate era one must remember they are all self serving in that it comes from what the writer remembers. They all needed to pay legal fee's after many of them served time in minimal security prisons and books deals was the fastest and easiest way to pay those fee's and rebuild their lives.

Very interesting book: "A Cancer is growing on the Presidency"
Marc
I watched this guy testify during the Nixon impeachment hearings ... I lived and ate this stuff up. His book was a page turner for me. Many have said he was painting himself in a rosy portrait and I get that. But still I think he understood better than the other 3 (Nixon, Brush, Ehrlichman) that they had sullied the office of president.
Jan C
Oh, I read this years ago. When it came out. It seemed for a while like I couldn't read enough anti-Nixon books. And goodness knows, there were a lot of them.

But here was the inside story from one of the people who blew the lid off at the Watergate hearings.
Bruce
The absolute best of the watergate books by the ultimate insider. First person amazingly detailed account of all the machinations inside the White House. Reads like an exciting mystery story even though you know the ending.
Donna
It seemed a trifle self-serving (how come they get religion in prison, then shed it so quickly once they're out?) but as mentioned elsewhere, I am something of a Nixon buff, and this was a fairly interesting read.
JJ
A seminal insider account of the Watergate scandal. Albeit self-serving, Dean's tell all book will give you insight like no other on Nixon and the development of the scandal.
Linda
John Dean's book about Watergate with the new update. Good book about greed and the opportunities for misbehavior in politics.
Rob Beck
Good insight into the Nixon administration during Watergate and what took place in the cover up.
Lyn
G Gordon Liddy said if he ever saw Dean, he'd kick his a$$. Dean comes across as a sleazy lawyer.
Amanda
Interesting viewpoint on Watergate - good insider info from a key player
Mike
Very good insider's tale of the Watergate scandal.
Steven
Interesting book of the workings of the Nixon White House
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Blind Ambition and current events 2 14 Jun 09, 2013 09:45PM
  • The Arrogance of Power: The Secret World of Richard Nixon
  • The Commanders
  • Will: The Autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
  • The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street
  • The White House Years
  • Frost/Nixon: Behind the Scenes of the Nixon Interviews
  • The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict
  • Independence: The Struggle to Set America Free
  • An Imperfect God: George Washington, His Slaves, and the Creation of America
John W. Dean served as White House Counsel for United States President Richard Nixon from July 1970 until April 1973. In this position, he became deeply involved in events leading up to the Watergate burglaries and the subsequent Watergate scandal cover-up. He was referred to as the "master manipulator of the cover-up" by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). He pleaded guilty to a single fel...more
More about John W. Dean...
Conservatives without Conscience Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents, #29) The Rehnquist Choice: The Untold Story of the Nixon Appointment That Redefined the Supreme Court