Start by marking “The Tiger Prince” as Want to Read:
The Tiger Prince

The Tiger Prince

From the shimmering cities of a faraway land to the heather-scented hills of the Scottish Highlands comes this passionate tale of adventure and dangerous desire by one of America’s bestselling and beloved authors, Iris Johansen.

TIGER, TIGER, BURNING BRIGHT

In a locked room of shadows and sandalwood, Jane Barnaby first met the wickedly disturbing man whose searing blue eyes
Published December 1st 1992 by Fanfare (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiger Prince

Linda

Thoughts can be unhealthy when you assume you know the truth.

~~~~~~
Deliciously dangerous, Ruel MacLaren had but one goal: to become rich. He learned some valuable lessons in Australia, California and Africa before traveling to India. He knew Lady Luck was on his side; it was just a matter of time.

With exquisite good looks, women loved his attention. No matter where his adventures took him, he never had a problem with the fairer sex. That is, until he met the practical and unassuming Ja
Lover of Romance
It starts out with a scot Ruel McClaren head with his brother to Kasenpore, India in hopes to see the Mahajarah in hopes to buy a piece of property from him. A property that he would sacrifice almost anything for. His son, Prince Abdar asks him to spy on Jane Barnaby to find the location of the man by John Kartauk. Jane Baraby has come with her father to build a railroad for the Mahajarah in India. Jane is in charge of the job, even though on paper her father is but he is a drunk so she takes re ...more
Elis Madison
For some reason I'd been avoiding books by Iris Johansen. I think I might've had her confused with another writer whose characters always seem to me to have the depth of cartoon figures. Anyway, this one jumped out at me for some reason so I bought it used.

And boy was I surprised. The characters, even the secondary ones, are well-crafted and nuanced. So many writers in the genre seem to have only a few voices, and secondary characters sort of all sound the same, but not here.

The basics: Jane Ba
Nancy
Feb 16, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
I believe I've read other Iris Johansen books in the past, thought they were pure bodice ripper romances...but was delightfully surprised with this one. It was quite well written with a very intriguing cast of characters, a great mystery with tragedies and a great ending. Lots of stories going on with unique and in depth character studies that I was really caught up in. Enjoyed this one a lot!
Christine
Dec 04, 2012 Christine rated it it was ok
I don't enjoy reading about people being cruel to each other, especially in a supposedly romantic situation. Ruel's cruelty, regardless of whether he thought it was justified, made me feel ill. Jane's acceptance of guilt without explanation angered me.

I also felt there were large portions of the book that were highly repetitive. Certain arguments were had again and again until I could barely suppress my desire to skim.

I usually like Iris's books very much, but the plot of this one disturbed me
Buse Yakarışık
Ben bu kitabı alırken fantastik sanmıştım. Aşk kitabı çıktı. :(

Olay örgüsü genel olarak güzel olsa ve karakterlerin çeşitliliği bakımından da oldukça doyurucu bir kitap olsa da heyecanlanmam gereken sahnelerde herhangi bir şey hissedemedim. Yazar karakterlerin cinselliğinin üzerinden gitmeye çalışacağına ortaya asıl olayı koyup onun üzerinden işlese çok daha güzel olurdu. Altı yüz sayfalık aşk kitabı okuyorsam sondaki savaşın beni heyecanladırmasını isterim. Malesef bu konuda başarılı değildi.
Karen
Tiger Prince is the story of an explicit and interesting love between a hardened man, Ruel, and an independent woman, Jane. Jane works along side her father building railroads all over the world. She enjoys traveling and being free while Ruel enjoys gold and pleasure. The two face both little and big obstacles, some of those being lust and betrayal. And while the two have completely different goals, love's cruel side takes the toll of both of them.
I recommend this book for readers who enjoy roma
Jynt
Jul 30, 2016 Jynt rated it liked it
Addictive, but somewhat anti-climatic.
Karen
Julie
Oct 17, 2014 Julie rated it it was ok
it was ok
Koxecho
I enjoyed this book. There were parts that frustrated me and it lost steam for a bit in the middle. Steam as in momentum not sexiness. The first half was great and the last quarter was wonderful. I especially enjoyed the adventure aspect of the book and the varied settings (USA, Scotland, India, island off the coast of India...) the whole "tiger" thing seemed a little contrived and forced but all in all I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'll hang on to it and plan on reading it again some day.
Jessica
Overall this was a pretty good book. But I generally don't enjoy books where there is a heavy revenge plot of making the heroine feel like a whore, to humiliate her to satisfy revenge. I don't know how realistic it is to get past having someone treat you that way, so that's why I stopped at the three stars. I did really enjoy the side story of Kartuak and Margaret. There better be another book for just them though, because I didn't like them ending in the book with just a promise.
Aisha
Apr 29, 2012 Aisha rated it did not like it
I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't make it through this book. The hero was odious. Yes, odious. He wasn't appealing in the least as human being - and I don't be physically. If I can't understand why the heroine would want to be with her love interest, then there is something seriously wrong. I hated him so much, and the plot was so slow, that I honestly didn't care how it was resolved. If I could, I would give this book no stars at all.
Eris Kelli
Sep 29, 2012 Eris Kelli rated it it was amazing
What I loved about this book would take me forever to express. In an effort to keep this short and sweet I'll just hit the top three reasons. The characters main and side where all awesome! Each one had a purpose and brought out of me the reader exactly what they were supposed to.
Number two: what an adventure!
Number three: Iris Johansen hit upon all my senses and ran the full range of emotions in this page turning, exciting romance.
Elyse Russell
Oct 12, 2010 Elyse Russell rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I was severely disappointed with this book. I found the main male character to be completely cruel and unforgivable. His revenge plot of making the main character feel like a whore and using her sexually disgusted me. This plotline was completely abusive and morally repugnant. I love Johansen's thriller novels, and this is the only romance book of hers that I've read, but based on this, she should stick with the thrillers.
Songül
Jan 21, 2016 Songül rated it it was ok
Kitabın ilk çeyreğinde karakterleri anlamak için uğraştım , karmaşık bir düzlemde ve kurguda birleşen tuhaf bir hikaye gözüyle bakarken , yarısından sonra sürükleyici gelmeye başladı . Kadın karakterleri çok sevdim diyemem .. Aldıysanız ve okumayı planlıyorsanız kafanızın sakin olduğu bir an başlamanızı tavsiye ederim :))
Mayumimiel
Jun 24, 2012 Mayumimiel rated it really liked it
superb story! i love the way the author plotted their love story. their love for each other developed gradually and was tested by time and events.
aside from the main story, the author added 2 more unique love pairs that kept me more interested with the book.
Clarissa
Feb 15, 2013 Clarissa rated it it was ok
This is my least favorite iris johansen "historical romance" I don't enjoy the railroad building parts and I don't love the hero. I expect more from iris johansen and she almost never disappoints.
Ava Miles
Aug 16, 2013 Ava Miles rated it it was amazing
This book is still one I pick up at 11 pm and read until 2 am. The exotic landscape and the steamy plot never disappoints. I wish Iris had never stopped writing historicals. :(
Ellie
May 08, 2012 Ellie added it
I truly classic Iris Johansen. Enjoyed the ups and downs of the characters as they finally find their way together. Worth to read if a Johansen fan.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Well this is a bummer. I read this book and have a little note indicated it was enjoyable but I can't remember much of it. It has been a while though.
Nicole
Jun 27, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: romancish
I read Iris Johansen in high school. I used to go to the mini mall near my house to a quiet place called the Book Peddler.
T
Jan 18, 2010 T rated it really liked it
This one also another great book from Iris and couldn't put down. Read this same time as The Conquest which was in early 2000.
Cynthya Amande
read this book in high school,and I still wanna read it AGAIN. It had steamy scenes, enough to make me blush now.
Marie
Feb 04, 2015 Marie rated it liked it
I prefer romantic suspense over pure romance and this is primarily an historical romance.
Stacy
Usual overly dramatic angry male rape fantasies and raw sex masquerading as romantic love
Shaunna
Jan 17, 2013 Shaunna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Good romance. Quick and easy read.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it
  • Whispers of Heaven
  • Speak Only Love (Regency Duo, #1)
  • The Portrait
  • The Book of True Desires
  • Imagine
  • The Gypsy Heiress
  • Intimate Enemies
  • Lady Thief
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • Lady Whilton's Wedding
  • The Finer Things (Saint Georges, #2)
  • Once an Angel
  • Tempted
  • Amelia
  • Golden Paradise (Russian series/Kuzan Family series, #4)
  • Shadow Play
  • Moontide Embrace
  • Devil's Mistress
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...