Start by marking “Treasure Forest” as Want to Read:
Treasure Forest

Treasure Forest

How can you retrieve a treasure from the bottom of a pond without disturbing the water?

This is the challenge left for Ben Maclennon by his grandmother, and the start of an enchanting new trilogy that will take readers deep into the heart of the natural world-and into the secrets of their own souls...

After Grandma Daphne dies, Ben and his sister convince their parents t
Published April 4th 2006 by Ace Trade (first published 2003)

Virginia
Oct 29, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fantasy
I find myself pausing and trying to figure out what I want to say here.

I did like this book. I enjoyed the story and the premise and the style of writing.
But I liked best how it reminded me of things I know - or should know, how it brought up memories of childhood explorations, and the realizations about my life that occurred as I read this book.

I realized I've been "stashing" books like I stash yarn. A special skein of yarn I will use - later.
After reading the first few chapters, I put down
Aika
Jan 09, 2012 Aika rated it really liked it
Running through the forest, climbing trees, and sneaking out of the house from a window; all things that a person of any age can relate to. The adventure, thrill, and excitement hit your face while reading the astonishing novel, Treasure Forest. Cat Bordhi takes you on a journey that will keep you wandering further and further, going deep through the trees and meeting animals of all shapes and sizes. Treasure Forest is an illuminating novel because Bordhi marvels you throughout the book with qu ...more
Helen
Sep 09, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it
I bought this book when caught up in the frenzy of being amazed at her boundless creativity that you can't help but feel at the end of a knitting workshop with her. I was curious as to where that ability to make connections that others don't would take her in writing a novel; after all, where it takes her when she'd got yarn and needles in her hands is pretty amazing.

Then, I let the book rest on my shelf for years, untouched. I'm sorry I waited so long. This is a wonderful tale about two childre
Christina
Jun 19, 2007 Christina rated it it was ok
I wouldn't recommend this book. The story was really original and interesting, but Bordhi didn't NEARLY go far enough or deep enough. It won a Nautilus Award, but I'm not really sure why. The writing was average, the characters were flat, and the plot didn't move at a very good pace. It also ended far before I wanted it to in the story.

I'm seeing now that it's part of a Trilogy, though, and maybe that's why it seemed to end abruptly. Okay, I'll forgive that if Bordhi's writing two more, but I d
Chessa
Jul 02, 2008 Chessa marked it as to-read
Recommended to Chessa by: Powells shelf card
Ugh, I just couldn't finish this book. Mostly it was the fact that it is the first in a trilogy that has been out for SEVERAL years and the other two are no where in sight of being published. I can't take that crap. I'm fine (not thrilled) with books that have sequels that aren't out yet but are DEFINITELY coming out in the next few years. But this has nothing on the horizon. The characters were pretty flat and I just wanted a lot more out of it. Disappointed.
Kelly Flanagan
Aug 22, 2010 Kelly Flanagan rated it liked it
This starts off as a great idea for a book. It talks about 'the dearest freshness deep down in things'. It shows how important it is to hold the best of everything and everyone inside you. it shows the importance of meditation and the intense satisfaction of non-materialistic ways.
Unfortunately, there is no 2nd or 3rd book to this trilogy. I am saddened as it teaches important strengths to youths. Maybe she will write the rest, but 7 years is a long time to wait.
Nikki
Feb 11, 2009 Nikki rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: spiritual knitters/spinners
Shelves: knitting
I enjoyed the general message and was very curious as to where the story was going, but I think the overall concepts were a little too... ethereal, maybe... for me. I'm not a spiritual person, though I do grasp a sense of connectedness on a basic level, so I'm sure that has something to do with my level of appreciation for this story.

With that said, whenever she writes the rest of the trilogy I'll likely give them a read, as well.
Cosmic Sher
Jan 15, 2009 Cosmic Sher rated it really liked it
Shelves: fabulous-fiction
This is a beautiful story of how to find "the dearest freshness deep down in things" through the eyes of two enlightened children. It is truly a book for the soul seeking that which you already are.
Candice
Nov 30, 2013 Candice marked it as i-give-up  ·  review of another edition
I read this almost to the very end. I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. The imagery of the forest was lovely, but toward the end I just lost my interest for the story and finding out how it ends.
Pam
Oct 01, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
This book was fun for me because I have been to knitting workshops with the author. She is as imaginative as the forest in her book. Her great books are her knitting instruction books.
Kpennathur
Feb 02, 2010 Kpennathur rated it liked it
I thoguht it was ok...like the action, but I thought it couldl have been written better
Jo
She was trying so hard to make a point that she only made a mediocre story.
Astra Bluebelle
Mark
Mark rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2016
Manny Sanchez-Curtis
Manny Sanchez-Curtis rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2016
Goddess of Chaos
Goddess of Chaos marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Cheryl Hilten
Cheryl Hilten rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Julie Crites
Julie Crites marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Kat
Kat added it
Mar 29, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Jewett
Jewett marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Ruth Sweet
Ruth Sweet marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Cfcdcfc Han
Cfcdcfc Han is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
alysha
alysha marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Cat Bordhi became a writer at age twelve when she discovered the power of writing to an audience that is hungry and fully present, which at the time was herself and her closest friends, and the form was shared journals and letters. Like a raccoon washing its food in a creek, Cat learned to wash her experiences in a clear stream of words that hummed with something deeper than the confusion and drea ...more
More about Cat Bordhi...