Treasure Forest

Treasure Forest

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  14 reviews
How can you retrieve a treasure from the bottom of a pond without disturbing the water?

This is the challenge left for Ben Maclennon by his grandmother, and the start of an enchanting new trilogy that will take readers deep into the heart of the natural world-and into the secrets of their own souls...

After Grandma Daphne dies, Ben and his sister convince their parents t...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Ace Trade (first published 2003)

Virginia
I find myself pausing and trying to figure out what I want to say here.

I did like this book. I enjoyed the story and the premise and the style of writing.
But I liked best how it reminded me of things I know - or should know, how it brought up memories of childhood explorations, and the realizations about my life that occurred as I read this book.

I realized I've been "stashing" books like I stash yarn. A special skein of yarn I will use - later.
After reading the first few chapters, I put down...more
Aika
Running through the forest, climbing trees, and sneaking out of the house from a window; all things that a person of any age can relate to. The adventure, thrill, and excitement hit your face while reading the astonishing novel, Treasure Forest. Cat Bordhi takes you on a journey that will keep you wandering further and further, going deep through the trees and meeting animals of all shapes and sizes. Treasure Forest is an illuminating novel because Bordhi marvels you throughout the book with qu...more
Helen
I bought this book when caught up in the frenzy of being amazed at her boundless creativity that you can't help but feel at the end of a knitting workshop with her. I was curious as to where that ability to make connections that others don't would take her in writing a novel; after all, where it takes her when she'd got yarn and needles in her hands is pretty amazing.

Then, I let the book rest on my shelf for years, untouched. I'm sorry I waited so long. This is a wonderful tale about two childre...more
Christina
I wouldn't recommend this book. The story was really original and interesting, but Bordhi didn't NEARLY go far enough or deep enough. It won a Nautilus Award, but I'm not really sure why. The writing was average, the characters were flat, and the plot didn't move at a very good pace. It also ended far before I wanted it to in the story.

I'm seeing now that it's part of a Trilogy, though, and maybe that's why it seemed to end abruptly. Okay, I'll forgive that if Bordhi's writing two more, but I d...more
Chessa
Jul 02, 2008 Chessa marked it as to-read
Recommended to Chessa by: Powells shelf card
Ugh, I just couldn't finish this book. Mostly it was the fact that it is the first in a trilogy that has been out for SEVERAL years and the other two are no where in sight of being published. I can't take that crap. I'm fine (not thrilled) with books that have sequels that aren't out yet but are DEFINITELY coming out in the next few years. But this has nothing on the horizon. The characters were pretty flat and I just wanted a lot more out of it. Disappointed.
Kelly Flanagan
This starts off as a great idea for a book. It talks about 'the dearest freshness deep down in things'. It shows how important it is to hold the best of everything and everyone inside you. it shows the importance of meditation and the intense satisfaction of non-materialistic ways.
Unfortunately, there is no 2nd or 3rd book to this trilogy. I am saddened as it teaches important strengths to youths. Maybe she will write the rest, but 7 years is a long time to wait.
Nikki
Feb 11, 2009 Nikki rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: spiritual knitters/spinners
Shelves: knitting
I enjoyed the general message and was very curious as to where the story was going, but I think the overall concepts were a little too... ethereal, maybe... for me. I'm not a spiritual person, though I do grasp a sense of connectedness on a basic level, so I'm sure that has something to do with my level of appreciation for this story.

With that said, whenever she writes the rest of the trilogy I'll likely give them a read, as well.
Cosmic Sher
This is a beautiful story of how to find "the dearest freshness deep down in things" through the eyes of two enlightened children. It is truly a book for the soul seeking that which you already are.
Candice
Nov 30, 2013 Candice marked it as i-give-up  ·  review of another edition
I read this almost to the very end. I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. The imagery of the forest was lovely, but toward the end I just lost my interest for the story and finding out how it ends.
Pam
This book was fun for me because I have been to knitting workshops with the author. She is as imaginative as the forest in her book. Her great books are her knitting instruction books.
Kpennathur
I thoguht it was ok...like the action, but I thought it couldl have been written better
Jo
She was trying so hard to make a point that she only made a mediocre story.
Astra Bluebelle
reading it, sounds good,someone died in chapter 1
Autumn
Worst book I ever read.
Ronnie
Ronnie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Sahil Dharamsi
Sahil Dharamsi marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Grace
Grace added it
Mar 14, 2014
Jennifer Remnet
Jennifer Remnet marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Laura Dogsmom
Laura Dogsmom marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Tamra
Tamra added it
Sep 10, 2013
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cat Bordhi became a writer at age twelve when she discovered the power of writing to an audience that is hungry and fully present, which at the time was herself and her closest friends, and the form was shared journals and letters. Like a raccoon washing its food in a creek, Cat learned to wash her experiences in a clear stream of words that hummed with something deeper than the confusion and drea...more
More about Cat Bordhi...
New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One A Treasury of Magical Knitting A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting Personal Footprints for Insouciant Sock Knitters: Book Two in the New Pathways for Sock Knitters Series Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns